Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Punch-Out!!

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released May 18, 2009

Nintendo brings back Little Mac and a slew of memorable opponents in this Wii remake of the cartoon-boxing classic.

It's official: This game wins (new trailer)

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By BoG

It has the bike scene. THE BIKE SCENE.
    albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By albedos_shadow

I think I just had a nostalgia-gasm.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Diamond

A little too heavy on nostalgia to me, but that Disco kid really looks like a tight fit for the game.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Dalai

Digging the pink sweatsuit.

Lifestrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Lifestrike

I like it when people make sequels that change almost nothing.

Too many games think it's their obligation to cram games with "new content", but the truth is, some game concepts come finished.

Like Punchout.

But mainly Total Annihilation.

PS. This trailer tells you how to defeat King Hippo. It took me an hour+ to find that out....

Kratos81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Kratos81

Nintendo is so unoriginal these days it makes me sick. If it dosent use the motion plus, it will be just another waggle game like wii boxing. NIntendo sucks ass.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Coltonio7

*yawn*

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By BoG
    Kratos81 said:
    "Nintendo is so unoriginal these days it makes me sick. If it dosent use the motion plus, it will be just another waggle game like wii boxing. NIntendo sucks ass."
    I've been under the impression it will use the wiimote sideways, like a NES controller. Nothing special, just a glorified remake here.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Diamond
    BoG said:
    "Kratos81 said:
    "Nintendo is so unoriginal these days it makes me sick. If it dosent use the motion plus, it will be just another waggle game like wii boxing. NIntendo sucks ass."
    I've been under the impression it will use the wiimote sideways, like a NES controller. Nothing special, just a glorified remake here.
    "
    It has a classic control mode and motion control.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By jakob187

No Mike Tyson, right?

Then it's no good, son.
    ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By ArcBorealis
    Kratos81 said:
    If it dosent use the motion plus, it will be just another waggle game like wii boxing."

Just what benefit would motionplus give to a game like Punch-Out, anyway?
    zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By zitosilva

Plus you can knock croissants out of people. If that's not the definition of awesome, than I don't know what is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Hahaha agreed, the bike scene is great, this reminds me of ytmnd.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Al3xand3r
    Alaska_Gamer said:
    "Kratos81 said:
    If it dosent use the motion plus, it will be just another waggle game like wii boxing."
    Just what benefit would motionplus give to a game like Punch-Out, anyway?"
    Why, the benefit of whining for having to have a second remote and having to buy two add-ons to play it, duh. Also for having to wait a couple months after its release to actually play it like that, since motion plus won't be out by then.
    ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By ltcoljaxson

Wow I was just playing that game (mobile version) on my cell this morning...

Really clean style this game trailer shows, I like it but it may be too simple of a game nowadays. We'll see I guess.

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PercyChuggs

Typical gamer logic. Rip EA for releasing the "same" Madden game every year, or Activision for the yearly COD's (which are wholesale different games), and then praise Nintendo for what is basically a remake. But hey, they only had 20 years to add some new stuff...

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Al3xand3r

Typical gamer logic, those EA rehash games sell millions every year but when Nintendo does it to revive a 20 year dead franchise, it's a bad thing >_>

Also, SFIV (random example, not same type of game, much like those sports games)? Yeah, that's awesome and hardcore, so many new characters and content and stuff dude. Except it's a step back from SFIII, cos, ya know, they have to have grounds for SFV.

We know nothing about the extras in this game either, it's not exactly out and all we've seen is four opponents. Let the judging commence, especially from people who don't even have a Wii, or intend to purchase games for it...

They use the old characters because they want them, not because it's a lazy half assed job or something. Making a visually impressive and expertly animated character as seen here, by referencing a friggin NES sprite, is just as hard as making a brand-new one. What's the difference anyway? New graphics, new patterns, old names. Would it really make people think it's not a remake if they had new names for the characters, and mixed up stereotypes? It wouldn't.

Any fan is just going to be happy to have new patterns to defeat and then time trial, that's the whole point of Punch-Out!!, and to hear they have a head to head mode and a DVD packed to the brim with extras and unlockables is just a bonus. And if one isn't a fan, or wanted the gameplay changed so much it's not even Punch-Out!! anymore (free roaming in the arena, more realistic boxing, or whatever crap people want these days), meh @ your game tastes.

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PercyChuggs
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Typical gamer logic, those EA rehash games sell millions every year but when Nintendo does it to revive a 20 year dead franchise, it's a bad thing >_>Also, SFIV? Yeah, that's awesome and hardcore, so many new characters and content and stuff dude.We know nothing about the extras in this game, either, it's not exactly out and all we've seen is four fighters. Let the judging commence, especially from people who don't even have a Wii, or intend to purchase games for it..."
    Nintendo is releasing straight up GameCube games with Wii controls crammed in. If any other publish did that, the complaining would go on for days.

And if you think Street Fighter IV isn't vastly improved and refined over the previous games, then you haven't played it. From hearing what people have said about Punch Out for Wii, unless Nintendo isn't showing most of the game, it's the same damn thing as the original NES version. You punch left, right, and uppercut. That's the game.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Al3xand3r

No, the game is punch gut left, right, punch face left, right, dodge left, right, block low, high, duck, a few star punch types, etc. Simple & sweet.

And what do you call PS1 PSN games (obviously no PS2 yet because they still wanna sell that platform) and Xbox Originals then? The distribution method being digital instead of disc based makes it so different? At least Nintendo gives you 100% backward compatibility if you have those GC games already, while people who enjoy Wii controls can have that, and since the GC was a distant third place last gen, most people didn't get to play them anyway. Of course, I don't see what that has to do with Punch-Out!! anyway. Make a new Nintendo whine thread?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.