Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sid Meier's Civilization V

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 21, 2010

Civilization V brings brand new gameplay elements to this beloved franchise, while maintaining the "just one more turn" mentality.

Game breaking bug? Horses for gold

churper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By churper

While playing my first full game after reaching the industrial age I decided since I wasn't using my 6 horses resources that I maybe I could trade it for gold.  At this point in the game there was only 4 nations left and they all already had unused horses.  I traded the 6 horses for a small amount of gold.  Several turns later a notification said that the nation I previously traded the horses to cancled the deal and returned the horses, but now I had 12 horses instead of 6.  So again I traded the horses for cash and again several turns later the deal was cancled and the number of horses I had doubled.  It appears when the A.I. cancels a deal the horses are returned and added to the base amount of horses.   Currently in my game I have 196 horses.  The A.I. nations are bankrupt because they always take horses on a deep discount and I can do it over and over again.   

I have not had a chance to test this in a different game because I have not made it to the industrial age in anyother save games and it doesn't seem to work with iron.  Can anyone else try this?
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3
    deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

Weird. I'm starting up a new game now, so I'll try it out.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By mosdl

Neat exploit if true.  What difficulty?

churper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By churper
    @mosdl:
    Prince. 

Things are now completely broke, I now have 1322 horses and neither of the two remaining nations will offer me any gold for the horses anymore and I continue to get notifications that the my deals for horses are being cancled.  

Update 
    I just went from 1322 to 1442 horses in one turn
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

This is kind of hilarious, nice find.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By ch3burashka

I always like to imagine what the AI would be thinking if it were human. Imagine the other nation's leaders gathered in their respective White Houses, pulling hair out and yelling about how they're broke, and the bordering nation has all their money, and all the horses.  

"FUCK! Who authorized the horse-gold deal? And who cancelled it? You gave both our horses and our money away, god damn it!"

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By buzz_clik

I want to start a band called Horses for Gold.

thewoj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By thewoj

I just noticed a similar bug, but with Iron. I had an abundance of iron while going for a cultural victory, so I kept giving Ramses some gold and an iron or two every turn to keep him from attacking me. The following turn the deal would be cancelled, and I'd get extra iron back. After a couple of turns I had gone from 6 iron to 24. Then he offered a defensive pact, so I didn't have to bribe him anymore. I just have a bunch of extra iron now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3
    deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

The horses thing totally worked for me, but I didn't get the crazy abundance you guys got.

mattjam3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mattjam3000

Yep I found this a few days ago, and if you exploit it is completely game breaking. I tested this out in one game, I was able to trade my thousands of horses for cities, eventually the other civs only had their capitals left as they will never refuse 2k horses for a city. Its stupid and needs to be fixed, how they never found this in focus testing..

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hunkulese

I don't really get why people get so worked up over single player exploits. If it's game breaking and ruining the game for you then just don't do it. SELF CONTROL PEOPLE!

Rehehelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Rehehelly
    @Hunkulese said:
    " I don't really get why people get so worked up over single player exploits. If it's game breaking and ruining the game for you then just don't do it. SELF CONTROL PEOPLE! "
    Maybe because it shouldn't be in the game to begin with? o_o
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By mikemcn
    @buzz_clik said:
    " I want to start a band called Horses for Gold. "
    I want you to start a band called Horses for Gold.
    vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#14  Edited By vager

Horses are the hot new commodity. People will do ANYTHING to have a horse. 
    I'd give you my entire nation for a horse. 

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By finstern
    @churper said:
    " @mosdl: Prince.  Things are now completely broke, I now have 1322 horses and neither of the two remaining nations will offer me any gold for the horses anymore and I continue to get notifications that the my deals for horses are being cancled.   Update I just went from 1322 to 1442 horses in one turn "
    You've over saturated the market. 

Basic economics :P
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @Vager said:
    " Horses are the hot new commodity. People will do ANYTHING to have a horse. I'd give you my entire nation for a horse.  "
    Then Civ 5 is the game for you!
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By thatfrood

yeah, the ai is hard-coded to always buy strategic resources. The doubling thing is hilarious, though.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Jimbo

I had a weird bug during my campaign, and mine wasn't even weird in a good way.  I was playing on the Huge Earth map and Persia was taking over everything and getting ahead of me on points, so I went to stop them.  After I'd taken about 3 cities and killed a bunch of their army, he offered his whole empire apart from the capital (about 40 cities) in return for peace.  That seemed weird enough but whatevs, I accept it and go through the cities liberating the city-states and puppeting everything else.  

When I (eventually) finish that I go to hit the CHOOSE PRODUCTION button and it just refuses to go anywhere.  Sigh.  Eventually I realise that it's trying to get me to 'choose production' for a puppet city, which you can't do.  But not being able to do that also meant I couldn't end the turn either, so the game was effectively broken.  In the end I had no choice but to go back through all of the cities and annex them one by one, just so I could get the CHOOSE PRODUCTION button to do something.  This gave me about -250 unhappiness, -250 income and pretty much fucked my previously healthy empire.  So then I had to go back through them all again and raze them to the ground.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.