Brad Pitt Pegged for Red Dead Redemption Movie

• 75 results
#1 Edited by outlawtotheend (103 posts) -

Report here:   http://ie.xbox360.ign.com/articles/111/1116183p1.html

What do you guys think?  

Personally, I don't know about it. A bad Red Dead movie would stain the name of this great franchise but I would love to see a good movie based on Red Dead. 

Brad Pitt though? Meh I dunno... 

#2 Posted by spankingaddict (2738 posts) -

It could be a good fit. Heck if i know...

#3 Posted by Hamst3r (4563 posts) -

Tyler Durden.

#4 Edited by outlawtotheend (103 posts) -

@Hamst3r: Who? 

Edit: Just googled him. Had no idea he was a character in Fight Club haha

#5 Edited by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -
#6 Posted by SpiralStairs (1007 posts) -

A Red Dead movie sounds like a terrible idea.

#7 Posted by Maxszy (2067 posts) -

Whatever people say, Pitt is a good actor. And he's got the face to play John. I like this. I think if a movie based off of a game is actually ever going to be really good, it needs someone like Pitt in it. At least to start off.

#8 Posted by Hamst3r (4563 posts) -
@outlawtotheend said:
" @Hamst3r: Who? "

The best role Brad Pitt has ever had.
#9 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

Could work I guess. More weirded out by the idea of an RDR movie more than anything.

#10 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Whats wrong with Brad Pitt? He was in a western movie before, and I think he did a good job in that.

#11 Edited by outlawtotheend (103 posts) -

So, how many of you guys actually think this come out?

#12 Posted by outlawtotheend (103 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" Whats wrong with Brad Pitt? He was in a western movie before, and I think he did a good job in that. "
 The Assassination of Jesse James? I've never seen it but having heard good things of his performance in it gives me hope that this will be a good casting decision.
#13 Posted by dankempster (2254 posts) -

Anybody here ever seen The Assassination of Jesse James?  

If Pitt doesn't remind you of Marston here, I suggest you book an appointment with your nearest optician 
That being said, I don't know why I'm defending the casting choice. I'd really rather not see a Red Dead movie. The game is pretty damn cinematic as it is.
#14 Posted by outlawtotheend (103 posts) -
@CL60 said:

" Whats wrong with Brad Pitt? He was in a western movie before, and I think he did a good job in that. "

The Assassination of Jesse James? I've never seen it but having heard good things of his performance in it gives me hope that this will be a good casting decision.
#15 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@outlawtotheend said:
" @CL60 said:

The Assassination of Jesse James? I've never seen it but having heard good things of his performance in it gives me hope that this will be a good casting decision. "
Yes. He did a great job in that movie.
#16 Posted by Dirty_Harry (717 posts) -
@outlawtotheend said:
" @Hamst3r: Who?  Edit: Just googled him. Had no idea he was a character in Fight Club haha "
He never was in Fight Club..

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
#17 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

Pitt could be a good fit for the role.

#18 Posted by Maxszy (2067 posts) -
@dankempster said:
" I'd really rather not see a Red Dead movie. The game is pretty damn cinematic as it is. "
Maybe that's why they are considering a Red Dead movie though; because it is so cinematic. That it could potentially translate into something really good, unlike a lot of other ones out there. :-P (Street Fighter: Chun Li anyway?)
#19 Posted by Vonocourt (2164 posts) -

Wasn't he supposed to work on a Darksiders film?

Eh, while he was great as Jesse James, I don't know, I always think of Josh Brolin when I see John Marston. Though I have trouble believing that the reason why I loved the story so much in the game would translate well to the screen, since it actually used the interactivity of the medium to convey the story rather than just ape cinema in it's cutscenes.

#20 Posted by outlawtotheend (103 posts) -
#21 Posted by RTSlord (1201 posts) -

hmmm, idk. i think viggo mortensen would be better

#22 Edited by CitizenKane (10508 posts) -

I like Brad Pitt as an actor and getting a big star like Pitt to star in a video-game-to-movie adaptation in one of the big steps forward for the genre.  John Marston is a very hard character to cast, but Pitt is probably the closet to him of any actor around the right age that I can think of right now, except maybe Viggo Mortensen.  James Brolin doesn't have the right physical features to best match Marston.

#23 Posted by HistoryInRust (6402 posts) -

No, goddamnit. There doesn't need to be a Red Dead film.  

Gah. That's sort of disappointing. 

#24 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -
#25 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@outlawtotheend said:
"What do you guys think? "
ive started liking Brad Pitt in the last few years, but i dont think he's a good pick for RDR.. at all. 

@outlawtotheend said:
" Personally, I don't know about it. A bad Red Dead movie would stain the name of this great franchise but I would love to see a good movie based on Red Dead. "
what great franchise? the franchise has only 2 installments and only the latest one is the masterpiece.. lol :P
#26 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

It's never going to happen. 

#27 Posted by outlawtotheend (103 posts) -
@dankempster: Yeah, all he needs are the scars on his cheeks =]
#28 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -
@Hamst3r said:
" Tyler Durden. "
Yes.
#29 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

I wouldn't mind that. 

#30 Posted by Ravenousrattler (1417 posts) -

I don't think he quite fits, but i guess it could be worse, Jamie Foxx could be john marston.

#31 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

Do ya like dags?

#32 Edited by outlawtotheend (103 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic: Ok, A bad Red Dead Redemption movie would stain the name of this great game. Better?
#33 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@outlawtotheend said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic: Ok, A bad Red Dead Redemption movie would stain the name of this great game. Better? "
i like you now.
#34 Posted by mazik765 (2316 posts) -

Brad Pitt can do a great outlaw, so I think this is a great choice.

#35 Posted by JJWeatherman (14569 posts) -

I dunno, I think it could work. He's can have a pretty good cowboy look when he needs to.

#36 Posted by Goldanas (550 posts) -
@CitizenKane said:
" Viggo Mortensen."
I'd have been okay with this. I'm kind of tired of seeing Pitt and Clooney in everything.
#37 Posted by Jimbo (9988 posts) -
@RTSlord said:
" hmmm, idk. i think viggo mortensen would be better "
Was thinking the same thing.
#38 Posted by outlawtotheend (103 posts) -
@CitizenKane said:
" I like Brad Pitt as an actor and getting a big star like Pitt to star in a video-game-to-movie adaptation in one of the big steps forward for the genre.  John Marston is a very hard character to cast, but Pitt is probably the closet to him of any actor around the right age that I can think of right now, except maybe Viggo Mortensen.  James Brolin doesn't have the right physical features to best match Marston. "
       Yeah, I'd pretty much agree with this.
#39 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Daniel Day Lewis!!!

#40 Posted by Lukeweizer (2765 posts) -

He's not as young as he used to be. And he was great in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

#41 Posted by Dirty_Harry (717 posts) -
@Dany said:
" Daniel Day Lewis!!!

"
Too old, but would make a good villain.
#42 Edited by ProfessorEss (7518 posts) -

If Brad Pitt as Marston ends up being the worst thing that happens to this movie I'd say we're doing fine.

Frankly, I have a funny feeling that we won't be seeing Pitt, Mortensen, DD Lewis or anyone else of that talent level jumping aboard this inevitable trainwreck.

...but hey, I 'm always up for being proven wrong.

#43 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -
@dankempster said:
" Anybody here ever seen The Assassination of Jesse James?  

If Pitt doesn't remind you of Marston here, I suggest you book an appointment with your nearest optician 
That being said, I don't know why I'm defending the casting choice. I'd really rather not see a Red Dead movie. The game is pretty damn cinematic as it is. "
I see the resemblance
#44 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -
@Axxol said:
" I don't think Brad Pitt is right for this, but I can't think of anyone. 

"
NO NO NO NO NO NO!!! i dont want night staining brad pitts beautiful and amazing name! not ok... 

@dankempster:  i loved brad pitt as jesse james that was a great movie. 
#45 Posted by august (3866 posts) -

Half the movie should consist of flower picking.

#46 Posted by GlenTennis (3145 posts) -
@Vonocourt said:
"I always think of Josh Brolin when I see John Marston."
Wow, good call. Also Pitt has first refusal, so he might not even be in it. We won't know really how good/bad this will be until we see who's attached to write/direct. Personally even though he's retired from acting, I would love to see Clint Eastwood cameo as that old American guy you do missions for in Mexico.
#47 Edited by ProfessorEss (7518 posts) -
@GlenTennis said:

Personally even though he's retired from acting, I would love to see Clint Eastwood cameo as that old American guy you do missions for in Mexico. "

Are you kidding me? That's Sam Elliott, no question.

I mean, I get that people like Clint, but look at the dude yer casting here:

#48 Posted by GlenTennis (3145 posts) -
@ProfessorEss said:
"  If Brad Pitt as Marston ends up being the worst thing that happens to this movie I'd say we're doing fine.  Frankly, I have a funny feeling that we won't be seeing Pitt, Mortensen, DD Lewis or anyone else of that talent level jumping aboard this inevitable trainwreck.  ...but hey, I 'm always up for being proven wrong. "
I doubt this movie will be a trainwreck. I mean, RDR has the plot of a good Western movie, so it figures that it could be translated into a good movie. Most really shitty video game movies take plots from video games that have shitty plots in the first place.
#49 Posted by outlawtotheend (103 posts) -
@Dany said:
" Daniel Day Lewis!!!

"
               He looks like a great Dutch!
#50 Posted by ProfessorEss (7518 posts) -
@outlawtotheend said:
" @Dany said:
" Daniel Day Lewis!!!

"
               He looks like a great Dutch! "
good call.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.