Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Network (PS3)

Platform »

The PlayStation Network is the online service by Sony Computer Entertainment, providing downloads of games, trailers, themes and much more. The service is free, but also offers a paid version for various benefits.

150MB is not enough!

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Enigma777

So I'm backing up my PS3 saves to the "cloud" and jesus christ who made game saves so damn big!? Dragon Age and Bioshock are 12MB a piece! I have less than 2MB of space left even after I only stuck to one save per game (well, 2 for DA for each of my characters and an extra GOW3 save at Aphrodite's Chamber for those... lonely nights). 

What the hell am I supposed to do for future games?! 

:(

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Enigma777 said:
    " So I'm backing up my PS3 saves to the "cloud" and jesus christ who made game saves so damn big!? Dragon Age and Bioshock are 12MB a piece! I have less than 2MB of space left even after I only stuck to one save per game (well, 2 for DA for each of my characters and an extra GOW3 save at Aphrodite's Chamber for those... lonely nights).  What the hell am I supposed to do for future games?!  :( "
    Fallout 3 was the worst. Since there was a bug where "Goo piles" Did not go away. So each file just got bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger. 
    PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By PufferFiz

just save your main save, the rest can be put on a flashdrive or something.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Enigma777
    @PufferFiz said:
    " just save your main save, the rest can be put on a flashdrive or something. "
    Thats what I did, but I'm still tapped out...
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Enigma777 said:
    " @PufferFiz said:
    Thats what I did, but I'm still tapped out... "
    How much space do you even have frees? 
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Afroman269

Wow, that's it? I don't have many PS3 games so I would be fine but if I had a lot of games like I do with my 360, that wouldn't be near enough for my saves. Maybe you can sign up for Playstation Super Plus for 300 MB storage.....heh

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Enigma777
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @Enigma777 said:
    " @PufferFiz said:
    Thats what I did, but I'm still tapped out... "
    How much space do you even have frees?  "
    Under 2MB. Probably around 1.7
    NeVeRMoRe666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NeVeRMoRe666
    @Enigma777:  For a second, I thought you said "fapped out". heh.
    FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By FCKSNAP

They should make it 400 for yearly and 200 for tri-monthly.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sickVisionz
    @Snapstacle said:

" They should make it 400 for yearly and 200 for tri-monthly. "

hehe, also known as quarterly
    Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Punk1984

I actually only ended up with a little more than 30 MB left. I uploaded all my saves I think that was kind of a mistake like if I run out of space I'll delete some I know I won't use. It is still nice just to have the option though.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FCKSNAP
    @sickVisionz said:
    " @Snapstacle said:

hehe, also known as quarterly "
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Enigma777

I don't even have space for my Ghost Ship data in Wipeout HD :(

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By awesomeusername
    @Enigma777: Go to the game data utility and delete the games you don't play. I've found that those take up a lot of space and it's not doing anything other then having to update a game whenever you play again. 

Edit: Oops, I thought you meant that was how much space you had on the PS3. Can't help you there, just buy another usb stick. 
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xyzygy

Wow, only 150 MB? Seriously? If I was gaming on my PS3 as much as my 360 that limit would have been far exceeded, I know that some games can have ridiculously large save files.

@PufferFiz said:

I thought the whole point of the cloud save thing was because the PS3 saves are copy protected and people wanted another place to store their saves since USB isn't an option.
    Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Punk1984
    @Enigma777: I didn't upload any of my wipeout hd files there were just too many
    LinksOcarina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#17  Edited By LinksOcarina

Soon enough it will all be through terabyte hard drives, so it won't matter methinks.

Got to wait ten or so years but it should happen.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Doctorchimp

Wait what the fuck?

Plus Cloud is only at a 150 mb limit?

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By N7

Well, let's hope you haven't played Mafia 2 with it's 44MB save file.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By onarum

you shouldn't have that many games ongoing, this would be used more so you can keep you currently being played games backed up, not so you can store every single save of every single game you've ever played on the system.

But yeah 150Mb is a tad low, I think it should be at least triple that.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ShaunassNZ

I was thinking about this before, they should let you install a program to your own server to let people upload to there. So if you trust a website not to delete your saves, you can sign up to send your saves there.

Avatar image for deactivated-59fb4bc479490
    deactivated-59fb4bc479490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

FYI, save files are protected.  Anything with trophies in the game you cannot copy to a usb stick.  Backup those games first and foremost, anything that you can actually copy to a usb drive would be a good idea to save space.

That ignores the blatant fact that hard drive space is REDICULOUSLY CHEAP and sony is being stingy as hell when a 1 tb drive (1024 gigabytes, which is 1024 megabytes, so that is 1,000,202,039,296 bytes of useable space after formatting for the price of one playstation plus yearly subscription.)  Tell my, why isn't the limit 1 GB per account then.  AT THE MINIMUM you can get a dropbox integration into psn and every person has 2 gb right there.

Keep in mind folks, this whole pay to save your game is the only way to ensure you actually get to keep your saves.  If you have a ps3 die on you, ylod or otherwise, and you take the hdd into a new ps3 or a refurb'd ps3, then it formats the drive automatically to curb piracy.  Also, if you have the backup of the drive done through the backup utility then the new ps3 which you put the backup on will only get the un-copy protected content.  Meaning every save, demo, and game download is gone, and you have to redownload them all through the store, launch them to update them, and then start all over again because you lost your save.

How do I know this, it happened to me, not once, not twice, but thrice, and my 2nd ylod is sitting in the closet, number 7 was stolen and I am effing done until this bullcrap resolves itself.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By xyzygy
    @onarum said:
    " you shouldn't have that many games ongoing, this would be used more so you can keep you currently being played games backed up, not so you can store every single save of every single game you've ever played on the system.  But yeah 150Mb is a tad low, I think it should be at least triple that. "
    I was under the impression that the purpose of cloud saves were to have a backup of all your old save files if your hard drive fails.
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Shadow

I'd say that's enough to save the stuff you actually care about.

The_Painted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The_Painted
    @xyzygy:  Not every PS3 game has protected saves. You can easily back up most saves to a flash drive, since there are only a few games that use protected saves.

But yes, 150mb seems like it wouldn't be enough for some people. I personally don't have a problem with it since I only have a few saves that I actually care about it, but I can see why people would complain.
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By onarum
    @xyzygy said:
    " @onarum said:
    " you shouldn't have that many games ongoing, this would be used more so you can keep you currently being played games backed up, not so you can store every single save of every single game you've ever played on the system.  But yeah 150Mb is a tad low, I think it should be at least triple that. "
    I was under the impression that the purpose of cloud saves were to have a backup of all your old save files if your hard drive fails. "
    why would you want to keep saves for a game you've beaten already? the most important ones to backup are the ones that you are still actively playing.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Enigma777
    @onarum said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    " @onarum said:
    I was under the impression that the purpose of cloud saves were to have a backup of all your old save files if your hard drive fails. "
    why would you want to keep saves for a game you've beaten already? the most important ones to backup are the ones that you are still actively playing. "
    Because you may be proud of your accomplishments? Because you may have spent hundreds upon hundreds of hours in a game and you want something to show for it? Because you may want that save file so you can import it in a sequel? 
    2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By 2HeadedNinja
    John_Lawlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By John_Lawlz

So this made me think about trophies. If your harddrive fails, and you get a new ps3, do you only get the trophies from the saves you have or do you get them all when you transfer regardless? It's never happened to me so i'm not entirely sure how this works.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By onarum
    @Enigma777 said:

" @onarum said:

why would you want to keep saves for a game you've beaten already? the most important ones to backup are the ones that you are still actively playing. "
    Because you may be proud of your accomplishments? Because you may have spent hundreds upon hundreds of hours in a game and you want something to show for it? Because you may want that save file so you can import it in a sequel?  "
    Isn't that what trophies are for? personally I don't give a crap about that stuff, when I play a game is to entertain myself not to eventually show off my "accomplishments".

Importing save status into a sequel is a valid point, but the games that do that are very few.

If you want to keep all the saves for all games you've ever played for posterity, you family heirloom or whatever you can easily do that in a 5 dollar pendrive, cloud saving is for mobility, so you can easily continue your ongoing games on any system with ease, not a complete backup solution.

But again, I agree with you that 150MB is a tad low.
    tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By tebbit
    @Snapstacle said:
    " @sickVisionz said:
    " @Snapstacle said:

hehe, also known as quarterly "
    "
    Hey, McBain? You suck!
    Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By Berserker976
    @John_Lawlz: trophies are linked to your account, so as long as you have that all of your trophies will remain intact
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#33  Edited By zidd
    @John_Lawlz: if you hard drive fails the only trophies you will keep are the ones currently synced. So remember kids: Sync your trophies.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

There is a size limit for the cloud storage? That's dumb. I mean, the people who are going to be affected by it are people who own the most games. Those people are Sony's best customers. So they buy lots of games and they pay for a PS+ subscription, and they can't store all of their files. 

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#35  Edited By JJWeatherman

I propose they go the Dropbox route: Recruit friends to Playstation and you get an added 20 megs a pop.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Enigma777
    @onarum said:
    " @Enigma777 said:

" @onarum said:

Because you may be proud of your accomplishments? Because you may have spent hundreds upon hundreds of hours in a game and you want something to show for it? Because you may want that save file so you can import it in a sequel?  "
    Isn't that what trophies are for? personally I don't give a crap about that stuff, when I play a game is to entertain myself not to eventually show off my "accomplishments".  Importing save status into a sequel is a valid point, but the games that do that are very few. If you want to keep all the saves for all games you've ever played for posterity, you family heirloom or whatever you can easily do that in a 5 dollar pendrive, cloud saving is for mobility, so you can easily continue your ongoing games on any system with ease, not a complete backup solution.  But again, I agree with you that 150MB is a tad low. "
    A.) Not all PS3 games have trophies 

B.) Trophies are not always comprehensive. Getting a Platinum =/= you 100% everything in the game
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By Bloodgraiv3
    @N7 said:
    "Well, let's hope you haven't played Mafia 2 with it's 44MB save file. "

I hope a lot of people didn't play mafia 2. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.