Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon X/Y

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 12, 2013

The first Pokémon games on the 3DS and the first to be released simultaneously worldwide.

Actually feeling some excitement for this.

42manZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

It's been about three years, when I was a senior in High School, since I have played a Pokemon game. By the time I played Soul Silver, the game of the time, I was already on my way out. Soul Silver appealed to me as a modernization of my favorite Pokemon games, Gold/Silver, because of the concepts they introduced that were dropped in subsequent Pokemon games. However, much like Pearl/Diamond, it didn't go enough in the right direction. I wanted more story, more interactivity with the world (things more modern RPGs have given me).

A couple of nights ago I had a dream where I was playing a Pokemon game. It wasn't Pokemon X/Y, it was just a random one (that doesn't actually exist). Still, it got the bug in me to want to play a new Pokemon game, even to experience some of things that have bored me about the series in the past through repetition. I hope there will be a better story, and again I hope for more to the world, but I'm nto betting on those things.

Still, info on what this game is going to be is still pretty scarce. So it made me wonder if there are another people out there excited for this game, and what their reasons are. Would you like something new? Or something old? It is just random curiosity, if you find this thread tiresome then you are more than free to ignore it. I just want to hear your thoughts.

Cheers.

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I'll probably buy it as a curiosity, the last game in the series I played was Gold.

I'm not really sure what to expect now as it's been a while, though I doubt they've strayed too far from the turn based creature kleptomania to put me off. I would appreciate some of the first generation Pokemon to be included though, so I'm not totally lost.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Black and White were actually a lot more story focused than the previous games. Nothing incredibly deep, but it was ironically not entirely black and white and brought up some pretty interesting moral questions about whether capturing and fighting with Pokemon was actually the right thing to do (the evil team was essentially PETA). The game didn't end with the usual "beat the Elite Four and become the champion" thing either, since it was focused more on the story and resolving those matters, the elite four became something of a side goal that you could do after finishing the game.

I don't expect X/Y to do much new or different, but I'm pretty excited all the same. The Pokemon look glorious in 3D and I hope the new dimension at least brings in some new features (customisable trainers?)

42manZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@mwng said:

I would appreciate some of the first generation Pokemon to be included though, so I'm not totally lost.

From what I remember they always have a few from the original generation, and I think some from the others as well

Black and White were actually a lot more story focused than the previous games. Nothing incredibly deep, but it was ironically not entirely black and white and brought up some pretty interesting moral questions about whether capturing and fighting with Pokemon was actually the right thing to do (the evil team was essentially PETA). The game didn't end with the usual "beat the Elite Four and become the champion" thing either, since it was focused more on the story and resolving those matters, the elite four became something of a side goal that you could do after finishing the game.

I don't expect X/Y to do much new or different, but I'm pretty excited all the same. The Pokemon look glorious in 3D and I hope the new dimension at least brings in some new features (customisable trainers?)

I enjoyed your wordplay there, my good sir. I think that's cool. I know a lot of people liked BW, and that there was that pull, but at the time I was too recently wounded to be interested. I don't expect the story to be particularly deep, but something that keeps me engaged would be better than I've come to expect. I like the idea of customizable trainers, but I would rather they create characters with personality than the "silent protagonist" previous games have had.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.