Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Puzzle Quest: Galactrix

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 24, 2009

Take to the depths of space in this Sci-Fi-themed superior sequel to Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords.

Puzzle Quest: Galactrix Demo Released in Flash Form

Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By Ryan  Staff
    Puzzle Quest was awesome, and logic should seem to dictate that it would be even more awesome-er in space. Or, at least that's the hope with Infinite Interactive's spiritual sequel, Puzzle Quest: Galactrix. I played the game ever-so-briefly at E3 2008, and it didn't really click with me at the time. Today D3 has released a Flash-based demo for Galactrix, which you can find here. I loved me some Puzzle Quest, but I gotta say, after playing the Galactrix demo a couple times, I'm starting to suspect that I might just be worn out on the whole puzzle-plus-RPG thing. At first I thought maybe it's just that the interface and the style of puzzle action presented in Galactrix aren't as intuitive as the original Puzzle Quest, but I played a little Neopets Puzzle Adventure, also developed by Infinite Interactive, over the holiday break, and that did nothing for me either.

Kind of a bummer, but then again, I guess that's what demos are for, right?
    Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Ryan  Staff
    Puzzle Quest was awesome, and logic should seem to dictate that it would be even more awesome-er in space. Or, at least that's the hope with Infinite Interactive's spiritual sequel, Puzzle Quest: Galactrix. I played the game ever-so-briefly at E3 2008, and it didn't really click with me at the time. Today D3 has released a Flash-based demo for Galactrix, which you can find here. I loved me some Puzzle Quest, but I gotta say, after playing the Galactrix demo a couple times, I'm starting to suspect that I might just be worn out on the whole puzzle-plus-RPG thing. At first I thought maybe it's just that the interface and the style of puzzle action presented in Galactrix aren't as intuitive as the original Puzzle Quest, but I played a little Neopets Puzzle Adventure, also developed by Infinite Interactive, over the holiday break, and that did nothing for me either.

Kind of a bummer, but then again, I guess that's what demos are for, right?
    SkipT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SkipT

The neopets puzzle adventure game was pretty uninspired. I hope that Galactrix clicks better with me.

DBZ_Fanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By DBZ_Fanatic

cool

KingOfIceland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By KingOfIceland

Dude, that demo had me all kinds of stoked. I'll definitely get this day 1

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By jakob187

I'm lovin' it!!!  Hope they are putting it out on Wii sometime soon.  There was actually a bit more involved with this than there was with the original Puzzle Quest.  Definitely excited about it.

erinfizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By erinfizz

Meh. Not digging it. But I have been liking Neopets.

Fracture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Fracture

Might need to see this demoed on live first. I think a bit of this has to do with the clunky flash interface and it being crammed down into a lower resolution but it might be ok. Also might just be more to it than the demo lets on.

Sarkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sarkhan

I loved it! But.... it's not comming to the psp? :S

Man, i'v had soo many hours with PQ on the psp. Nice platform for this kinda game. Oh well. I'll get it for my ps3 :)

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#9  Edited By Brackynews

Most enjoyable.  Kicks Hexic's little preloaded bitch ass.   *ahem*

Protip: 
    The direction that you swap the pieces determines the direction the remaining pieces will shift into place for the turn.  Once that lightbulb goes on it's a whole new level of strategy.

I like the shield pieces.  Not being able to replenish health was a drag in PQ.  Also the amazing cascading combos are back, but now it's 5 in a row that get you the free turn.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kush

I tried this Flash demo earlier and I didn't really enjoy the game...though I wasn't exactly sure what I was doing either.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By zityz

I actually liked it, curse you PQ! I kicked the habit once now your trying to pull me back in... and I think it worked.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrKlorox

Galactrix is uninteresting to you because you burned yourself out on Puzzle Quest. The same reason why GTA4 isn't what hardcore players of San Andreas expected/wanted.

DXSSI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DXSSI

I'm still enjoying it but having difficulty adjusting to some of the new mechanics.  I don't understand why 5 pieces matched in a row is 5-of-a-kind, but 5 pieces matched in a criss-cross or angle bracket shape is only considered 4-of-a-kind.  Glitch, maybe?  FWIW there is a glitch—it says using the Trident Laser doesn't end your turn, but it does.

Guess I'll wait to see the XBLA demo before making a final decision.  I definitely need to see these issues addressed before I put down the money for the game; hopefully these things become known to Infinite Interactive and they explain the logic behind them, that is, if we're not simply discussing easily-overlooked glitches.

Fade2Gray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Fade2Gray

I liked it. I think the subtle changes they made over PQ (like requiring a 5 piece combo rather than a 4 for extra turns) made a big improvement. I may just give this one a shot.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I'm not liking that demo.  I'll just go back to plain old Puzzle Quest.  That game is still addictive to me.

fluxbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By fluxbit

Wait... how is this game not ready, yet?  I played it at PAX 2008 and it seemed A-OK.  Bring it on.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By Snail

YaY.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#18  Edited By ahoodedfigure

I like that you can control the flow of pieces, but there seem to be a few tweaks still necessary, just in this limited version, as far as I can tell.

How'd you find out about the demo, Ryan?  Did they issue a press release?

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#19  Edited By Jedted

I never got into the original Puzzle Quest but since this involves space i'm a little more intrigued.  I'm geussin it'll be more fun when you know all the rules and know what the bonuses do.

Anyone manage to beat the demo?  I can hold out for a while but i always get wiped.

Harknett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Harknett

This game is going to destroy my life. I've easily put over a hundred hours into PuzzleQuest.

klinkcow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By klinkcow

I loved Puzzle Quest....I am very excited. i really enjoyed this little flash teaser!

DXSSI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DXSSI

I've beaten it, but I have about a 50-50 win/loss ratio.  The latest criticism I have of it is that due to the fact that pieces can come in from any side, it is nigh impossible to prevent or guard against random mine matches from occurring when new pieces populate the playfield.  In PQ, you could at least recognize the threat of skulls near the top of the screen, and work to either match them yourself or scatter them.  Now, mines on the playfield are sitting there waiting to be activated by whoever is luckiest, since there is no way to move them into a safe area.

Stanford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Stanford

Is this going to be on PSN

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#24  Edited By citizenkane

I loved Puzzle Question.  I'm trying the demo right now.

Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25  Edited By Yit

Eh. It's a game.

Fade2Gray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Fade2Gray

After playing it some more I've found that the game still has the same key flaw as PQ, over-reliance on random chance. The odds of winning at this game are tied so closely to the random chance of the tiles that strategy almost feels cursory, perhaps even more so this time around. Not my idea of a good time...

jsd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jsd

the flash demo has me completely jonesing for the real game now.  bring it on!!

DXSSI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DXSSI
    Fade2Gray said:
    "After playing it some more I've found that the game still has the same key flaw as PQ, over-reliance on random chance. The odds of winning at this game are tied so closely to the random chance of the tiles that strategy almost feels cursory, perhaps even more so this time around. Not my idea of a good time..."
    Don't be so quick to dismiss it—or PQ for that matter.  It feels random the first few times you get out there because you haven't learned to work with the pieces.  I lost the first two games I played of Galactrix, a stunning win/loss ratio of 0:1.  Shortly thereafter my w/l ratio climbed to 1:1 as I was winning about half my games.  Now my ratio is about 4:1; I win most of the time.

Don't get me wrong—luck elements do exist, but a skilled player recognizes this, knows how to work with the pieces, plans a few moves ahead, and above all else, strategizes, allowing the player to make the best possible move at all times, taking the current playfield into account.  The losses I currently experience, in many cases come as a direct result of some boneheaded move I made earlier on in the match—only now, I'm skilled enough to recognize when I've committed a game-losing error.
    ShiroMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ShiroMe
    DXSSI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DXSSI
    ShiroMe said:
    "Just put a little icon on the side of the screen that the blocks will fall from. I just need some indication of what I am doing."
    The blocks will come in from the direction that you moved the pieces.  For example, if you move your selected piece up, the remaining blocks will move up to fill the gap, and new blocks will come in from the bottom of the screen, moving upwards as well.

If you move your selected piece down, the remaining blocks will move down to fill the gap, and new blocks will come in from the top of the screen, moving downwards as well.

If you move your selected piece up-left, the remaining blocks will move up-left to fill the gap, and new blocks will come in from the from the bottom-right section of the remaining space, moving up-left as well.
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Media_Master

not interested

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.