Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

P4 on PS3 on April 8...

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Always wanted to play this for myself but I didn't want to get a PS2 just for it (yeah, yeah, lots of great PS2 games... but I've got a backlog that requires I retire NOW if I want to get thru it and keep playing new games too), so -- even if it is a PS2 Classic I'm still a happy bunny...

<shill on>

So the ESRB post everyone seemed to find earlier this week told you that Persona 4 was coming to PlayStation 3 as a PS2 Classic, but it didn't tell you when, did it? It didn't, but we're going to go ahead and tell you anyways.

Persona 4 will be available to download on PlayStation Network beginning April 8!

Astute fans will recognize the date is three days before the main character transfers to Yasogami High School, so if you're the type of super-dedicated player that wants to play the game exactly to the calendar date, there's still time!

<shill off>

Woo! I think I will be one of those crazy motherfuckers and play it to match the date in the game...

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By slyspider

Crap I need to do my P4G play through. Also if I own every version of all persona games do i need to own this one? Does this count as the ps2 version? Damnit this is hard to keep up with

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Raidou Kuzonuho (I know I'm butchering the spelling) is also going to hit the PSN too. Anyone play that one?

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Which version is going over to PS3?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By xyzygy

I reallllly don't recommend playing it along with the calendar... dungeons will take some time and if you keep entering and exiting then you can end up wasting your days that could be better used doing something else. Usually, you'll want to try to stay in a dungeon for as long as possible in one day. I just finished the 3rd dungeon (Golden on Vita) and it took me over 5 hours - making my way to the top, trying the really long boss, dying, then grinding to get 5 more levels, then battling the super long boss and then cutscenes. And some days will whiz by because there's some story stuff.

I mean, I can understand why that would be kind of cool, but after putting 50 hours into the game and only being 3 months into the school year, the days definitely don't correspond with each other. Even some days you won't get to save because there's a bunch of story stuff going down.

But get it. This game is damn good. So hilarious. I wonder which version is actually superior - Vita or PS2?

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I'll grab it when it's out. If I'm splurging 10 bucks might as well be on persona 4.

hsghsghsg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By hsghsghsg

@flstyle: "Persona 4 was coming to PlayStation 3 as a PS2 classic"

They would have said Persona 4 Golden if it was Golden.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Steadying

Not buying the PS2 version again. I wonder if SMT III will ever show up on PSN.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:

But get it. This game is damn good. So hilarious. I wonder which version is actually superior - Vita or PS2?

From what I understand, the Vita version has:
    Bonus dungeon(s)
    Fundamental gameplay updates to mixing/fusing Persona's
    Bonus protagonist

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King

@sparky_buzzsaw:

Can't you just use the search function to spell for you? I do it all the time.

(Also, wasn't there another thread about this? I'm not trying to bitch; just noting that I vaguely remember a "P4 on PS3" thread already existing.)

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@flstyle: "Persona 4 was coming to PlayStation 3 as a PS2 classic"

They would have said Persona 4 Golden if it was Golden.

Meh, my PS2 P4 disc works fine on my PS3 and I'll never had an urge to play it all the way through again so I won't be bothering.

Uppercaseccc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Despite the fact I own Persona 4 Golden there is a serious temptation to buy this because Persona 4.

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

Wasn't there a way to transfer your PS2 saves onto the PS3? I've been sitting at the end since right after the game came out and would like to correct that terrible terrible oversight.

Uppercaseccc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daneian said:

Wasn't there a way to transfer your PS2 saves onto the PS3? I've been sitting at the end since right after the game came out and would like to correct that terrible terrible oversight.

If you can find a way to hook up a PS2 memory card to a PS3 go ahead but to my knowledge there is no way to transfer saves between those consoles.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By mosespippy

@daneian said:

If you can find a way to hook up a PS2 memory card to a PS3 go ahead but to my knowledge there is no way to transfer saves between those consoles.

There was an official Sony USB Memory Card Adapter. It's the sort of thing that cost $20 and you use once to copy everything over and then never need it again.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By jay_ray

@daneian said:

Early on Sony released a PS2 memory dongle to transfer saves.

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

@jay_ray: @mosespippy: Thanks guys. I remember the transfer cable and for whatever reason thought i had made it up until i just found a 3rd party on on amazon. Pickin' that shit up.

Uppercaseccc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Uppercaseccc

@mosespippy@jay_ray: Huh I didn't know that well know I know something something something G.I.Joe.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well sure, I guess I'll buy this game again. I mean, I bought Persona 3 like ten times. Might as well get P4 up to, like, four times.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've never played the original edition, and I do have my PS3 hooked up to a pretty nice old Sony Tube TV for old-game purposes (the first Metal Gear, specifically). Maybe I'll it. Or rather, I'll buy it and play it for a couple of hours.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who your Waifu

Farkas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ten bucks is a good deal, hope that makes some people who have never played it pick it up

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was the ER version, right? Because if that's the case, I'll probably pick it up.

Jocund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mlarrabee: It suuuuuuure is! Tuesday needs to get its shit together and come on already.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

That's great that it's finally coming to the PlayStation store, ... but too bad it's not for the console plugged into my tv right now :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.