Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Scratch: The Ultimate DJ

Game » consists of 1 releases.

Presumably cancelled, Scratch: The Ultimate DJ was a game played using a turntable controller, the "Scratch Deck," designed by Numark, which promised to "allow players to re-imagine songs on the fly and add their own creativity."

DJ Battle Erupts As Scratch Publisher Sues Scratch Developer... And Activision

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
    So at what point does Konami step in and sue everyone all over again for biting Beatmania?
    So at what point does Konami step in and sue everyone all over again for biting Beatmania?
    Here's a bit of wild news out of "Scratch DJ Game LLC," the joint venture formed to publish Scratch: The Ultimate DJ, a rhythm-themed game that has been under development at 7 Studios. The company is suing its developer and Activision, claiming that Activision first tried to buy the rights to Scratch, and when that offer was rejected, the mega-publisher went and bought 7 Studios instead. Further allegations claim that 7 Studios started dragging its feet on the Scratch project after this, withholding software and hardware from its publisher.

That's pretty intense right there. But my favorite part of filings like these is when they try to get qualitative about the products in question. Like so:
    “We believe that Activision realizes the tremendous opportunity that our game, Scratch, represents to the video game industry, the retail marketplace and the consumer. After demonstrating our game, pursuant to the confidentiality agreement with Activision, we believe Activision concluded that Scratch: the Ultimate DJ is a superior offering to their prospective game, DJ Hero,” stated Mr. Trevor Drinkwater, President and CEO of Genius Products, Inc.
    There's something really weird about saying "legally speaking, we think that they think that our game is better."

The rest of the press release about the lawsuit sort of reads like, well, a press release, covering the Scratch Deck hardware and the presence of artists such as Kanye West, Lil' Wayne, and Black Eyed Peas.

Ben Fritz over at Variety checked in with a source at 7 Studios, who confirmed that the company has been acquired by Activision, and that work on Scratch is still being done.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff
    Here's a bit of wild news out of "Scratch DJ Game LLC," the joint venture formed to publish Scratch: The Ultimate DJ, a rhythm-themed game that has been under development at 7 Studios. The company is suing its developer and Activision, claiming that Activision first tried to buy the rights to Scratch, and when that offer was rejected, the mega-publisher went and bought 7 Studios instead. Further allegations claim that 7 Studios started dragging its feet on the Scratch project after this, withholding software and hardware from its publisher.

That's pretty intense right there. But my favorite part of filings like these is when they try to get qualitative about the products in question. Like so:
    “We believe that Activision realizes the tremendous opportunity that our game, Scratch, represents to the video game industry, the retail marketplace and the consumer. After demonstrating our game, pursuant to the confidentiality agreement with Activision, we believe Activision concluded that Scratch: the Ultimate DJ is a superior offering to their prospective game, DJ Hero,” stated Mr. Trevor Drinkwater, President and CEO of Genius Products, Inc.
    There's something really weird about saying "legally speaking, we think that they think that our game is better."

The rest of the press release about the lawsuit sort of reads like, well, a press release, covering the Scratch Deck hardware and the presence of artists such as Kanye West, Lil' Wayne, and Black Eyed Peas.

Ben Fritz over at Variety checked in with a source at 7 Studios, who confirmed that the company has been acquired by Activision, and that work on Scratch is still being done.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By iamjohn

It wouldn't surprise me to find out it's true.

Also LOL FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAY GUYZ AMI DOING IT RITE?
    Yzzerdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Yzzerdd

First comments should be bannable.

Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Crono11

Why am I not surprised that Activision may have done something like this. I think that the only reason Activision did this is because Scratch is  a much better name then what there game is called, seriously DJ Hero? Come on!

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Scooper

I don't see why people want the rights or whatever to a DJ game.. I can't see it selling that much at all.

stephengotlost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By stephengotlost

DJ LARRY!!!!!!

mattysen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By mattysen

Lil W-anye!? LIL MOTHER FUCKING WANYE....................Arh count me out

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By iamjohn

I agree, Yzzerdd, hence why I edited my post to lampoon the idiotic tradition after the fact, perhaps you noticed?

But enough about me, let's talk about how unsurprising it is that Activision probably bought this non-noteworthy development house to get rid of some potential competition in a field they're not guaranteed to have any success in.  Here's a quote from 7 Studios' website that I found funny:

7 Studios said:
    "7 Studios is one of the most experienced independent game development studios in the world."
    Not anymore, you're not!
    Avatar image for deactivated-5865c6a5c9438
    deactivated-5865c6a5c9438

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude... I'm in no way interested in ANY DJ game.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LiquidPrince

Eh... Scratch... Does it teach you to actually DJ...?

Adanux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Adanux

What exactly are they suing for?  They're probably right about Activision buying the 7 Studios to stop them from releasing a competing DJ product, but I'm confused as to how this fact entitles the previous publisher to any money.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By iamjohn
    Adanux said:
    "What exactly are they suing for?  They're probably right about Activision buying the 7 Studios to stop them from releasing a competing DJ product, but I'm confused as to how this fact entitles the previous publisher to any money."
    Because their argument is that Activision is intentionally sabotaging their ability to release this game to dissuade a competing product, which would mean that millions of dollars of resources will have been wasted on a product they can no longer release or not release with the same guarantee of quality.  This can get into a whole lot of issues, not the least of which being antitrust.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By JoelTGM

Activision is getting too fat.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By zityz

Great Now how am I supposed to get my Jam-Master Jay on?

Jtan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jtan21

Trevor Drinkwater is a great name. And how can you possibly say that they believed your game was better than theirs. Maybe their gripe is legit, but they are going way out on a limb with that statement.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By iamjohn
    Jtan21 said:
    "And how can you possibly say that they believed your game was better than theirs."
    The implication that Activision sabotaged the game because it would have been better than their own product could potentially make the Plaintiff's case more sympathetic, not to mention that it sways opinion against Activision for not only denying the consumer the right to choose another product, but the right to choose a better product; it's an especially beneficial argument to make in case Activision tries to argue that the purchase of 7 Studios had been in the works for a while and that it coincided with the development of a competitor's game is merely coincidental.  It happens in civil suits all the time.
    caseylakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By caseylakes

I can see it being quite fun tbh.

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AURON570

silly american developers

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By AndrewB

Did they? Did they really buy them to eliminate the competition? Or was it that they wanted to create, with Blizzard's help, a Warcraft DJ RTS/rythm game monster hybrid?

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TwoOneFive

they should just rename this HIP-HOP HERO

Roddykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Roddykat

First off, BAT-TLE CRYYYYY!! Given the artists mentioned, If they won, there should be a stipulation that there be proper artists (& controls) put into the game and not those BS ones mentioned. "Needs to get their Act(ogether)vision", or more importantly, SOMEBODY comes correct with a game with proper artists..

It's also a damned shame that instead of trying to make a game that would be good even under competition, a company would have to buy them(or the license to make them) out and kill them. I'm looking at YOU, EA!

Damn shame.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Nasar7

@iAMJohn

nice to see another legal-minded person here. Yes, the antitrust angle is a fairly obvious one, and seems to be the direction 7 Studios is trying to take. Still, as work on Scratch is still reportedly underway, their position is a bit weak...they should probably be happy to have been bought out, but maybe the deal wasn't that favorable so they're hoping for a settlement? Pure speculation, of course, but time will tell.
    Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#23  Edited By MachoFantastico

A DJ game sounds rather dull to me, I think most DJ's are fools anyway and I don't want to really be a virtual one. 

Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Keyser_Soze

Check out the hook, as the DJ revolves it.

CoIin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CoIin

If this is successful capitalism as we know it is over. 

I wonder if 7 Studios has a version of "It's a Hard Knock Life" remix in their game? They should turn it up to 11, grab some 40s and have a good cry. THEN GET BACK TO MAKING YOUR FUCKING GAME FOR YOUR NEW BOSSES!
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By penguindust

If Konami wants to sue everyone involved with this project or other turn-table related offerings, they better do it now before these games hit the market.  Otherwise, they'll be left behind like they were with Guitar Hero/Rock Band. 

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Cameron

I like how 7 Studios thinks their game is better despite having never made a good game before. Not that the DJ Hero developer is any better, but still I have to imagine that with the 'Hero' name riding on the project, Activision would fund the project heavily and put its weight behind securing music deals. This leads me to believe that DJ Hero is likely superior to anything 7 Studios is making, at least in terms of production and song selection.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Doesn't surprise me. There seems to be a pattern emerging of Rhythm game lawsuits at the moment.

Avatar image for some_hard_surface_artist
    some_hard_surface_artist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KONAMI WILL SU-

Wait a sec...

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#30  Edited By MeatSim

Looks like some lawyers are about get some serious money.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Media_Master

o boy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.