Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil: Revelations 2

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 24, 2015

Revelations 2 sees the return of Claire Redfield, who along with the daughter of Barry Burton, Moira Burton, must try to escape from a monster-infested island. Meanwhile, Barry Burton himself makes his belated return as well in his attempts to save his daughter with the assistance of a little girl called Natalia Korda.

Barry Burton (sort of) confirmed.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

So, the ESRB description of the game has been floating around the interwebssssssss, with a brief description of what the game'll entail.

''This is an action-adventure game in which players assume the roles of an imprisoned woman and a father searching for his daughter on an island. Players use pistols, machine guns, rocket launchers, shotguns, and knives to kill zombies and mutated creatures. Combat is highlighted by screams of pain, realistic gunfire, and large blood-splatter effects. A handful of enemies are depicted with exposed organs, and one scene depicts an enemy having its hand cut off in slow-motion. Another scene depicts a human character shooting herself in the head with a pistol, resulting in a large splatter of blood. The words “f**k” and “sh*t” appear in the dialogue.''

And of course, what's notable is the ''players assume the roles of an imprisoned woman and a father searching for his daughter on an island.'' part. Now, it shouldn't really be that much of a shocker that Barry's in this because lol duh. But what is curious is the idea that Moira is perhaps taken out of the picture and then the game'll follow Claire and Barry as a duo... I gotta be honest, while seeing how in the Hell Capcom are going to characterise Barry in 2015 is going to be interesting to say the least, the possibility that the game'll revert to having two superheroes blasting their way through a horde of monsters ala RE5 would be pretty disappointing.

The most interesting thing about Rev 2 is how while it does feature story coop (local only as it may be), it at least early on looks to feature a unique dynamic between the two characters were Moira functions more as support rather than another gun-toting beast. Both Claire and Moira's different strengths working in tandem is certainly more intriguing than another game that's two of the same characters shooting stuff in any case. I would hope that perhaps the wording is a little of and it simply means that you'll play as both Claire and Barry... but not simultaneously. Like, as I originally predicted, the game would switch to the perspective of Barry at certain points, however he's completely on his own. This predicament would also explain why the story coop is restricted to local only, as of course playing through certain chapters only to then potentially lose the cooperative aspect somewhere along the lines would be awfully annoying for an online game.

Or maybe Barry too will have someone alongside him, I dunno. The most concrete thing to take from all this is that Barry is... 92.5348343% certain to star anywhoo!

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

Barry will probably have a mohawk and a tatoo covering half his face. yeah!

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I was pretty stupid to have his daughter as a playable character and not him. Then again I think the RE franchise is so far gone only a complete reboot could get me interested in it at this point.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Yummylee

@hassun said:

I was pretty stupid to have his daughter as a playable character and not him. Then again I think the RE franchise is so far gone only a complete reboot could get me interested in it at this point.

You're right, you were ;)... tehehehehehuhehuhehuhehuhehahuhehuhehehuhohohohheheheheeeeeeeeee

But nah, it makes sense to introduce his daughter like this. It acts as a 'tease' of sorts to the big man himself, given how sought after he is to return to the series in some form beyond Mercenaries appearances; makes for a great build up to his eventual reveal in-game. I do hope they'll save his appearance for the game itself and don't spoil it via a screenshot or trailer or something, as that would then make it fun to try and predict just when and how they'll introduce him. Though truth be told I highly doubt Capcom will be able to muster such restraint.

Also, as I mentioned in the OP, from a gameplay perspective his daughter is a much more interesting character than Barry because she chooses not to use firearms. The reasoning behind it will likely seem pretty silly, but eh, from a gameplay standpoint it helps create this unique cooperative dynamic between Claire and Moira that we have in the game.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Interesting...maybe the partnership gets switched up in between episodes? It would make sense, and be consistent with how they handled the first Revelations. Which makes me curious...would there be another playable character in there to team up with Moira at some point?

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

@yummylee said:

@hassun said:

You're right, you were ;)... tehehehehehuhehuhehuhehuhehahuhehuhehehuhohohohheheheheeeeeeeeee

But nah, it makes sense to introduce his daughter like this. It acts as a 'tease' of sorts to the big man himself, given how sought after he is to return to the series in some form beyond Mercenaries appearances; makes for a great build up to his eventual reveal in-game. I do hope they'll save his appearance for the game itself and don't spoil it via a screenshot or trailer or something, as that would then make it fun to try and predict just when and how they'll introduce him. Though truth be told I highly doubt Capcom will be able to muster such restraint.

Also, as I mentioned in the OP, from a gameplay perspective his daughter is a much more interesting character than Barry because she chooses not to use firearms. The reasoning behind it will likely seem pretty silly, but eh, from a gameplay standpoint it helps create this unique cooperative dynamic between Claire and Moira that we have in the game.

Gameplay wise she does seem more interesting but her dialogue nearly made me throw the computer out of the window (ok, not really. Duh). I just really dislike when teenager characters talk in the edgiest and most exaggerated way possible. Saying Fuck is one thing, but something like "What the cock did I just saw?!" is just plain dumb.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By N7

It's interesting that of all the characters to be playable, it's just Claire and Barry. You'd figure they'd do something like the first and have you play as 300 people.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Yummylee

@n7 said:

It's interesting that of all the characters to be playable, it's just Claire and Barry. You'd figure they'd do something like the first and have you play as 300 people.

It's for the better really. I disliked continually switching to other characters in Revelations as it took away from the feeling of isolation on the ship.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: Then just have the game be Barry and his daughter instead of Claire. Father/daughter games are all the rage these days.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun said:

@yummylee: Then just have the game be Barry and his daughter instead of Claire. Father/daughter games are all the rage these days.

There's always the possibility that that's exactly what the story will build up to. Maybe Barry will be able to persuade his daughter nearing the end to finally suck up whatever issues she has and use a gun or something, or will at the very least provide vital assistance in some way.

Also, I assume your bit about father-daughter games is sarcasm? In that it's becoming something of a cliche for games (horror games in particular) to feature a father-daughter dynamic? Regardless! That's precisely why it's more interesting that the main cast is comprised of two female characters for once. Not to mention for how it also harkens back to Resident Evil 2 and how Claire adopted the role of a 'big sister' to Sherry Birkin.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hassun

@yummylee: We'll see. Resident evil Revelaitons was a better game than RE5 and RE6 were at least.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: RE6, yes most definitely. RE5... Nah.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By theacidskull

Okay, I'm gonna ask a question that'll probably get me in deep shit but seriously, what's so special about Barry? I honestly liked Chris the best.

This an honest question.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Yummylee

@theacidskull: He was the one who had many of the original Resident Evil's ''best'' lines of dialogue and was always portrayed as a very manly man; almost comically so in spots, like his obsession with his magnum revolver.

Also, beard. EDIT: Oh, and he was the inspiration for Dogs Bower.

He's not actually a good character by any means, though I'm still really curious as to how Capcom will thusly portray him in his next appearance, as his role in the original has been his only substantial role across the series.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hassun

@yummylee: I think RE5 is only worth playing in co-op and a terrible game otherwise.

@theacidskull: He's a pretty cool/interesting dude who never got a main playable role while plenty of other character did. That's basically it. The Resident Evil series is not exactly known for having good characters.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: I know you do; you've mentioned this to me in the past ;) Still, I would have to strongly disagree. RE5 has oodles of flaws no doubt about it, but I've put in a lot of hours into that game across the years, most of which were in single-player. It's also very possible that out of the 200 or so hours invested at least 100 of those has been invested in Mercs...

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

@theacidskull: He was the one who had many of the original Resident Evil's ''best'' lines of dialogue and was always portrayed as a very manly man; almost comically so in spots, like his obsession with his magnum revolver.

Also, beard. EDIT: Oh, and he was the inspiration for Dogs Bower.

He's not actually a good character by any means, though I'm still really curious as to how Capcom will thusly portray him in his next appearance, as his role in the original has been his only substantial role across the series.

I didn't realize how powerful the cheesyness in RE was until now.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By hassun

@yummylee: I'm surprised you remembered that! Nice.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

@hassun said:

There's always the possibility that that's exactly what the story will build up to. Maybe Barry will be able to persuade his daughter nearing the end to finally suck up whatever issues she has and use a gun or something, or will at the very least provide vital assistance in some way.

Also, I assume your bit about father-daughter games is sarcasm? In that it's becoming something of a cliche for games (horror games in particular) to feature a father-daughter dynamic? Regardless! That's precisely why it's more interesting that the main cast is comprised of two female characters for once. Not to mention for how it also harkens back to Resident Evil 2 and how Claire adopted the role of a 'big sister' to Sherry Birkin.

Barry: Here. Moira. Use. THE GUN!!

Moira: No. DAD. I don't. USE GUNS!!!

Barry: No Moira... NOT THE GUN. ONTHEOUTSIDE. USE THE GUN... ON THE INSIDE!

Moira slowly begins to dissolve into a metallic liquid, puddling around on the ground before reshaping herself into a giant hand-cannon!!! Barry then begins duelwielding his daughter alongside his other hand-cannon in a glorious hellfire of bullets and death the only way Barry Burton can.

I need. This. To happen. ORIWILLBEDISAPPOINTED!!! and then move on to the next chapter.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@n7: The way the RE series has been evolving, I wouldn't be surprised to see this actually happen.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Yummylee

@n7: ...Very good. This would also set into motion the dream for the entire cast of Resident Evil to function as weapons for Barry to wield. Claire would be a flamethrower, Chris would be a jackhammer, Jill would be a sandwich, and Wesker would be a sniper rifle with the scope missing... on the account that he lost his head.

Parker would be Barry's grenades, only he doesn't turn into grenades, he's just the same lifesized Parker but can now be thrown and will explode on contact.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By N7

@yummylee said:

@n7: ...Very good. This would also set into motion the dream for the entire cast of Resident Evil to function as weapons for Barry to wield. Claire would be a flamethrower, Chris would be a jackhammer, Jill would be a sandwich, and Wesker would be a sniper rifle with the scope missing... on the account that he lost his head.

Parker would be Barry's grenades, only he doesn't turn into grenades, he's just the same lifesized Parker only he can now be thrown and will explode on contact.

And yet his sunglasses will be perfectly perched on where his face used to be.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@n7 said:

@yummylee said:

@hassun said:

Barry: Here. Moira. Use. THE GUN!!

Moira: No. DAD. I don't. USE GUNS!!!

Barry: No Moira... NOT THE GUN. ONTHEOUTSIDE. USE THE GUN... ON THE INSIDE!

Moira slowly begins to dissolve into a metallic liquid, puddling around on the ground before reshaping herself into a giant hand-cannon!!! Barry then begins duelwielding his daughter alongside his other hand-cannon in a glorious hellfire of bullets and death the only way Barry Burton can.

I need. This. To happen. ORIWILLBEDISAPPOINTED!!! and then move on to the next chapter.

Is this similar to what Barry would say? lol

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: Of course. No one else can have full-stop mannerisms but Barry!

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is great news it is about time we get to play as barry in something other than mercernaries modes and stuff i always liked the guy

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.