Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Move Support

Concept »

PlayStation Move is a motion control system for the PlayStation 3 console, allowing for fluid control of objects in a simulated 3D space.

I can't believe how shameless this is.

• 64 results
    AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AngeTheDude

I really wish Nintendo could sue them for this, but that's just my blind fanboyism talking. Am I the only one angered by this whole thing?

RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By RipTheVeins

I'm not angry, just disappointed. 

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By NickL

everyone that wants dumb controls like this already owns a wii, but i guess thats just MY fanboyism

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Cube

Holy fuck do we need like 5 threads and 10 blogs about this?

Get over it.

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Castro

Sony's been copying Nintendo since they first got into the video game industry. It's nothing to be surprised about. Especially since they announced this thing at E3 last year. Whatever. I'm sure it'll come out and be really cool and all, but it won't go anywhere. Best of luck to them though.

raggedglory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By raggedglory

I think its dumb to try and go "me too!" with the whole motion control thing, but if you seriously are angry you might need to lighten up

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Andorski

The Playstation Move, circa 2004.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Cube
    @raggedglory said:
    " I think its dumb to try and go "me too!" with the whole motion control thing, but if you seriously are angry you might need to lighten up "
    You think it's dumb to take a concept which has sold extremely well, improve upon it, and market it in a similar fashion?

LOL That's hilarious.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@Castro said:
    " Sony's been copying Nintendo since they first got into the video game industry. It's nothing to be surprised about.
    Yeah!

Like, do you remember that one time, way back when--when Sony pitched a CD drive to Nintendo, and Nintendo was all like, "Nah, we ain't game with that CD business. We'll stick with cartridges." 

And Sony was all like, "That's cool, we'll just make our own thing." 

And they made the Playstation?

Remember how they copied Nintendo then?
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Andorski
    @Sir_Ragnarok said:
    " @Castro said:
    " Sony's been copying Nintendo since they first got into the video game industry. It's nothing to be surprised about.
    Yeah!  Like, do you remember that one time, way back when--when Sony pitched a CD drive to Nintendo, and Nintendo was all like, "Nah, we ain't game with that CD business. We'll stick with cartridges."   And Sony was all like, "That's cool, we'll just make our own thing."   And they made the Playstation?  Remember how they copied Nintendo then? "
    Dude, whatever.  Who did the analog stick first?  BAM!!! =P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Andorski said:

" @Sir_Ragnarok said:

" @Castro said:

Yeah!  Like, do you remember that one time, way back when--when Sony pitched a CD drive to Nintendo, and Nintendo was all like, "Nah, we ain't game with that CD business. We'll stick with cartridges."   And Sony was all like, "That's cool, we'll just make our own thing."   And they made the Playstation?  Remember how they copied Nintendo then? "
    Dude, whatever.  Who did the analog stick first?  BAM!!! =P "
    Dawg, what you smoking. Who did awesome boot up screens first? 

KAPOW!!

(Haha.)
    Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Warfare
    @Andorski said:

" @Sir_Ragnarok said:

" @Castro said:

Atari

raggedglory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By raggedglory
    @Cube: I dont mean dumb in the buisness sense, it makes total sense and of course they want to jump on the bandwagon that is outselling everyone left and right , I meant it more in the "wow that looks retarded" sense
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Andorski
    @Warfare said:
    " @Andorski said:

" @Sir_Ragnarok said:

" @Castro said:

Atari   "
    Not familiar with the Atari line of consoles, but joysticks =/= analog sticks (if that is what you are referring to).
    Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Warfare
    @Andorski said:

" @Warfare said:

" @Andorski said:

" @Sir_Ragnarok said:

" @Castro said:

Atari   "
    Not familiar with the Atari line of consoles, but joysticks =/= analog sticks (if that is what you are referring to). "

http://www.answers.com/topic/analog-stick#History
    Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Castro
    @Sir_Ragnarok said:
    " @Castro said:

Your comment kinda went off the rails there, but I think that you are referring to that point when CD-ROM was all the rage and Nintendo wanted to get in on it so they got with Sony to develop the add-on. At some point, Yamauchi read the contract and realized that it would have given Sony ownership of the games that were released on CD. At was at this point he said, "Fuck you Sony! We still want to do CD, but we're going to have Philips do it instead!" Of course that never came out.

Sony copied the analog sticks and rumble and now this. Also, the Game Boy Camera was out way before the Playstation Eye Toy. That's just stretching it though, ass.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LiquidPrince

This has been in the works for way longer then people realize and the technology way more advanced then in the Wii so...

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Andorski

The analog stick (or thumb stick, whatever you prefer to call it) is different enough to be differentiated from joysticks.  So... Nintendo #1, w00t!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Castro: Doesn't matter. Boot screen point still stands. 

(Post-script: If you have your sarcasm-detector off, this may be an opportune time to activate it.)
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Cube
    @raggedglory said:
    " @Cube: I dont mean dumb in the buisness sense, it makes total sense and of course they want to jump on the bandwagon that is outselling everyone left and right , I meant it more in the "wow that looks retarded" sense "
    But in reality, let's think for a second.

What more can they do? They did the SIXAXIS and people laughed them out of town.

Sure, they could take an approach like Microsoft but people would laugh at them for copying MS.

Sony did a smart thing by utilizing technology they already have mastered with the PSEye. 

I'd much rather them come out with something that can actually be applied to genres (because we've already seen similar stuff on the Wii)

MS has an unproven technology on their hands that could completely backfire. Sony is being conservative and adding to an already proven concept. 

"Sony: Where ideas have to be completely original or it's not good enough for anyone."
    raggedglory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By raggedglory
    @Castro said:
    " @Sir_Ragnarok said:
    " @Castro said:
    Your comment kinda went off the rails there, but I think that you are referring to that point when CD-ROM was all the rage and Nintendo wanted to get in on it so they got with Sony to develop the add-on. At some point, Yamauchi read the contract and realized that it would have given Sony ownership of the games that were released on CD. At was at this point he said, "Fuck you Sony! We still want to do CD, but we're going to have Philips do it instead!" Of course that never came out.  Sony copied the analog sticks and rumble and now this. Also, the Game Boy Camera was out way before the Playstation Eye Toy. That's just stretching it though, ass. "
    To be fair, they copyed rumble and analogue sticks and made one of the best controller designs.  If you can take something and improve on it, thats progress.  That being said, the move looks alright at best.
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Addfwyn

My apathy for this product is about the same as my apathy for Natal and the entire Wii platform (except a couple games that are really fun and, ironically, don't use the motion controls at all).   

That said, I fail to see why improving/using existing technologies is a bad thing.  We'd never improve on anything we had if we thought that way.  

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#23  Edited By rjayb89

If I can stab a dude and determine how deep that stab can go, yo man that's pretty awesome.  And peel oranges.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @Andorski said:

" The Playstation Move, circa 2004.

"
    thankyou! 
    fucking idiots on here acting like the wii was the most original thing on earth.   

and: 
    @Sir_Ragnarok said:
    " @Andorski said:

" @Sir_Ragnarok said:

" @Castro said:

Dawg, what you smoking. Who did awesome boot up screens first? 

KAPOW!!  (Haha.) "
    they should definitely put this into ps3 with a firmware update- that is the single best boot-up ever the sound is fucking epic man. i remember when i got my first ps1 back in the day booting it up to play good old gameday 98 and i was like HOLY SHIT THIS THING MEANS BUSINESS
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Andorski

What about wireless controllers?  Wavebird says hello, bitches.

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Castro
    @Sir_Ragnarok:  Oh shit! I'm sorry. I'm just bent out of shape because of Corey Haim. I'm not myself today. I apologize.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DystopiaX
    @AngeTheDude: because they imitated a retarded piece of crap? no. 

For the record, I hate natal too.
    canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By canucks23
    @Andorski said:

" The Playstation Move, circa 2004.

"
    I remember having a demo of that on an old OPM disc way back in the day, and as soon as i saw the motion controller announced at e3 last year i though of that. Sony isn't copying nintendo as much as you guys think, they've been working on this thing forever.
    Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By Phished0ne

Hey guys,  you do know the fundamentals of technology and business right?  Company A releases technology, Company B takes the fundamental idea  and improves apon it..its how EVERY CONSOLE GENERATION HAS WORKED EVER.  

Lets see how silly this can get: 

OH Man Sony copied off of Sega hardcore when they released their game console that ran on discs, instead of  cartridges. 
     Pepsi totally ripped of Coke when they decided to make their own brand of carbonated beverages . 
     What about all the multiple brands of things like candy bars and potato chips?  Pringles totally ripped off Lays. 
      What about cars?  If business didnt work this way, we would still all be driving god-damn Model-Ts.

Its the way business works, and its the way business will always work. Next your all going to call out sony for "TOTALLY STEALING THE IDEA OF HAVING A HARD DRIVE IN YOUR SYSTEM FROM MICROSOFT"...this shits bananas man..

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By blackbird415
    @Andorski: for the analog stick atari bitch. in terms of sony and nintendo they both stole crap from eachother. I personally felt the playstation controller was much better.
    It felt like it was meant to be played with by human hands especially since that controller has won numerous innovation awards, its what current controllers are modeled after today (excluding wii mote, but including gamecube controller). They were both great consoles, but you really need to get your facts straight on the history. 

Im not outraged by sonyor microsoft for what they're doing, why get bent out of shape for this, its like yelling at microsoft for stealing the gui interface concept (except this is less practical and less important). The whole industry is trying to find something to jump at to sell because graphical quality isnt the next thing to jump to, that one just doesnt make financial sense so they're trying to pump out something cheap and different to sell to people, even if its a fad or its crap so the console can be tided over for the next 5-7 years.

nintendo is awesome, they are a good video game company, but dont shit on sony, especially for what they have done for this industry. The playstation 2 was considered the biggest consoles to date. You gotta understand, just because nintendo really jumped for it first doesnt make them the sole "owner" of the concept, real innovation comes from a collective, one taking from the other and making a new, this happens in every medium since cognative thinking. Just because one hamburger joint makes bacon cheeseburgers 
    means that no one else can have a go a making tasty bacon cheeseburgers
    Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Druminator

I just wanna play GOW3.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By gamefreak9

GOd dammit shut up... who cares who came up with it first, this isn't a dinner of first come first served. Its about whoever does it best, and all the invention did for Nintendo is give them a significant amount of time to develop theirs(almost to a point where you can't catch it).

raggedglory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By raggedglory
    @Cube said:
    " @raggedglory said:
    " @Cube: I dont mean dumb in the buisness sense, it makes total sense and of course they want to jump on the bandwagon that is outselling everyone left and right , I meant it more in the "wow that looks retarded" sense "
    But in reality, let's think for a second.  What more can they do? They did the SIXAXIS and people laughed them out of town.  Sure, they could take an approach like Microsoft but people would laugh at them for copying MS.  Sony did a smart thing by utilizing technology they already have mastered with the PSEye.   I'd much rather them come out with something that can actually be applied to genres (because we've already seen similar stuff on the Wii)  MS has an unproven technology on their hands that could completely backfire. Sony is being conservative and adding to an already proven concept.   "Sony: Where ideas have to be completely original or it's not good enough for anyone." "
    I'll concede it looks better and a bit more usable than natal, and by adding on to something alot (maybe) of people have with the PSeye, it makes it an easier sell to anyone with it since it will be cheaper, and if not, well they already had the cameras so im sure R&D was a bit cheaper too.  Either way, as much as sony will say otherwise, I'm not the target for this, the millions of people they want to steal from the Wii audience are, so I'm not surprised that I have no interest in the move, but if they can deliver on the "its like what the Wii should have been" thing and developers start making some rad games for them, then we'll see.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#34  Edited By oldschool

I just don't care.  Followers will follow.  That's life.  I have all the motion control I need thanks.  When I buy a PS3 it won't be for the Move games, rather, what the PS3 does well - HD games that are actually good (and preferably JRPG).

Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Warfare
    @blackbird415 said:

" @Andorski: atari bitch "

No Caption Provided
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Andorski
    @Warfare said:
    " @blackbird415 said:

" @Andorski: atari bitch "

No Caption Provided
    "
    Fuck.
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#37  Edited By rjayb89
    @Warfare: Whoa, those joysticks are hella throwing dark.
    blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By blackbird415
    @TwoOneFive: YYYEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS IT IS THE BEST START UP SCREEN EVER I WAS JUST TALKING ABOUT IT TODAY!!!!! 
    IM GOING TO MAKE THAT MY START UP FOR MY NEW BUILT COMPUTER!!!!!
    Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39  Edited By Kazona

Seriously, who gives a fuck? They all copy from each other in one way or another. And they always try doing it in such a way that there's not enough proof of a direct copy to be brought to court over it. That is how business works. There is no use whining over something that's been happening since the dawn of competitive industry.

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By blackbird415
    @Warfare: I said that in the reply. Its funny cause thats all I initially said, then changed it, low and behold you already said those exact words. It made me laugh   

@blackbird415

" @Andorski: for the analog stick atari bitch.

Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Mourne

Guys, why is this a surprise to anyone?

Everyone should know by now that Sony's R&D department consists of a small break room complete with five guys, an Xbox 360 in one corner, and a Wii in the other.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Cube
    @Mourne said:
    " Guys, why is this a surprise to anyone?  Everyone should know by now that Sony's R&D department consists of a small break room complete with five guys, an Xbox 360 in one corner, and a Wii in the other. "
    Except, posted before, was a 2004 video of (basically) the Move, or at least an early concept of it.

:)
    Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Warfare
    @blackbird415: 
    Have to school the kids :P
    elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#44  Edited By elko84

More Sony copying.  I own a Wii already, so if Sony wants me to go buy their Wii-stuff, they need to impress me with more than just mini games that I can play in Wii Sports already.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#45  Edited By AgentJ

Hey, the Wii was successful and there is an infinity of untapped potential in motion controlled gaming. It's only reasonable for them to do this. Now they just need to find ways to get people to buy it.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#46  Edited By Jeust

Yep, but dignity sure is in short supply these days... 

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Andorski
    @blackbird415 said:
    @blackbird415

" @Andorski: for the analog stick atari bitch"

Nintendo's analog stick was successful in spite of Atari's joystick.  There is a reason why joysticks were replaced by D-Pads after Atari left the console space.
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Andorski

Also... shoulder buttons. (please tell me Atari didn't do this)

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Cube
    @Andorski: Who cares...?
    blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By blackbird415
    @Andorski: yeah cause neo geo made some sick arcade games :P

you seem pretty desperate to find something  that people stole from nintendo.

Just let it go man, they did really well, the controller on the n64 was compitent but definitely not
    the best and the design itself would clearly not hold up the test of time (similar problem as psp... no second analog) 
    course there were more problem with that controller than no second analog. Even then the n64 was a great system with great games
    so was the nes, snes, gameboy, gameboy color, game boy pocket, virtua..... no. The n64 was an amazing intro to 3d but they fell behind
    because of struggling to adapt to the market properly for the longest time, their market was getting older and playing shooters, they were not
    that company. The wii helped fix that, but in a completely different direction. Now that this new direction has some proven traction (though for how long? no
    one truely knows) I say games will be the same in reality and be stagnant for a while (its kind of show already), that isnt a bad thing, there just needs to be an aging period
    and I think the time is now. The 3d and motion control are on the very same lines, popular for a good chunk of time, then we get bored, blind (from the 3d glasses) , or both 
    from that cheap technology and we go back to the heart of what video games truly are, GOD DAMN FUN NO MATTER WHAT FUCKING CONTROLLER YOU USE OR 
    GLASSES YOU WEAR, I say nintendo needs to have their next innovaiton be to take the original nes controller and make it a fluid functional controller for newer games 
    (not that weird snes controller revamp, but similar) and make that the next standard for their controller. wow I rambled alot...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.