Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resistance: Retribution

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Mar 17, 2009

Resistance: Retribution follows the story of former British Marine James who goes on a vendetta against the Chimera after he is forced to kill his own brother inside a Chimeran conversion center.

"you're an idiot if you don't buy this game. " IGN

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Hexpane

Greg Miller from IGN at it again w/ his attempt at review schtick.  Greg loves to play a "character" while writing on IGN, he fancies himself a modern day gaming Andy Kaufman for always being in a schtick coma and attempting his insults in a review as some sort of homage to David Smith without the wit or sarcasm.

The fault w/ Miller's work is the obvious trying too hard mechanic.  He lacks the set up and punch line ability.  He jumpts right into his best "jokes" early on.   More importantly he lacks a sense of timing or delivery, frankly I don't think he has any relevant comedic talents.

Other than that, IGN loves the game.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By crunchUK

If i bought it without owning a psp i am sure that would make me more of an idiot if i didn't buy it.....

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Black_Rose

Ironic...coming from IGN

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Snipzor

*Do not own psp, already a default idiot*

eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By eric_buck

Dude! Be helpful next time and post a link of his review so we can agree with you!

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

"You're an idiot if you trust IGNorant" - MattyFTM

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hexpane
    Eric_Buck said:
    "Dude! Be helpful next time and post a link of his review so we can agree with you!"
    IGN has enough page views as it is

crunchUK
    said:
    "If i bought it without owning a psp i am sure that would make me more of an idiot if i didn't buy it....."
    This is probably the most spot on post from crunchUK ever!  Well done son, well done.

sidescroller said:
    "Stop taking this stuff so seriously. It's one person, I can't believe ONE PERSON has such a huge effect over the entire community."
    I'm not sure what you mean about taking this so seriously?  The Greg Miller guy is constantly trying to clown, but he is not funny.  He is simply painful and has a aimless confrontational writing style that simply falls flat over and over again.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Milkman

You guys are pathetic. It's a joke. Stop crying. 

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Al3xand3r

Got the demo for my PSP. Not getting the full game.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By tekmojo

He's not going to change his writing style just for you, all you can do is rant about it.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hexpane
    tekmojo said:
    "He's not going to change his writing style just for you, all you can do is rant about it."
    Of course he wont, but how do you like his style?  Are you a fan of Miller's reviews and editorials?  IGN is a brand, like McDonalds.  They have either fired or parted ways w/ their most well known and well respected writers years ago, yet IGN is as big as ever.  Then again they still get letters from idiots asking them "why did you make GameX such a bad game!" people who don't understand the difference between a website and a game developer.
    KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By KamasamaK
    Hexpane said:
    "tekmojo said:
    "He's not going to change his writing style just for you, all you can do is rant about it."
    Of course he wont, but how do you like his style?  Are you a fan of Miller's reviews and editorials?  IGN is a brand, like McDonalds.  They have either fired or parted ways w/ their most well known and well respected writers years ago, yet IGN is as big as ever.  Then again they still get letters from idiots asking them "why did you make GameX such a bad game!" people who don't understand the difference between a website and a game developer."
    I'm a fan of his podcasting personality, but I don't think his reviews should be as outrageous. I'm fine with a bit of humor, but I don't think sarcastic insults like that belong.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By RHCPfan24

I'll get this I guess. I haven't touched my PSP in awhile so I would love to have a change. Looks like a solid game.

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Bulldog19892

I read the review. I didn't realize he was trying to be funny. If he was, he failed pretty horribly.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By tekmojo
    Hexpane said:
    "tekmojo said:
    Of course he wont, but how do you like his style?  Are you a fan of Miller's reviews and editorials?  IGN is a brand, like McDonalds.  They have either fired or parted ways w/ their most well known and well respected writers years ago, yet IGN is as big as ever.  Then again they still get letters from idiots asking them "why did you make GameX such a bad game!" people who don't understand the difference between a website and a game developer."
    Well I'm not familiar with Greg Miller's reviews but I read bits and pieces of the Resistance one. Yea, he's borderline selling a game, while writing a review at the same time. But that's what pretty much any reviewer will try to do (if it's a good game). I don't really see how someone could read the entire review and be hypnotized though. He's got strong feelings for the game but the message came across clear. Everything else, including jokes and whatnot can be thrown away.
    ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#16  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

He also used the word "retarded" in his review for Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard here's the context:

"...this boss battle becomes a battle against retardedmechanics."

Oh now that's what I call classy Greg Miller

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Milkman

Brad said in his Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise review that if you didn't play the original Viva Pinata, you're a bad person. SCANDAL!

Seriously, he made a joke. You didn't like the joke. Uh...okay? That's too bad. Were you really that offended by the joke?
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hexpane
    ZombiePie said:

"He also used the word "retarded" in his review

for Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard here's the context:

Oh now that's what I call classy Greg Miller"
    This is what I am talking about.  He goes into this "fanboi schtick coma" and can't get out.  His reviews are written like something I would expect from a 12 year old who is flunking school. 

I've never heard his podcasts, but is he the kid who was squealing like a pig and yelling about Penny Arcade when PA was actually commenting on 1up not IGN? 
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Milkman
    Hexpane said:
    "ZombiePie said:

This is what I am talking about.  He goes into this "fanboi schtick coma" and can't get out.  His reviews are written like something I would expect from a 12 year old who is flunking school.  I've never heard his podcasts, but is he the kid who was squealing like a pig and yelling about Penny Arcade when PA was actually commenting on 1up not IGN?  "
    Giant Bomb says retarded on the Bombcast all the time. MORE SCANDAL!
    ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#20  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
    Milkman said:
    "Hexpane said:
    "ZombiePie said:

This is what I am talking about.  He goes into this "fanboi schtick coma" and can't get out.  His reviews are written like something I would expect from a 12 year old who is flunking school.  I've never heard his podcasts, but is he the kid who was squealing like a pig and yelling about Penny Arcade when PA was actually commenting on 1up not IGN?  "
    "
    I can see were you're coming from, but I don't like it when the guys on the Bombcast use the word, they're putting a negative connotation on a word that shouldn't have a negative connotation. I guess the difference is that what Greg Miller did was a published review and what the guys say on the Bombcast is casual conversation, the review should be more professional in structure.

P.S.  And don't think that I didn't notice that you used the common practice logical fallacy
    P.S.S. I love your forum posts, they're comical and exactly what I like to read after a hard day.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jayge_

Miller and Clements are complete jokes. As are most IGN reviewers. Anyway.

This game is Day 1 for me anyway. I got 60+ hours each from both Syphon Filters, so combining the Bend engine with the wicked Resistance universe is an unbeatable combination.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

You "game review industry buff" types like to take yourselves seriously, don't you?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Milkman
    ZombiePie said:
    "Milkman said:
    "Hexpane said:
    "ZombiePie said:

"
    P.S.S. I love your forum posts, they're comical and exactly what I like to read after a hard day."
    Haha, thanks. = )
    MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MetalGearSunny

I don't need IGN to tell me I am an idiot, I already know that.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hexpane
    Milkman said:
    "Hexpane said:
    "ZombiePie said:

"
    Podcasts are meaningless to this topic.
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hexpane
    Bellum said:
    "You "game review industry buff" types like to take yourselves seriously, don't you?"
    I am in no way a "buff".  I just want to read an informative, well written professional review. If I wanted a fanboi rant I could just click on any of the millions of blogs or forums around.  Humor in a review is fine by me.  David Smith and Dave Z from the OLD IGN used to inject humor often, and David Smith was a sarcastic, sardonic biting bastard.  But he was a brilliant writer (check out his ICO review, which is considered by most to be the standard).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hexpane said:
    "Bellum said:
    "You "game review industry buff" types like to take yourselves seriously, don't you?"
    I am in no way a "buff".  I just want to read an informative, well written professional review. If I wanted a fanboi rant I could just click on any of the millions of blogs or forums around.  Humor in a review is fine by me.  David Smith and Dave Z from the OLD IGN used to inject humor often, and David Smith was a sarcastic, sardonic biting bastard.  But he was a brilliant writer (check out his ICO review, which is considered by most to be the standard)."

You're being contrary. Humor is ok as long as you think it's funny, but otherwise it's unprofessional? Also, what is the difference between a podcast and a review in this case? Both are a legitimate business tactic, that is both are designed to generate traffic. Should a written opinion be held to a different standard than a spoken opinion? Why?
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hexpane
    Bellum said:
    "Hexpane said:
    "Bellum said:
    I am in no way a "buff".  I just want to read an informative, well written professional review. If I wanted a fanboi rant I could just click on any of the millions of blogs or forums around.  Humor in a review is fine by me.  David Smith and Dave Z from the OLD IGN used to inject humor often, and David Smith was a sarcastic, sardonic biting bastard.  But he was a brilliant writer (check out his ICO review, which is considered by most to be the standard)."

You're being contrary. Humor is ok as long as you think it's funny, but otherwise it's unprofessional? Also, what is the difference between a podcast and a review in this case? Both are a legitimate business tactic, that is both are designed to generate traffic. Should a written opinion be held to a different standard than a spoken opinion? Why?"
    Fair points, here is the example

Humor is ok, as long as *someone* thinks it is funny.  Anyone find Greg Miller's writing funny?  "You're an idiot" is not funny.  It's a very base internet troll insult.  I know you agree w/ me on this.  I bet dollars to pennies tha Greg Miller, if he cared, would say he was not trying to be funny, he was stating his opinion in an over the top manner perhaps?  I suppose I blame the editor for not pushing back on him more.  

What is the diff between a podcast and review?   Just about everything.  A podcast is just applehead speak for a radio show w/ sub par equipment.  A review is a specific document written to speak to the merits of a game.
    Podcasts can be about anything, the word itself podcast only has meaning because of Apple's branding. 

If you don't think the written word should be held to a different standard than spoken, you are ignoring centuries of tradition and standards.    The written word has always been held to a much  higher standard than spoken word.  Although in this day and age of Twitter and Facebook, the written word has morphed into garbled short hand of trolls calling each other "tards"... so I suppose we've lost that war.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Humor is ok, as long as *someone* thinks it is funny.  Anyone find Greg Miller's writing funny?  "You're an idiot" is not funny.  It's a very base internet troll insult.  I know you agree w/ me on this.  I bet dollars to pennies tha Greg Miller, if he cared, would say he was not trying to be funny, he was stating his opinion in an over the top manner perhaps?  I suppose I blame the editor for not pushing back on him more. 

If he wasn't trying to be funny, you should probably not have mentioned humor. It confuses things, and now I'm not sure what you're trying to say. I don't think yelling out "fanboi" is a particularly coherent argument. Perhaps you don't like his bias? If you are going to expect him to take a journalistic approach, perhaps you should do the same for everyone else. The trend these days seems to be more about being hip gamers than anything approaching journalism, however. Which is it going to be?

If it's just that you don't agree with his opinion, this is a little pointless, don't you think?

Podcasts can be about anything, the word itself podcast only has meaning because of Apple's branding.

Yes a podcast can be about anything, and I can review a toaster oven. Generally, podcasts have specific goals and topics.

If you don't think the written word should be held to a different standard than spoken, you are ignoring centuries of tradition and standards.

No, the context is far more important than the medium. You can listen to the news on the radio or you can listen to a comedy show. The people in these podcast are game "journalists". The content of both the reviews and in the podcasts simply reflects the attitude both the journalists and the audience have.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.