Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Silent Hills

Game » consists of 0 releases.

What was to be a new entry in the Silent Hill franchise for the PS4 involving Hideo Kojima, Guillermo Del Toro, and Norman Reedus, was officially cancelled on April 27, 2015. The 'PT' demo of the game has also been taken off PSN.

Silent Hills Is Officially Dead

• 175 results
    ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Huh? Konami? What's going on with that Konami?

I hope a THQ type of thing happens where they wind up selling off their IPs to other companies. Silent Hill deserves someone who wants to make something good out of it, I mean, what the hell were the last few things to happen to that game? Canceled? Terrible HD ports? Some stupid over head Vita game? Just give it to someone else, anyone else.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Wow, i'm not one for horror games, but this seems incredibly disappointing.

What on earth happened between Konami and Kojima? Did he shoot someone's dog?

If by shoot someone's dog, you mean "told people he wasnt really interested in doing MGS games anymore" than...yes.

VargasPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poncho90 said:

They need a miracle if they want to turn this around.

konami's doing fine as a company, they simply don't want to make games anymore.

I dunno man... if it was simply a matter of wanting out of video game development, all the drama surrounding Kojima leaving and taking his name off the MGS packaging/promotion doesn't seem to fit. Between that, and now this news, whatever beef Konami has with Kojima is definitely more than a simple exit from the game dev business.

Wagrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If this is anything other than Konami pulling out of video games entirely I will be fucking shocked.

dynamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

RIP.T.

BrianP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least this saves me the mental trauma of seeing if I can make it through a whole game possibly as freaky as P.T.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dr_mantas said:

Wow, i'm not one for horror games, but this seems incredibly disappointing.

What on earth happened between Konami and Kojima? Did he shoot someone's dog?

If by shoot someone's dog, you mean "told people he wasnt really interested in doing MGS games anymore" than...yes.

Rather Konami dont want to do MGS anymore, or any AAA game at all.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, this week's podcast is going to have a lot to cover.

Is it wrong that I'm a little excited for it?

i find it funny, seems like they have alternating podcasts of no news and shit loads of news just cause of the timing of it.

Rirse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

You know, I kinda wished Konami was the one who released Udraw a few years ago now. So many great franchise stuck in their rotting corpse.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if Kojima will be able to walk away with the Fox Engine if Konami kill off its game division? And I guess maybe PES will go away too and EA will finally get access to stuff like the Champions League license.

Marblez3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well... shit.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only horror thing I've been interested in in years cancelled, huh? Konami seems like it is just haemorrhaging all over the place. Someone put it out of its misery...perhaps with a lead pipe or 2 x 4.

I feel like The Patriot would be a fitting misery outputter.

noizy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you just ignore pre-release news and announcements, it's like nothing happened.

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#64  Edited By Sunjammer

As if Silent Hills was ever going to break even, much less make a profit. That series has never sold that well.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Ugh, this is certainly a bummer but yeah, I knew once all of these things about Kojima leaving were showing up that this game would be in serious jeopardy. I wish Konami would just sell off their rights of silent hill and MGS and full escape the world of video games. they can focus on their gyms or clubs or whatever they are doing to make money

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

The last part, about them removing the company from NYSE, seems odd. Unless it's true that they just had no incentive to stay there. It's still kind of odd, though.

This seems like a weird time to be doing all of this when MGSV isn't even out. It almost seems like it would hurt sales. Why would they shoot themselves in the foot like that before the game is even out? Could they really not wait to unfold all of this drama when the game was done?

While it makes you wonder what this means for the future of their company, if they're still on the other exchanges I assume that isn't actually any indication, but I don't know enough about big business to say one way or another. It's just really strange they're doing all of this right now.

Or is this another case of Japan not understanding the world now and not realizing what all of this does as far as PR for their company?

I just don't know what to think. From the outside it seemed like Konami was being pretty smart these past few years. It's very strange how this is all unfolding.

Lastly I am not for them selling the IP of Silent Hill. If only because if Konami can't seem to get it back on track, I know for certain no one else will either. The last several games were made by various other developers and they were mostly not that good for one reason or another. It seems like they want to either innovate on the formula too much, and ruin the game in the process, or they just don't get what made the game so special in the first place.

I just don't think another developer having the IP would actually do that series any more good than Konami retaining it does. I've seen this kind of thing enough to know that that doesn't end as well as people are seeming to think it does.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Belegorm

@ripelivejam said:
    @poncho90 said:

They need a miracle if they want to turn this around.

konami's doing fine as a company, they simply don't want to make games anymore.

Their yugioh card crap was making them $$$ but lately missteps with that has made a ton of people who used to spend a lot of money on it sell their current cards and quit that game. So now they don't want to make video games, or card games.

scraz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stolen from Neo-Gaf

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-583dfbc21c8a9
    deactivated-583dfbc21c8a9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Homie is dead and gone.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Quipido

RIP in peace Konami :,-(

Rest in peace in peace? Sounds like the ATM machine debacle all over again!

london_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Konami is sucking major D!

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phished0ne: Kojima's been telling interviewers that he doesn't want to make any more metal gear for more than a decade though. Like, no matter what question the ask him, that's his reply. That's probably not news to the people at the top of konami.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, video games are in a weird place right now. Many of the great developers of my youth are shambling husks of their former selves.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By John1912

So sad! This is like the one shot the game/series had at being a masterpiece! Now its shoved into the marginal at best category its been stuck in since SH3. Though I actually kinda loved Downpour :-/ I cant believe Konami fucked this up so badly. Seriously, at this point with out Kojima, they should just shut down, and sell their IPs. They have officially run the company into the ground. Which is sad, they made some amazing games over the years. Was so looking forward to this game. Eat a bag of dicks Konami!

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@porjos said:

This just blows. Out of curiosity, I wonder how deep they were into this game financially?

Obviously no way to know for sure, but PT itself couldn't have been cheap to produce, and if they were putting something that crazy and polished out there to tease the game I would bet they had some significant resources leveraged against Silent Hills already.

This is super disappointing to me. I've never been a huge MGS/Kojima fan, but I love Del Toro and I think Kojima probably could have brought a good kind of "video game surrealism" to the creepy horror design sense that Del Toro does so well. I really hope the two manage to come together on another project somewhere. A dark horror game seems as much a departure from Metal Gear as Kojima could get if he was truly looking for a change of pace after helming that series for so long.

Im sure it was very cheap to make. It was done with the Fox Engine, and uses the same hallway over and over.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

That really sucks. Though the thumbnail on the front page for this looked a lot like the batman thumbnail above it, so maybe Silent Hills's spirit lives on in Arkham Knight.

No Caption Provided

seannao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This whole thing has made some sense, but it feels so unreal anyway.

BullyDemise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TWISTEDH34T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ugh, every time I find a game for the PS4 I'm truly interested in it either ends up: being not very good, delayed or cancelled. Guess I'll just wait for a PS4 sale instead of waiting for games I want to play to come out, cause I don't want to buy a full price PS4 for just Bloodborne. :(

Seeric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I think the worst part of this whole thing may very well be the simple fact that Konami will likely carry on just fine, and in all probability even turn more of a profit than usual, by continuing to cancel major products while rapidly sliding ever closer to being a company which more or less exclusively makes mobile games and pachinko machines.

Part of this really is just spitefulness on my part as I'm not even a big fan of Silent Hill, but I am very, very tired of seeing companies utterly abandon their franchises or turn them into casual mobile shells of their former selves (though they will certainly hold on to the copyrights and licenses for said franchises with the tightest grip imaginable).

However, another part of this is the more legitimate concern that this is continuing to become a profitable trend; Konami didn't cancel this game because they were 'mad at Kojima' - they cancelled it because they didn't see value in it (and possibly the series as a whole) beyond being something to attach Kojima's name to. It is very scary to me that 'playing it safe' by sticking to mobile games and/or activities not even related to video games is not only a very easy option for many of the existing major video game companies to take, but also an appealingly successful and profitable one.

I do not want to see every company I've loved while growing up become another Zynga.

Avatar image for iron_fist_angel
    iron_fist_angel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well that certainly sucks but at least P.T. will remain one of the most enjoyable things I've played in years.

banicabolnica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ah Konami... >_< basterds

Kumatose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Kumatose

Silent Hills was one of my most anticipated titles if only because I wanted to see what del Toro (and Kojima) would produce. I loved the first two games in the series, but without del Toro's involvement, my interest in a new one vanishes. I'd rather they put the series to rest. The gaming industry has become way way too dominated by established IPs anyway. I'd prefer to see new and interesting stand-alone titles and/or IPs created instead of companies milking their franchises through endless sequels and remakes.

Rich666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Konami is committed to new Silent Hill titles," does this mean that they will hand it off to yet another crappy studio and we will end up with a pile of shit a la Homecoming and Downpour? This was the only game I was looking forward to seeing as Bloodborne has already been released. Way to continue to shit the bed Konami! :D

divergence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that sucks. I was looking forward to that, PT was an awesome teaser demo. I don't know what their financial state is but the future of Konami (and Capcom for that matter) seems a little uncertain. I don't know how you can go so long without releasing anything and only have one or two franchises to hold the tent up with.

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Nardak

There has probably been a change in Konami leadership or they just dont want to budget as much cash anymore for the Metal Gear games than they have done in the past.

It is unfortunate that we dont get the new Silent Hills game because of this rift between Kojima and Konami but I think that all in all we have had a pretty nice run of Metal Gear games.

This gives Kojima finally a chance to do something else besides Metal Gear series.

Avatar image for deactivated-640902c98a1cd
    deactivated-640902c98a1cd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really really sucks. My opinion of Konami has been wavering for a while now, but this is just beyond every other company I've been disappointed in. Capcom, Square Enix, etc; none of it compares to this :(

Busto1299

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, this is unfortunate.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3
    deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bjacks27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shozo: it doesn't mean they are filing for chapter eleven. The nyse isn't their primary market so they are likely delisting from it to save on filing fees which are astronomical in the U.S. In this particular case it doesn't seem to be great news but in a lot of cases with foreign companies it basically means nothing

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just FYI, don't read too much into stock delisting. I think it would be a big deal if they were an American company and/or the delisting wasn't voluntary. From what I gather, Konami ADS ("American Depository Shares") aren't going away, they'll just be traded OTC instead of on NYSE (BTW this is the structure Nintendo employs). Konami's filing suggests that recent changes in Japan's regulatory structure have made it easier for international investors to trade directly in the Tokyo Stock Exchange, meaning that there's less reason to even have ADS in today's world.

DHIATENSOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Square Enix have done some dumb shit over the years but it's only them, and I guess From Software, from the Japanese 3rd party scene seem to have any sense of ambition left. The rest seem all too happy to retreat in to FTP mobile and handheld. It's so sad. I get that the console market over there is dying, but it's like they can't even be bothered to try and cater for a worldwide market that still yearns for some of that goodness that's particular to Japanese development. Kojima is better off away from the lava-hot mess that is Konami.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lun49gameon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So is Konami just gonna make money from pachinko machines and YuGIOH cards now?

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

Words cannot express my disappointment over this whole mess. Silent Hills may have well been one of my most anticipated games of all time, given my love for the series and based on everyone involved. P.T. is one of the most creative and terrifying horror experiences I've played in years, and it was all for naught. I was so excited to see Silent Hills potentially usher in a new era of big legitimate horror games making a comeback. Konami can fuck right the fuck off with this crap. They're even worse than Capcom at this point. As many others have said, they should just sell off their IPs to companies that are interested in actually doing anything with them.

BatmanBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This may be incredibly cynical of me but I've always thought that P.T would end up being better than the final game. Now, one way or the other, I'm right.

Bummer...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.