Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Network (PS3)

Platform »

The PlayStation Network is the online service by Sony Computer Entertainment, providing downloads of games, trailers, themes and much more. The service is free, but also offers a paid version for various benefits.

PSN Still Down, Sony Not Sure If Your Personal Information Has Been Stolen

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 75

#201  Edited By fisk0  Moderator
    @Gumby:  It's obviously the same thing! Just like piracy and terrorism!
    louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#202  Edited By louiedog
    @fisk0:

Yeah, I hadn't seen it all in one post and it seems like it addresses everything pretty well so I thought it was worth sharing.
    ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#203  Edited By ptys

I feel this is a shame as it'll only strengthen the resolve of Microsoft charging for XBL. What's worst is that it happened on Mortal Kombat week where PS3 pre-sold the most copies so the majority can't even play online!

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#204  Edited By yakov456

No need for people to get so worried. As long as your CC is not with some fly by night bank you should be fine. If some sketchy stuff goes down you will either know about it because you are responsible and check your activity online, or your bank will notify you, which is what happened to me a couple of months ago. I don't even own a 360 but someone charged my card three times in a row for 75 buckaroos on Live, the bank called/emailed me and problem solved with new card issued. Calm down people.

Lukin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By Lukin
    @fisk0 said:

" @louiedog said:

"

Ok, I've seen a bunch of speculation of why people think PSN is down, and I thought I should just post what the community knows in comparison to what Sony is telling everyone. The truth is, there was a new CFW (custom firmware) released known as Rebug <redacted so GB mods dont ban me :)>. It essentially turns a retail console into a dev console (not fully, but gives you a lot of the same options that usually dev's only have access to). Anyway, this new CFW was quickly figured out to give CFW users access to the PSN network again via the dev networks. With a little manipulation of the URL's through a proxy server you could get your hacked console back online. Not that big of a deal, right? Well, it also turns out that some people over at NGU found out that you could provide fake CC# info and the authenticity of the information was never checked as you were on Sony's private developer PSN network (essentially a network that Sony trusted). What happened next was extreme piracy of PSN content. Sony realizing the issue here shut down the network. Now, before you go freaking out about the latest information posted about Kotaku, no ones personal information was accessible via this hack. Not to say they couldn't get it, but no one is admitting to it being available. Anyway, that's the real reason for the PSN downtime. Sony is now rebuilding all of it's PSN servers to be more secure and (hopefully) make sure the CFW users cannot get online anymore.

source "
    Great post, it's been mentioned before, but seems to get drowned in the floods of people reiterating the unsubstantiated claim that anonymous were behind it. "
    Looks like Eurogamer are running with this story now, common sense prevails?

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By fisk0  Moderator
    @louiedog: Yeah, your post was more comprehensive than those I've posted, since I wasn't sure how to describe it I was mainly linking to the neogaf thread where they discussed that.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#207  Edited By AhmadMetallic

and people ridicule me for not giving away essential personal information online/purchasing stuff on the internet..

what do you have to say for yourselves now? my PSN ID doesn't include any credit card numbers that could make any hacker steal my money

however i only wish luck to any users in danger and i hope no one gets ripped off badly

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By fisk0  Moderator
    @Lukin said:
    " @fisk0 said:

" @louiedog said:

"

Ok, I've seen a bunch of speculation of why people think PSN is down, and I thought I should just post what the community knows in comparison to what Sony is telling everyone. The truth is, there was a new CFW (custom firmware) released known as Rebug <redacted so GB mods dont ban me :)>. It essentially turns a retail console into a dev console (not fully, but gives you a lot of the same options that usually dev's only have access to). Anyway, this new CFW was quickly figured out to give CFW users access to the PSN network again via the dev networks. With a little manipulation of the URL's through a proxy server you could get your hacked console back online. Not that big of a deal, right? Well, it also turns out that some people over at NGU found out that you could provide fake CC# info and the authenticity of the information was never checked as you were on Sony's private developer PSN network (essentially a network that Sony trusted). What happened next was extreme piracy of PSN content. Sony realizing the issue here shut down the network. Now, before you go freaking out about the latest information posted about Kotaku, no ones personal information was accessible via this hack. Not to say they couldn't get it, but no one is admitting to it being available. Anyway, that's the real reason for the PSN downtime. Sony is now rebuilding all of it's PSN servers to be more secure and (hopefully) make sure the CFW users cannot get online anymore.

source "
    Great post, it's been mentioned before, but seems to get drowned in the floods of people reiterating the unsubstantiated claim that anonymous were behind it. "
    Looks like Eurogamer are running with this story now, common sense prevails?

"
    Yeah, while it has yet to be officially confirmed, it's the explanation that makes the most sense and fits the best with the sparse information Sony has given us.
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#209  Edited By Aus_azn

Well, I'm glad that I don't use my credit cards on PSN... That's one thing out of the way. My address, on the other hand...Fuuuuuuu--

Lukin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By Lukin
    @fisk0:  even if this turns out to be the real reason I doubt Sony will ever admit it officially. And if it is what has happened would it reopen the Geohotz case as he appeared to have unlocked the door to all this
    LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By LiquidS

Jokes on you hackers! My Credit Cards are all maxed already =p

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#212  Edited By SomeJerk

Should have sent someone to take Hotz's life and not his computers. I'd have done the deed myself.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#213  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Gumby said:
    " I can't believe people are comparing hacking to murder. . .  "
    The irony is that these people that hate hackers are the ones complaining about console piracy.  I got 10 bucks these are the same fools that pirate movies, anime, music, etc.  
    Kavrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By Kavrik

I find it hard to believe they actually had people working "round the clock" on a holiday weekend to resolve this issue. They probably only really started putting time into fixing, stabilizing, or rebuilding whatever it is that is wrong today.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Kavrik said:
    " I find it hard to believe they actually had people working "round the clock" on a holiday weekend to resolve this issue. They probably only really started putting time into fixing, stabilizing, or rebuilding whatever it is that is wrong today. "
    They don't have Easter in Japan.  Sony's servers are all JPN based.
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#216  Edited By chaser324  Moderator  Online

I've definitely been keeping a close eye on my bank account ever since Sony let slip that this was an external intrusion. It would be nice if they could let me know if I need to go ahead and cancel my credit card or if I can relax a little bit.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#217  Edited By C0V3RT

I'm sure if my personal information was stolen, Sony will think making it right is giving me a free copy of Stacking and a free month of PlayStation Plus. Yay! /End sarcasm/

BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By BlackHeronBlue

I can't believe it's not butter.

zor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 18

#219  Edited By zor
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Gumby said:
    The irony is that these people that hate hackers are the ones complaining about console piracy.  I got 10 bucks these are the same fools that pirate movies, anime, music, etc.   "
    You mean it isn't ok to steal 8000 songs to put on my ipod?

On a side note, if the stories of people using CFW to steal from PSN are true, then, why doesn't Sony just keep the PS store down, and bring the gaming servers back up?
    Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 9

#220  Edited By Nomin

XBox Live

Gumby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By Gumby
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Kavrik said:
    " I find it hard to believe they actually had people working "round the clock" on a holiday weekend to resolve this issue. They probably only really started putting time into fixing, stabilizing, or rebuilding whatever it is that is wrong today. "
    They don't have Easter in Japan.  Sony's servers are all JPN based. "
    My local Sushi restaurant was closed today with a sign on the door saying "Closed due to Eastern". I feel betrayed!
    Avatar image for fenixrevolution
    fenixrevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By fenixrevolution

I'm probably wrong, but I can't see how it would take so long to figure out whether information was in fact, stole or not.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By UnrealDP
    @fenixREVOLUTION:
    Well they definatley saw your information, but we don't officially know if they wrote it down or saved it or something so your probabley good....
    Zaxex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#224  Edited By Zaxex

I sold my PS3 because I never used it other than as a Blu-Ray player but it sucks for the players not to have online. 

I've played online pretty much every day since Wednesday on XBL, followed achievement data and sent and received a bunch of messages. I'd hate for it to have been down for more than about a day. You want it to be available whenever you want to use it and regardless of the actions of hackers Sony must have (or perhaps should have) had a contingency for something like this. 

Cutting the arguably most important feature of the PS3s software is incredibly detrimental; especially when it isn't back up yet and the safety of CC information is in limbo (or undetermined) as of yet. 

The worst part I'd say is that millions of people who were abiding by Sony's rules are being disallowed access to the PSN service. How many people are really getting free stuff? It's quite a big week for releases with Mortal Kombat and Portal 2; It's daunting that they expect to fix this issue and prevent it from happening in the future. Every moment they spend working on it nobody has access. What an awful way to work.

For anyone comparing the PS3/PSN and Xbox 360/XBL; this doesn't really concern that, beyond the current downtime (Did Giant Bomb's downtime make it a worse site?) and the PS3's piracy issues (Which honestly don't affect most people usually.) The games are the main concern of the consoles and they're basically the same normally.

I wish Skynet would just announce themselves so we know for sure It's rebellious machines instead of some horrifying technical apocalypse where the internet sucks.
    sopachuco13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#225  Edited By sopachuco13

Hopefully, while they are fixing that bullshit they can add in some cross-game chat as a sort-of apology. Wouldn't that be a nice gesture?
    FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#226  Edited By FesteringNeon
    @sopachuco13 said:
    " Hopefully, while they are fixing that bullshit they can add in some cross-game chat as a sort-of apology. Wouldn't that be a nice gesture? "
    haha I thought about that too.
    Seriously doubtful though.
    Towers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By Towers
    @sopachuco13 said:
    " Hopefully, while they are fixing that bullshit they can add in some cross-game chat as a sort-of apology. Wouldn't that be a nice gesture? "
    That would be nice.

Perhaps they could just implement it to the PS+ Users like myself who were told that it would be coming to us soon enough.
    lspear76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By lspear76

I believe my credit card number was stolen from PSN. Last week, I had a strange charge on my debit card from World of Warcraft ($1) and then a $50 itunes charge. I haven't made a purchase on itunes for about 2 years and never entered this particular card in itunes. I do however use this card for purchases from Playstation Network. I had to get the debit card canceled. Soon after that, I try to sign in to PSN and it was down. I had no idea about PSN being down or having problems of any kind, since I hadn't signed in for about 2 weeks. At the time I was trying to think what online store could have been hacked, since this was a relatively new card. I only use it at eStarland, Xbox Live, and PSN. So be on the look out for weird charges from itunes...

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By Mars_Cleric

good thing I've never bought anything off PSN

sopachuco13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#230  Edited By sopachuco13
    @Towers said:
    " @sopachuco13 said:
    That would be nice.

Perhaps they could just implement it to the PS+ Users like myself who were told that it would be coming to us soon enough.
    "

You are preaching to the choir. I am also a plus member. I have been waiting for that cross game chat for...awhile. I guess I'll keep waiting, or I'll keep using my Xbox to chat while playing P3. I just hope Sony knows that because of this I am killing the Earth faster.
    OverLord00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By OverLord00

I. Just. Want. To. Play. Mortal. Kombat. Online....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RAWWWWWRRRRRRRRRRR

Alright, now seriously, I really hope that no ones personal info is at risk - this includes me.
    This whole mess just seems like a catastrophic nightmare for "the dudes" responsible for all of Sony's network security.  

I like to think that with this mess, Sony will pull through with a more secure network infrastructure and we won't ever have to worry again. . .  
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By xyzygy
    @lspear76: Wow dude that really sucks about your card being charged. Were you able to get the money refunded?
    Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By Solh0und
    @Mars_Cleric said:
    "

good thing I've never bought anything off PSN

"
    MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#234  Edited By MisterMouse

I wonder what they are going to do to make this up to everyone...

thebobster10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#235  Edited By thebobster10

Sony is really starting to piss me off. They're acting like the fucking government. Why can't they just tell us exactly what the fuck is happening. Assholes.

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By unsolvedparadox

The length and severity of this outage has really shaken my faith in the PlayStation Network, at a time when I just picked up a stack of new PS3 games and really wanted to invest myself in a console that I've primarily used as a media centre. Hopefully user data hasn't been compromised, and Sony can emerge with a much stronger network infrastructure as a result...

teekomeeko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By teekomeeko
    @Zor said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    " @Gumby said:
    The irony is that these people that hate hackers are the ones complaining about console piracy.  I got 10 bucks these are the same fools that pirate movies, anime, music, etc.   "
    You mean it isn't ok to steal 8000 songs to put on my ipod?

On a side note, if the stories of people using CFW to steal from PSN are true, then, why doesn't Sony just keep the PS store down, and bring the gaming servers back up?
    "
    Probably because they figure since something was truly fucked, they may as well work on the whole shebang and re-secure everything from scratch. Honestly, I'm fine with it. I'd rather have a week or whatever off of PSN that will lead to more security in the future than have the entire PlayStation brand brought down by hackers pretending to be crusaders of justice.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By xyzygy

Why aren't Sony giving us regular updates. If they're working around the clock as they say they are, can't they at least give us some sort of status on their developments or progress?

fang273

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By fang273

If I was sony, there's no way I would give any type of updates until I had it locked down. Anything you say can be used against you, and that's not a position you want to be in when things are uncertain and people are already mad at you.

lspear76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By lspear76
    @xyzygy:  yes i got the money back. i'll probably use psn cards for now on.
    Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#241  Edited By Kidavenger
    @pyromaster222 said:
    " I wonder what they are going to do to make this up to everyone... "
    This is Sony you're talking about, they won't do a thing.
    Piranesi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#242  Edited By Piranesi

What we've got here is failure to communicate ... 

poltergeist13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#243  Edited By poltergeist13

Good luck to all the PSN users who are going through online gaming withdrawals....hang in there.
    kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#245  Edited By kerse

Well shit, is it possible to just get your debit number changed? Now I gotta make up a new password and go change everything ugh.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.