Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Faction: Guerrilla

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Jun 02, 2009

After the death of his brother at the hands of a corrupt Earth government, Alec Mason has no choice but to join the Red Faction terrorist cell and fight to free Mars from Earth oppression.

Red Faction shouldn't have gone TPS

DaveF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By DaveF

Red Faction 1 and 2 were both really good IMO. They were very good FPS'. I was disappointed when I found out they were making Guerilla a TPS and having watched a gameplay video or two, I think they made a mistake. The graphics look good, but the shooting mechanics don't look that good IMO.
    I think they would have been better off sticking with what they're good at.
    Thoughts? Any other RF fans out there who wish Guerilla was a FPS?

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By pause422

I of course have a big nostalgia for that,and really deep down kinda wish it just stayed first person,but according to the designers they started it in first person,and the way they had the destruction,more times than not it would fall and kill you and you wouldn't see it coming ,and die plenty of deaths where you had no idea what the hell happened. Thats their basis for changing it to third person,I completely understand it, but I'll definitely wish it stayed first person.

felixlighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By felixlighter

Red Faction will always hold a special place in my heart.  Red Faction and Unreal Tournament on the PS2 introduced me to the dual stick FPS control scheme for consoles.

DaveF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DaveF

Ah OK. I'd always wondered what prompted them to make it TP, especially since the first two were pretty good and pretty successful. I guess that makes sense. But I still think it would have been better as an FPS - plenty of FPS' have destruction and get away with it. Does Guerilla just take the destruction and ramp it up a little bit more then or something?

DaveF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DaveF
    FelixLighter said:
    "Red Faction will always hold a special place in my heart.  Red Faction and Unreal Tournament on the PS2 introduced me to the dual stick FPS control scheme for consoles.
    "
    Same here. Well, the RF part anyway.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By pause422

Yeah,higher than anyone has gone with it yet,I mean they basically invented it with RF to begin with,and the destruction in that game is still stronger than any modern game that claims to have some in it.

Basically every game that has "destructible environments" doesn't. The way it works is,it simply replaces a normal model with a destroyed model,making it appear as if you've truely done something. What RF Guerilla is,is the first true destruction based game,their designers had to literally learn about building architecture because of the system they have,if it didn't build like a real world building,it would fall down in game. They build things from the ground up,with things that would hold together real world buildings and environments,and they'll fall apart different everytime,depending on how you decide to try to tear them down.

TheiMacMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheiMacMan
    DaveF said:
    "but the shooting mechanics don't look that good IMO."

How can you judge "shooting mechanics" from a video?  I suggest you try the game before you make a judgment like that.  It plays really well in third person, and the destruction is much better appreciated in third person than it was in first person.  (I work for Volition, so I've seen the game in 1st person...)
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hexpane

Red Faction 1 was really awesome, especially for a console shooter.   RF2 single player sucked ass, they ruined everything fun and balanced about RF1 but they made up for it w/ a nice Local Multiplayer component

I fear this new RF will control like Saints Row (decent controls for a single player open world game, but for a 3rdPS it might be too haphazard)

TheiMacMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheiMacMan
    Hexpane said:
    "I fear this new RF will control like Saints Row (decent controls for a single player open world game, but for a 3rdPS it might be too haphazard)"
    Nope, we have reworked the controls specifically for RFG.  It has a very different feel from Saints Row.  :)
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hexpane
    TheiMacMan said:
    "Hexpane said:
    "I fear this new RF will control like Saints Row (decent controls for a single player open world game, but for a 3rdPS it might be too haphazard)"
    Nope, we have reworked the controls specifically for RFG.  It has a very different feel from Saints Row.  :)"
    Good to know, you should probably get flagged by GB staff here w/ a red name since you work for a dev.   Certified employees of game companies usually get official status on boards so people don't think they are pulling the "I heard the next Zelda will have Mario in it.. my uncle works for nintendo told me"

Also I am a HUGE Volition fan.   Summoner 1 is one of my fav console RPGs of all time... when can we expect a PSN remake w/ online MP, updated graphics and new levels :D  Or howzabout a Summoner 3 that continues the stories of Flece, Joseph etc... w/ the Summoner 1 style 4 party + summon combat (was not a fan of the action moph mechanics of Summoner 2)

BTW I love the controls of Saints Row 2... just a bit too easy on medium
    TheiMacMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheiMacMan
    Hexpane said:
    Good to know, you should probably get flagged by GB staff here w/ a red name since you work for a dev.   Certified employees of game companies usually get official status on boards so people don't think they are pulling the "I heard the next Zelda will have Mario in it.. my uncle works for nintendo told me"

Hmm, I'll have to look into getting that done.  I have updated my game credits here, so it's pretty clear that I work for Volition.  You can also find me on our official RFG and SR forums, as V-TheiMacMan.

Glad to hear you are a fan of Volition!  : )
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Red Faction was my first dual analog FPS. Took me a while to get the hang of it, but in the end, I thought it was pretty freaking excellent. However, man, that game sure hasn't held up. I tried playing it again a year or two ago, and I can certainly see why the game has auto-aim. Regardless, it was great for its time. I never did like the sequel that much.

ahab88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By ahab88

The best part about it being 3rd person, is the ability to spin the camera around while escaping an EDF compound that you just loaded with remote charges and pressing detonate and watching the mayhem ensue.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By natetodamax

Causing all of that destruction in first person would make the game unplayable.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By get2sammyb

BUT LOOK AT THE WAY STUFF BLOWS UP!?!?

Seriously though, I think it's better because of the fact it's in third person. I honestly haven't played the originals so I can't compare - but it seems to me they made the decision based on the destruction mechanic being the hook. The destruction works fantastic in this game and being able to view that action in third-person works all the better. It must have took balls to make the shift but for me, I can't imagine the Guerrilla being as good as it is in first-person.

Raiden36O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Raiden36O

The game works great in third person. The shooting mechanics are smooth and the animation is great. The game is also a very solid shooter online, probably one of the best ive played. My only complaint is the matchmaking system. Their isn't a 'search for good connection' or 'search for this region' option online. And this is a problem because im in Australia and the majority of games me and my party of 4-5 other Australians will get matched into matches with Americans and suffer from lagg which makes for some pretty frustrating moments of host advantage.

Apart from that though, the single player and multiplayer both work well and in my opinion are better for being in third person than in first person.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By wrecks

Gameplay wouldn't work in 1st person.  Was all designed around a 3rd person perspective. And it works fantastic!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.