Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 4

Game » consists of 39 releases. Released Jan 11, 2005

Special agent Leon S. Kennedy travels to rural Spain to rescue the U.S. President's kidnapped daughter in Resident Evil's sixth canonical installment. It is notable for a lengthy development cycle which involved a complete overhaul of the series' established gameplay mechanics.

What console is the HD-Remake ported from?

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Nekroskop

After seeing those screenshots a few months ago, I'm worried that Capcom have taken the easy way out and ported it from the PC version.(which again is a terrible port of the PS2 version)

Can anyone confirm or deny this? Tomorrow's the day of the release(EUR)

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By swoxx

Please tell me they didn't do that

ShadowMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By ShadowMountain

According to Eurogamer's review they did just that - ported the pc versoin with no reworking/remodelling of textures. Only change is resolution

I may wait for a DigitalFoundry analysis before deciding to get it.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ryanwho

All they changed is the resolution because Sony proved definitively with their their stream of "HD" "remakes" that's all you need to change to get a good return on revenue. Apparently a lot of people are really impressed with resolution bumps.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Sooty

This kind of shit is why I haven't bought into these remakes. I'd rather just use the Gamecube version on Dolphin and set it to 1920x1080. It will look far better with the additional tweaks you can use to improve visuals with Dolphin anyway.

and I bet Code Veronica will barely look better than my Dreamcast version which already runs at 640x480 thanks to the VGA box I have.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Catarrhal

Yeah, I heard it was ported from PC, which would help to explain the apparent lack of Move support. No Move support? No interest, personally.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Quipido

I just bought it on XBL and it looks surprisingly great. To me it looks like a port of PS2 version, because it includes the Separate Ways - and that, according to our own wiki, was released only on PS2 and Wii.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sesquipedalophobe

I downloaded it for nostalgic purposes. Maybe someday they'll re-release Okami so I can finally sell my wii.

Manloi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Manloi

I just bought it. However, I don't like the control. The movement and aiming in the same left analog stick. I play too much game in this generation. Not a single game do that. The game does not offer me a choice for me to choose aiming on Right analog stick. Sucks.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By sirdesmond

@Manloi said:

I just bought it. However, I don't like the control. The movement and aiming in the same left analog stick. I play too much game in this generation. Not a single game do that. The game does not offer me a choice for me to choose aiming on Right analog stick. Sucks.

This just in: Resident Evil doesn't and never has given a crap about industry default video game control schemes.

Most people, especially those reading and posting on a game site, know this by know. At least, I would think they do.

That said, RE4 had the best controls of the bunch.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Quipido

@sirdesmond said:

RE4 had the best controls

I agree - the whole game is designed around those controls, people who "demand" implementing RE5 controls don't realise it would break the whole game. RE4 has great controls and even all these years after release it makes sense. I played 5 hours of it today and can not complain.

Manloi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Manloi

I agree that Resident Evil 4 did great by keeping the same control as it is.

It is frustrate for me to pay $20 for this HD release. Yet, it does not offer me a choice to configure the control except 2 types.

Since I played way too much this generation game, I found myself often use the right analog stick by mistake. Besides, they do not offer me the sensitivity setting of the control.

I felt like controlling a tank. (LOL).

If the fans like as it is, that's great for you. For my taste, it is very frustrating.

I truly hope Capcom can release a Free Patch for offering additional setting.

badmanelite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By badmanelite

Felt the same about the control layout coming back to this after god knows how long. The controls started to click again after the first chapter, wouldn't change the controls at all. It's resident evil 4 as we know and love. After completing it and seperate ways the controls feel completely natural again, looking forward to doing the professional run/assignment ada/mercenaries now - hours upon hours of fun. :)

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CptBedlam

It is definitely a port of the GC version (you can tell by character and vegetation models). Lighting is also there (as opposed to the non-existant lighting in the PC version) but it looks not as warm as the GC lighting)

click to enlarge, notice the tree models/branches and Leon's jacket
    click to enlarge, notice the tree models/branches and Leon's jacket
    badmanelite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By badmanelite

I'm thinking its the PC version which was the PS2 version that got patched to a version with GC visuals after complaints, correct me if im wrong? Didn't the PC version get patched with lighting??

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CptBedlam

@badmanelite said:

I'm thinking its the PC version which was the PS2 version that got patched to a version with GC visuals after complaints, correct me if im wrong? Didn't the PC version get patched with lighting??

It got patched but it still this is not a port of the PC version. Without mods, the PC version still has PS2 models. The HD version on 360 and PS3 definitely has GC models.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By swoxx

They stated specifically in the quick look that this was the PC port if i'm not misremembering

badmanelite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By badmanelite

@CptBedlam: Ah so either a PC code port updated with GC models etc or a direct GC or Wii port thats been touched up a little?

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By Zippedbinders

@Swoxx said:

They stated specifically in the quick look that this was the PC port if i'm not misremembering

To be fair, a Quick Look is rarely the best source of factual information.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.