Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon

Franchise »

The Pokémon franchise has spawned numerous titles and spin-offs, spanning several generations of games and has an animated series that spans many seasons.

Pokemon RTS?

Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Yit

With the inclusion of 3V3 battles in Black and White, an RTS game isn't far off, right?

I mean, that crazy-ass rock-paper-scissors-ice-electric-whatever-else in an RTS setting would be really fun. 

And I would suck at it, like all other RTS games.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Yit said:
    " I mean, that crazy-ass rock-paper-scissors-ice-electric-whatever-else in an RTS setting would be really fun. "
    No, no it wouldn't.
    FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

The idea has great potential, all the elements act like a perfect system. 

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @FinalDasa: But it's not Pokémon.  Do you actually envision a horde of pikachu going to invade your enemy's base or something?
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Jimbo

No Caption Provided
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I've thought of this before. It sounds like something that could be really fun. Of course you would have to throw out the limit of 6 pokemon, but then again a 6v6 RTS could work. 

Nintendo seems pretty adamant about not changing the basic formula of the game, but this could at least bring a nice refreshing change to the franchise.

Oh well, yet another pokemon game that would be awesome to have, but like the MMO will probably not happen.

We can always hope though!

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @wolf_blitzer85: I think if it were to really work, it would need to be done like DotA or, the more recent, LoL. 

I can't really see how different aspects that befit RTS games would be done.  What would be the resources?  What would actually be the buildings where different pokémon are produced?  What do you have to destroy to win the game?  I think it's an established franchise that doesn't really fit into the genre (Pokémon, I mean).
    Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Levio

RTS's are already completely Rock-Paper-Scissors, so no change there.  But there's zero lore for this.  And Mewtwo would beat everyone.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Ryax
    @Jimbo said:
    "
    No Caption Provided
    "
    such a bad ass game
    FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @FinalDasa: But it's not Pokémon.  Do you actually envision a horde of pikachu going to invade your enemy's base or something? "

They have mini-game collections but they can't make an RTS? 
    Maybe not give me all your bases but you don't think Nintendo can't put some of their designers behind reinventing this franchise and satisfy both the kids who are keeping it alive and the now adults who started it way back when.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @FinalDasa: Yeah, they'd probably figure something out if they actually wanted to make an RTS.  But I really don't think that it would please both adults who grew up with the franchise and kids entering it.  Pokémon games have a slow start and are quite simple to comprehend, which is appealing to kids.  If they made an RTS that was too complex, kids could possibly get frustrated with it and if it was too simple, older people would have no fun playing it.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By PureRok

Maybe a Strategy RPG, like Tactics, but I don't see how you could make a full on RTS, especially Nintendo.

zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By zonerover
    @Yit: I guess they could do a spin off series in which things behaved differently to the main one, but I don't see any reason why fans or Nintendo would want to do that. Here's an edited summation of something I said on another thread about a potential change to the Pokemon formula:

@zonerover:

Pokemon's system is iconic not only because of its simpliciity to get into, but also because of its hidden onion-like layers of depth. Trying to radically change this would not only alienate the Pokemon fan base (and let's be honest, there's a lot of kids amongst that crowd) but it would also throw out all of the subtle complexity which makes the series what it is today. 

Subtle innovation is a good thing that keeps the system fresh and provides incentive to play the new game rather than keep the old ones. I don't even really play Pokemon, but I would have to say that its battle system is one of the best in the RPG world due to the fact that the core of it has remained unchanged for all these years, and the reason its remained like that is because people like it. I don't think a radical revolutionary revamp of the core gameplay is what either Nintendo or fans want or expect out of a new Pokemon game.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @FinalDasa: Yeah, they'd probably figure something out if they actually wanted to make an RTS.  But I really don't think that it would please both adults who grew up with the franchise and kids entering it.  Pokémon games have a slow start and are quite simple to comprehend, which is appealing to kids.  If they made an RTS that was too complex, kids could possibly get frustrated with it and if it was too simple, older people would have no fun playing it. "
    I agree. But I think they could balance the simplicity and childish nature of pokemon games to at least make them enjoyable and not embarrassing for adults. 
    They do it with Mario and other IPs but banish pokemon to games like Pokemon Ranch.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @FinalDasa: True, but the Mario games and their other IPs (that are not sport games) mostly exclusively have a single player component to them.  Because of that, it allows them to better configure what the player will experience with systems such as their new "auto play" feature that they have started to implement.  Presumably, an RTS would have a large focus on multiplayer and when another player is added into the mix, the formula tends to get quite complicated.   

But it's Nintendo, so they'd probably hit that balance anyways.  Unless, of course, they were only aiming for a specific audience and not universal appeal.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.