Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

Beat up a lot of people to win the heart of your girlfriend in this retro-themed 2D side-scrolling beat-em-up based on the Scott Pilgrim series of graphic novels.

Anyone unfamiliar with the canon buying this game?

Bluethunder35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Bluethunder35

I saw Jeff and Brad playing it and I liked what I saw. River City Ransom is a favorite of mine and playing a clone of it interests me. However, I have never heard of Scott Pilgrim and his comic book series. Is there anyone who has bought or is planning to buy the game despite knowing nothing about the Scott Pilgrim canon? 

At least it's only $10. That makes it a little easier to gamble on.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

Yea, I bought it knowing virtually nothing about the story.  Last night I read the comics.

readymix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By readymix

i've never even played RCR but i'll probably check it out.  
    i love the 8/16 bit look and need something to get me away from sc2.
    but i feel obligated to actually see the film before playing the game.

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By BunkerBuster

I assumed the point was to save the princess at the end of the game from some sort of giant lizard creature. 
    All I know is that if I punch dudes I get Trophies and then punch harder using money to beat the game.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By King9999

I've heard of Scott Pilgrim, but I've never read it.  I'm getting the game because it's basically the RCR sequel that we never got.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Andorski

Me.  I plan on reading the Scott Pilgrim comic series eventually, but I'll probably end up playing the game first.  I don't have any nostalgia for RCR, but I can use a good beat'm up game.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

I know only a little about the Scott Pilgrim story, or in other words, only what I got from TV Tropes.  As far as I've read Scott and Ramona are both terribly unlikeable characters (To me!), but the game looks pretty awesome.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Blackout62
    @Make_Me_Mad said:
    " I know only a little about the Scott Pilgrim story, or in other words, only what I got from TV Tropes.  As far as I've read Scott and Ramona are both terribly unlikeable characters (To me!), but the game looks pretty awesome. "
    Oh popularly unlikable but it's the charming secondary characters you stay for.
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

If you're familiar with the graphic novels, you'll definitely get a lot more out of this game than someone who is entirely unfamiliar with them. However, this game is still a solid 2-D beat 'em up that I think can be enjoyed without the frame of reference provided by reading the graphic novel series.

Avatar image for thelawnwrangler
    TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By TheLawnWrangler

me, i only know the premise but i was interested in the movie and game. both are great. i'll buy the books now :P

Nemesis274

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Nemesis274

I was aware of the basic premise, but I needed to borrow the books to get in to what is so great about Scott Pilgrim. And by God, they were awesome. Afterward, I bought the game and it feels even more amusing as to how well the game stays true to the source material. 

Since the movie is not yet out in my shores, chances are I might see it in a month or two. Or perhaps buy the movie on Blu-Ray or DVD

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12  Edited By CenturionCajun

I have never read the comic books although after seeing the excellent movie I think I might have to. I'm very much looking forward to Scott Pilgrim coming out on the 360 as I very much enjoy the 16 bit look and old school game style. I'll agree that Scott Pilgrim is aggressively unlikable and Ramona is...bland but the casual way everyone goes along with the absurdity is what makes it so enjoyable.

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By EightBitShik

I knew nothing about it prior to the movie. I still don't know if it's a story that is continuous or not. If someone would like to nerd me out with some info on it go for it.

Stealthcake92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Stealthcake92

Had never even heard of Scott Pilgrim before the film trailers!

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By BBQBram

Saw the movie trailer, thought it was awesome, saw the game, even more-so, played it, beat it, loved it, bought all the comics, currently reading (and loving) them.

It just perfectly caters to my appreciation of both video game nostalgia and the indie-rock scene.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.