Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sega Master System

Platform »

The 8-bit Master System, while not embraced by a large audience in the US and Japan, was a major success in Europe and South America, and it remains an important and entertaining console that laid the foundation for generations of future console releases from Sega.

I not a fanboy of anything but...

Avatar image for thehappiestpanda
    TheHappiestPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheHappiestPanda

I love the Master System soooo much more than the NES, despite there being probably 10x as many good NES games as Master System. Apart for the Mario games I found it really difficult to play NES games because I was used to the better colours of the Master System. Any other irrational Master System fanboys?

HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By HazBazz
    TheHappiestPanda said:
    "I'm no fanboy...
    "
    Yes you are
    Yes you are
    RabbitKarrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By RabbitKarrot

Im not a fanboy, but i do hold great love for the SMS, more so then the NES.

Jon_Rivera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Jon_Rivera

Aside from the Amstrad GX4000, the Master System is the tech power house over the NES. The NES has a wide library of games, but the NES is also known to have more crappier games for it because of its popularity. Games looked and played generally better on the SMS. Think about Double Dragon as an example. The NES version was awful for two reasons. The graphical accuracy fell woefully short of the arcade version and you couldn't even play simultaneously with another person (which was the best part about Double Dragon). On the Master System, The graphics were a little bit better (but not by a whole lot), and two people were able to beat the snot out of thugs on one screen. The NES is by far the more popular system. But the SMS is the more competant system by far; there's no doubt about that.

megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By megalowho

I loved my SMS. Everyone and their mother had an NES around that time, and I treasured my Master System all the more because of it. Very underrated system, and while the games are mostly shit I'll always remember the console fondly, as it basically turned me into a lifelong gamer.

CrazyCraven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 20

#6  Edited By CrazyCraven

It was a great system.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DualReaver

There is a lot of systems I've never heard about. >_>

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By atejas

This makes me feel sad that my first system was a Dreamcast.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By dagas

I got my Master System in 1995 when they were clearing out the stock (yes they were still selling them at least where I lived) I got it because I could not afford the Mega Drive/Genesis and I wanted Sonic, but I never played Sonic on the Master System, but I had some great fun with Alex Kid in Miracle World that was built into the SMSII console. I also could afford a lot of games since they were less than 10 % of the price of a SNES game at the time. Despite the fact that the system was already old when I got it I had more fun with it than the NES I got in 1994 and used it until I bought a Plasystation in 1998 (I could never afford to be an early adopter back then) I sold it including all of the games for the equivalent of 15 dollars and the latest copy of the Playstation magazine...WHAT A STUPID MISTAKE!

nasie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nasie

I didn't own one but I really liked it when playing it at friends. It was neat, slick and the quality in the games was something else. But it lacked games to make it the powerhouse it should have been.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@nasie said:
    " But it lacked games to make it the powerhouse it should have been. "
    You beat me to it, I was about to write the same thing. I had a Master System II, but the game selection was pretty small. Lots of "meh" stuff and even the Sonic games were not all that good, specifically Sonic Chaos. I always thought that Sonic looked weird in that game, like wearing a helmet or something.
    Noremakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Noremakk
    @megalowho said:
    " Very underrated system, and while the games are mostly shit... "
    Wait, wait, wait.
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By animateria

You're not a fanboy... You're delusional!

Avatar image for redeyesbluebunny
    RedEyesBlueBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By RedEyesBlueBunny

im a little confused about whether you are admitting you're a fanboy or not. on another note, i don't think i'm old enough to make a good argument in the NES vs. SMS heated debate

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By JJOR64

I've never tried a Sega Master System before and I would like to one day.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By Jost1

SMS is a great console with a decent selection of games, it just pales in comparison with the NES's popularity and library. 

But damn it if Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap isn't one of the best games ever

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.