Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

A Humble Request

safelybeds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By safelybeds

I am quite prepared to be lynched for this, but that's alright. 

For me, the Endurance Run has had three stages of user support. In the beginning, there was both enthusiasm and snobbery as Persona fans the internet over flocked to see what this feature had to offer. Eventually, the JRPG elitists realized it wasn't for them (for the most part) and dropped off. Then it was happy fun time for all the rest of us, wasn't it? I certainly remember that middle portion well. 

Now we're nearing the end, and it seems a genuine love for the Endurance Run has bred a new type of demanding commentor -- the kind who doesn't want the Endurance Run to end on a bad note, and is willing to take unnecessarily drastic steps to communicate the "right way" to ensure that doesn't happen.  

Thing is, I think people on both sides of the issue -- from those yelling at J&V to 'do this or that' to others telling them to STFU -- need to take a step back. Half the reason joy seems to be sucking out of the Endurance Run, for me at least, is the excess amount of wank we've experienced lately. People are going to be douchemonkeies. It's the internet. But the Endurance Run isn't about that kinda thing. It's about watching two funny dudes play a weird-as-shit-but-still-awesome video game from start to finish.  

And yeah, it's coming to an end and I know everyone is concerned about how it'll wrap up. But shouldn't we be as worried about the final impression the Giant Bomb community will leave upon its completion? 

Just some food for thought, which I'm sure has been said many times before. I just needed to get it off my chest, so that's all you'll hear from me. :)
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By RHCPfan24

I agree with your statement. Whenever I tune into the ER nowadays, if I see a bunch of comments that are desperately trying to lecture Jeff and Vinny about how to play the game, I really lose interest and feel that any comment I make is insignificant. The ER is all about fun but a lot of people don't see it that way, unfortunately.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By EvilTwin

Not to sound like a troll, but if you don't read the comments--they can't affect your enjoyment of the ER can they?  I kind of go back and forth, because I think most people genuinely want to help out, but get frustrated that their helpful comment might go unread in the sea of other comments.  On the other hand, sometimes it does seem like P4 snobbery.

safelybeds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By safelybeds
    @EvilTwin:
    It's not just about my personal experience though, it's about the way we're coming off as a community. I love the Endurance Run and I'd love for them to do a new one, but at this rate I'm worried that they won't do another at all.  

Also, I don't think the people providing advice are idiots or bad or should be banned from commenting or anything. If you read my first post, you'll see I really, honestly think the people posting advice genuinely LOVE the ER and want to make sure it goes as far as it possibly can. I know I've posted advice in the past. That "golden age" in the middle of the Run had a lot of comments with advice -- but now that almost every new comment starts another arguement, people are just disolving into petty finger pointing and degrading comments/spoiler witch hunts/etc. 

I have a feeling Jeff and Vinny may have stopped reading the comments as frequently because every shred of decent, even keeled advice is drowned out by a sea of people argueing. That leads to more people frustrated that their advice isn't being heard, which means comments get a little ruder, which means more arguements... 

All I'm saying is I think it's a vicious cycle. No one has to listen to me, I just wanted to say my piece and put my mind at ease. :D
    bulletstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By bulletstorm

I watch completely for the story commentary; I kind of freak out sometimes when they've done some bad fusing but I've never instructed them so I agree with you there. I don't want Jeff and Vinny to follow every hardcore P4's instructions and know what? I think if it hadn't been for all of this "true ending" stuff everyone's been trying to get through their heads I think they would have gotten just the normal ending.  

I definately would have gotten the normal ending if I hadn't been aware of the true ending; and I don't think it's going to send the Endurance Run off on a good note to see them struggle through another week of a monotonous dungeon when the normal ending is so perfectly fine to send the E.R. off. 

General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By General_D23

I must say, the problem isn't so much the fans of the ER as much as gamers in general. As gamers, and users of the internet, for that matter, we've been spoiled beyond belief. People have a natural tendency to take things way too seriously, which I honestly can understand in some situations, but the ER is really a perfect example of how bad it can get.

If you truly love a thing, you should have faith in the creators enough to believe they will take it to where it needs to, and should, go. They no doubt know of the multiple endings, and if they don't, I'm sure Ryan or another member of the team does. 

I know I've already dedicated several hours of my life to fast fowarding through the Endurance Run, and I'm sure many more have dedicated much more time in watching it completely, but just relax and sit comfortably as we head toward the ending, whichever that may be.
    Avatar image for akasofailsongiantbomb
    AkasoFailsOnGiantBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Really, the "ALL CHIE'S GOOD FOR IS LOOKING LIKE A DUDE YOU SHOULD USE NAOTO EVERYONE SHOULD USE NAOTO I LOVE NAOTO NAOTO NAOTO FUCKING NAOTO" comments are getting on my nerves more. I knew they were going to show up the moment she became a party member, and I'm not surprised, but still. You didn't see me pressuring Jeff and Vinny to use Kanji when they got him, did you?

sgjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sgjackson

I haven't been reading the comments and I think I gave one suggestion the whole time. Seems like the best suggestion, really.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By crusader8463

why do you even read the comments? They are always full of spoilers and people just being douche bags. I stopped looking at them around episode 4 or 5. Maybe when its over i will go read some forum posts about it, but until then i know they will just annoy me and ruin the game. As i do with all games I'm currently or want to play i avoid any and all info about them once they are out while I'm online because people are douche bags online and they like to ruin other peoples fun.

safelybeds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By safelybeds

@crusader8463:
    I read the comments on and off because, occasionally, there's an interesting/humorous/fun comment to be found. The thing is, arguements don't give me a case of RAGE. None of this is really rage induced, more just an appeal to return to the way things once were. I know its not impossible because for the majority of the ER, everyone's been pretty chill (there are always exceptions, but on the whole I believe this to be true).  

Also, I'm not too worried about spoilers, seeing as I've beaten the game twice. Thanks for the heads up, though!  

@AkasoFailsOnGiantBomb:

I can understand how you feel. The character bashing has gotten a bit out of hand and I can't really see the point beyond riling up other users. I'm not the biggest fan of Naoto either -- child detective seems a bit too out there for a game with such "normal" characters (which is one of my favorite things about Persona 4), and I tend to like the less srsbsns characters as a rule to begin with -- but I can see why she's an immensely popular character, which is why she might have a larger share of wacky fans compared to the majority of sane ones. It's annoying and the people bashing aren't exactly blameless, but sometimes you're better off turning the other cheek, y'know?

amino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By amino

Why piss off just because of some irritating comments?Just skip reading the comments and you are fine.I also sometimes give the comment  when someone give the wrong facts about Persona 4.I dont understand why some of you get irritated just because someone gives "irritating advices" on how to play.Without those  "advices" I believe it will take almost forever to beat certain bosses.It is better to be defeated by enemy once and then read some comment and apply them to win the battle rather than keep ignoring all those "irritating advices" and keep fighting the enemy with the same tactics although you are already defeated for 50 times.I believe watching 50 ER episodes fighting the same boss is more irritating than watching 2 ER episodes fighting the same boss.     

Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

I actually think that it was pretty great around the middle because people were just sort of "nudging" Vinny and Jeff towards their objectives instead of almost yelling outright that they HAD to do something or else the game would end badly. It really got on my nerves after a while but I'm not sure if it's something that can be helped. People will be people and this is the internet, so... yeah.

safelybeds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By safelybeds
    @amino:
    Have you read any of my comments? I really have never said anything has been irritating, I'm just saying that it's totally possible for us as a userbase to provide advice in a less wanky way. Like Dr_Feelgood38 said, around the middle there was a lot of gentle "nudging" that got Jeff and Vinny advice without starting a huge war. For the record, I think people on BOTH sides of the many arguements cropping up everywhere are somewhat to blame, not just those giving advice. I'm sorry if I'm not being clear enough, but I don't think I know how to put it much plainer.
    Avatar image for commodoregroovy
    CommodoreGroovy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CommodoreGroovy

Giving competent, helpful advice to our endurance runners is perfectly fine. Coincidently, a huge part of the endurance run is the viewer's ability to interact with it. Leaving comments about experiences with recent scenes, courteous tips on recent gameplay struggles - and if done right, a possible hint on upcoming obstacles - that the endurance runners could read and possibly incorporate in the endurance run, and would ideally, make everybody happy. However, I've witnessed several people accuse Jeff and Vinny of being incompetent, because they either made a mistake or had a difference of opinion. I couldn't tell you why they act like this, my only possible explanation is they like being assholes and or ignorant.  

chewii101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By chewii101

I try not reading the comments and just enjoying the ER. But then again, I'll read em for a chuckle. 

dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By dietmango

I agree. I've seen lots of comments. There are many people who are taking this stuff way too seriously. I get so irritated that they even have the right to call Jeff and Vinny "stupid" (I've run across a couple of them already) just because they do something wrong. I mean, I kind of cringe whenever they do, but why is it such a big deal? They're not the ones playing the game, so why should they care? Let them do their own thing.

Anyways, it's good to give them helpful advice on what they should do next, or that they should correct this and that and not spoil whatever comes next, and not be an asshole about it. But lately, people just want to see them get the good ending and just spoiling them stuff left and right. It's really getting out of hand. But really...this is the internet, so I guess you can't really stop douchebags from being douchebags. Man, sometimes I just wish Jeff and Vinny would get the bad endings on purpose just to piss these immature bastards off...but then again, that might not be such a good idea...

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@asian_pride said:
    Man, sometimes I just wish Jeff and Vinny would get the bad endings on purpose just to piss these immature bastards off"
    Yeah, I say complete Ignore that endings guide that has been quoted again 3 times in the last 24 hours and see where it goes.
    dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By dietmango
    @atomic_dumpling said:
    " @asian_pride said:
    Man, sometimes I just wish Jeff and Vinny would get the bad endings on purpose just to piss these immature bastards off"
    Yeah, I say complete Ignore that endings guide that has been quoted again 3 times in the last 24 hours and see where it goes. "

I don't know if that was sarcasm or not.
    Jerusahat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jerusahat

I wouldn't blame Jeff and Vinny if they took the quick ending at this point. Vinny seems excited to see the end of the tunnel, and I imagine all this direct pestering is getting a bit much.
    Donkeysraliens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By Donkeysraliens
    @Chewii101 said:
    " I try not reading the comments and just enjoying the ER. But then again, I'll read em for a chuckle.  "
    Agreed, sometimes looking at some of the idiotic, forceful, ignorant, overly dramatic comments cant help but bring a smile to your face, i mean its not like were getting hours of entertainment each week for free right? i mean the LEAST we can do is make retarded comments about how their stupid for not playing the game 'the right way' right? (side note: for those of you who have been recently lobotomized, this is sarcasm). 
    I honestly have to laugh at people who find two guys playing a game on the internet and having fun so earth shatteringly important that they actually seem generally insulted when they play it their way, sure helpful advice is great but forcing it down their necks is just dumb and unnecessary (i happen to think their doing a fine job as it is) and quite honestly, some of the ER comments make this community look worse than the majority of the Matrix Online fanbase. 
    Well, im pretty sure everything iv just said has already been mentioned one way or another on this thread, making this post absolutely pointless! HURRAY!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.