Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Silent Hill HD Collection

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Mar 20, 2012

The second and third Silent Hill games come to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in Silent Hill HD Collection with new high-definition graphics and voice acting.

Trying to decide if I should get into these games

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Sackmanjones

So I have never touched a silent hill game or even see anyone play it before. However there is no better way to start than an hd collection. So like I said I have never played Silent Hill but Resident Evil is my favorite video game series. I'm just curious if I would enjoy silent hill since I do love RE do much. Thanks for any help you can give me.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By CptBedlam

If you like the slow gameplay of the early RE games, then yes, you might like SH2/3. These games are even slower and more focussed on mood, puzzle solving and exploration.

Personally, I love SH2. SH3 is pretty good, too, but it is kinda like the second part of SH1 which is missing in the collection. SH2 stands for itself.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By WilltheMagicAsian

Yes, but remember to switch to the original voice acting for SH2 HD.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @WilltheMagicAsian: There is new voice acting?
    Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Shun_Akiyama

Do you like the first three Resident Evil games?

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By sub_o

Silent Hill is totally different breed from Resident Evil.

In Silent Hill, combat is clunky and awkward (a design decision), and you're supposed to run away from enemies. The game itself is arguably scarier than Resident Evil, while Resident Evil has more monster closet moments, Silent Hill has a scary atmosphere throughout the game.

Here's a video of 1UP members play thru Silent Hill 2 from the HD collection.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MikeGosot
    @CptBedlam said:

If you like the slow gameplay of the early RE games, then yes, you might like SH2/3. These games are even slower and more focussed on mood, puzzle solving and exploration.

Personally, I love SH2. SH3 is pretty good, too, but it is kinda like the second part of SH1 which is missing in the collection. SH2 stands for itself.

Would you recommend SH3 for people who finished Shattered Memories? I don't want to but the collection just for one game, so it would be good to know if i can understand the history of SH3.
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Shun_Akiyama: Yup. Played through all 3 last year and just finished the remake about a month ago
    Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WilltheMagicAsian

@Sackmanjones: Yep, the original VA for SH2 wasn't even going to be in the HD collection until there was a public outcry, I think even the original voice actors wanted the old voice acting be in the game, I can't quite remember. But only SH2 is going to have the original voice acting because they couldn't reach or get the VA for Heather to sign off on it. So SH3 will be new VA only.

Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Shun_Akiyama
    @Sackmanjones said:
    @Shun_Akiyama: Yup. Played through all 3 last year and just finished the remake about a month ago
    than you will like these games
    ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By ShaggE

You lucky dog. I'd love to re-first-time Silent Hill 2 and 3.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By BlackLagoon

How punishing are the games? Is it RE-style where random exploring rather than following the optimal path typically means fighting too many enemies, which leads to using too much ammo/health/etc. and ending up forced to restart, or do you have a decent shot completing them in one go without a walkthrough?

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Meowayne

@BlackLagoon said:

How punishing are the games? Is it RE-style where random exploring rather than following the optimal path typically means fighting too many enemies, which leads to using too much ammo/health/etc. and ending up forced to restart, or do you have a decent shot completing them in one go without a walkthrough?

Yes, absolutely. Enemies are very easy to avoid with the flashlight turned off, they stay dead once killed, and though you don't have nearly enough ammo to kill them all, you won't want or need to.

SH is not about killing or being good at killing. You can also adjust the combat difficulty and puzzle difficulty seperately.

master_prophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By master_prophet

@Sackmanjones: Silent Hill has always had a more scary atmosphere and an overall creep factor, much bigger then the Resident Evil series. It is a shame that no one has recreated the first game (it was attempted on the Wii I guess), because that story and that game will always be the creepiest of the series. 2 is an excellent game, 3 I wasn't a huge fan of back when it was released but I'm willing to give it another shot. It's a damn shame that this package doesn't include The Room though, as that was my favorite in this series, yet many have a love/hate relationship with that game. But I would say if you are looking to get into this series, start with this collection before playing the newest iteration: Downpour. I liked it quite a bit, but you want to see what the series was first.

fuzzypumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By fuzzypumpkin

they're both fuckin fucktastic

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By nohthink

@Sackmanjones: Dude I'm totally with you. I'm still contemplating about it too

foghorn6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 33

#17  Edited By foghorn6

@MikeGosot said:

@CptBedlam said:

Would you recommend SH3 for people who finished Shattered Memories? I don't want to but the collection just for one game, so it would be good to know if i can understand the history of SH3.

The original Silent Hill and Shattered Memories are very different. I do not recall Shattered Memories getting into the mythos of Silent Hill much if at all. Silent Hill 3 has its own way of retelling the main plot points of Silent Hill, usually through notes found or cutscences used as exposition. It just might take you a bit to get familiar with the different characters and their motivations.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.