Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 7 biohazard

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Jan 24, 2017

Six years after the events of Resident Evil 6, newcomer Ethan receives a message from his presumed dead wife to reunite with her at the residence of the reclusive Baker family. The game features a first-person view and a return to traditional Survival Horror mechanics.

How do you guys feel about the Lantern Demo?

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 35

#1  Edited By donutfever

As a defender of this game when Beginning Hour came out, I was really excited to see gameplay from the full game and a little let down by what we got. Given the way a lot of fans have criticized the game for being too similar to PT/Outlast/Amnesia, I'm surprised they didn't show any combat/puzzles.

They've implied in recent interviews that there will be multiple VHS sequences like this with minimal gameplay, and completing them will allow you to progress as the main character, whose sequences will unfold more like classic RE games. If it works anything like unlocking the drawer through the VHS in Beginning Hour, it could be awesome.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

I'm really liking the idea of multiple VHS tapes, I was hoping there'd be more of that since the original demo. Interested to see what the main game plays like, though.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I'm not a fan of these types of horror games (because I'm a big baby), but this seems like a perfectly fine one of those. I'm just continually having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that this is a Resident Evil game.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By BoOzak

I prefer survival horror (inventory management, weapons etc.) but I did enjoy PT and Outlast. Speaking of which is the camera attached to her head? At least that game commited to it's found footage gimmick.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Brackstone

I'll expand on the thoughts I posted in the other thread, but this demo is not bad, but really strange. I fully admit that I am bored to tears by the hide and run style horror games that have become popular over the past few years, but this looks like a perfectly serviceable one of those.

The issue is how this marketing is being handled. All we've seen of the game so far is this kind of gameplay. They've said there'll be weapons and combat and all the usual RE staples, but nothing apart from the axe in the demo has been shown of it. Instead they've focused on this pretty but completely stock standard "run and hide" style gameplay. And if it's true that these VHS sections are merely small parts that affect how the main game works, it's strange that this is all they've chosen to reveal so far, if they are really going to be that minor. The thing people are wondering about is how the rest of the game shapes up, what is Resident Evil combat like from a first person perspective, how actioney is it, how do the enemies behave. This demo doesn't really show anything, and for those not paying close attention to the game, is going to be more misleading than anything. If they had simply said "there's sections where you are unarmed and have to evade enemies" and not put out a video or demo, people would be expecting exactly what's been shown.

That said, one of the cool things about RE has been how you see ideas in their infancy expanded upon in later games. The first game had 2 playable characters, RE0 had 2 characters controlled at one time with puzzles based on using both of them, RE5 had full blown co-op. That's a neat progression for the series. So if this VHS setup is somewhat a progression of the neat narrative hook of Revelations 2 (2 characters moving through the same environments at different times, with earlier actions having effects in the later time period) that could be really cool, and that's what I hope these sections expand on. Not just a simple matter of these being weird little side stories, but player choices in the VHS actually having effects on the rest of the game. But again, the demo did a perfectly fine job demonstrating that. We didn't need another VHS section shown.

Basically, we need to see what the bulk of the game is going to be like, and it's amazing that we haven't seen that given how close the release date is. The stuff so far has potential, but is sort of meaningless until we know how they fit into the bigger picture.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

It still feels like if you made a third person platformer and called it Doom but at least they seem committed to the idea.

Sysyphus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Really loving the direction they are taking this in as I loved both PT and Outlast. While I don't usually care for Resident Evil this seems different enough to where it might be the first RE game I actually enjoy. The beginning hour was pretty good at establishing a mood and if they can keep it up for a whole game I am definitely on board.

Wonder how many people will have a heart attack playing this in VR!

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they are telling the truth about the video tapes and that the core gameplay loop will actually feature resource management and light combat, then fantastic. It's a neat twist on the whole 'found-footage' type of horror games we've been seeing recently, and if the tapes are used for puzzle solutions and/or to tease what is to come for the main player, such as in the demo, which gave the player a puzzle solution via the secret entrance AND alluded to the existence of a murderous entity in the same haunted house you are now trapped in, then I am looking forward to it.

Revelations 2 also played with this concept quite a bit, using the same location in two different time frames in the dual campaigns to demonstrate the passing of time and to also instill a sense of dread in the player ('Hey, know that giant monster that you ran away from as Claire? Guess what Barry will have to deal with.')

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I'm still curious to see what the actual "main game" is going to be like. I'm not a huge fan of stuff like Amnesia and PT, but I'd be fine with some of that if the rest of the game is something resembling Resident Evil style survival horror.

That being said, gameplay like what's in this trailer has the potential to open up a huge new audience, and it's not at all surprising to finally see a big developer/publisher like Capcom trying to duplicate the massive success that some independent developers have had with games in this style.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok I dont think im gonna be able to handle this in vr.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I'm curious, at least, but I'm really hoping to see the part of the game that isn't just Amnesia-inspired first-person hide and seek stuff.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looked silly, i don't mind that type if gameplay and think it would be great for horror, but nothing aboutbit felt "scary".

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm interested, but its not what I would traditionally want from a RE game. I kind of feel like they could have made this an entirely new IP but didn't so they could cash in on the RE brand. But hey, we've only seen a little bit so who knows what the game will end up being. At this point the only thing that I really want is a Resident Evil 2 and Residnet Evil 3 Remake in the style of the RE1 Gamecube remake. If they do that, I'll be happy.

Hell, finish the series with RE7 and then wait a few years and do a fresh reboot going back to the survival horror roots. I don't think Capcom can do much more with the existing series unless they want to get into Final Fantasy levels of ridiculousness. "I mean, Resident Evil XII was cool and all, but Resident Evil XIII is gonna be killer! I heard Wesker and Carlos are back!"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.