Where do I begin?

#1 Posted by MjHealy (1817 posts) -

I watch the demo of Sim City during the E3 EA press event and it looks very tasty. However, since it isn't out for a while and my little laptop isn't up to much, where should a new-comer to the series start of? Go in deep or try one of the more easier iterations?

#2 Posted by Getz (2986 posts) -

Rollercoaster Tycoon

#3 Posted by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

If you think your laptop can handle it, Simcity 4 or Cities XL is probably your best place to start if you're new to city development sims. Cities XL 2012 is probably the closest thing to what the new Simcity is going for (it's a resource hog once your city starts to grow, be warned).

If your laptop is on the low end, or you just want a cheap game to get introduced to simcity with that teaches you the basics of how residential / industrial / commercial zoning works, Simcity 2000 or Simcity 3000 should do just fine.

#4 Posted by squirrelnacho (329 posts) -

@MjHealy said:

I watch the demo of Sim City during the E3 EA press event and it looks very tasty. However, since it isn't out for a while and my little laptop isn't up to much, where should a new-comer to the series start of? Go in deep or try one of the more easier iterations?

You never played a SimCity game? SimCity 4, is the best.

#5 Posted by RVonE (4601 posts) -

Sim City 2000 or bust!

#6 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

3000 is the best starting point.

#7 Posted by Animasta (14635 posts) -

simcity 4 is the best but it is also not very silly.

There are no people telling you that you can't cut back on funding! YOU'LL REGRET THIS!

#8 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

I fucking suck at SimCity games.

#9 Posted by Dalai (6980 posts) -

If you're looking for a challenge and a more complex game, start with SimCity 4. If you want something more laid back and with that Maxis humor, go with either 2000 or 3000.

#10 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

SimCity 4 also has a huge modding community.

#11 Edited by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

Anything but Societies is a good place to start. They are all such fantastic games. 3000 Unlimited is still my favorite though.

Also if you have a DS the sim city game on there is fantastic. If I recall correctly it's an updated version of 3000.

#12 Edited by MonetaryDread (1987 posts) -

SimCIty 4 is the best entry point.  The games are practically the same every time, but 4 looks the best, with the easiest to use interface.

#13 Posted by MikkaQ (10263 posts) -

I feel like a minority for saying 3000 is the best one, but hey. That's my suggestion. It's an easy game to get into as well.

@devilzrule27 said:

Anything but Societies is a good place to start. They are all such fantastic games. 3000 Unlimited is still my favorite though.

Yeah, okay! Good to know people have taste.

#14 Posted by mandude (2667 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

I fucking suck at SimCity games.

The game is actually a sort of social commentary on how every country is inherently flawed and how they will eventually, without fail, all collapse in on themselves. Either that or I fucking suck too.

#15 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

Sim city 4 is great but a little complicated for beginners, I would try out sim city 2000 that is on GOG and go from there onto 4.

#16 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

Go hard or go home! Start with SimCity4

#17 Posted by believer258 (11564 posts) -

SimCity 4. It will run on pretty much anything and it's the best out of them all.

#18 Posted by Chromium (29 posts) -

SimCity 4, for the mods when you get bored.

#19 Posted by ShaggE (6295 posts) -

SimTown. Easiest start you can make.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.