Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sid Meier's Civilization V

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 21, 2010

Civilization V brings brand new gameplay elements to this beloved franchise, while maintaining the "just one more turn" mentality.

Civ 5 strategies?

KimChi4U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By KimChi4U

So, I played the demo for Civ5 (game hasn't unlocked for me yet) and I was wondering if anyone has some strategies that they've developed to take into account the changes that the game presents. For example: During the demo, I attacked a city state with 5 units (1 warrior, 2 hoplites, and 2 archers in what I figured wasn't a terrible formation) and was unsuccessful at conquering it. Anything that works particularily well?  

As well, I was wondering about buying land tiles. I can see the benefit to buying tiles to get access to resources, but what other purpose would buying tiles serve? Other than perhaps blocking off routes for your competitors or connecting your different cities together, I don't see buying tiles important beyond that. Would a cities' growth be halted if the culture wasn't enough on its own to expand borders? I had heard that other cities couldn't be taken over by culture a la Civ4 so I guess my question is: Does buying up a whole bunch of tiles around a city serve a purpose? 

What victories have you gotten and what have you done to get there? I played a little Civ4 recently to get me in the Civ mindset but with so many changes I'm wondering what people are doing differently now.

Avatar image for dork_metamorphosis
    Dork_Metamorphosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Buying tiles is useful if a city is starving and you can grab a few tiles worth of food to remedy that.  

As for attacking cities, if you have the city surrounded, the city itself can only attack one unit each turn.  It seems also that it will prioritize attacking ranged units.  So if you bring an archer unit in range and set it to fortify until healed, you might be able to keep the city barraging that unit for enough turns to alternate attacking and healing with your other units to bring it down. 

smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By smcn

Yesterday I finished my first game of Civ 5*. I went with the default settings (continents/small/chieftain) and won via domination. Resources were the only reason I bought tiles (iron & horses early on). It seems catapults are the best way to go if you want to attack cities in the early game. Later on crossbowmen can get a bonus vs. cities, but by the end of the game I was doing fine with just riflemen. 

A side note, in the aforementioned game I didn't really see any benefit to attacking city-states. I'm not even sure there is one, unless you really need your own city there. The benefits from being friends seems just as good, especially if you're going for a cultural victory. 

* (actually the first game of Civ I've ever finished, despite having bought Civ 3 and 4)

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Donos

Domination victory seems strangely easy in Civ 5, particularly as Germany (on Prince, at least). WIth the prevalence of barbarian camps you can just build one extra warrior, run around the map recruiting barbarians in the early game, and before long you have a free army and a bunch of extra gold to just go stomp your closest neighbour. Wih that second capital city so early in the game, it's almost hard not to win.

For general city attack tactics, I have 2 tips. Get a melee unit with the medic promotion and put it up close to the city. The extra healing will basically nullify any damage the city can do. Second, don't attack city-states until you have seige weapons. They're much stronger than most capital cities even, and will beat the shit out of any ancient era units.

Zenoside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Zenoside

If you want to take out city-states early game, set up your ranged units and melee units just outside of them. Have at least 2 or three ranged units pecking away at the city till it gets about half way taken. Then send in your melee units to clean it up.

Aside from that focus on economic research and buildings early on, lots of money can go a long way to securing domination and the ability to simply buy what you want. It is hilarious to go to war with someone and buy out the city states around them and watch as they are attacked by their former allies.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Wuddel

Yeah, on chieftain you can probably anything, and still win. Certainly catapults and swordsmen are the way to go, but they need iron. Just bring the city down 1-2 turns with ranged units and then attack. Bringing a Great General also helps a lot! Its a lot about terrain though. Try to get promotions from barbarians for open and rough terrain on separate units, use the appropriate. Such specializing seems to be incredibly useful.

Buying tiles is mostly for getting resources and preventing the enemy from getting them. Also you can make "spikes" leading to the enemy territory and then culture bomb them (Great Artist)

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Zurv

settler spam!
    Cday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Cday
    @KimChi4U said:
    "

So, I played the demo for Civ5 (game hasn't unlocked for me yet) and I was wondering if anyone has some strategies that they've developed to take into account the changes that the game presents. For example: During the demo, I attacked a city state with 5 units (1 warrior, 2 hoplites, and 2 archers in what I figured wasn't a terrible formation) and was unsuccessful at conquering it. Anything that works particularily well?

"
    City States are usually a great deal more powerful than a rival Civs city would be. Unlike units the strength of a city isn't affected by its hit points so it will always attack with whatever power is listed under its name. It's probably better to work with a City State rather than conquering it as being allies will not only give you its type benefit (food, culture, free units) but its strategic and luxury resources as well.
    Snotty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Snotty

Im still waiting for the game to unlock but I played the demo a lot. On Prince I could take all the capitals on the greek island (the same as a tiny map maybe?) 

I beelined for horseback riding, started with a scout/worker build, had 3 or 4 companion cavalry by turn 50ish, and knocked down 3 capitals by turn 75. It seems like 4 cavalry was the magic number for knocking down a city quickly

Thats my strategy - kill them as quick as they can before they kill you :) then go up a difficulty

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By yinstarrunner

I'm just about to win my first game. Tech victory. I started off really tech heavy until I realized I was miles ahead of all the other civilizations. At that point I just said screw it and took out the two nearest empires with about five units and two generals. Got a lot of extra income from that that I then used to build a lot of production-increasing buildings so I could bang our the spaceship parts as fast as possible.

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Rayeth

The great generals are crazy good.  The bonuses they give let a small force of crossbowen take down a whole civ.  With the AI in its current state, I don't ever see myself sacrificing them to build a citadel.  Ever.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By meteora

Rapid expansion is always the way to go. Land = Power.

KimChi4U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KimChi4U

@cday130: 
    Yeah, I figured working with a city state is better than conquering it. I was going after it simply because a rival city state wanted it done. 

Another  quick question. If a city state asks you to take out a rival city state, will installing a puppet ruler count as taking it out? Or will you simply have to conquer it?

Avatar image for dork_metamorphosis
    Dork_Metamorphosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@KimChi4U said:
    "

@cday130: 
    Yeah, I figured working with a city state is better than conquering it. I was going after it simply because a rival city state wanted it done. 

Another  quick question. If a city state asks you to take out a rival city state, will installing a puppet ruler count as taking it out? Or will you simply have to conquer it?

"
    Unlike in real life, puppetry is acceptable.  
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Animasta
    @Meteora said:
    " Rapid expansion is always the way to go. Land = Power. "
    unless you want to win via culture, then you just get 3-4 cities
    Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I don't have a set strategy in my Civilization games, nor am I proclaiming that I am some sort of professional. I enjoy adapting my playstyle to the situation at hand, and working from there. Makes all my games different.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By meteora
    @Laketown said:
    " @Meteora said:
    unless you want to win via culture, then you just get 3-4 cities "
    Even then you would want a few more cities to produce enough units to defend your nation.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @Laketown said:
    " @Meteora said:
    unless you want to win via culture, then you just get 3-4 cities "
    Except this ain't like the past civ games where all the  wonders gave like +8 culture per turn and rapid expansion would just get you raped in a war even if you didn't want one (at least on Prince and higher difficulty). 
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#19  Edited By mike

Maybe it was a mistake going Prince difficulty on an Earth-sized map and Epic length on my first Civ game ever. Oh well, I'm learning the hard way what not to do.

Anyway, since I didn't know anything about Civ starting out (and still don't), I didn't really have a strategy. I just started playing the game and paying attention to the tooltips and sorta started naturally expanding. Maybe it's because of the game length I'm playing on, but I'm on turn 250-ish and I just made it into the Medieval Age...that's with about four hours of play. I just started buying tiles here and there, and establishing trade routes between my three cities, and I even annexed an annoying city-state who was sitting on some prime horse real estate I needed to get my hands on. All seemed well, then the Queen of England got pissed off so I told her to go pound sand down a rathole. Save game, will come back to this over the weekend!

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Tennmuerti
    Strategy A:
    1. choose Egypt
    2. find Marble
    3. get Tradition
    4. shit Wonders

Strategy B:
    1. choose Japan
    2. tech to Samurai
    3. rape and pillage your neighbors

Strategy C:
    1. choose either Egypt/Greek/Babylon
    2. stay on one city for a while
    3. tech to Civil Service
    4. spend all saved up culture on Patronage
    5. buy up the CIty States (they give huge bonuses and can even win wars for you)
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Red12b
    @MB:  
    You should get another city up and running soon, A good rule of thumb is to get your last built city up to at least three, four if you want to but isn't needed, and get another settler, so you always have good land,  
    Use the city that has the most production, (City's near marble/gems, build mines on hills that increases the production value of the tile,) 
    Then use that as a wonder machine, and once later in the game a unit factory.  
    On average I usually get up to 6 city's, more or less depending on the situation, 
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Red12b
    @KimChi4U:  
    Buy tiles early in the city's age to grab the land to work on as soon as the city can use it, maximum efficiency, growth = awesome.   
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mike
    @Red12b I have three cities that I built and then annexed two more...I didn't choose very prime locations to settle in though. Next time.
    sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By sins_of_mosin

How do you guys handle the upkeep of a large army?  I think my problem is I want to build every building in every city so the buidling upkeep gets stupid crazy. 

Say you had five cities and you had military agressive civs next to you, what would you build in each city?
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Red12b
    @MB:  
    there's always a next time... 

so you're liking it then?
    KimChi4U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KimChi4U

Now that I've had a little time to explore the world of Civ, I've taken the strategy of queuing up buildings and wonders to build and buying workers and settlers when I get the money. I have a few roving units that take out barbarians (best thing ever is having your scout find an ancient ruins that gives you a weapons upgrade....instant archer).  

Germany was to the north of me and Persia to the south. They must have had a secret pact because they declared war on me at the same time. I was able to defend my 4 cities easily by placing units on the other side of rivers and letting them come to me. Now I'm going to start building a few catapults and pikemen to punish these guys. 

This game is so addictive.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mike
    @Red12b yeah, s lot. My new foreign policy for city-states that don't like me is to burn them to the ground. I'll add you on Steam.
    Slaneesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Slaneesh

Pick japan. Get Steel- Train 5 samurai. Take over whoevers your enemy

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Red12b
    @MB said:
    " @Red12b yeah, s lot. My new foreign policy for city-states that don't like me is to burn them to the ground. I'll add you on Steam. "
    My best mate (flatmate) wants kinect support one day for the negotiations of surrender of empire civs, he wants to do this in the endgame when he makes the surrendering empire his bitch. 

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Tennmuerti said:
    " Strategy B:
    1. choose Japan
    2. tech to Samurai
    3. rape and pillage your neighbors  "
    This, except DO NOT go into the Renaissance era until you have made an army of Samurai to eventually upgrade. Samurai keep their ability to generate Great Generals quickly even after upgrading them. I wish you could build obsoleted units.
    mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By mosdl
    @sins_of_mosin said:
    " How do you guys handle the upkeep of a large army?  I think my problem is I want to build every building in every city so the buidling upkeep gets stupid crazy.  Say you had five cities and you had military agressive civs next to you, what would you build in each city? "
    You want to tech to whatever gives you markets/banks.  Also, building trading posts using workers and making sure those tiles are being worked by citizens.  Also trading resources for gold helps.
    Saseav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Saseav
    @KimChi4U said:
    "

As well, I was wondering about buying land tiles. I can see the benefit to buying tiles to get access to resources, but what other purpose would buying tiles serve? Other than perhaps blocking off routes for your competitors or connecting your different cities together, I don't see buying tiles important beyond that. Would a cities' growth be halted if the culture wasn't enough on its own to expand borders? I had heard that other cities couldn't be taken over by culture a la Civ4 so I guess my question is: Does buying up a whole bunch of tiles around a city serve a purpose? 

What victories have you gotten and what have you done to get there? I played a little Civ4 recently to get me in the Civ mindset but with so many changes I'm wondering what people are doing differently now.

"
    attack. keep attacking. 3 archers, 1-2 swordsmen done. and some horse archers. to win ive been going for domination on first game, couldnt when i realized i forgot to train general research stuff, stopped military for a bit after i took out babylon, india, warsaw, and england, produced a few more to take out city states causing problems for my allies, or causing problems for people i want to be my allies. now waiting on research so i can send all my troops across the sea to some unmet player. and to meet one im going to burn stockholm to the ground.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33  Edited By KaosAngel

...is it better to fully control everything or auto it?

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By Addfwyn
    @KaosAngel:
    Usually it's fine to let your city governor handle what tiles the city works, just make sure you tell it what you want to focus on (Production, gold, science, culture, etc.) and it'll do a fine job of making sure the right tiles are worked. 

For Workers, I prefer to manually control them even though it's a pain, cause sometimes the AI will actually overwrite improvements that I'd rather have had.  It seems to have an odd fetish for farms and trading posts to the exclusion of anything else.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.