Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon X/Y

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 12, 2013

The first Pokémon games on the 3DS and the first to be released simultaneously worldwide.

Is anyone else playing with EXP Share off?

• 54 results
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#51  Edited By ajamafalous

@mormonwarrior said:

I'm a little disappointed by the common statement coming from players and reviewers that this game is rather easy. I mean, the Pokemans has never been terribly difficult but I felt like at least Ruby was pretty tricky, especially when it came to catching Groudon without a Master Ball. That battle felt Final Fantasy-level of epic in a way I'd never felt in a Pokemon game.

Eh; I wouldn't call "absurdly-low legendary catchrates" a tricky mechanic, just a broken one. Even after Stun Spore and False Swiping him down to 1HP, it still took me multiple save reloads to catch Groudon because apparently 40 Timer Balls and 50 Ultra Balls weren't enough. That's a broken mechanic if I've ever seen one.

@koolaid said:

I thought about it, but I actually think the game is a lot better with the xp share on. Sure you can power up your main team pretty fast, but I like passively training alternate pokemon and then having the ability to take them for a spin to see if i like them better then my current choices.

Pokemon XY is a game you have to play the way you think is right. Everyone has to find their own balance. Trading is just a much a part of the game as the xp share. And with how easy they made trading, you can leave the first town with all six of your fav pokemon at level 20+ pretty painlessly. Its even easier if you have a friend who is farther then you. I think we all have to find our own path as far as making the game as challenging as we want it goes.

Totally agree with you there. I've had a couple friends yell at me about "not playing it right" because I was at 24 hours of playtime and still only had one badge while my friend was working on his sixth. I was having too much fun with Wonder Trade and Super Training and evolving early Pokemon with the EXP Share that I didn't care at all about advancing the story, and ultimately I think that's one of this game's strengths. They give you enough choices about what to do that everyone can have fun regardless of what they go to Pokemon for, whether it's barreling through the story with just their starter or obsessively trying to catch and evolve every Pokemon they come across or meticulously breeding for the right nature and IVs to start EV training a competitive team. As a fan of the franchise since the very beginning, this really does seem like the best Pokemon game yet.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

a classic Pokemon challenge

None of the Pokemon games have ever been remotely challenging imo.

phampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By phampire

I frequently swap my battle team to keep things fresh so I keep exp share on. I also like filling out my pokedex so once something has evolved fully I tend to swap it out. I did keep two mains for the second half of the game because I had fully EV trained them. All in all I like the revised exp share, playing like this in older gens would require a lot more grinding.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

I actually kind of like it. I'm still sort of bouncing between Pokemon so the ability to help level newer Pokemon is nice to be able to. Plus, I'v played so many of these damn games that the option to sort of lessen the grinding period is a huge bonus.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.