Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Save Point

Concept »

Special locations in game that allow the player to manually save their progress.

Are save points outdated?

zhinse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By zhinse

In practice so many games still use them, but at times don't you wish there was a save anytime feature in a lot of games? 

Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
    kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By kitsune_conundrum

not unless they're part of the gameplay

Shocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Shocker

I like when I can save whenever.

HitNRun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By HitNRun

It depends on the experience the developer is trying to deliver.

One thing I hated about PC gaming mags back when I read them was the "no save anywhere feature" as a downside that would actually affect a game's score, as though downmarking a game because it doesn't offer the exact same functions as other games you like helps me to make an informed decision about my purchase. Why don't you just put "No Nazis or Zombies" and "not enough like Counterstrike" while you're at it?

Sorry, that irked me. Yeah it gets annoying sometimes, but games are so easy now anyway. Will it really kill you to go back 25 seconds to a checkpoint if you die? RPG-type savepoints are a different story, but they're often used as part of the mood, sticking them in towns to make you feel as safe as the characters are supposed to, etc. They (and certain games that work on the same principle) could use a more open save feature though.

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By lord_canti

i think portable games should still use them but not big console titles and espeshaly  in rpgs

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Save points are and always have been a pain in the ass, especially in Metroid Prime 3.

azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By azteris
    HitNRun said:
    "It depends on the experience the developer is trying to deliver.

One thing I hated about PC gaming mags back when I read them was the "no save anywhere feature" as a downside that would actually affect a game's score, as though downmarking a game because it doesn't offer the exact same functions as other games you like helps me to make an informed decision about my purchase. Why don't you just put "No Nazis or Zombies" and "not enough like Counterstrike" while you're at it?

Sorry, that irked me. Yeah it gets annoying sometimes, but games are so easy now anyway. Will it really kill you to go back 25 seconds to a checkpoint if you die? RPG-type savepoints are a different story, but they're often used as part of the mood, sticking them in towns to make you feel as safe as the characters are supposed to, etc. They (and certain games that work on the same principle) could use a more open save feature though."
    If a game's save points are few and far between, meaning you have to replay large parts of the game because there isn't a 'save anywhere' feature, that should detract from the game's score.
    KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By KingBroly
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "Save points are and always have been a pain in the ass, especially in Metroid Prime 3."
    woah woah woah.  Save points in Metroid Prime 3 were fine because A) the game was easier than the previous 2 Metroid Prime games and B) even if you die against a boss, if you continue, you restart at that boss.  And if you die anywhere else before that, that's your problem, because the only points in MP3 where you should die has invisible checkpoints.  Also, when something is a part of the series and nothing has changed from that, it's almost always done correctly.

Whereas unlike Final Fantasy, which has changed from save outside to save anywhere to save at points, but quicksave here, and it deletes itself, the concept of saving has always changed, and results have led to great anger amongst players.
    zhinse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By zhinse

I think the save points are also good for pacing in a game.  Also, save points force you to play more carefully, since you loose everything you gained after saving.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Systech

I think save points are outdated, but checkpoints and auto-save points will be here for a while. I was angry with the save points in the Paper Mario games because it's the kind of RPG that you'd want the ability to whip out your menu and save exactly where you were.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.