Sony Cuts PSPgo Price To $199

• 125 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Reuters is reporting that Sony Computer Entertainment has finally done the sensible thing and slashed the price of its digital-exclusive PSP, the PSPgo. 

Starting now, apparently, the handheld is $199 in the US, which is down from its original launch pricing of 250 bones. That's a total $50 worth of savings for a portable that we're often surprised to see major support from anymore and was often panned and grumbled about during launch for having such a big tag to begin with.

The price is being lowered in Japan and Europe, too. According to Reuters, the price will now be 16,800 yen instead of 26,800 yen in Japan. VG247 reports that the hardware now costs 160 Euros in Europe, down from its original 199 Euros price point.

Gamasutra reminds us that the PSPgo, as of the end of this September, offers over 590 downloadable games and over a thousand bits of video content as well as comic stuff. But, obviously, it can't play UMD discs, which is what most existing PSP owners seem to have a lot of.
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Reuters is reporting that Sony Computer Entertainment has finally done the sensible thing and slashed the price of its digital-exclusive PSP, the PSPgo. 

Starting now, apparently, the handheld is $199 in the US, which is down from its original launch pricing of 250 bones. That's a total $50 worth of savings for a portable that we're often surprised to see major support from anymore and was often panned and grumbled about during launch for having such a big tag to begin with.

The price is being lowered in Japan and Europe, too. According to Reuters, the price will now be 16,800 yen instead of 26,800 yen in Japan. VG247 reports that the hardware now costs 160 Euros in Europe, down from its original 199 Euros price point.

Gamasutra reminds us that the PSPgo, as of the end of this September, offers over 590 downloadable games and over a thousand bits of video content as well as comic stuff. But, obviously, it can't play UMD discs, which is what most existing PSP owners seem to have a lot of.
#2 Edited by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

The PSPgo is the first real handheld system to allow digital download of its games.

#3 Posted by JimmyJackJones (81 posts) -

Still not going to get one.

#4 Posted by roninhack (37 posts) -
@JimmyJackJones:  agreed
#5 Posted by zombie2011 (4968 posts) -

$200 is still a lot for a turd.

#6 Posted by DrBeardface (242 posts) -

A discounted piece of shit is still a piece of shit.

#7 Posted by smitty86 (697 posts) -

If people weren't buying them when they where handing out all those free games with it, why would they do it now? (granted it was just in Europe but still...)

#8 Posted by Xichro (11 posts) -

Apparently that's £127, still not worth it imo. Give me dual analogue and double shoulder buttons, y'know, just a slight bridge sticking out at the back and I'll think about it.

#9 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5250 posts) -

Hmm Sony should try that one again.

#10 Posted by Tricks73r (252 posts) -

I'd love to waste $200 on something I'll never get any enjoyment out of.

#11 Posted by darkvare (757 posts) -

no offense giantbomb but everyone is making the same joke lol

#12 Posted by Romination (2774 posts) -

Actually, I think I'd now try it. 

But what games to get? Oh, right... nothing...

#13 Posted by GS_Dan (1401 posts) -

Love my Go. It's more expensive, sure. But there is/was a great offer on in the UK where you get 10 games included with one. Smells like a decent enough deal to me.

#14 Posted by Pepto (28 posts) -
@Grissefar said:
" The PSPgo is the first real handheld system to allow digital download of its games. "
What about the GP32?
#15 Posted by nukesniper (1312 posts) -

Retailers have been cutting the price on them often enough that this doesn't surprise me. I only want one now so I can show it off to people in 15 years as if it were a Virtual Boy

#16 Posted by endaround (2136 posts) -

Who coulda known that the market for posers who wanted to pretend they had a smartphone but its really a PSP was so small?  OK its hard to blame SONY for trying the Apple route of charging more for less product but putting it in a flashy case but SONY missed the part where Apple doesn't directly compete against itself.

#17 Posted by KaiUnderneath (117 posts) -

I'd rather buy a Gizmondo.

#18 Posted by Xabu (38 posts) -

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the PSPGo but Sony's lack of support for it has been pretty depressing.  The PSP in general should be doing so much better than it really is for what it is (an argument I don't feel like getting into), and the Go stands as a good example of this.  As a regular PSP user I would love to justify owning one to myself but I can't, and I certainly can't justify it for anyone else.

As for the price, still too much I'm afraid.  A God of War: Ghost of Sparta PSP-3000 bundle is $200, and used Slims are in the ~$100-$120 range.  I really wish I could defend the Go because I think its so fascinating, but I just can't do it.

#19 Posted by FritzDude (2251 posts) -

Playstation portable ,GO...home.

#20 Posted by Sanj (2341 posts) -

I'd buy one for $50.
#21 Posted by wewantsthering (1547 posts) -

Lame. Maybe if it was $99.99.

#22 Posted by ProfessorEss (7254 posts) -
@Romination said:
" Actually, I think I'd now try it.  But what games to get? Oh, right... nothing... "
I picked up a 2000 for like 50 bucks a few months ago anf a copy of PixelJunk Monsters for 10.
I have a copy of Jeanne D'Arc here too, I'm very curious about what I'm gonna do with it beyond that.

@GS_Dan said:
" Love my Go. It's more expensive, sure. But there is/was a great offer on in the UK where you get 10 games included with one. Smells like a decent enough deal to me. "

Man I don't even know if I could pick out 10 - does it include all titles? Or is it (as usual) a huge list of two year old bargain binners?
#23 Posted by hedfone (1749 posts) -
@Sanj said:
" I'd buy one for $50. "
i wouldnt
#24 Posted by cassus (333 posts) -

Now it's only 100 bucks more than it should be. Sony is slowly getting there.

#25 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

Great, now I'll buy it!

Not...

#26 Posted by TheJohn (553 posts) -

My inner geek is yelling at me to buy one of these. Even though I already own one of the "big" ones, and never use it.
My inner geek is an idiot.

#27 Posted by mouse5050 (35 posts) -

its way tooo late.

#28 Posted by TadThuggish (900 posts) -
@FritzDude said:
"

Playstation portable ,GO...home.

"
Fucking BURN, bro!  You're like the funniest guy in the world!  I'm sure the ladies love such quick wit. ;)
#29 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

huh, but isn't there a new PSP coming out soon?  

#30 Posted by Warchief (650 posts) -

PSP 2 incoming. 

#31 Posted by webrunner (23 posts) -

Charging more for a system which has less features then your existing system, and then telling people that the reason is because people like paying extra for premium electronics.. I still can't believe there were people who actually thought this would work.

#32 Posted by Jonnyflash80 (489 posts) -

I'd rather wipe my ass with 199 one dollar bills than spend that money on a PSPGo.

#33 Posted by krystians (402 posts) -
@DrBeardface said:
" A discounted piece of shit is still a piece of shit. "
I don't own any Sony products but if they lowered the price then i would maybe... maybe consider. Or no?
#34 Posted by buhssuht (437 posts) -

lower that price again and make a bundle deal with then MAYBE i might be interest to buy one

#35 Posted by AURON570 (1672 posts) -

very worth it, but not going to buy one, gave up on portable gaming a while ago.

#36 Posted by LordCmdrStryker (346 posts) -

Don't the games for this thing cost the exact same as the actual discs?  When Sony priced them they effectively doomed this thing.

#37 Edited by Psykhophear (939 posts) -

Ah Sony. Always fumble with the pricing. 

#38 Posted by TheHT (10804 posts) -

Holy crap this thing was 250 bucks?! Why would anyone buy that? Oh right, I guess they didn't. :s

#39 Posted by rawdanger (41 posts) -

$99 or bust!

#40 Posted by Quacktastic (1066 posts) -

What's really messed up about the PSPGo, other than price and support, is that when I download something I would expect it to be cheaper than buying a physical copy.  When I look at the prices of downloadable PSP games and do a comparison at Amazon of the UMDs - the UMDs are often cheaper.  It's kind of ridiculous.

#41 Posted by Tanith (35 posts) -

I kind of forgot that this was a thing.

#42 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -

lolsony.

#43 Posted by Xanth93 (485 posts) -
@Tanith said:
" I kind of forgot that this was a thing. "
You're not alone. I completely forgot about it as well. It's still a piece of shit. If they stopped selling the PSP 3000, I'd protest.
#44 Posted by Phoenix87 (471 posts) -

I wouldn't buy a $50 PSP Go,

#45 Posted by TheHBK (5458 posts) -

Why would it matter if the PSP go doesnt support discs?  I mean, are they not trying to get new users, not people with existing collections?  i understand a big wave will be those who love the PSP, but this shows that big blunder of this system was the high price.  It should have been 199 from the start.  And right now it should be 169.  But it will never be where I want it to feel it is worth the purchase.

#46 Posted by ProfessorEss (7254 posts) -
@TheHBK said:
It should have been 199 from the start.  And right now it should be 169.  But it will never be where I want it to feel it is worth the purchase. "
At least they're consistent.
If there's one thing you can always count on Sony for, it's stuff being more expensive than it should be.
#47 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

may buy one. 

#48 Posted by Winsord (1149 posts) -

Go to $150 and I'll get one.

#49 Posted by Chris2KLee (2328 posts) -

Was already retailing for about $160 used here in Japan, and I've seen new models for about $210. If it I find one for $100, I might buy it for kicks, but with the PSP2 all but announced I guess I should just wait it out and keep my old 1000 (which continues to serve me well).

#50 Edited by tourgen (4426 posts) -

kinda happy to hear this thing was a flop.

Seriously, a closed handheld system with no hobby dev kit and no physical media?  I hope all such experiments fail miserably in the marketplace.

Seriously Sony, if you're going to 100% control the software channel you have to basically give the hardware away, or at least price it in the range of geek impulse buy. example: base model itouch.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.