Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sequel

Concept »

A sequel (also called a follow-up) is a game that carries forward the gameplay concepts, and often the story, of a previous game to which it is officially linked.

Naming sequels: "It's actually a prequel-slash-reimagining..."

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Naming sequels: "It's actually a prequel-slash-reimagining..." (50 votes)

Sequels should have numbers (e.g., Quake 2). 22%
    Sequels should have subtitles (e.g., The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past). 16%
    Sequels should have both numbers and subtitles (e.g., Leisure Suit Larry 4: The Missing Floppies). 40%
    Sequels should say Screw you, DAD (e.g., Rise of the Tomb Raider). 8%
    Results 14%

Good news! Your favorite video game is getting a sequel. But should it be sequentially numbered or should it have a subtitle? Or both? Or neither?!

• 
    csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

SEQUELS SHOULD HAVE NUMBERS!

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

What about the inevitable expansion to the critically acclaimed sequel? We clearly need a second poll, to which the right answer is clearly "SWAT 4: The Stetchkov Syndicate".

So I guess we can work back from that and conclude that the right answer here is numbers. But what about SWAT 3: Close Quarters Battle (not an expansion)? And if we really want to go down this hole, was SWAT not really the subtitle all along. This is the Police Quest: SWAT series.

At least we've not approached the infinite series of numberings and subtitles that starts with Star Wars: Dark Forces. Noooo!!!

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Either consistent numbering or no numbering at all. Undying franchises like AC or FF or even Battlefield that sometimes have several subtitled games inbetween moving up a number (but that don't give up the numbering entirely at some point or relegate it to sub-franchises like COD does) are just the worst naming wise.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I think both might be the best answer. When a series has a lot of sequels that just have subtitles, you have to do some research to work out which you should play first :|

Also, Leisure Suit Larry 4 is definitely a weird example to choose...

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#5  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Just subtitles are fine if they are decent at implying the chronological order of the games, like Command & Conquer games - the first game was called Tiberian Dawn, the second (not counting the Red Alert spinoffs) Tiberian Sun and the last Tiberian Twilight (there was Tiberium Wars inbetween there though, kinda ruining that time-of-day theme)!

Then of course, C&C 3 and 4 both had subtitles and were numbered.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By rorie

I'm a fan of just subtitles. It implies a relationship without mandating familiarity with past games in order to enjoy the new one.

Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ryuku_Ryosake

I'm a fan of the number and subtitle approach. It offers the most versatility. As I feel number and subtitles imply very different things.

Numbers imply one of two things. The first is for more narratively focused indicating this is the next chapter in a multi part saga. An example of this is Mass Effect 1, 2, and 3. This is in fact the rarer usage in video games. The other is this is the next 'generation' of the previous game. An example is your Super Mario Bros. 1,2, and 3 along with your Final Fantasy. It basically saying we made this many of these and you know the exact order we made them in.

Subtitles by themselves tell you absolutely nothing. They don't even imply if or if not there is even any other game in the franchise. Plenty games with only a single title have a subtitle. You need to have at least some passing knowledge of the franchise to even being to decipher a subtitle. Subtitle only only works in the case where there is literally no connection between games and just play the most recent one. The problem is there is literally no help in telling you which is the newest entry. So either catch it as a new release, research, or you stare that the steam prices and the most expensive one is likely the newest.

Now combining numbers and subtitles, the subtitle actually have some meaning. In the narratively focused definition for numbers it tells you that this game is a gaiden that take place in the 2 time frame. In the more traditional generational game meaning for the numbers the subtitle implies a more direct relationship between subtitled entry and its number than the usual number to number sequels.

Now the number and subtitle approach does have an issue. Which I will dub the Mass Effect: Andromeda problem. Because I assume there will be multiple entries in that series with close ties like the original three Mass Effect games. But since Andromeda seems to be a subtitle rather than part of the main title like Mass Effect Andromeda 1,2 and 3 which would work perfectly. Does that mean they will shuffle subtitles which not work at all in conveying they this is a strongly link trilogy of games. Or will they do a clunk Mass Effect: Andromeda 2.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By TheWildCard

Just subtitles are fine if you commit to it from the beginning. Going from numbered to just subtitled is always awkward.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I like numbers being in there, I think it's pretty awesome a series like Final Fantasy can be successful enough to have 15 numbered entries. Plus it makes for easier shorthand

A combo of numbers and subtitles is my preference. Best of both of worlds!

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

I technically went with numbers, but in the style of DRIV3R and F.3.A.R

bassguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

"[Title] [Number]: [Subtitle]" is the best formula.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Superman IV: The Quest for Peace is the best title ever, so naturally gaming should follow that template if it ever wants to be worth a damn!

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly it depends. The subtitle has to be good, obviously. (I know it's not a sequel, but Zero Dawn ain't that great a subtitle to Horizon). And numbers are fine, and sometimes do well to indicate a main entry in a series from a spin-off; although that's not always consistent.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Totally different titles.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Movie sequel titles were more fun before Godfather Pt II.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.