Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Faction: Guerrilla

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Jun 02, 2009

After the death of his brother at the hands of a corrupt Earth government, Alec Mason has no choice but to join the Red Faction terrorist cell and fight to free Mars from Earth oppression.

Should I buy this game on PC?

Avatar image for thecappuccinobandit
    TheCappuccinoBandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

This game is currently on sale on Steam and I was wondering how well it would work on my rig. Here's my specs  
    512mb 8800 nvidia Geforce 
    Quad-core CPU at 2.40GHz 
    3GB of RAM 

These sort of comply with the recommended specs but I'm not sure what the quality of the port is.  
    Would you recommend I get it on the PC?   

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Dalai

It's $10. I think the answer is simple.

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3  Edited By septim

The Q6600 and 8800gt were milestone parts that a lot of games are optimized for so playability should not be a problem. As for the game I heard the port is pretty good and the game has it's flaws but is still chaotic fun.

TheCappuccinoBandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome thanks for the help and Merry Christmas!

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I'm also thinking about buying the game, for $10 I have to be stupid not to buy it considering it's worth $40 on steam without a sale.  

I also will like other ppl's opinion on the actual game, if it's any good or not, if it's boring and is there any major flaws with the gameplay.

TheCappuccinoBandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought  the game and the steam install is broken, it can't update :(

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Binman88
    @Fudge_Wirlwind said:
    " I bought  the game and the steam install is broken, it can't update :( "
    That sucks. Don't know if this will help, but it's worth trying if you haven't already: right click the game and choose 'Properties'. Go to 'Local files and choose 'Verify integrity of game cache...'. Fixed an error I had with HL2 before so it might work. Other than that, perhaps redownloading the game might help.
    TheCappuccinoBandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Binman88: ok nice one thanks for the help 

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Pie
    @HitmanAgent47: Red faction can be very very fun aslong as your able to look past some open world elements like dull side quests and quite a bit of travel. Blowin stuff up is fun fun especially for 10$. Just buy it
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Buy the game.  It's a rather awesome experience, especially when get to be able to hijack enemy vehicles like the tanks.  I played it to completion and loved almost every aspect of the game.  It's not perfect by any means and some missions can be unforgiving but RF G is a really great experience on the whole.  Plus the multi side of things has a lot of potential.  Also, it can look great at times.

@Fudge_Whirlwind : Here's the solution.  I had the same problem.  Makes sure not cancel the RAPTR install that runs as part of the patch process as that will cancel the patch.  Just uninstall raptr via the control panel afterwards. 

TheCappuccinoBandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SeriouslyNow: I ended up getting it to work without installing raptr. I used this solution thanks for the help though. 
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#12  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Personally I think the controls for the game work out better on the console but that may just be something specific to me. If you can get this game for cheap I strongly recommend getting it.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By Hamst3r
    @Gamer_152 said:
    "

Personally I think the controls for the game work out better on the console but that may just be something specific to me. If you can get this game for cheap I strongly recommend getting it.

"
    You can use a console gamepad with your PC. :)
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#14  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
    @Hamst3r said:
    " @Gamer_152 said:
    "

"
    You can use a console gamepad with your PC. :) "
    Huzzah! All is well.
    torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By torus

I would have recommended the console version. Obviously not as cheap, but my 260GTX struggled with this game for some reason, and it's quite a bit faster than an 8800. That's probably because of crappy drivers though.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By bacongames
    @torus said:
    " I would have recommended the console version. Obviously not as cheap, but my 260GTX struggled with this game for some reason, and it's quite a bit faster than an 8800. That's probably because of crappy drivers though. "
    I had issues with performance until I put it at medium settings.  So just forget the custom stuff and leave it at presets.  I thought it looked really really really good even at medium settings.  Not bad for my 9800.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Jimbo

Bought it, can't play it because it runs at about 2x the speed it should.  Awesome, I haven't seen this happen since trying to play Theme Park on anything better than a 486.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By bacongames
    @Jimbo said:
    " Bought it, can't play it because it runs at about 2x the speed it should.  Awesome, I haven't seen this happen since trying to play Theme Park on anything better than a 486. "
    That's just... ... ... weird.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HitmanAgent47

The struggle is from the cpu, I think the game runs better on quad core or i7 when I read steam forums. I guess the whole myth of you only need a dual core, blab blab blab for pc gaming will change eventually.  

I regret not buying this game over prototype during the steam sale, since prototype was aweful. This game at least looks more fun even if it won't run well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.