Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rocksmith

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Oct 18, 2011

Rocksmith is a guitar-based music game designed around playing a real electric guitar.

E3 2011: Rocksmith Trailer

yurazizgraz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By yurazizgraz

yes!

TOA_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By TOA_Doom

So...rhythm games are still going huh?...

bobtastic715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By bobtastic715

I thought these died out with Rockband and Guitar Hero...oh well.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By 234r2we232

Finally. Original sub-titles.

chikin_n_rofls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By chikin_n_rofls

@sofacitysweetheart: lol

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Slaker117

This doesn't look like much of a game, and the positioning has been poor, but if it actually works it could be pretty cool.

Avatar image for deactivated-6610658acf7f5
    deactivated-6610658acf7f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's easy to hate on music games, but this looks like it's trying to do something previous games haven't tried: teach actual guitar skills. A noble goal.

Firethorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Firethorne

I never bought Rock Band or Guitar Hero, but I will be getting this.  I already own a decent guitar, and having a room full of plastic ones never appealed to me.

GiveUpNed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GiveUpNed

"I couldn't play guitar. Within 10 minutes of playing this game, I believed that I could play guitar." So basically you are just playing a glorifying air guitar and you know jack shit about playing the actualy instrument. Look at me MA no hands! BOWW-WOWW-EWWww-Di-Doo-Da-BWAAAAH *floorslide*

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rattle618

Now they are getting it, this is the kind of trailer that this game needed, of course nobody is going to learn to play guitar with this... but this trailer will make lots of people think they will.

lemonlateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By lemonlateralus

@Mercanis: Um...Rock Band 3?! That has an exceptional teaching system!

newblacknoise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By newblacknoise

HOLY SHIT, Dave Navarro needs to lay off the botox. 

As someone who can already play guitar, I like the idea but the main problem I see (besides its ability to accurately pick up the notes) is that you are still required to hit the notes EXACTLY when the game tells you to. Sounds obvious, but the real joy of playing is giving the music some room to breathe - a bit of push and pull, some flex - which is something I'm sure the game won't be able to provide. 

Still, I can imagine it'll be fun for those starting out.

Avatar image for fullmetalbelmont
    fullmetalbelmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By fullmetalbelmont

I'd just like to point out that Rock Band 3 already had the whole,"teach you how to play a real instrument" thing. This isn't new.

MolluskLingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MolluskLingers

Glad to see more snark from GiantBomb about this game even though it is innovative and is actually makign real strives to teach you a instrument instead of selling you a cheap guitar at a 200% profit with no real training tools.

TadThuggish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 41

#15  Edited By TadThuggish

@Methodis said:

Glad to see more snark from GiantBomb about this game even though it is innovative and is actually makign real strives to teach you a instrument instead of selling you a cheap guitar at a 200% profit with no real training tools.

haahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By xpgamer7

I can see this as being good, but I wonder if it can beat Rock Band 3's guitar teachings.

MolluskLingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MolluskLingers

Famed internet game journalist Hilary Goldstein already says its better than Rock Band 3.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By tourgen

Pretty excited for this but I want to see more of how it actually works and some real playtime with the thing. It would be a cool way to learn a bunch of songs anyway. Not like playing guitar is all that hard once you get past the initial hand flexibility and strength issues.

piderman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By piderman

@TadThuggish said:

@Methodis said:

haahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

What he means is, no it is not innovative and a direct ripoff of other rythm games but it would be nice to see how it works with a real guitar.

Lobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By Lobst

I'd like to preface this by saying Rocksmith looks interesting, the tutorial interface looks great, and I can't wait until reviews for it come out. I really want to play guitar, but Rock Band 3's tutorials/interface could use quite a bit of work, and I'm really glad to see something like this driving music games forward.

@Methodis said:

Famed internet game journalist Hilary Goldstein already says its better than Rock Band 3.

Three things:

• The only evidence of this I can find is a tweet Hilary Goldstein wrote, which is based purely on its functionality as a guitar-teaching tool
    • a tweet is not a preview, and a preview is not a review; we have no idea how much time Hilary spent with either game, for instance
    • even if it was a review, Hilary Goldstein is not an authority on anything -- not anything, not ever

Why do you have to insist on this vendetta against Harmonix with everything you write? I want to give you the benefit of the doubt. Please, seek professional help.

Parkingtigers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Parkingtigers
    @GiveUpNed said:

"I couldn't play guitar. Within 10 minutes of playing this game, I believed that I could play guitar." So basically you are just playing a glorifying air guitar and you know jack shit about playing the actualy instrument. Look at me MA no hands! BOWW-WOWW-EWWww-Di-Doo-Da-BWAAAAH *floorslide*

That's not what it is at all.  How can it be an air guitar when you are actually required to fret and pick the strings of a real guitar?  It looks as if the game simply allows you to start off by producing just some of the sounds of the song, while providing the rest, and gradually requires you to provide more and more of the notes as you get better. 

If it really does do that, then this will be a fantastic teaching aid.  I bought a real guitar instead of buying Rock Band a couple of years ago.  I can strum my way through songs, but picking out melodies ... well I keep putting that stuff off.  Having a teaching aid/game that encourages me and helps me to do it will be a good incentive. 

The whole question about Rocksmith will be "how well does it work?".  If it does what it says it does, then I'm totally picking this up.  Fingers crossed then.
    Ketchupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Ketchupp

Is this coming out on Kinect?

g6065

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By g6065

You have my attention.... 

Ulong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ulong

This is a gutar hero type game targeted at people who actually own and play guitars right?

That seems like a bad idea.

aspaceinvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By aspaceinvader
    @Methodis said:

If it teaches people the basic's of playing a guitar, it's a good idea and worth supporting. I can't see any harm in this game, it will encourage to people to learn.
    skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By skrutop
    Their marketing isn't great, but this game is right up my alley. I'll be paying attention to how it turns out. I like RB3's pro mode, but I don't feel like I'm really learning anything from it.
    cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cookiemonster

Keeping an eye on this one.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#28  Edited By GS_Dan
    @Methodis said:

Yeah. As much as I enjoy Goldstein's dry-as-sandpaper wit in podcasts, his RB3 review was bull. 
    This does look interesting though, they're actually putting some care into it. Much better than I expected.
    tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By tmthomsen

If this game really works as advertised, it needs more publicity.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By RVonE

I don't understand how this would work. If I can plug in my own guitar, how does the game know what I'm fretting? It's an analog instrument, is the game just a glorified guitar tuner?

PlyrYaKA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31  Edited By PlyrYaKA

@RVonE I mean if you just need a dongle to use any guitar why didn't Harmonix already do that. You're right, this seems like the devils work to me

brehonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By brehonia

@RVonEsaid:

I don't understand how this would work. If I can plug in my own guitar, how does the game know what I'm fretting? It's an analog instrument, is the game just a glorified guitar tuner?

Yeah, it looks like it will be trying to figure out what you're playing from the sound, which has the potential to be really awful and frustrating if the software isn't clever enough to compensate for all the little things that would affect it.

Harmonix gets around this with their pro guitars by, as you say, knowing what you're fretting (buttons on the plastic instruments and fretboard sensors on their custom Squier). The downside obviously being that you can't use your own guitar.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By RVonE

@brehonia said:

@RVonEsaid:

Yeah, it looks like it will be trying to figure out what you're playing from the sound, which has the potential to be really awful and frustrating if the software isn't clever enough to compensate for all the little things that would affect it.

Harmonix gets around this with their pro guitars by, as you say, knowing what you're fretting (buttons on the plastic instruments and fretboard sensors on their custom Squier). The downside obviously being that you can't use your own guitar.

Exactly. The thing with analog instruments is that they have the tendency to never entirely coincide with the exactness demanded by the digital. So what if the game requires me to play a certain sus chord and I play it with one of my fingers accidentally bending one of the strings ever so slightly--to me, the overall sound is still good, but a tuner would pick up that it was a tad off-key. What happens then?

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#34  Edited By MeatSim

This is a perfect time to start making a rhythm guitar game obviously.

riffingt0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By riffingt0n

If this actually works well, this is the game RB3 couldn't be for me. Heck, even without scoring, the auto-effects modelling for a song and in-game tab seems like it could be pretty neat.

Did RB3 even release their modified squier? I only knew that at launch it wasn't out yet.

gourangadan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By gourangadan
    @Lobst said:
    • The only evidence of this I can find is a tweet Hilary Goldstein wrote, which is based purely on its functionality as a guitar-teaching tool
    And it is a guitar-teaching tool, primarily. Nobody really cares about guitar rhythm games because they're all the same. Nobody wants to spend too much money on a crappy "real guitar" controller that doesn't perform well as a real guitar (Not to mention that you'd look like an ass if you try to perform with it).

The success of this game depends on it being marketed as a teaching tool, so if you're looking for people reviewing it as a game, you've come to the wrong place. That's about as backwards as looking for movie reviews of guitar tutorial videos on imdb. Really this game should be sold at music stores and not Best Buy because if this works it could become absolutely necessary to anyone looking to learn guitar.

@GiveUpNed said:

I don't get it... did you just call using a real guitar "playing a glorifying air guitar" [sic]? Because I guess, in a way, that makes sense.
    Lobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#37  Edited By Lobst

@gourangadan: Please don't turn my points into something they aren't. I am all for this game being successful; I want Rocksmith to review well, and I want it to sell well, so I can justify giving it a try (assuming it's at all compatible with my MIDI guitar). I was only pointing out the logic Methodis uses to fuel his obsessive vendetta against Harmonix, which has been well-documented on messageboards everywhere if you know where to look.

And besides, arguing against that post of mine is basically arguing that IGN should be the authoritative judge of whether a game is effective as a guitar-teaching tool. I'm pretty sure neither of us wants that.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By Branthog

The only reason to bother learning to play a guitar is to get laid, no matter how ugly you are. If everyone is going to learn to play one, then it renders it moot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.