Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil

Franchise »

Capcom's Resident Evil (or Biohazard in Japan) series continues to draw in players with its stories of hideous mutations and the pharmaceutical company Umbrella Inc. It is Capcom's best-selling franchise in terms of software sales.

Favourite Mercenaries Iteration?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Yummylee

So to... ''cleanse'' myself you could say after all of the time spent slogging through RE6, I recently went back into RE4 and RE5 to remind myself of what a good action-RE was. RE5 definitely still has some problems (I just can't abide the cooperative aspect of it, though the final third is where it all really started to turn sour for me), but RE4 is basically timeless. However, Ashley is still a fucking annoying bint with that eardrum shatteringly shrill voice of hers. She's a very... anime sort of character, with those huge eyes and those up skirt ''gags''.. Gameplay wise she's no problem, and it's still impressive how she will intuitively get out of the way of wherever you're aiming. But as a character, she's damn near unbearable.

One such difference between RE4 and RE5 that really stood out for me was how shakier Leon's aim is in RE4. Not to say it's anything like RE6's, but Leon isn't quite as robotic with his handling of weapons like Chris and Sheva were in RE5. Those guys are dead-on with their aim, whereas Leon may take a little bit more effort to line up his shots. Which I actually preferred. It could definitely make me just a little more overwhelmed by a marching crowd much more so than in RE5. But let's be honest, they're both still pretty easy when it comes down to it.

In any case! Getting to the topic at hand, I also recently played some Mercenaries of both RE4 and RE5, and, well, they're how I remembered them. RE5 I've always had it fresh in my mind because I like to head back in there every so often because that is a damn fine Mercenaries mode they've got there.

RE5's is definitely more or less RE4's but bigger, but I do prefer some of the levels in RE4. There's only four of them, but most are much compact and easier to understand. RE5's Missile Base map still leaves me getting lost as I flounder about trying to find the next time bonus. Plus I really loved playing as Krauser in RE4; guy's bow is so damn fun, and it's a shame you can't unlock it for the main game. I especially liked how each character has their own theme when playing Mercenaries as well, whereas in RE5 there's just the one that plays across all maps and characters.

Though RE5's has more replay value, courtesy of a larger set of characters and of course more support down the line. Mercenaries Reunion added in a whole new set of characters (like Barry!!), but unfortunately did keep to the same maps, while moving the placements of the time bonuses about here and there.

There's still RE6's of course... Which for me personally, it's arguably the only good piece of content in the game, but the weaker shooting overall didn't keep me locked in as much. As soon as I unlocked all of the characters and costumes, I was then ready to put RE6 down for good. Though I have to admit, I did enjoy the strange Eurotrash trance theme song they've got for RE6's Mercenaries.

There's also still the actual full Mercenaries game on the 3DS, which I haven't played so I can't comment on that. And while it is a very different sort of mode, I decided to add in RE3's Operation Mad Jackel as well since it... technically started the Mercenaries fad.And to think, that's the only one where its title make sense. The characters you're playing as in that are actual mercenaries. Always found it weird why they'd carry the name over into RE4's arena based combat thing. I still really liked RE3's Mercenaries in any case. Played that a ton, and I always found it stimulating as you work with what supplies you have to maximise how much killin' you can get done to increase your overall time. And playing that thing as Nicholai is fucking brutal.

In any case it's.... going to go for RE5 for me. It's the one I've probably spent the most time with, and it will forever hold a special place in my heart as the one that finally brought Barry back to me, now in glorious RE5-era HD graphics! And the way he'd shout out his goofy one-liners during combat... genius! RE4's and RE3's would probably tie at second place, though.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Bigandtasty

4. I felt like each map and character was more unique and iconic with significant differences between them, and I liked being able to pause and switch weapons with the double-chainsaw Salvador breathing down my neck.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By musubi

I really liked the combat in RE6 so... RE6. But...I also just traded in RE6 today so guess I didn't like it all that much? =\

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Genkkaku

I don't think I played a lot of RE5's Mercenaries mode because I found a better way to get whatever the currency was (god I can't even remember what it was).. They added more characters? damn I wish I didn't trade my copy when i did..

And I don't think I played to much of 4's either, (I'm also thinking of jumping back in but whether or not to plug my GC in or just nut up and buy the HD remake for the consoles)..

As much as I liked RE6's Mercenaries I stopped pretty early on after realizing I was neither going to go back into the campaign or was unlocking anything really awesome..

But 3 I remember me and my cousin playing the hell out of it, trying to 1-up each-other, seeing who could make it the furthest as Nicholai.. Also we both really dug Michael for the very short amount of time he was in the game so we joyed at being able to play him..

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By SuperWristBands

RE5. Most re playability and 5 is the height of control perfection in an RE game in my opinion. Loved all the characters they added in Mercenaries Reunion as well. Barry and Rebecca should be in every Mercenaries. I love that Barry would say "I have this!" when you killed an enemy with a melee when they were on the ground. That particular melee was also called the Miranda Rights as well so that's cool too.

I didn't play much of RE4's Mercenaries but I played enough for Double Chainsaw guy to scare me to this day.

RE 6 has a kinda good Mercenaries mode. Fun for sure but it didn't leave me wanting to play more after getting all the costumes and characters. I'll go back to it when more is released (really hoping for Barry, Rebecca and Jill). Though it's pretty stupid that Capcom deliberately gimped the mode by making half of it a pre-order bonus with a map at three different places. You'd have to buy the game three times to have all the content available at launch... at launch.

Oh and sometimes turning backwards and doing an arc instead of turning right around is one of the most bullshit things that game does. Losing a melee chance to that is dumb.

Camoufrage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Camoufrage

I really did enjoy RE5 Mercenaries, especially after Gold Edition. By far the most Mercs content (especially compared to RE6's barebones BS)

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#8  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I've probably spent the most time playing RE4's mercenaries, though to my own shame I cannot admit to having unlocked the hand cannon. It's all Leon's fault, as his stupid shotgun isn't nearly effective enough against bosses. However, RE5's mercenaries mode is basically the same thing but with more maps and characters and you can play it with a friend if that is your jam. Thus, I guess I consider it a tie? I can't claim to have enjoyed RE3's little minigame, but I don't really like the battle games in any of the older games (the award for lamest battle game still goes to Leech Hunter), and I haven't played RE6 (oh, but don't worry. I will. Once I can get it for $20 used) so all I can say about that is that I really enjoy the weird synth dance club theme that it has.

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By XenoNick

I've spent the most time in RE5 (I destroy with Battle Suit Jill) and I'll load up RE5 when I get bored for a few runs. I enjoy RE4's a lot but I have never been able to set a decent score on Waterworld as I get way to nervous dealing with SuperSalvador -_-. I think mercs in RE6 is the most redeeming thing for me in the game (however once I unlocked Sherry's alt outfit from RE.net she's all I've used since). I haven't that much that time Mercs in RE3 so can't say to much. With Mercs 3D I got a solid week out of it when I had to pull long shifts in work and would play it while traveling and on breaks.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Yummylee

@ArbitraryWater said:

I've probably spent the most time playing RE4's mercenaries, though to my own shame I cannot admit to having unlocked the hand cannon. It's all Leon's fault, as his stupid shotgun isn't nearly effective enough against bosses. However, RE5's mercenaries mode is basically the same thing but with more maps and characters and you can play it with a friend if that is your jam. Thus, I guess I consider it a tie? I can't claim to have enjoyed RE3's little minigame, but I don't really like the battle games in any of the older games (the award for lamest battle game still goes to Leech Hunter), and I haven't played RE6 (oh, but don't worry. I will. Once I can get it for $20 used) so all I can say about that is that I really enjoy the weird synth dance club theme that it has.

Most of them weren't especially stellar, but I did enjoy RE2's Extreme Battle mode as well. It was basically a precursor for the RE3 Mercenaries, complete with the exact same character selection screen. Objectives were a little different, though, as you were to locate 4 different anti-virus bombs (lol). Especially cool thing was you could unlock Chris Redfield! Kinda funny how Chris could withstand the recoil of the shotgun (with the combined parts I might add) much more effectively than Leon at that, just to contrast the amount of firearms experience they both had at the time. It just gets insane on the highest difficulty, though; stuff like entering the R.P.D. car park only to find William Birkin in his ravenous maw-mouth dog form awaiting you there. Also while I don't know if it counts in the same reign as Extreme Battle and Operation Mad Jackal, but there's of course the HUNK and Tofu stuff as well, which you can't deny is just so wonderfully absurd.

Still, you're right about Leech Hunter. Though Code: Veronica's Battle Game is undoubtedly the worst of the lot, even if it did introduce Wesker's playable debut which was kinda neat.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By pr1mus

My vote went to RE3. It's infinitely less replayable than the others by its nature but i've always preferred that style of gameplay over modern RE.

I did play 4's a lot and became quite good at it but by the time i finished RE5 i was getting tired of that particular brand of action and so it never captured my attention.

I haven't played 6 and The Mercenaries 3D.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Joeyoe31

I put way too much time into Mercs 3D. There was a month period where I would play at least an hour a day. I still pop it in every once and a while when I'm bored. Say what you will about the save data fiasco, but I felt it was the best out of every iteration of the Mercenaries game mode.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JZ

4 with hunk

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.