Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Scribblenauts

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 15, 2009

Developed by 5th Cell Media, Scribblenauts is a puzzle-action game for the Nintendo DS in which players can spawn thousands of objects from a vast database to aid in solving puzzles and overcoming obstacles... or just dicking around in silly and hilarious ways. The choice is yours!

Well I learned that the pirates have received Scribblenauts.

mikecardii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By mikecardii

It sucks when things like this happen because now whenever I go to seedier forums, I'll hear stories of people's Scribblenauts adventures for the next 4 days until the 15th.

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By lethalki11ler

really sucks! People that made the game spent such a long time working on it and seeing it go away like that must be a pain... well we nearly there for the full release!

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By AgentJ

Haven't you been hearing tons of stories already? People have been talking about the show floor demos for weeks now. Hell, i went and rickrolled god last week at PAX

mikecardii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mikecardii
    @AgentJ said:
    " Haven't you been hearing tons of stories already? People have been talking about the show floor demos for weeks now. Hell, i went and rickrolled god last week at PAX "

Well yeah but now people have unlimited access and unlimited time to spoil everything lol.
    BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

Fucking Somalis.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AgentJ

It's unfortunate. This may end up being one of the more pirated DS games in the history of the console, just because of all the hype it has gotten

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By NickM
    @AgentJ said:
    " It's unfortunate. This may end up being one of the more pirated DS games in the history of the console, just because of all the hype it has gotten "
    Nah, some Mario game is probably the most pirated one.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Meowayne

NickM: Actually, Chinatown Wars is the most pirated DS game.

Edit: Nevermind. The game really has been leaked.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Meowayne

Appearently, Scribblenauts is only 10mb in size. ._.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Linkyshinks

This game should have come onto DSiWare and been spared by these cheap ass pirating cunts. The sequel may well do if it suffers GTA level piracy.

DO THE RIGHT THING, BUY THE GAME.

Valames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Valames
    @Linkyshinks: Doing it, rooster hat and all.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AgentJ
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " This game should have come onto DSiWare and been spared by these cheap ass pirating cunts. The sequel may well do if it suffers GTA level piracy.

DO THE RIGHT THING, BUY THE GAME. "
    Scribblenauts 2 better have Colbert. We won't be seeing any such game for a while though, since 5th cell has said they are going to be working on consoles for the forseeable future. Then again, i suppose nothing is ruling out a Scribblenauts WII version. 
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By eroticfishcake

It's out (well leaked) already?!

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pazy
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " This game should have come onto DSiWare and been spared by these cheap ass pirating cunts."
    While it would probably stop the pirates (for a while anyways) do you think there is enough DSi's alone to warrent it? Im thinking the amount of DS's total (fat, slim and DSi) outweights that potential market including the pirate portion of it.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Pazy said:

" @Linkyshinks said:

" This game should have come onto DSiWare and been spared by these cheap ass pirating cunts."
    While it would probably stop the pirates (for a while anyways) do you think there is enough DSi's alone to warrent it? Im thinking the amount of DS's total (fat, slim and DSi) outweights that potential market including the pirate portion of it. "

Certainly not, but if this was earmarked as a DSiWare game from the start it would have prompted even greater numbers to pick up a DSi, than already. DSiWare would have made more money for 5th Cell over a wider time frame if this game ends up facing GTA level piracy, which I strongly suspect it will do now...

I've got not respect for at all DS users that pirate such games and have no wish to buy a physical copy also. 

@AgentJ said:

" @Linkyshinks said:

" This game should have come onto DSiWare and been spared by these cheap ass pirating cunts. The sequel may well do if it suffers GTA level piracy.

Scribblenauts 2 better have Colbert. We won't be seeing any such game for a while though, since 5th cell has said they are going to be working on consoles for the forseeable future. Then again, i suppose nothing is ruling out a Scribblenauts WII version.  "

I remember posting about that

The developers behind DS puzzle/action game Scribblenauts have spoken on plans to step into home console software. In an interview with Destructoid, 5TH Cell's Jeremiah Slaczka explains why his team decided to work on the DS, and speaks a little about their plans are for the future:

We're pretty much in awe of what happened at E3. For some amazing reason people have just latched on to our title and just want to share it with everyone else, it's really incredible I've never seen anything like it. We've been doing DS games for awhile because the tech makes sense, our team knows the DS well, and from a business side it's done well for us, but 5TH Cell will be moving into our first console titles next year and beyond, still making original games you can't get from anyone else.

- Jeremiah Slaczka  

Thanks to Destructoid.

I would want a WiiWare game, especially after this.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Meowayne said:

" Appearently, Scribblenauts is only 10mb in size. ._. "

And KORG DS-10 was less than 500k, zipped. I remember back when the philosophy was larger filesize meant something was probably better than a similar one of smaller size.

I miss my DS, but not enough to buy another one right now. I'm sure I'll be able to find this game for cheap next year.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By PureRok
    @Meowayne said:
    " Appearently, Scribblenauts is only 10mb in size. ._. "
    It's 32 MB, like lots of other DS games. It's just been heavily compressed in the .rar file you looked at.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Meowayne
    "I would want a WiiWare game, especially after this."

Keep an eye out for "Max and the Magic Marker" then. Not quite the same, but similar.

" I remember back when the philosophy was larger filesize meant something was probably better than a similar one of smaller size.
     It's 32 MB, like lots of other DS games. It's just been heavily compressed in the .rar file you looked at.  "

First, I was not complaining about the file size, I am just confused by it, as this game is supposed to host millions of animated sprites, some with sounds. Even if they are vector-based, the file size confuses me. 
    Second, no, the game is about 8mb in size, uncompressed. DS cards only come in certain sizes, that's why many games, even if smaller, are put on 16meg and 32meg cards, but a lot of that is unfilled space.
    Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Marzy

There might be people who can't afford games, isn't unfair that some might miss out to such fantastic games? I feel DS piracy can be good for that reason. It also allows you to try before you buy. Sometimes, I'll buy a game and regret it, because I didn't end up liking.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Fallen189
    @Linkyshinks said:

Narrowminded.

Segregation of the market would cut profits. Nobody would buy a DSi for this, and they'd lose money. Plus, the DS gives out no demos, so we're only to go on word of mouth that it's good.

In the UK, DS games are 40/50 of your american dollars. With no demos, and a high price, piracy is naturally gonna be rampant.

Furthermore, not all of us live in the USA. Things don't make it to the UK for a VERY long time usually. I'm pretty sure there's an Australian DS player on this site that can attest to that aswell.
    Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Lashe
    @Fallen189 said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:

Narrowminded.  Segregation of the market would cut profits. Nobody would buy a DSi for this, and they'd lose money. Plus, the DS gives out no demos, so we're only to go on word of mouth that it's good.  In the UK, DS games are 40/50 of your american dollars. With no demos, and a high price, piracy is naturally gonna be rampant.  Furthermore, not all of us live in the USA. Things don't make it to the UK for a VERY long time usually. I'm pretty sure there's an Australian DS player on this site that can attest to that aswell. "
    Linkyshinks is UK based, so your post is pretty baseless and judgemental. Well done =]

Buy the game.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Fallen189
    @Lashe said:
    " @Fallen189 said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:

Narrowminded.  Segregation of the market would cut profits. Nobody would buy a DSi for this, and they'd lose money. Plus, the DS gives out no demos, so we're only to go on word of mouth that it's good.  In the UK, DS games are 40/50 of your american dollars. With no demos, and a high price, piracy is naturally gonna be rampant.  Furthermore, not all of us live in the USA. Things don't make it to the UK for a VERY long time usually. I'm pretty sure there's an Australian DS player on this site that can attest to that aswell. "
    Linkyshinks is UK based, so your post is pretty baseless and judgemental. Well done =] Buy the game. "
    So because of that, none of the points raised apply?

I'm not defending piracy, but it's gonna happen, always. I just used the assumption he was one of the 90% of American users. What I said is still right.

So he's UK based. He knows how annoying it's going to be having to wait for over a month while you guys all get to play it and spoil it.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By oldschool

I am not about to defend piracy of games.  I don't do it.  However Fallen does raise valid points.  Importing games saves me as much as $30 (~40% off) a DS game, but we are lucky as we have liberal import laws, in respect to tax.  If it is under $1000 (from memory, don't quote me), there is no additional charge.  Plus yes, there can be some significant waits (like Harvest Moon which can be up to 2 years).  However, as there is no region coding, then importing shouldn't pose a major problem (assuming tax issues are not that problem). 

It is also a valid point on the lack of demos.  With the advent of the Wii online and DSi, there is no good reason that most games shouldn't have some form of demo available to try.  For those with limited funds (most of us really), then we want to be a little confidant that we are spending it correctly.  I am sure that piracy to try a game could be well intentioned, but due to the entire game being available, most wouldn't bother to get the game legally.  Making demos more freely available would remove one of the major arguments pirates have. 

I have to disagree with my friend Linkyshinks about DSiWare though.  I much prefer a full retail game.  DSiWare should complement retail games and be for small budget, experimental ones.  I would never want a game like Scribblenauts as a DSiWare game.  Too much would have to go for the smaller size and that wouldn't be a good thing.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Lashe
    @Fallen189: Piracy is going to happen, for sure, but what you're describing with 'word of mouth' being the only ability to determine of the product is any good is a system which has been in place for every Nintendo handheld since conception - no cart-based console I can recall has had any demo support.

The timeline between regions is a fraction of what it used to be, plus nobody is going to make you find out the spoilers about the game -- why not just use a little willpower and not click on any info about it, pre-order it and do something with the next month. Or if you really can't wait, import it from any one of a host of good import sites. 

There are ways round the system and piracy is simply the easiest -- that's no excuse for condoning it.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Fallen189

I can now say this friends.

I downloaded it, and tested it out.

I played about 3/4 levels, then turned my DS off again.

I can definetely wait for this game, and I will definetely pay money for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Yep piracy is going to happen no matter what, and I really do feel bad for the company but it shouldn't impact them much, many games get pirated and still sell a shit load, look at The Sims.

ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By ToxicAntidote

YAR!  

Sharing is caring
    Sharing is caring
    But rest assure, I'll buy it when it's released in Europe October 9. Until then I'm totally pirating it.
    Urmean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By Urmean

I'm playing it right now.
    Just to let you all know, it's tremendous fun.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PureRok
    @Meowayne said:
    " "I would want a WiiWare game, especially after this."

Keep an eye out for "Max and the Magic Marker" then. Not quite the same, but similar.

" I remember back when the philosophy was larger filesize meant something was probably better than a similar one of smaller size.
     It's 32 MB, like lots of other DS games. It's just been heavily compressed in the .rar file you looked at.  "
     First, I was not complaining about the file size, I am just confused by it, as this game is supposed to host millions of animated sprites, some with sounds. Even if they are vector-based, the file size confuses me.  Second, no, the game is about 8mb in size, uncompressed. DS cards only come in certain sizes, that's why many games, even if smaller, are put on 16meg and 32meg cards, but a lot of that is unfilled space. "
    I don't know what you're talking about. I have the ROM dump right here on my computer and it's 32MB exactly, not 8.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Meowayne

Yes, Rok. ROM dumps are always 16, 32, 64, 128 or 256 MB in size. That doesn't mean it's all used space. ASH is on a 256 MB card, but doesn't use about 100MB of that.

The game is reasonably broken, btw. Wonky, unpredictable physics and controls that rival the quality of Big Rigs make most ideas you have a chore to set up, even if the library has all the items.

Kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By Kill

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the whole Giant Bomb community..

Yes, it has leaked. I've been playing it all day. I'm actually quite let down, about 80% of my ideas just don't register, leading to a lot of tedious restarting.  Great concept though, and the first time I typed in "Cthulhu", I was overjoyed to see the Old God himself appear.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By apathylad

From what I read on gamefaq boards, apparently some stores started selling them early. I never got around to preordering the game and getting the rooster hat since I've been busy this week, but now I'm afraid it's too late and I won't qualify. :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.