Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil Village

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released May 07, 2021

After a disturbing encounter with Chris Redfield, Ethan Winters must rescue his daughter in a village overrun with mutant creatures in the follow-up to Resident Evil 7: Biohazard.

Internet Be Damned, Lady Dimitrescu Isn't Close To Being The Best Character In Resident Evil Village [SPOILER WARNING!]

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

Preamble [Also, MASSIVE SPOILERS CAN BE FOUND IN THIS BLOG; YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!]

I'm sorry, but this is not even a contest.
    I'm sorry, but this is not even a contest.

It is not every day I take up the challenge of picking a fight with the internet, but here we are. In the lead-up to Resident Evil Village, the internet's horniness ended up making Lady Dimitrescu a bit of a mascot. This happened through sheer brute force of the internet as the vampiric mother only appeared in the first trailer for a scant few seconds. Nonetheless, the internet's "thirstiness" is unquestionable, and Capcom, seeing an opportunity to make money, emblazoned her across their promotional materials for the game. Cardboard cut-outs, posters, and concept art featured her widely on various social media circles. Now, I want to clarify that I do not seek to kink shame or scold anyone who might have joined the Lady Dimitrescu bandwagon. Her character design is impeccable and hopefully serves as a reminder that you can get people excited about a female character that isn't as thin as a rail. However, the unfortunate downside of Lady Dimitrescu's memic popularity is that the game's other antagonists fell to the wayside during the lead-up to the release of Village.

Which, there's something to be said about Capcom's role in this situation. I am of the mind that Capcom knew exactly what they were doing when they had Lady Dimitrescu featured prominently in the game's initial trailers and gameplay footage. And yes, getting the internet hot and bothered, which again I wish to emphasize I am not shaming anyone who might fall in that category, was part of their plan. Nonetheless, I think there's a more "pragmatic" reason for Capcom featuring everyone's favorite nine-foot-tall vampire baroness. Lady Dimitrescu's level is the one that most closely mimics the format of Resident Evil Remake 1 and 2. She functions similarly to a highly modified version of Mr. X or Tyrant. I think this allowed Capcom to onboard people who were critical of Resident Evil 7 but liked the first two remake games. When you look at how the entire first environment is structured and compare that to the rest of the game, I think Capcom's intent becomes nakedly transparent. And before anyone accuses me of being a "Negative Nancy," I don't believe this decision was a bad one. The mechanical diversity between each of Village's set pieces is one of my favorite aspects of the game. However, that's dancing around the issue of Dimitrescu not getting her due.

The reality is, despite the early hype, Lady Dimitrescu is just Resident Evil Village's "tutorial" boss with the expected limitations as such. She's "fine" but incredibly limited in what she adds to the story and mechanically hampered in how effective she can meddle with the player. Sure, one could argue her "daughters" are the game's first "true" boss encounter. However, even the story doesn't frame them as the lords of the realm they inhabit. That makes Lady Dimitrescu the first rallying point of the game's ensemble of antagonists. Beneviento, Moreau, and Heisenberg follow her upon her defeat at the player's hands, and Village culminates with the oft-mentioned "Mother Miranda." Speaking of which, if I were to "rank" the internet's favorite vampire mommy, I would rank her as the second-worst boss in the game. Beneviento, Moreau, and Heisenberg are, as we will discuss shortly, far more memorable characters with better culminating environments than Dimitrescu. There's a warped part of my brain willing to go so far as to say she's worse than Mother Miranda. However, once I shake away the lizard portion of my brain, I willingly accept the overall consensus that the last hour of Village is a complete tire fire. So, why do I rank Lady Dimitrescu lower than most people who have played Resident Evil Village?

Donna Beneviento Is The Best Themed Boss In The Game

All the shit with this doll is so fucking good!
    All the shit with this doll is so fucking good!

I'm going to be honest; I'm amazed Donna Beneviento didn't factor more into the promotional materials for Village's release. The "cursed doll" gimmick is one of the most ubiquitous tropes in the horror genre. Nonetheless, the manner in which the game goes about inverting your expectations with a well-worn horror trope is simply magnificent. The constrained level in which you confront the mutant dollmaker provides the best pure horror experiences in the entire game—culminating with a P.T.-inspired journey through a dollhouse-based nightmare. Stripped of your weapons, your attempt to keep Ethan alive while ducking Beneviento's horrors, including her mutant fetus, strike far more effectively than anything the game does with Lady Dimitrescu. Again, part of this is due to the game using Lady Dimitrescu's environment to tutorial the player. So much of her environment is meant to doll out tokens and other collectibles, so the player knows to search every nook and cranny for goodies. Likewise, she's never a challenging encounter, given she's the first real antagonist you confront.

Contrasting Beneviento with Dimitrescu also underscores a lot of the limitations with the latter. While Dimitrescu's ornate castle is fun to look at and explore, it lacks the foreboding sense of dread you have when scrambling around Beneviento's cursed dollhouse. There are a ton of open balconies and atriums in Lady Dimitrescu's castle, which provide the player with breathing room or opportunities to relax and spelunk for collectibles. Beneviento's environment, on the other hand, strings you across a series of rapid-fire survival horror sequences and forces you to not worry about skill points until you're done with her shit. And the culminating battles? Lady Dimitrescu's final form is a ho-hum action set piece that doesn't fully take advantage of the environment. Despite some scenes in which you see her fling you across different portions of the castle, the damage is mainly cosmetic. Also, the way you go about beating her devolves into your ability to act out an action hero power fantasy in which you unload rifle rounds and ballistics without a single care in the world.

Now, compare that to Donna Beneviento and her dollhouse. Again, the level is constrained, and this provides a better horror scaffold. Even if the level's overall difficulty is on par with Dimitrescu's, you don't feel that way as Beneviento's environment has far fewer opportunities for you to catch your breath. Likewise, exploring the level with no inventory allows the game to subject you to the best atmospheric and environmental design the game has to offer. The fetus baby monster is far more frightening and intimidating by itself than any time Dimitrescu chases after you in her enormous castle. Finally, you don't see a ridiculous mutation when you reach Beneviento's final battle. Chasing after the cursed doll, so you can stab it and watch it gush blood, claps way more than when you blow up the expected Eldritch abomination Dimitrescu transforms into during her boss fight.

Moreau's Level Does A Better Job At Worldbuilding And Storytelling Than Lady Dimitrescu's Castle

And if the reason you dislike Moreau is because of the platforming bits... Resident Evil has done worse. Especially when it comes to platforming.
    And if the reason you dislike Moreau is because of the platforming bits... Resident Evil has done worse. Especially when it comes to platforming.

For whatever reason, Moreau seems to have become what the internet has called "the worst boss" in Resident Evil Village. And you know what? I'm not buying it. Moreau's environment, especially the final part, addresses one of the most significant failings of Dimitrescu's citadel. Unlike the castle, the reservoir feels tailor-made for Moreau's final form. Additionally, you can tell Moreau has impacted his domain, whereas Dimitrescu's abode feels like a preserved relic removed from the chaos surrounding it. In Moreau's case, each sequence feels distinct from one another, which ramps up when Moreau mutates. When he transforms into a monstrous aquatic creature, the game becomes a puzzle in which you dodge his attacks while hopping from platform to platform. The way you play the game fundamentally changes to mimic that you are facing something, unlike anything you have seen before. Again, the big flaw of Lady Dimitrescu's final encounter is that you shoot her in the face a bunch and watch one scripted cutscene after another until she goes down for the count. It's undoubtedly epic to watch, but not nearly as dynamic as it should be.

Another small touch I especially enjoyed during the final stage of the reservoir is how it cuts the bullshit and doesn't throw a bunch of lycans or bats at you while you deal with Moreau. Instead, you can give him all the attention he deserves, which allows you to enjoy the developers' effort to make him a genuinely horrific abomination. Likewise, both he and Heisenberg have motivations that are clearly communicated to the player and which are further expanded upon as you explore their environments. The downfall of Moreau and his pitiful attempts to court the favor of Mother Miranda differentiate him from the rest of the game's antagonists. While Heisenberg and Dimitrescu are able to maintain a mostly human form, Moreau cannot, and you always suspect he's moments away from falling apart at the seams. Ethan's immediate capture of Moreau's portion of Rose's body further underscores his pitiful state, and I like him being one of the few villains to express more than one or two emotional states.

Speaking of "the little things" that go the distance in Resident Evil Village, let's talk about the journals and diaries. The difference in the quality of collectible-based writing between Dimitrescu and Moreau is massive. Again, a lot of this is due to Dimitrescu's set-piece scaffolding concepts in the scope of a tutorial level and front-loading vocabulary that is expanded upon later. There are many diaries and journals in the starting castle, but they lack an overall theme and, worse, rarely do anything to contextualize Dimitrescu as an actual character. Sure, Moreau's journals are limited in scope and depict a predictable descent into madness without any form of nuance, but they are there. It is, once again, another reminder of how Moreau is a reflection of his environment and vice versa. Which helps connect all of the dots of his level as you approach its conclusion. The puzzles you completed leading up to his final confrontation sufficiently prepare you for the "genre break" during his boss battle, and that's something that cannot be said about the rest of the game's antagonists.

Karl Heisenberg Is The Single Best "Spectacle" The Game Provides

Every time to meet Heisenberg in person, it's a real treat.
    Every time to meet Heisenberg in person, it's a real treat.

How can anyone argue Lady Dimitrescu is better than Heisenberg? His voice actor chews up the scenery like Stanley Tucci, and he strikes a better balance between traditional horror and camp. When the man turns into a Michael Bay Transformer, I can't comprehend anyone NOT viewing that as the "high point" of Resident Evil Village. The spectacle of seeing Heisenberg transform into a Tetsuo: The Iron Man homage hits far harder than Dimitrescu's transformation. That is in part because of your previous interactions with him. Even when he taunts Ethan through TV screens, you can pick up his character quirks and traits almost immediately. And that's the key here. While Lady Dimitrescu repeats one of four possible soundbites whenever she encounters Ethan; Heisenberg motions the player into a full-fledged series of missions. He feels like an actual character with motivations, as harebrained as they may be, and is NOT just a stand-in for players to get their feet wet.

Additionally, to repeat my earlier point of the best bosses being a reflection of their environments, Heisenberg is a perfect example of that. The frightful metallic cyberpunk abominations Heisenberg creates complement the mood and tone of his environment. Sure, Dimitrescu has some annoying bat monsters flying around her palace, but there are not enough enemy encounters that feel overtly connected to her or her daughters. Everything you battle or meet in the first environment feels like Resident Evil Village pulling character models from a playbook and dealing with them is even less inspired. I understand the deliberative nature of Dimitrescu's level and the designers not wanting to test the player's mettle too much or otherwise risk players falling off too suddenly. I also appreciate the legitimate criticism that Heisenberg's level goes on a bit too long. However, when the combat ramps up with Heisenberg, you learn more about his deal and why he wants to get one over Mother Miranda.

People who do not like this boss battle battle don't like fun.
    People who do not like this boss battle battle don't like fun.

Many people like to curse Heisenberg as the point when the game errs towards schlock rather than grimdark horror. But you know what? This is Resident Evil; this franchise is based on schlock. I have a real hard time understanding why people are saying Heisenberg's final transformation is "too much" when this franchise at one point had players fighting a nine-foot-tall mutation of Albert Wesker in the center of an active volcano. How does Resident Evil 4 get all of the shiny medals when it has Ramon Salazar, but Village gets excoriated for letting you pilot a tank to kill a robot-man? Resident Evil is not a horror video game; it's a life choice. The original Resident Evil 2 had you fight a giant zombie Mothra bug! And for fuck's sake, the original "Plant 34" (aka Ivy) was a reference to Little Shop of Horrors! What the fuck are we even doing if Resident Evil Village can't be stupid? Heisenberg's final battle is the best an action set piece in this franchise has ever played. The production values seamlessly transition you from one sequence of events to the next, and when Heisenberg taunts you, he's adding more to the game's worldbuilding. Unlike Dimitrescu's final battle, Heisenberg pulls all of the separate threads his environment foreshadows into a single spectacle. And what a rip-roaring spectacle it was when it climaxed. Finally, if you did not laugh when Heisenberg called Chris a "boulder punching bitch" I don't know if we can be friends.

Can we also recognize how Heisenberg is an incel? His long screeds lamenting the loss of his "dignity" because his boss is a woman are fan fucking-tastic. And whenever he goes on one of his long rants about the conspiracy surrounding Mother Miranda, you can't help but think he's one second away from moaning about vaccines turning you into a crocodile. It's not exactly nuanced, but there's more depth to what he says to the player beyond taunts and insults. In a lot of ways, Heisenberg is in a pitiful state similar to Moreau. The difference is that his failings and character flaws are not manifested physically, and you have to go the extra step of locating his journals to know what he's about and why he's always hot and bothered. And in a game like Resident Evil Village, having a villain that is more than the sum of its parts is a minor miracle. I mean, are any of my critics going to contend that Heisenberg is a worse written character than Jake in Resident Evil 6? Do those people exist? Let me know if they do in the comments.

DoctorFaust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By DoctorFaust

Ctrl+F "The Duke". Zero results. What?

But seriously, I'm with you for the most part, and thank you for writing this. I'll only say that I found Heisenberg's circumstances to be as interesting as his personality. He resists the mind control but is nonetheless humbled by his powers being weaker than Miranda's. This adds layers of human element to the story that takes it from "This is a crazy biolab" to "This is a crazy biolab run by assholes".

The fact that Heisenberg is one of their strongest, most "successful" mutations so far but also the one most resistant to mind control has some neat implications. (But also so tongue-in-cheek that it rips a hole in the side of their mouth.) Heisenberg creates the grey area in the story. Thematically, because his (albeit power-hungry and, yes, vaguely incel) attempts to get you to join his side show that this game world you've been exploring isn't so black-and-white. Morally, because the way he describes events provides insight into whether you're an omnivorous monster demonstrating your superiority or a gentle angel of death putting countless woe begotten souls out of their misery. There's a real sense of victimization in his language, and nobody asked to have the Cadou put in them. I seem to recall Heisenberg's experiments reanimating the dead rather than transforming the living.

Back to The Duke, though. He's indestructible. He's everywhere. He knows everything. Like, everything. Is he some kind of manifestation of the mutamycete network itself? Or does he just tap into it? All hail The Duke.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

I like the lady, she's rather tall..

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

No Caption Provided

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

None of those are big women who might step on me. Talk about a click bait title...

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Damn I could hardly disagree more! Didn't realize anyone liked the RE trope of everyone turning into a big squishy thing, but I guess they must keep doing it for a reason. I'm all for schlock, but schlock can be interesting. I never find RE's giant monsters interesting at all. There's zero nuance to them. Big red things; arm here; arm there; boring. Compare them with any Silent Hill's enemy design and it's clear which ones look like 1st graders drawing "cool monsters" and which ones look like well-concepted disturbing abominations.

The Heisenberg part where you float up and grab the tank again is cool but it's lame that it's a cutscene and you can't actually hit the 'fire' button yourself.

I agree Lady D's section is kinda hand-holdy, but she's still the best and most interesting character in the game... until they turn her into a big red thing.

Only part I strongly agree with is the big crying/laughing baby being a great sequence. It's my favorite part. Short and sweet, and, similar to what you said, seems like an homage to P.T. in tone and feels great. The doll part afterward didn't do much for me at all. Maybe I just don't like RE and wanted it to be more like RE7's first half...

I thankfully never played RE5 or RE6 so I can only compare it to the better entries in the series. Up against 5 and 6, though... sure, it's all amazing.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

I agree, Heisenberg was a much more impactful villain. Capcom was right in making him the final major boss before facing Miranda in the end. He reminded me a lot of Ardyn from Final Fantasy XV, in terms of being a clever bastard with his own motives for his actions. I think Capcom did great marketing by focusing the advertisement on Lady D, to the point that many people thought she was the big bad and final boss of the game. It made all the other surprises in RE8 that much more fun to discover. But the overall most interesting character in the game for me, was The Duke. Capcom was able to pull off what they did with The Merchant in RE4, make an interesting, mysterious character who sells you things. And its nice that The Duke turns out to be genuinely nice, unlike The Merchant who didn't give a F about the situation, he just wanted the money. Which might be why you can kill The Marchant, but not The Duke.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like Lady Dimitrescu's model design and the fabulous job her voice actor did but yes Capcom didn't handle her well.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watch some of the videos of the actors playing the game, like Nicole Thompkins who voiced Jill Valentine in the remake of 3 as well as two characters in Village; she streams herself going through some of the RE games and having other actors come on when they come into the game. I am happy that it seems most of them are enthusiastic about the roles they play in the Resident Evil series, and personally, I think they all did a great job, but on the other hand, I was pretty disappointed because I felt in Village, all the villains were underutilized. They come and go so quickly. Lady Dimitrescu's design stands out more than her personality, and no, I am not talking strictly about the sexuality part. I wish Capcom had done a better job at marketing the game too, maybe going so far as to show even less than they did.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.