Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ryu ga Gotoku Ishin!

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Feb 22, 2014

The second spin-off of the mainline Yakuza series set in a Feudal Japanese setting, centered 19th century samurai Ryoma Sakamoto.

A Dream Of Localization Is Dead...

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I figured I'd show all the fellow Yakuza fans on this site another nail in the coffin for the series in North America.

In an interview with Sega Japan, Gamingbolt.com asked several questions regarding the Yakuza spinoff. They eventually brought up localization, asking if there were plans, due to it's success in Japan as the #1 title on the PS4 (Did not know that!)

Sega replied with a simple answer, "There are currently no plans at this time."

Even with the talented team at AtlusUSA, Sega doesn't believe that localization is worth it.

Also, no plans for an Xbone release, but that is pretty obvious...

Fuck You, Yakuza Dead Souls

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

All we want in a localization is subtitles and the menus in english, everything else can stay japanese. I doubt that would cost that much. They could even release it digital only and cut costs even more.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

"There are currently no plans at this time" has been said about alot of games that get localized.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"There are currently no plans at this time" has been said about alot of games that get localized.

Stop being optimistic!!! There is no reason to live anymore! I'll never find out why the fuck Saejima fights a bear in Yakuza 5 and I'll never find out what the hell is going on in Yakuza Ishin!

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#5  Edited By LordAndrew

That's a very typical answer. It means they're not going to announce it in the interview.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played much of Yakuza but the last few games seemed to be much worse than the promise the series originally showed. To tell the truth I'm not too torn up about it. I remember Jeff played one of the Yakuza's at the PS4's launch and it looked pretty bad.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Fuck you, Yakuza: Dead Souls indeed. If only because of how much of a complete sack of shit that game is, let alone for how much it lessened the chances of ever seeing another Yakuza game over here again.

Though it's been long enough now that while I'd certainly be happy to hear Yakuza 5 & Inshin being brought over, at this point I'm... sorta compliant over it all.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Here's a few questions: if I were to get this game shipped to me

1. Could I being someone who speaks virtually no Japanese still play it and at least have a moderate idea what's going on?

2. Would it work on a US ps4?

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I wonder how many units they'd have to sell to make it worth their while to do basic localization. It can't be that much, can it? Seems like a dumb move on their part. Even if they don't make a killing on it in America, localizing these games is (at least) a show of good faith and will increase their mind share over here.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RonGalaxy

@gaminghooligan said:

Here's a few questions: if I were to get this game shipped to me

1. Could I being someone who speaks virtually no Japanese still play it and at least have a moderate idea what's going on?

2. Would it work on a US ps4?

Answers (sorry this got included in your quote. The text editor is being stupid)

1. Im guessing you could brute force your way through playing the game, but theres no chance in hell you'll be able to follow the story. Not knowing what items do will probably kill the experience

2. PS4's aren't region locked, but I think it's possible for games to flip a switch and become region locked. So it depends on the game. You'd need a Japanese psn account for dlc/online stuff.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I love all this yakuza and spin-off talk happening here is pretty awesome. Never know with operation rainfall happening maybe all this drumming by fans will get third party companies looking into bringing them over stateside if Sega fails to do so.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
    deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaminghooligan: These games are extremely dialogue heavy, so you probably wouldn't understanding anything beyond the broadest plot points. Even if you got all of those, the dialogue itself is kind of the point of the games, as well as the finer details of the plot. If you're really interested in the Yakuza games, 3 and 4 were localized for the PS3. Games 1 and 2 are on the PS2.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

they didn't even localized yakuza 5 :<

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I'm honestly fine with missing these Japanese history spin-offs, I just want the main series and we aren't even getting that anymore. Can't believe the last game we get is fucking Dead Souls...

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

@yi_orange said:

Stop being optimistic!!! There is no reason to live anymore! I'll never find out why the fuck Saejima fights a bear in Yakuza 5 and I'll never find out what the hell is going on in Yakuza Ishin!

He's right though. A lot of games get localized later on.

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've given up on SEGA as a console games publisher. When Atlus was bought, I thought there was some hope in getting the US arm to do the localisation for Yakuza 5 and Ishin. If anything this just gets me worried about Atlus' own games coming across the Pacific.

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
    SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@taku128 said:

I'm honestly fine with missing these Japanese history spin-offs, I just want the main series and we aren't even getting that anymore. Can't believe the last game we get is fucking Dead Souls...

Is Dead Souls even worth playing? I'm certainly a fan of the first four games but haven't picked up Dead Souls yet, I've been trying to hold onto the fact that I have one Yakuza game to play.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#19  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

@secondpersonshooter said:

@taku128 said:

Is Dead Souls even worth playing? I'm certainly a fan of the first four games but haven't picked up Dead Souls yet, I've been trying to hold onto the fact that I have one Yakuza game to play.

I slam it any time it comes up in conversation but overall I actually liked it. I think Patrick's comparison to a Halloween episode of your favorite TV show is a great comparison, it's a goofy fun zombie story featuring the Yakuza cast. Gameplay isn't bad but it's not good either, you just kind of slog through it to experience the story and side quests. If you consider yourself a big fan of the series I'd recommend it, but if you only enjoy them to a point or the combat is a big part of why you like Yakuza I'd say skip it. It's only $11 on Amazon, which is an extremely fair price.

http://www.amazon.com/Yakuza-Dead-Souls-Playstation-3/dp/B005TH6BD4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403734701&sr=8-1

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I found this great site. http://www.khhsubs.com/index.php

It has a translation of the cutscenes and some other stuff to help you if you import. Or you can just watch the cutscenes. Has some Yakuza 5 stuff too. Since we will never get a western release, this is as close as we'll get.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe someone in the west ought to invest in the tried and true Korean practice of releasing translation booklets. They do it a lot in Korea since so few games actually get translated into Korean. I've got a few lying around from ordering English-only games in Korea.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.