Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Scribblenauts

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 15, 2009

Developed by 5th Cell Media, Scribblenauts is a puzzle-action game for the Nintendo DS in which players can spawn thousands of objects from a vast database to aid in solving puzzles and overcoming obstacles... or just dicking around in silly and hilarious ways. The choice is yours!

The Most Overlooked Game of E3

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

Edited By Lies
    Scribblenauts.

Scribblenauts is a simple puzzle/platformer, but with one vital twist. You can write almost any object you can think of, and that object will appear in the game world to help you platform or puzzle solve. A simple concept that is genius in it's execution and application.

You may be thinking: "How accurate can the dictionary be? It surely won't know a lot of words and the game will be limited". By all accounts the dictionary is quite deep, only a few accounts have come out of E3 of people being able to stump the game, and the devs have been taking notes and promising to put these words in the game. Zombies, time machines, glue, dinosaurs, and even a good chunk of internet memes are in this game (longcat and keyboard cat will both make appearances along with a host of others). Still not convinced? I'll let this video do the talking.

That's some of Scribblenauts in action. Still unconvinced? Feep from neoGAF played it and had this to say:
    I had played all the big titles at E3. Private showings of God of War III, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake. But at 4:00 on Thursday, I was wondering around the show floor, wondering what else I had to see. I saw a small little booth for "Scribblenauts!" in the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment section. I mean, who goes to that booth? But I remember hearing about it on GAF, and so I decided to check it out.

Best game of E3? Without a fucking doubt. Anyone who says otherwise did not play Scribblenauts. Best game of all time? Jesus Christ, I don't know, maybe. It's a game that challenges your IMAGINATION. No other game has ever done that.

So listen to this story. I was in the early levels; I didn't quite have an idea of how ridiculously in-depth the database was. I was summoning things like ladders, glasses of water, rayguns, what have you. But I reached a level with zombie robots, and the zombie robots kept killing me. Rayguns didn't work, a torch didn't work, a pickaxe didn't work. In my frustration, I wrote in "Time Machine". And one popped up. What the fuck? A smile dawned on my face. I hopped in, and the option was given to me to either travel to the past or the future. I chose past. When I hopped out, there were fucking dinosaurs walking around. I clicked one, and realized I could RIDE THEM. So I hopped on a fucking DINOSAUR, traveled back to the present, and stomped the shit out of robot zombies. Did you just read that sentence? Did you really? I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES. This game is unbelievable. Impossible. There's nothing you can't do.

Holy fucking shit.
    This is one to keep an eye on folks.
    Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Lies
    Scribblenauts.

Scribblenauts is a simple puzzle/platformer, but with one vital twist. You can write almost any object you can think of, and that object will appear in the game world to help you platform or puzzle solve. A simple concept that is genius in it's execution and application.

You may be thinking: "How accurate can the dictionary be? It surely won't know a lot of words and the game will be limited". By all accounts the dictionary is quite deep, only a few accounts have come out of E3 of people being able to stump the game, and the devs have been taking notes and promising to put these words in the game. Zombies, time machines, glue, dinosaurs, and even a good chunk of internet memes are in this game (longcat and keyboard cat will both make appearances along with a host of others). Still not convinced? I'll let this video do the talking.

That's some of Scribblenauts in action. Still unconvinced? Feep from neoGAF played it and had this to say:
    I had played all the big titles at E3. Private showings of God of War III, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake. But at 4:00 on Thursday, I was wondering around the show floor, wondering what else I had to see. I saw a small little booth for "Scribblenauts!" in the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment section. I mean, who goes to that booth? But I remember hearing about it on GAF, and so I decided to check it out.

Best game of E3? Without a fucking doubt. Anyone who says otherwise did not play Scribblenauts. Best game of all time? Jesus Christ, I don't know, maybe. It's a game that challenges your IMAGINATION. No other game has ever done that.

So listen to this story. I was in the early levels; I didn't quite have an idea of how ridiculously in-depth the database was. I was summoning things like ladders, glasses of water, rayguns, what have you. But I reached a level with zombie robots, and the zombie robots kept killing me. Rayguns didn't work, a torch didn't work, a pickaxe didn't work. In my frustration, I wrote in "Time Machine". And one popped up. What the fuck? A smile dawned on my face. I hopped in, and the option was given to me to either travel to the past or the future. I chose past. When I hopped out, there were fucking dinosaurs walking around. I clicked one, and realized I could RIDE THEM. So I hopped on a fucking DINOSAUR, traveled back to the present, and stomped the shit out of robot zombies. Did you just read that sentence? Did you really? I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES. This game is unbelievable. Impossible. There's nothing you can't do.

Holy fucking shit.
    This is one to keep an eye on folks.
    Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Seedofpower

haha, death killed god.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By StarFoxA
    ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By ThomasP

I could not agree more. I'm very excited to get my hands on this game. Such a great concept... your imagination. Imagine writing the game guide. =)

Wright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Wright

yeah that looks awesome. The gamespot dudes talked about it a bit on the hotspot and it sounded really cool.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Diamond

I don't think it's the most overlooked but it's more ignored than it should be.  Probably the upcoming handheld game I'm most interested in trying.

zagzagovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By zagzagovich

Wasn't there a game just like this? Drawn to Life or something.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Oni

No, the most overlooked game of E3 is totally Demon's Souls, which is totally fucking rad if you like action RPGs that actually require skill.

hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By hexogen
    @ZagZagovich said:
    " Wasn't there a game just like this? Drawn to Life or something. "
    They're both made by the same developer, I think.
    TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheFreeMan

I laughed out loud at Einstein running away from God. This game looks awesome.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Jesus Christ... This is unbelievable.

Avatar image for lonelyspacepanda
    LonelySpacePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By LonelySpacePanda

Check out a thread I started to see what I and other Giant Bomb users think are the most overlooked games (or "dark horses) of E3.

The Co-Op (Rev3 show) footage made it look great.  Still, I can't help but notice that everything acts alike.  Perhaps, people are giving these guys a bit too much credit.  This seems like one of those games that looks amazing at E3, but not so much when released.  Seems like the novelty factor would fade quick and then you're left with what?  Hopefully a good game...we'll see.

zagzagovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By zagzagovich
    @Hexogen said:
    "
    @ZagZagovich said:
    They're both made by the same developer, I think. "

I'm not sure about this because DTL is getting a sequel on DS and Wii.
    P.S.
    Quoting is kind of broken.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#14  Edited By AgentJ

You can also see more about this amazing game here

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#15  Edited By AgentJ
    @ZagZagovich said:
    "
    @Hexogen said:
    "
    @ZagZagovich said:
    They're both made by the same developer, I think. "

I'm not sure about this because DTL is getting a sequel on DS and Wii.P.S.Quoting is kind of broken. "
    Quoting seems fine.

Drawn to life was much more simplistic. all you were really able to do was draw your own character and platforms. at least, thats what was in the demo. Sribblenauts is fucking amazing. 
    Puppy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Puppy

I am interested to see how the tech behind this works. It sounds like a great concept.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I also read this Neogaf post. Heavy scepticism.

Does this really imply that the game has limitless possibilities (impossible, literally), or that we, gamers, as a subculture are too predictable, and the common trains of thought have been fleshed out accordingly.

Just look at the giantbomb text adventure. ">> Use Testicles On Door" was only funny the first seventeen times...

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By Red

Yeah, these weird quirky games like Half-Minute Hero and Scribblenauts really need more attention. The game looks incredible.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By jakob187
    @Sweep said:
    " I also read this Neogaf post. Heavy scepticism.

Does this really imply that the game has limitless possibilities (impossible, literally), or that we, gamers, as a subculture are too predictable, and the common trains of thought have been fleshed out accordingly.

Just look at the giantbomb text adventure. ">> Use Testicles On Door" was only funny the first seventeen times... "
    >>Use Testicles on Sweep
    banksrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By banksrob

Agreed, looks great

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Coltonio7

Lies, you can't be more right. When i bring up Scribblenauts no one knows what the hell it is! This is probably a day 1 purchase, and a reason to blow the dust off my DS!

Too bad it's from Warner...

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By Snail

Holy shit, this is awesome.

finalkross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By finalkross

I have to disagree about the lack of coverage. This game is getting a lot of deserved hype. I got to play it at E3 and am currently writing a preview for it on for the site I write for. The Scribblenauts love is strong and is not going to die.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.