Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shenmue

Franchise »

Created by Yu Suzuki, the Shenmue franchise follows the story of Ryo Hazuki, the son of a martial arts master, as he searches for his father's killer. It was groundbreaking in its time, for its impressive graphics, realism, open-world adventure gameplay, real-time weather, NPC schedules, and of course QTE cut-scenes.

[ENDURANCE RUN] Sick enjoyment of Alex, Dan & Vinny getting stuck?

JasonLeeson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By JasonLeeson

Is it just me or is anyone else taking great pleasure in the fact the guys are getting stuck and/or annoyed in Shenmue? I loved the game back in the day and own a sealed Japanese copy, so I feel like I don't need/desire to see a fan-playthrough (of which there are many). It's just so entertaining to watch 3 guys bang their head against the wall when you know the answer, just KNOWING that this is the ENDURANCE RUN and they CANNOT escape. It's not like a Quick Look or Unprofessional Friday's where they have the option to move on to another game the minute they got bored. They are STUCK and they have to just suck it up. Man, I love it.

Also, I'm getting really excited for future episodes where they literally have to get a day job as a Forklift Truck driver. Considering Vinny and Alex have already, after a few hours into the game, started to comment on the mundane aspects of the game.

Prediction of the guy's reaction when it dawns on them that they literally have to get a day job as a Forklift Truck driver:

Vinny: So this is IT? I have to get a JOB?
    Alex: Oh god just kill me already...
    Dan: Welcome to Shenmue!

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I fully enjoy it, eastside is firing on all cylinders as usual.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I needed to know what Shenmue is. Now I know and watching Alex and Vinny collapse is fascinating.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

Today's episode was one of my favorite bits of GB content in a while. I've also never played Shenmue, so I have no idea what they're actually supposed to do.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Absolutely. Reminds me of the Deadly Premonition Endurance Runs, which I still watch from time to time. So great.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Zeik

One can only hope that it descends further into madness and "Fireboylt" will seem sane by the end.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

To be honest, I decided to just have this going in the background and look over when there's a cutscene. And episode 6 was still incredible.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By BoOzak

I love Shemue but I cant defend it, it is what it is and there isnt anything else quite like it. I also like the Yakuza games but they cut out all the mundane 'life-like' things which makes these games what they are. One cool thing about Shenmue II if/when they get around to playing it is people are much more helpful and will actually walk you to where you need to go.

As for my enjoyment of watching them suffer I couldnt stop laughing at child Vinny playing with his toys. Who needs QTE master when you have the Y button!

Berserk007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Freshly squeezed comedy anyone?

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Wait, you played it, remember it, and you aren't super defensive about criticisms toward it?! Are you SURE it was Shenmue you played and are a fan of? Honestly, I feel I could be down with playing Shenmue myself. But not in an ER capacity. Being in the right mood (one of patience and serenity, surely) seems essential.

The video app was down this afternoon and I was forced to travel to the barren wastes of Youtube to watch the ER episode. The people there are rather grumpy about the whole thing; they are not as forgiving as you, and aren't afraid to speak of it in loud, lengthy rants.

I don't know if I'm crazy or if it's just been a while since the last good "nutso" GB occurence, but I haven't laughed like I did when Vinny said "Fireboylt" in a very long time. Maybe Mario Maker DMX Goomba?

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

As one of those crazy people that loves and still plays the Shenmue games from time to time, I am loving the ER. I have always said, the gameplay itself is pretty bad. Its the story and everything else around the gameplay that hooked me(and I would assume everyone else that likes the series). I just hope they pick up on a few things and learn the flow of the game sooner than later because its going to be one hell of a drag to watch them screaming at an NPC sitting in an arcade for 40+ hours. The good news is that if they DO play Shenmue 2, I assume they will be playing the Xbox port(its backwards compatible on 360 hint hint @vinny) and that version is a huge step forward as far as gameplay is concerned.

Shenmue is somewhere between a point and click adventure game and an FMV game but 3d and "open". Comparing it to games like Sleeping Dogs or even Yakuza is just setting people up for disappointment. Its more like playing a book.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

I want them to enjoy it. I still hope they will realize they can zoom in on things to open drawers in his room etc. They were in the first episode saying "opening the closet was advanced for its time" but they can open so much more and find things in there! I want them to play better so they will enjoy it more. But yeah it is a bit funny too but I can't help feeling bad about them not liking it. I loved both Shenmue games so much and have such great memories of them.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Dan wasn't kidding! When Vinny realises what the game is it's bloody hilarious. I'm not sure if the world needs Shemue 3 now.

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm of two minds on the series. I'm having a lot of fun with it. The guys are funny, and there IS a lot of janky funny stuff in the game to poke fun at...

...and yet, before watching it I sort of assumed they would have have seen SOME of what makes it special, as well. Dan keeps insisting it's good, but they must think him a Fanboy in denial just like the rest of us. I won't defend any of the more toxic fanboys, but it can be frustrating to be told over and over again your opinions are just nostalgia or just fanboyism or whatever it is, and any defending of the game is childish behavior.

I don't know, man. The game has always been something special. But I have specific tastes in games. I like Adventure games. I like exploring. The mundane real life aspects are a plus to me. I can't help taking some aspects of the mocking of this game personally for whatever reason. And yet I'm still loving this series.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WynnDuffy

Jeff is on the money when he says Yakuza are better Shenmue games, that is for sure.

The more I watch the videos the more I am surprised how well Shenmue holds up graphically and wow it's insane for a 1999 game.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Episode 6 was my favorite episode so far. The point where Vinny just cracked finally and let it all out was fantastic. And then the ensuing timefiller trolling was just gold. Much appreciated after trying to take the game seriously was putting me to sleep a bit. Holy crap it looks no good.

Part of me still wishes they would've done Yakuza instead.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If you want a hyper efficient speed run, why are you watching an endurance run is my question?

enduranceɪnˈ

djʊər(ə)ns,ɛn-,-ˈdʒ-,-ɔː/noun

1.the ability to endure an unpleasant or difficult process or situation without giving way.

These fine gentlemen endure the challenge without giving way. That is an Endurance Run, No guides, no walkthroughs, no replays. Just Guile, perseverance and stubbornitude.

Lazarus11189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The endurance runs have always been enjoyable, and this one has been no exception. I think I derive most of my enjoyment from watching the guys try and figure out what on earth is going on, as well as listening to their initial reactions to the more eccentric and surprising aspects of the game they are playing. Out of all the endurance runs so far, the one I always end up rewatching is Jeff and Vinny's Persona 4 endurance run. That will always be the classic.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By ArtisanBreads

The last episode was fucking hilarious. They totally cracked and it was amazing. I know there are some other things they can be doing in the game that they haven't realized and may never realize but them complaining and talking about The Running Man for an hour is superior.

SaFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yesiamaduck: The world might not need it. But i do damnit! And i'll get it, probably in 2020 if kickstarter delays are anything to go by.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By Undeadpool

@rigas said:

If you want a hyper efficient speed run, why are you watching an endurance run is my question?

enduranceɪnˈ

djʊər(ə)ns,ɛn-,-ˈdʒ-,-ɔː/noun

1.the ability to endure an unpleasant or difficult process or situation without giving way.

These fine gentlemen endure the challenge without giving way. That is an Endurance Run, No guides, no walkthroughs, no replays. Just Guile, perseverance and stubbornitude.

This. A THOUSAND times this. It's a tale as old as the very first one on the site (Persona 4), but the people screeching in the comments about how they're playing it wrong by not playing it as optimally as they should be (because they're not using a walkthrough on their first time is usually omitted).

Come to Giant Bomb for the personalities, there are THOUSANDS of videos of hot, frame-perfect playthroughs. I'm not here for that. I'm here to watch two men have a meltdown because a third won't say "fireball."

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

Vinny breaking at the end was beautiful. Poor guy, I hope something - anything - positive can be learned from the experience. Either way, I'm really enjoying it. :D

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I can't imagine how the tone will be going forward considering at some points they are going to be playing Shenmue for like 8 hours straight. Buckle up.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By cornbredx

That's one of the guilty pleasures of an Endurance Run for certain.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.