Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Skullgirls

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released Apr 10, 2012

Take control of fierce female warriors in a 1940s dark Deco world in this stylish indie fighting game developed by (and for) hardcore fighting game enthusiasts.

So apparently this game has no in game move list.

• 106 results
    HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By HadesTimes

So here is the link to a FULL move list for EVERY character. http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Skullgirls

Currently the one on the Skullgirls site is a little old.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By PixelPrinny

Link for people too lazy to copy/paste: http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Skullgirls

I was reading that the game didn't have an in-game move list and thought, "For a game that is priding itself on being so new user friendly and teaching people fighting games, how do you forget that...?"

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

If this is true then that's a pretty big misstep

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By soldierg654342

That's fucking stupid.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Hector

That should've definitely have been included. It's the whole purpose for a training mode.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BraveToaster

I have the move list right here.

Mash those fucking buttons.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Milkman

In other news, I won't be playing this game.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Drebin_893

@SoldierG654342 said:

That's fucking stupid.

HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HarlechQuinn

Hmmmh... That's a mayor setback for my interest in this game, as I really don't miss the times when we had dozens of printed or even handwritten sheets with movelists lying around...

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

If true that is silly considering they have this robust training mode to teach newcomers the intricacies of fighting games. Seems counter intuitive.

strangone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By strangone

Apparently they couldn't get them in in time. Movelists will be patched in later.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#14  Edited By Hailinel

Whoopsie!

MasterMind34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MasterMind34

It's been stated by the dev team that they didn't put in a movelist because they'd rather spend their limited resources implementing things that are actually important, like not-broken online play, an intelligent system to stop infintes, or hitboxes and frame data in training mode. Mike Z estimated it'd take AT LEAST 2 more weeks to program, make art assets, translate, etc everything needed for movelists for each character. The game's already been delayed numerous times and they just want to get it out so people can play it. He's also said movelists (and several other things) be patched in shortly after launch.

Reverge will be making PDF's for each character and console with complete movelists and character bios. Or you could just, oh I dunno, look them up on the internet you're using right now. There's only eight characters and 99% of the inputs are either quarter circles or dragon punch motions. Hell, you could probably write them all down in about 2 minutes.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By stinky

@strangone: makes sense.

seems a difficult jpg to implement.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HadesTimes

Everyone has to remember this game was created by a very small team. This isn't like Capcom or Namco where a hundred people worked on it. There are only eight characters and by the look of the moves they aren't difficult to remember. Its not like Mortal Kombat or KOF where everyone has drastically different move sets and there are 30 characters.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By sickVisionz

I was interested in this game but this seems like a glaring omission. If they missed something this huge, how many smaller things got missed as well. I checked out another thread in this forum that says that you can only make two person lobbies in the game.

Some of this stuff is crazy considering what they've said about the game. It's going to be very user friendly to new players... but it doesn't even include a move list to show people basic attacks in the game. It's built from the ground up by fighting game pros to be ultimate fighting game experience... but then you can only have two person lobbies, because no real gamers play in lobbies and nobody who's into fighting games would ever want a tournament like structure, right?

For all the delays, this games seems like it's rushed out the door in a pretty janky state and lacking basic features, some of which have been standard in fighters since the SNES days.

MasterMind34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MasterMind34

@sickVisionz: Once again, they didn't "miss" it, they decided to include it at a later date because there were other, more important things to put in. Regarding the two person lobbies, they will also patch those to be larger. There's been a lot of talk about having everyone in the lobby fighting someone else in the lobby at all times instead of just having 2 people fight and everyone else watch. It's also worth noting that the entire "online play" division of the development team consists of exactly one person. This isn't Capcom or NetherRealm where they can have 20+ people working on the online (and somehow they still can't manage to make it work...)

Willtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Willtron

I don't care how small your team is. That's fucking pathetic.

MasterMind34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MasterMind34

@Willtron:Must be nice living is a world where there's no such thing as budgets or deadlines.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By TechHits

@MasterMind34: That would be be all fine and good but a move list for a fighting game, especially for a new ip, is kind of important.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By laserbolts

I really dont know much about game developement and probably shouldn't ask this question but does it really take up that much time and resources to add move lists to a fighting game?

MasterMind34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MasterMind34

@TechHits: You can also find them online very easily or, if you've played a good amount of fighting games, figure out most of them with a minute or two in training mode. They'll be up on the game's website (which it'll refer you to during the tutorial mode), on various wikis, or on those printable PDF's I mentioned. For the limited time and money they had, I'd rather the team work on something like in-game hitboxes and frame data (things that are usually just guessed at or assumed and are very important to the game) than something I can get by spending 5 seconds on Google and writing it down on paper.

MasterMind34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MasterMind34

@laserbolts: To quote Mike Z, the project lead, himself:

"It's the actual screen UI, making it reflect the character you're using, figuring out how to display QCTs and DPs and getting graphics for them, changing the button icons for the different consoles, laying out the text and localizing it and making sure it all fits, ensuring the contents display properly everywhere it's supposed to at every screen resolution, updating it when things change, checking it for accuracy as new characters are added...and even if it were easy, there are other things that are more important that I would rather do for the game first if time magically became available."

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Well, this certainly won't help the limited number of sales this game was already going to get.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HadesTimes

I wasn't going to troll or anything but come on guys; buy a printer. I've all ready given you the complete move list link. It's not like it's 1993 and we have to figure it out for ourselves or something; geez... The game is $15 not $60.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Petiew

Pretty unfortunate but understandable. Still going to get it day one regardless.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By apathylad

I heard this game had a robust tutorial. How can they implement that without a move list?

Oh, well. I'll still play it and do some mashing.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BrockNRolla

@BraveToaster said:

I have the move list right here.

Mash those fucking buttons.

How I feel about every fighting game.

Except Smash Bros. That's a thinking man's game. (Obviously being a bit sarcastic, but for real, SB was a science for me.)

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By laserbolts

@MasterMind34: ahh ok I guess there is alot more to it than I thought. A bummer either way but oh well.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Displaying text in a menu option is 2 weeks work?

Are the programming this game via Siri?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

As long as the moves are in the tutorial, this is pretty much a non-issue, IMO.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Guess what other game didn't have a move list, Super Smash Bros.

If every character only has a few identical inputs to activate special moves you don't need a move list. In fact the concept of the move list is an incredibly stupid, archaic relic left over from the arcade days that could be easily removed in ALL fighting games if the controls were simplified. Having every character's special move be a quarter circle doesn't make the game less challenging, it just makes it more user friendly.

Also, they can just teach you the fucking inputs in the tutorial because you don't need a move list to have a move tutorial in the game.

I'm starting to think you guys are genuinely retarded.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By Animasta

@LordXavierBritish: yeah I totally remember 100% of every character's moves from the tutorial...

I mean this obviously isn't the worst problem the game has, but still!

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@Animasta said:

@LordXavierBritish: yeah I totally remember 100% of every character's moves from the tutorial...

I mean this obviously isn't the worst problem the game has, but still!

You can't pause an online match to look up a move.

If you can't memorize a few moves for the one character you're going to fight with you're doing fighting games wrong.
    TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TechHits

@MasterMind34: the problem with fighting games, something this game said it wanted to address, is that all the information on them can only be found outside of the game itself. In a time when fighting game trials are trying to teach bnb's and basic links this game fails to have even a move list at launch, I find it odd.

FEnergyLegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FEnergyLegs

ON NO NO INGAME MOVELIST HOW WILL I LEARN MY CHARACTERS ITS NOT LIKE EVERY FIGHTING GAME EVER DOESNT USE THE SAME INPUTS AND LEARNING MOVES SHIT TAKES LIKE FIVE MINUTES AND COMES NATURALLY WHEN ACTALLY LEARNING HOW TO USE A CHARACTER

HOW DO I SHORYUKEN GUYS

GUYS

GUYYYSSSSSS

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By AngelN7

You know how can you make a user friendly fighting game? make a rhythm game that plays like a fighting game, use only 4 buttons and instead of memorizing list of moves each move follows a rhythm , could also colors in the background to keep track of what buttons you're pressing, I don't know you don't have to follow old methods to teach the same thing.

tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By tim_the_corsair
    @FEnergyLegs

ON NO NO INGAME MOVELIST HOW WILL I LEARN MY CHARACTERS ITS NOT LIKE EVERY FIGHTING GAME EVER DOESNT USE THE SAME INPUTS AND LEARNING MOVES SHIT TAKES LIKE FIVE MINUTES AND COMES NATURALLY WHEN ACTALLY LEARNING HOW TO USE A CHARACTER

HOW DO I SHORYUKEN GUYS

GUYS

GUYYYSSSSSS

PUTTING IN A BASIC TEXT MOVELIST FOR NEW PLAYERS TO HELP THEM LEARN MOVES IN YOUR FIGHTING GAME THAT IS SEEKING TO ADDRESS NEW PLAYERS AND THE DIFFICULTY CURVE IN FIGHTING GAMES SURE IS DUMB, RIGHT?

ESPECIALY SINCE NO FIGHTING GAME EVER HAS FEATURED (OR HAD THE POTENTIAL TO FEATURE VIA DLC AT A LATER DATE) A CHARACTER THAT USES ANYTHING BUT QUARTER-CIRCLES FOR THEIR SPECIAL MOVES, RIGHT?

GUYS?

GUYYYYYYSSSSSSSSS?

Seriously, it's a basic, standard option that should be in the game. If they don't have time to do up button graphics and shit, then just write punch and invest in the arrows from Wingdings.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#41  Edited By StarvingGamer

This is just to force all of us to buy the official Brady guide.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Bestostero

oh come on, in the age of the internet, everything will be available online shortly after release anyways lol

Avatar image for captaininvictus
    CaptainInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By CaptainInvictus

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

Seriously, it's a basic, standard option that should be in the game. If they don't have time to do up button graphics and shit, then just write punch and invest in the arrows from Wingdings.

Did you not read any of what was said by Mike Z himself? Or are you blatantly being an argumentative retard because someone posted an explanation to counter your argument by the game maker himself and you just want to argue for the sake of arguing?

They literally said it'll be in the very first patch the game will have. They had a lot of work to do to get the game in under the deadline, and had to cut something. Movelists are useful but ultimately not essential to the playability of the game. There's also the problem with localization, which with a game being released in multiple countries simultaneously, combined with Reverge Lab's insistence on accurate translations, means a lot of time spent properly translating each move so that it's understandable in the other languages the game will be in, I believe they said INCLUDING puns, which is a big hurdle for translators. And then combine that with all the things Mike Z said, and you've got a LOT of work handling text when everyone involved is probably completely pressed for time doing other things.

Nevermind what's been stated repeatedly, that the movelists are available online. They will be in the final game SOON. This is not the end of the world, stop being a bunch of headless chickens about a nonessential part of a game.

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#44  Edited By MikeFightNight

@CaptainInvictus: ." Movelists are useful but ultimately not essential to the playability of the game."

Wha..?

I love fighting games, I will buy this day one, but not having a movelist in from day one just seems totally insane. The first thing I do when I get a fighting game is hit practice mode and learn the moves and work on combos. It's fine, I will print off the movelist. But for other people who just buy the game and see no move list that is a big mis step.

Either way I can't wait to play it! Looks like the closest thing i'll get to a Darkstalkers game with fast paced action and crazy hand drawn 2-D animation.

FEnergyLegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By FEnergyLegs

@Freshbandito: OH NO THIS PERSONS JOKE WASNT CLEVER ENOUGH TO MEET THE GIANT BOMB STANDARDS (read: my standards) SO IM GONNA GO AHEAD AND HIT REPLY HERE AN DTHEN PUT AN EQUAL AMOUNT OF EFFORT BUT BE CLEARLY MORALLY SUPERIOR WHEN I TELL THEM OFF BUT THEN NOT CONTRIBUTE IN THE SLIGHTEST TO A VIDEO GAME DISCUSSION ABOUT VIDEO GAMES

@Tim_the_Corsair: Because being able to throw a fireball is the only necessary piece of information for playing fighting games, right? It's not like there's a plethora of other more complicated mechanics that are more important and that the game does a great job of handling for new players.

Also charge moves are already in. No DLC required.

tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By tim_the_corsair
    @CaptainInvictus

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

Did you not read any of what was said by Mike Z himself? Or are you blatantly being an argumentative retard because someone posted an explanation to counter your argument by the game maker himself and you just want to argue for the sake of arguing?

They literally said it'll be in the very first patch the game will have. They had a lot of work to do to get the game in under the deadline, and had to cut something. Movelists are useful but ultimately not essential to the playability of the game. There's also the problem with localization, which with a game being released in multiple countries simultaneously, combined with Reverge Lab's insistence on accurate translations, means a lot of time spent properly translating each move so that it's understandable in the other languages the game will be in, I believe they said INCLUDING puns, which is a big hurdle for translators. And then combine that with all the things Mike Z said, and you've got a LOT of work handling text when everyone involved is probably completely pressed for time doing other things.

Nevermind what's been stated repeatedly, that the movelists are available online. They will be in the final game SOON. This is not the end of the world, stop being a bunch of headless chickens about a nonessential part of a game.

Then they frankly need better time management skills.

What he is listing as blowing out the timeframe could be minimised by cutting corners on it in order to have what is a fairly important feature for a named part of their target audience in the game. It could be prettied up and translated post-release.

Of course, it should have just been done in the first place.

Not saying its the end of the world, but I am saying it is a dumb mistake to make when building and selling a game that you have specifically discussed as being designed to help new players acclimatise to fighting games, in much the same way as saying "we have move lists, but we forgot to do the tutorial mode whoops LOL!" would also be a flaw when targeting a game at that audience.

The petty name calling and lack of acknowledgement that this basic feature is something a game targeting new players should probably have built in just makes you sound like a fanboy.
    TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TechHits

@CaptainInvictus said:

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

I'm a little surprised how emotional people are getting about this.

tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By tim_the_corsair
    @FEnergyLegs

@Freshbandito: OH NO THIS PERSONS JOKE WASNT CLEVER ENOUGH TO MEET THE GIANT BOMB STANDARDS (read: my standards) SO IM GONNA GO AHEAD AND HIT REPLY HERE AN DTHEN PUT AN EQUAL AMOUNT OF EFFORT BUT BE CLEARLY MORALLY SUPERIOR WHEN I TELL THEM OFF BUT THEN NOT CONTRIBUTE IN THE SLIGHTEST TO A VIDEO GAME DISCUSSION ABOUT VIDEO GAMES

@Tim_the_Corsair: Because being able to throw a fireball is the only necessary piece of information for playing fighting games, right? It's not like there's a plethora of other more complicated mechanics that are more important and that the game does a great job of handling for new players.

Also charge moves are already in. No DLC required.

I'm assuming the part of that directed at me is trying to make a point, but I'll be damned if I can find it.

Other aspects of fighting game play are more complex and the game handles instructing that well, ergo teaching the very basics to new players (who, by definition of being new, probably need instruction in the basics) and having an easy reference for them to use isn't important?

Yo dawg, you've never seen a manual car before? I'm not going to talk to you about the gears, clutch, or anything else, but I'm awesome at teaching you about power sliding.
    Avatar image for captaininvictus
    CaptainInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By CaptainInvictus

@TechHits said:

Truly, this is the most worthless style of post. The "heh, you care about A Thing" post.

It's almost as bad as the people simply ignoring the facts in front of their faces, that the move lists won't be in right away but are the first things they're adding after launch due to time constraints. But hey, Giant Bomb Forums. Not exactly surprising people don't RCP here.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By TechHits

@CaptainInvictus said:

@TechHits said:

Truly, this is the most worthless style of post. The "heh, you care about A Thing" post.

It's almost as bad as the people simply ignoring the facts in front of their faces, that the move lists won't be in right away but are the first things they're adding after launch due to time constraints. But hey, Giant Bomb Forums. Not exactly surprising people don't RCP here.

Did you make the game? you can tell me, are you Reverge Labs?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.