Meatball With Tomato Sauce.

So it's pasta day here so I thought I share with you my meatball and tomato sauce recipe. Pretty easy to make. Remember, the secret to good italian food is fresh ingredients. Avoid using dried spices whenever you can.

Meatballs with Tomato Sauce

Ingredients

MEATBALLS

  • 1/2 pound lean ground beef
  • 1/4 pound ground pork
  • 1/4 pound ground veal
  • 1 cup pre-seasons bread crumbs
  • 1 cup grated Romano cheese
  • 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon fresh garlic
  • 1 egg, beaten

SAUCE

  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 3 1/2 pounds of fresh peeled tomatoes
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon white sugar
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
  • 3/4 teaspoon fresh basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions

  • In a large bowl, combine ground beef, bread crumbs, parsley, Parmesan, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, garlic powder and beaten egg. Mix well and form into 12 balls. Store, covered, in refrigerator until needed.
  • Puree half of the tomatoes by using a blander or food processor and cube the rest. In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute onion and garlic in olive oil until onion is translucent.
  • Stir in tomatoes, salt, sugar and bay leaf. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 90 minutes while stirring occasionally.
  • Stir in tomato paste, basil, black pepper add meatballs and simmer 30 minutes more. Serve.

How to Peel Tomatoes

To peel a tomato, first use your paring knife to cut out the stem. Then slice a shallow X in the bottom (blossom) end. Using a slotted spoon, plunge the tomato into boiling water for a few seconds, then plunge it into a bowl of iced water. This will stop the tomato from cooking and further loosen the skin.

*Veal is pretty darn expensive so if you want to sub it with 1/4 pound ground Turkey or just want to go with 1/2 of ground pork then that's fine. Goin full on beef meat is also good.

Bruschetta

3 firm Roma tomatoes, finely diced (about 1 ½ cups)

¼ teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon minced fresh basil

2 teaspoons minced garlic

1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese

2 teaspoons diced marinated sun-dried tomatoes

Pinch of dried parsley flakes

2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil

1 teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar or Red Wine Viniger

9-10 slices ciabatta bread (or Italian bread)

Directions:

  • Toss diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, olive oil, vinegar and salt in a medium bowl. Cover and chill 1 hour.
  • When you are ready to serve the dish, preheat oven to 450 degrees.
  • Combine Parmesan cheese with dried parsley in a small bowl. Arrange the bread slices on a baking sheet.
  • Sprinkle a couple of pinches
22 Comments
22 Comments
Edited by mordukai

So it's pasta day here so I thought I share with you my meatball and tomato sauce recipe. Pretty easy to make. Remember, the secret to good italian food is fresh ingredients. Avoid using dried spices whenever you can.

Meatballs with Tomato Sauce

Ingredients

MEATBALLS

  • 1/2 pound lean ground beef
  • 1/4 pound ground pork
  • 1/4 pound ground veal
  • 1 cup pre-seasons bread crumbs
  • 1 cup grated Romano cheese
  • 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon fresh garlic
  • 1 egg, beaten

SAUCE

  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 3 1/2 pounds of fresh peeled tomatoes
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon white sugar
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
  • 3/4 teaspoon fresh basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions

  • In a large bowl, combine ground beef, bread crumbs, parsley, Parmesan, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, garlic powder and beaten egg. Mix well and form into 12 balls. Store, covered, in refrigerator until needed.
  • Puree half of the tomatoes by using a blander or food processor and cube the rest. In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute onion and garlic in olive oil until onion is translucent.
  • Stir in tomatoes, salt, sugar and bay leaf. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 90 minutes while stirring occasionally.
  • Stir in tomato paste, basil, black pepper add meatballs and simmer 30 minutes more. Serve.

How to Peel Tomatoes

To peel a tomato, first use your paring knife to cut out the stem. Then slice a shallow X in the bottom (blossom) end. Using a slotted spoon, plunge the tomato into boiling water for a few seconds, then plunge it into a bowl of iced water. This will stop the tomato from cooking and further loosen the skin.

*Veal is pretty darn expensive so if you want to sub it with 1/4 pound ground Turkey or just want to go with 1/2 of ground pork then that's fine. Goin full on beef meat is also good.

Bruschetta

3 firm Roma tomatoes, finely diced (about 1 ½ cups)

¼ teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon minced fresh basil

2 teaspoons minced garlic

1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese

2 teaspoons diced marinated sun-dried tomatoes

Pinch of dried parsley flakes

2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil

1 teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar or Red Wine Viniger

9-10 slices ciabatta bread (or Italian bread)

Directions:

  • Toss diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, olive oil, vinegar and salt in a medium bowl. Cover and chill 1 hour.
  • When you are ready to serve the dish, preheat oven to 450 degrees.
  • Combine Parmesan cheese with dried parsley in a small bowl. Arrange the bread slices on a baking sheet.
  • Sprinkle a couple of pinches
Edited by Ravenlight

Baller recipe, duder. I like this trend of cooking-related posts in the forums lately.

I made some meaty sauce last night. No meatballs, just tossed the ground beef right into the sauce. So good.

Replace the white sugar with a tablespoon of brown sugar and throw a generous dash of Worcestershire sauce into the pot for a slightly different flavor :)

Posted by mordukai

@Ravenlight said:

Baller recipe, duder. I like this trend of cooking-related posts in the forums lately.

I made some meaty sauce last night. No meatballs, just tossed the ground beef right into the sauce. So good.

Replace the white sugar with a tablespoon of brown sugar and throw a generous dash of Worcestershire sauce into the pot for a slightly different flavor :)

Thanks. The brown sugar does sound interesting. Might try that today. I used to add some red wine into the sauce, tasted awesome but for some reason it makes my wife sick so I took it out. As as the Worcestershire sauce then it's a big NO NO. That shit has anchovies in it.

Posted by Ravenlight

@mordukai:

Red wine seems like a good thing to put in there. Any particular kind of red you'd suggest?

Tomorrow is grocery day and red wine will be added to the list ;)

Posted by Enigma777

That sounds pretty tasty (except for the onion) but I'm far to lazy to give it a shot.

Posted by mordukai

@Ravenlight: Hmm...Really up to what you like in wines. I usually use Cabernet Sauvignon but what ever taste you like. Don't put too much though. start with a teaspoon and go from there.

@Enigma777: The onions get cooked with so many other indigents that you don't feel it. This is coming from someone who also doesn't care for onions. I like green ones though.

Edited by whyareyoucrouchingspock

Buy a tin from Asda shove a plate in the microwave for 2 minutes. Easy peasy. 40p well spent.

Posted by mordukai

@whyareyoucrouchingspock said:

Buy a tin from Asda shove a plate in the microwave for 2 minutes. Easy peasy. 40p well spent.

Posted by MEATBALL

Keep this sick fuck away from me.

Posted by Jams

HEY! I'm planning on making spaghetti and meatballs tonight. Unfortunately I don't have any ingredients to make the gravy (I've made it before with polenta that turned out really good). I'm just going to use a can of classico (I think that's the brand). I was just planning on using garlic and breadcrumbs in the meatballs because I don't have any eggs or onions. I'm going to write that recipe down for next time though because I've been looking for a good spaghetti gravy to make. I'm gonna have to get a blender or food processor though.

Edited by crusader8463

I never got the appeal of meat balls. Why limit your meal to only a few big balls of meat when you can break it up into fine bits and have loads of meat in your mouth in every bite? Just always seemed off to me. I also like frying up some sausage, pepperoni, and salami then cutting it up to put into the sauce. Best to let all the meats simmer in a frying pan for awhile before adding them to the sauce as well so that the flavour of each one gets mixed into one another. Works great as Pizza toppings too.

Also, seeing this thread makes me sad to realize that we are now never going to get our cooking site.

Posted by mordukai

@Jams: I have a pretty mean Brochette recipe if you want to add to that.

Posted by Jams

@mordukai said:

@Jams: I have a pretty mean Brochette recipe if you want to add to that.

I'd like that. Never cooked one myself before.

Posted by MarkWahlberg

I usually just cut up some italian sausage for meatballs. Less hassle/prep time, and they taste fucking amazing.

Posted by EuanDewar

@crusader8463 said:

have loads of meat in your mouth

Posted by crusader8463

@EuanDewar said:

@crusader8463 said:

have loads of meat in your mouth

Sexy I know.

Posted by Hot_Karl

@crusader8463: Because you're not really getting "loads of meat in your mouth", more just "a taste of meat every so often, then a pile of oily beef is left on the plate that I kinda don't want to touch but I guess I should eat anyway". Meatballs serve their purpose just fine; tasty on their own, in a sandwich, on the side of other items, etc.

Then again, this is coming from a guy who adores meatloaf & more or less detests sloppy joes for their consistency.

@mordukai: Sweet recipe, all pretty easy to make (I've done a variation on all these items before). I remember Ryan saying that 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of crushed peanuts actually helps with meatloaf/meatballs.

Posted by crusader8463

@VinceNotVance said:

@crusader8463: Because you're not really getting "loads of meat in your mouth", more just "a taste of meat every so often, then a pile of oily beef is left on the plate that I kinda don't want to touch but I guess I should eat anyway". Meatballs serve their purpose just fine; tasty on their own, in a sandwich, on the side of other items, etc.

Then again, this is coming from a guy who adores meatloaf & more or less detests sloppy joes for their consistency.

@mordukai: Sweet recipe, all pretty easy to make (I've done a variation on all these items before). I remember Ryan saying that 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of crushed peanuts actually helps with meatloaf/meatballs.

I have never had oily meat left over on the plate. You drain the hamburger of the grease after you cook it right? When I cook it they are nice big chunks about the size of a gum ball, just not huge golf ball size wads of meat. I usually get two to three of them on each fork load. Everyone has their way I guess.

Posted by MikkaQ

@Ravenlight said:

Baller recipe, duder. I like this trend of cooking-related posts in the forums lately.

I made some meaty sauce last night. No meatballs, just tossed the ground beef right into the sauce. So good.

Replace the white sugar with a tablespoon of brown sugar and throw a generous dash of Worcestershire sauce into the pot for a slightly different flavor :)

Cool, I'm gonna try putting some Worcestershire sauce in my bolognese tonight.

@crusader8463 said:

I never got the appeal of meat balls. Why limit your meal to only a few big balls of meat when you can break it up into fine bits and have loads of meat in your mouth in every bite? Just always seemed off to me. I also like frying up some sausage, pepperoni, and salami then cutting it up to put into the sauce. Best to let all the meats simmer in a frying pan for awhile before adding them to the sauce as well so that the flavour of each one gets mixed into one another. Works great as Pizza toppings too.

Also, seeing this thread makes me sad to realize that we are now never going to get our cooking site.

Yeah this is my philosophy, putting meatballs in sauce isn't going to do a whole lot. When you break up and fry some ground beef, then pour your sauce-base over that, the meat adds so much extra flavor to the sauce that you just don't get with meatballs.

Posted by Hot_Karl

@crusader8463: I think it's impossible to have ground beef that isn't oily in some way. I drain the meat after, absolutely, but you'll always get a little bit in there regardless. For the record though, I totally prefer making meat sauce for taste purposes (sauce has a preferable taste w/ the flavor coming from the meat).

Posted by crusader8463

@VinceNotVance: I don't know. I have never had this problem. That's why it seemed so odd to me that you mention it. Maybe you are buying hamburger that has more fat in it then I do or something? Weird.

Edited by mordukai

@VinceNotVance said:

@crusader8463: I think it's impossible to have ground beef that isn't oily in some way. I drain the meat after, absolutely, but you'll always get a little bit in there regardless. For the record though, I totally prefer making meat sauce for taste purposes (sauce has a preferable taste w/ the flavor coming from the meat).

It really depends wich meat you are using and if you're willing to fork over the money for the goog kind. But as said that there's no way to have ground beef and that's not oily in some way.

The reason I am doing the meat into a ball form with this particular recipe is because the meat itself is spiced and flavored and so is the sauce and I found out that when you have it all over it's then becomes just too much flavor. The meatball makes sure you get both of both worlds and still not have an attack of flavors. However, I do from time to time make straight out meat sauce. Usually when I made pasta. When I make spaghetti I like it better with meatballs.

PS: I will post pictures when it's done in about 2 hours.