Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

Beat up a lot of people to win the heart of your girlfriend in this retro-themed 2D side-scrolling beat-em-up based on the Scott Pilgrim series of graphic novels.

Oh, the laughs this game has given me.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#1  Edited By Hailinel

I beat Scott Pilgrim vs. The World tonight in single-player for the first time tonight with Scott.  The last level is absolutely mad in the best way possible.  I also dug the references to the numerous old beat'em ups peppered throughout the game.  The River City Ransom references gave me a good chuckle, but this game is filled with a lot of riffs and references to old beat'em ups that I doubt most people would recognize unless they have memories of actually playing the games themselves.  There are little nods all over the place from Golden Axe to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and none of them ever feel overplayed or heavy-handed.  Jeff didn't seem to be a big fan of these in-jokes during the Quick Look, but I feel that the team behind this game definitely knows how to present an homage without it turning into a blatant rip-off.

Seriously, I never would have thought that one of my favorite games of the year would have been a movie tie-in game, much less a downloadable movie tie-in.

MushroomSamba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By MushroomSamba

Yeah, I'm really diggin' all the in-game references as well (my favorite being its [spoiler] Mega Man 2 ending). For the most part, the homages aren't so much about simple name-dropping as they are alluding to the games with their own unique slant, and I think that's why it totally works for me. I also appreciate that they remembered they're making a game first and foremost, and didn't let issues of trying to stay absolutely loyal to the source material get in the way. In the end, it really does feel like the team created their own entity as opposed to just another game adaptation of a comicbook/movie. 

It'd be a fun idea if the GB community banded together to create a big ol' guide of homages for the game. It'd be great just to see how broad their scope really was, and to also point out all the little nuggets we missed out on during our own playthroughs.

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By unsolvedparadox

The game is pretty great, I laughed at the Technodrome-esque part of the game. I've already replayed many of the levels (poor Matthew Patel gets killed in 4 punches now), and it's still wicked entertaining.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.