Congress Directing Questions Towards Sony About PlayStation Network Security Breach

• 107 results
Posted by patrickklepek (2207 posts) -

With over 77 million accounts compromised (over 100 million, bundled with Sony Online Entertainment), it was only a matter of time before Congress started asking questions. The New York Times obtained a copy of a letter sent to Sony on Friday by the Subcommittee on Commerce, Manufacturing and Trade, addressed to Sony executive Kaz Hirai.

The questions covered what you might expect, from "When did you become aware of the illegal and unauthorized intrusion?" to "Please explain why you do not believe credit card information was obtained and why you cannot determine if the data was in fact taken." 

This letter was sent last week, prior to Sony disclosing at a press conference that 10 million credit card details were potentially obtained. The company is still investigating.

The letter demanded answers by May 6, and Venture Beat confirmed with Sony it is complying.

The New York Times made the letter publicly available on its website, too. You can read it here.    
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (2207 posts) -

With over 77 million accounts compromised (over 100 million, bundled with Sony Online Entertainment), it was only a matter of time before Congress started asking questions. The New York Times obtained a copy of a letter sent to Sony on Friday by the Subcommittee on Commerce, Manufacturing and Trade, addressed to Sony executive Kaz Hirai.

The questions covered what you might expect, from "When did you become aware of the illegal and unauthorized intrusion?" to "Please explain why you do not believe credit card information was obtained and why you cannot determine if the data was in fact taken." 

This letter was sent last week, prior to Sony disclosing at a press conference that 10 million credit card details were potentially obtained. The company is still investigating.

The letter demanded answers by May 6, and Venture Beat confirmed with Sony it is complying.

The New York Times made the letter publicly available on its website, too. You can read it here.    
#2 Posted by Mijati (949 posts) -

Interesting, good to see they're involved

#3 Posted by mustachioeugene (521 posts) -

Their first question; when is PSN going to be back online?

#4 Posted by Marz (5671 posts) -

Interesting.

#5 Posted by PerryVandell (2109 posts) -

It will be interesting to read Sony's response.

#6 Posted by Danda (76 posts) -

When is this circus going to end?

#7 Posted by Winternet (8051 posts) -

So many Sony news. 

Patrick, sir, you're a machine. I hope they're feeding you well.
#8 Posted by jking47 (1247 posts) -

oh dayum

#9 Posted by Cyrisaurus (454 posts) -

Congress, you're wasting your time. This ordeal is practically over once PSN is up. They've made their statements and their apologies, do some research next time.

#10 Posted by SBYM (1219 posts) -

Polygon Man has to be flipping out right about now.

#11 Posted by Scarz09 (146 posts) -

Ahh it's a shame this happened...
#12 Posted by Mijati (949 posts) -
@Cyrisaurus said:

" Congress, you're wasting your time. This ordeal is practically over once PSN is up. They've made their statements and their apologies, do some research next time. "

" This letter was sent last week, prior to Sony disclosing at a press conference that 10 million credit card details were actually obtained."

If you'd read the article you'd have known that :)
#13 Posted by Burn1n9m4n (257 posts) -

This is nuts! Then again given the scope of the breach I suppose it was only a matter of time before the Hill started to knock on Sony's door.

#14 Posted by onimonkii (2463 posts) -

patrick "psn" klepek strikes again. i hope you don't run out of stories once this whole thing blows over man

#15 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6201 posts) -

THE GOVERNMENT!

#16 Posted by BradGrenz (60 posts) -

Sony didn't say 10 million credit card records were obtained. They said they have 10 million credit card number records in total out of 77 million PSN accounts. They still say there is no evidence they were actually accessed, that they were encrypted in any case and the banks aren't seeing PSN related fraudulent activity. They've always used the phrase "may have been exposed" which is essentially code for "we're positive they are safe but are warning people anyway".

#17 Posted by JohnPaulVann (209 posts) -

Fuck the US congress for wasting time on this issue. It ought to do something important, like reform the financial system, slash the military budget, or seriously address climate change. I repeat, fuck those bastards.

#18 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

Sony, you got some splanin' to doooooo!

#19 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11379 posts) -

I mean, it's good that someone's looking into this, but shouldn't it be some federal agency, and not the Congress? Shouldn't they be voting on something?

#20 Posted by ectoplasma (987 posts) -

God, what is it with the long news titles these days?

#21 Posted by Allison (266 posts) -
@BradGrenz said:
" Sony didn't say 10 million credit card records were obtained. They said they have 10 million credit card number records in total out of 77 million PSN accounts. They still say there is no evidence they were actually accessed, that they were encrypted in any case and the banks aren't seeing PSN related fraudulent activity. They've always used the phrase "may have been exposed" which is essentially code for "we're positive they are safe but are warning people anyway". "
To be fair you don't need to link a credit card number to a PSN account, and - at least before the TOS changed and led into this fiasco - you were able to remove a credit card number from your account as well.
#22 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4858 posts) -

Forgive my ignorance, but how is this any of Congress's business?

#23 Posted by Roasted (70 posts) -

Sony's on the ropes, a wild Congress appears.
DUN DUN DUN
FINISH THEM!

#24 Posted by MackGyver (596 posts) -
@JohnPaulVann said:
" Fuck the US congress for wasting time on this issue. It ought to do something important, like reform the financial system, slash the military budget, or seriously address climate change. I repeat, fuck those bastards. "

Looks like Congress is anxious to game on PSN again too.
#25 Posted by shadystx (182 posts) -

I do find it strange that Sony can tell us that certain data has been obtained through an illegal attack but they do not know if CC data was taken, In the email they sent they bascially just said it could have been we are not sure, How are they not sure, I am assuming they know that data was accesed but do not know whether it had been copied or whatever it is the hacker does, they know are other info has been obtained so how do they not know about the most important info, is cc info monitored less than user details.

Anyway hope this all blows over soon and the damage is minimal to both PSN users and Sony, I like to game and Sony have been making some great hardware and games for years now, i would like it to continue.

It's been a very hard generation for Sony after 2 gens of being king they have had some shit thrown there way this gen.

#26 Posted by Generic_username (634 posts) -

Is there any way for them to get at the hacker gangs instead...? I understand that they're anonymous, but there must be some way to trace them. This was kind of a big deal, you know? Sony is at least doing what they can to solve the issue now.
#27 Posted by lamperIIe (10 posts) -
@BradGrenz said:
They've always used the phrase "may have been exposed" which is essentially code for "we're positive they are safe but are warning people anyway". "
100% agreed on this. I wish they had erred on the side of caution earlier, though.
#28 Posted by xAbleAssassinx (199 posts) -
@ectoplasma said:
" God, what is it with the long news titles these days? "
Go read TMZ.
#29 Posted by Generic_username (634 posts) -
@JohnPaulVann:
To be fair, asking a company two questions probably doesn't take that long.
#30 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -
@GunslingerPanda said:
" Forgive my ignorance, but how is this any of Congress's business? "
Congress was petitioned to investigate because when the banks have to process all the man hours for 70 million new credit cards to customers free of charge they are going to sue the pants off Sony.
#31 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@BradGrenz said:
" Sony didn't say 10 million credit card records were obtained. They said they have 10 million credit card number records in total out of 77 million PSN accounts. They still say there is no evidence they were actually accessed, that they were encrypted in any case and the banks aren't seeing PSN related fraudulent activity. They've always used the phrase "may have been exposed" which is essentially code for "we're positive they are safe but are warning people anyway". "
May have been exposed is legalese for probably have been exposed.  Run what I'm saying by any decent lawyer and you'll see I'm right.  You should be spending more time informing yourself of the realities of identity theft and less time defending a company which has done you wrong.
#32 Posted by zacpacdotnet (2 posts) -

Wait... Congress is open this week?  Oh where have I been...

#33 Posted by FormulaDeuce (240 posts) -

I wonder if anybody from Congress actually has a PSN account? In the early days of Blu-ray, the PS3 was considered the best and less expensive player for a while. So some might have bought one and created any account for their kids or something. Maybe not, but ya know...   maybe?

#34 Posted by KamikazeCaterpillar (1130 posts) -

G. K. Butterfield is one of the greatest names I have ever seen.

#35 Posted by Milkman (17308 posts) -
@JohnPaulVann
Fuck the US congress for wasting time on this issue. It ought to do something important, like reform the financial system, slash the military budget, or seriously address climate change. I repeat, fuck those bastards.
Millons of people having their credit card information stolen is kind of a big deal.
#36 Posted by Hichael (172 posts) -

Holy shit yo, video games!

#37 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

I love that Patrick has joined Giant Bomb. This has become the most up-to-date videogame website around.

#38 Posted by Lukeweizer (2763 posts) -

Too bad Canadian Parliament probably won't do anything.

#39 Posted by lacke (360 posts) -

Giantbomb is pretty much the only gaming website I visit and unfortunately is was down when PSN was brought down.

I'm curious, when was Sony's first press release about PSN being down?
#40 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6310 posts) -

Is it bad that I'm starting to pity Sony?

#41 Posted by leftzero101 (86 posts) -
@JohnPaulVann:
Really?
#42 Posted by BradBrains (1170 posts) -
@mustachioeugene
Their first question; when is PSN going to be back online?
More direct question when can I play mortal kombat online again? I finally feel slightly confident in my skills maybe
#43 Posted by Banky (10 posts) -

Al least it looks like most of the credit card information is from expired cards.

#44 Posted by BelligerentEngine (348 posts) -
@JohnPaulVann said:

" Fuck the US congress for wasting time on this issue. It ought to do something important, like reform the financial system, slash the military budget, or seriously address climate change. I repeat, fuck those bastards. "

" the Subcommittee on Commerce, Manufacturing and Trade"

Oh fuck me a committee on commerce, manufacturing and trade addressing an issue that pertains to those three issues. Read the actual article next time you mongoloid.
#45 Posted by Zelus (8 posts) -

How dare Sony get hacked, I want them indicted before a grand jury.

#46 Posted by wickedsc3 (1046 posts) -

Glad to see someone is making them provide some proof.

#47 Posted by Dynamitekyle (560 posts) -

Pretty great time to join Whiskey, eh Patrick?

#48 Posted by Little_Socrates (5711 posts) -
@JohnPaulVann said:
It's not like all of US Congress is on the issue. There are committees in Congress that overlook legislation before sending any bill to law; and, as the article states, the particular part of Congress looking at this issue is the  Subcommittee on Commerce, Manufacturing and Trade. Right now, in those fields, there are few even similarly important issues happening right now. Just because the financial system needs work, climate needs to change, and the military is blown up in funds right now doesn't mean the rest of the issues suddenly cease to matter.

This is 77 million people's information we're talking about, and 10 million users' credit card numbers on top of that. Those are not exactly small numbers.
#49 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@JohnPaulVann

PSN is way more important than at least two of those things.
#50 Posted by Aclam (2 posts) -

What a long strange saga...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.