Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sleeping Dogs

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Aug 14, 2012

Recreating the thrill of Hong Kong action movies, Sleeping Dogs is an open-world crime adventure that tells the story of undercover officer Wei Shen as he infiltrates a notorious Triad organization in the streets of a fictional Hong Kong.

Was anyone expecting this?

• 59 results
    Avatar image for chilipeppersman
    chilipeppersman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By chilipeppersman

So, Sleeping Dogs? what a great fucking game! Am I the only one who was surprised by how good it is? I mean, it kinda came out of nowhere, and turned out to be very good quality, especially the PC version. Now that aside, the game has not been selling well. No one has been able to get sales numbers for PC, because it is digital only. On consoles, the game didnt even reach 200,00 sales. How is the PC community for this game? Are there a lot of you out there who got it for PC?

Holler back if you got it on PC, and if you got it on the consoles, let me know what you thought too. I rented it on redbox for my xbox the other day and it seemed to retain the fun and fidelity of the game compared to the PC version.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By hbkdx12

Not having played it, i'm not surprised it hasn't sold very well. 

Although i intend to pick this up alongside/after Borderlands 2, this has 'Binary Domain' written all over it, in that it looks extremely generic but in fact that game is a blast but it's generic look hampers it in terms of it's appeal to people who aren't video game enthusiast that do their homework on games and do research and things like that.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By VierasTalo

It isn't digital only on the PC, they have it all over the stores here.

It's also a good game, but as said above, I'm not shocked it didn't sell well. I mean it's a True Crime-game without the pre-existing IP. Most people who knew of it's past had little reason to look forward to it and those who had no idea what it was probably opted to buy something like Darksiders II or so instead.

Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Peanut

I'm with you in that I was totally caught off guard by how awesome it is. The hand to hand combat is fucking great and the shooting is super satisfying once you realize using cover is the worst possible thing you could ever do. I was also surprisingly engaged by Wei and the story in general. I really didn't want it to end, but I was super satisfied when it did. I wanted to stay in that world so much that I ended up S-Ranking it just because I wanted to keep playing. I bought it on 360, but I bought it super late in the month and it was only one of those "Well, I guess" purchases that I figured I'd waste a few hours on before shelving.

They did a really horrible job of showing off what's so fun about it and how it feels different than your typical open world crime game. As said, it totally gives off a Binary Domain feel in that it looks so incredibly generic that it's immediately over looked, but anyone who puts time into it finds there really is something special there.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Hizang

I just beat it, god damn it is a great game. But I understand why it didn't sell, before any reviews popped up this game was not even on my radar. I think I ended up buying it because I had a great deal of money at the time and was in a buying mood, I'm glad I did as it turned out to be one of the best games this year. (So far.)

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By zaccheus

I had hopes for it, but it certainly turned out better than I expected. The cancelation and True Crime connotations kind of hurt it more than anything. All the gameplay they showed of it after the publisher switch was great.

marmalade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By marmalade

After sitting at the logo splash screen for 10 minutes waiting for the main menu to come up, I really enjoy the hour or two I get to play of the game before it crashes. Also this is the first game I tested my new video card with and experiencing such a beautiful world at 60fps after chugging along on a three year old video card is absolutely phenomenal to me. I just wish they'd release a patch to fix these issues as, according to Google, I'm not the only one having them.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By bybeach

I'm older and my reflexes arn't so great. Tired of that kung fu master constantly berating my ass till things work out. That and saving, having a lot of trouble w/that unless I go back to the APT. and sleep. Everytime I have tried to save it seems to ignore it, something as usual like the fighting I am not getting

And I luv this game. Good looking keeps you going different things to do so on so forth....Sleeeping Dogs is a worthwhile videogame!

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By fetchfox

@PSNgamesun said:

awesome game, I really like that they mixed the Japanese language with English kinda like Binary Domain just makes it sound more authentic.

You mean chinese.

Finished the game on PC, beautiful with a good rig. I was really surprised by its quality, though I wish there were more story to it or ways to completely shift and become a true gangster.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Ravenlight

@PSNgamesun said:

awesome game, I really like that they mixed the Japanese language with English kinda like Binary Domain just makes it sound more authentic.

C'mon, buddy.

Nettacki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Nettacki

Bought it on PC over Darksiders 2, and had a blast! Truly a great game worth my $50.

I get the feeling it sold a lot on PC, because it's been on the Top ten of the Top Sellers list on Steam for a while before going down to the top 20. Also, it's apparently a consistent chart-topper in the UK, so it's still a success.

ninnanuam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ninnanuam

I Just S ranked it on 360...and I generally don't go out of my way to S rank.

I bought it the same day i bought Darksiders 2. This is a better game by far. It might even be the best game ive played all year.

Avatar image for nomorehalfmeasuresdoctor
    nomorehalfmeasuresdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought it on steam but I've only played 2 hours of it. Is it really that good? Does the story become really good? I mean the combat while fun is only serviceable as it doesn't go above and beyond to become anything special well right now at least.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#14  Edited By alistercat

@nomorehalfmeasures: You unlock a lot more moves from finding the statues that make the combat much more fun. until then you're just kind of throwing some punches. I was enjoying it even then though, so might not be for you. The story does get better as the game goes on. Lacks the pacing of a GTA game though.

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
    ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

As of right now it's probably my favorite game this year.

Laneyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Laneyy

I got it for the PC and I'm about four hours in and I'm loving it!

Build a new computer this week and it looks amazing on my PC. Great game.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@Ravenlight said:

@PSNgamesun said:

C'mon, buddy.

Are you saying that your average non-Chinese non-Japanese person is supposed to tell those two languages apart? You do realize that to the unfamiliar ear they sound basically the same right? :P

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By fetchfox

@AhmadMetallic: I was gonna say something clever and correct you, but then I've studied Japanese and watched asian cinema since my teens, so anything I'd try to say would be (unintentionally) biased... damn. Though, they are very distinctly different. For me it's like saying that German and English sound the same.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad
    deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Ravenlight said:

@PSNgamesun said:

C'mon, buddy.

Are you saying that your average non-Chinese non-Japanese person is supposed to tell those two languages apart? You do realize that to the unfamiliar ear they sound basically the same right? :P

Sure - someone can mistake Cantonese for Japanese that's fine. But there's somewhat of a problem if you think that Hong Kong is actually in Japan.

felakuti4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By felakuti4life

I enjoyed Sleeping Dogs more than Darksiders 2 and Borderlands 2, which is the exact opposite of how I thought it was going to go.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CaptainCody

Game of the year contender in my opinion. If GTA4 was worthy of scoring 10/10s and I think Sleeping Dogs takes a massive shit on it then I believe that says something about both games.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22  Edited By veektarius

Between Sleeping Dogs and Saint's Row 3 (Sleeping Dogs being the better of the two), I finally picked up GTA 4 when it went on a Steam Sale for $5. I realize that game came first, but it is seriously frustrating to play beside those two.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Rafaelfc

@Veektarius said:

Between Sleeping Dogs and Saint's Row 3 (Sleeping Dogs being the better of the two), I finally picked up GTA 4 when it went on a Steam Sale for $5. I realize that game came first, but it is seriously frustrating to play beside those two.

I have GTA IV since forever in my pile of shame, and I seriously can't go back to it at all, it just plays like shit compared to newer games and the checkpointing is atrocious.

On another note, Sleeping Dogs totally creeped up on me, I decided to check it out for the unusual setting, and it became one of my favorite games this year. The final 3 missions specifically have some awesome moments, really well done.

I S ranked this game and had a blast doing it.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By zaccheus

@Rafaelfc said:

I have GTA IV since forever in my pile of shame, and I seriously can't go back to it at all, it just plays like shit compared to newer games and the checkpointing is atrocious.

I'm in the same boat. I was late to the party and GTA IV is just unplayable now. Movement is shitty, shooting is awful and like you mentioned checkpoints are atrocious. It's a shame really, but that game has aged really badly really fast. On topic: Sleeping Dogs is still great.

Ace20A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ace20A

One word: AWESOME!!!!!

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Zekhariah

There were a lot of surprised but enthusiastic podcasts out when sleeping dogs was released. I had presumed it would do well, as it launched against very little competition and nothing even remotely similar (unless competitive games launching at the same time builds excitement and gets everyone higher sales?).

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Morrow

I plan to pick this up as soon as I cleared my backlog a little (if that's ever gonna happen), it's pretty cheap on amazon.co.uk compared to the german store.

But I'm not surprised it turned out to be a little niché since the setting isn't really what you consider mainstream. Although games like GTA are rather popular...

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MiniPato

This game knows how to pick the perfect songs for the perfect moments. And the thing is, it's music playing on the radio. The final drive during the final mission was one of those Red Dead Redemption moments.

Ace20A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ace20A

@Morrow: What would be considered "mainstream" then?

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#30  Edited By project343

@VierasTalo: True Crime games always came off as... 'cheap' to me. Sleeping Dogs, however, does not. I don't know. Might just be me.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By VierasTalo

@project343 said:

@VierasTalo: True Crime games always came off as... 'cheap' to me. Sleeping Dogs, however, does not. I don't know. Might just be me.

Well, yeah. I mean the first game had a great cast of voice actors, but half the gameplay elements were bordering on being unfinished. SD doesn't have any of that, it feels like a finished game. The years have made it a bit easier to combine a wide variety of these mechanics into a simple game, a skill games like the first True Crime helped train towards perfection, while remaining imperfect themselves.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Morrow

@Ace20A said:

@Morrow: What would be considered "mainstream" then?

GTA. Which is like american sleeping dogs. Or sleeping dogs is chinese GTA, depending on your perspective. That being said, I played neither of them :D

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Ravenlight said:

@PSNgamesun said:

C'mon, buddy.

I think it's more of the fact that the game is in Hong Kong, which is a well known Chinese city.

Avatar image for general_boredom
    General_Boredom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By General_Boredom

I loved it, already one of my favorite games this year. Shame it hasn't sold well though, if I had a PC that could do it justice, I'd gladly buy it again.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Capum15

I haven't played it too much yet, only a few missions in (PC version, from Steam during their 50% weekend deal), but I have to say I'm liking it a whole lot.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FourWude

Man who no play Sleeping Dogs, is not a whole man.

Ace20A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Ace20A

@Morrow: Of course, it HAS TO be GTA!

Anyway, I've played both GTA(IV to be precised) and Sleeping Dogs. And imo, they're two different games.

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#38  Edited By Mars_Cleric

I loved it, here's hoping they get some recognition and success for it

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Terramagi

The only thing I really expected of it - and still do - is for Rockstar to make a really shitty rip on the game's name in GTA5.

Probably a dog euthanasia clinic, given the other "competition tombstones" they've made since GTA3.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By kagato

I bought it at the weekend since Steam had it on offer, what a fantastic game! I kinda knew it would be with it being discussed in length on the bombcast but i was blown away with just how unique it is, sure it has typical open world controls, but the setting really makes it stand out and it looks gorgous with the high res textures! I bought it on PC because it was cheaper but i was planning on getting it on that platform anyway, console games are not looking anywhere near as good recently.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41  Edited By kagato

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Ravenlight said:

@PSNgamesun said:

C'mon, buddy.

id say the average person can totally tell the difference between Chinese and Japanese, they sound completely different...hands up that i do play a lot of japanese games and watch a lot of anime but its like comparing German and French.

ThatPrimeGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ThatPrimeGuy

Was interested in it just because its a free roam game NOT set in Generic New York City #3241, its blown me away so far. I feel the combat could have used a little more polish but that might just be me comparing it to Arkham City's perfection of the system.

One thing that amazes me (and I hope I'm not the only one who feels this way ) is how the city has a....giant feel to it. It actually feels like a city, not some island with set pieces around it where you can tell they wanted to do X mission (saints row 2s stillwater comes to mind.) This game just feels like a neon lit concrete wonderland and I just love it so much. I've been waiting for a GTA game to give me that feel and I don't think it'll ever happen.

Also my god, this game is absolutely stunning when its raining...just...christ, I love it.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Morrow

@FourWude said:

Man who no play Sleeping Dogs, is not a whole man.

What about a woman?

Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
    deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FUCK!!!!!!!!!!! my moe stake

Spaceyoghurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Spaceyoghurt

Nope, did not expect it. If it weren't for Vinnys enthusiasm in the Quick Looks I would probably have skipped it. Picked it up two days ago, and couldn't put down the controller. Finished it just a couple of hours ago, and it's without a doubt the best game experience I've had this year. Really hoping it gets a sequal. If the coming blockbusters don't deliver, Sleeping Dogs will be my game of the year. So much ridiculous fun.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#46  Edited By OneManX

This game is on my Game of the Year list... I just finished it last night, WOW! WOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW!!!! I hope, I really do hope we see a Sleeping Dogs 2 or some more Sleeping Dogs DLC (that takes place after the game's story or another side-story) One of the few open world games, where I did side missions and I went out and bought outfits and cars. The voice acting, at least with the main cast, is top notch. Sad that some of the side stuff never really panned out, like the girlfriend stuff but for a game that had the potential to be a complete mess they pulled out a truly great game.

mak_wikus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By mak_wikus

@kagato said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Ravenlight said:

@PSNgamesun said:

C'mon, buddy.

id say the average person can totally tell the difference between Chinese and Japanese, they sound completely different...hands up that i do play a lot of japanese games and watch a lot of anime but its like comparing German and French.

The game takes place in HONG KONG. And, if we want to be picky, it's Cantonese.

On topic: I absolutely love the game, but the fact that S-rank is unachievable after latest patch kinda ruined the fun.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#48  Edited By ajamafalous
    @mak_wikus said:

On topic: I absolutely love the game, but the fact that S-rank is unachievable after latest patch kinda ruined the fun.

What'd they do? (And no spoilers please :))

Anyway, I think I'm a little over halfway through the game judging by my number of completed missions on the stats screen, and I've done every side mission/event up to this point. I love nearly everything about this game. I'm trying to think back on the games I've played this year and I'm drawing a blank for the beginning of the year, but this is definitely the best game I've played in the last ~six months. I can't wait to find time to finish it.
    mak_wikus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By mak_wikus

@ajamafalous said:

@mak_wikus said:

What'd they do? (And no spoilers please :))

Anyway, I think I'm a little over halfway through the game judging by my number of completed missions on the stats screen, and I've done every side mission/event up to this point. I love nearly everything about this game. I'm trying to think back on the games I've played this year and I'm drawing a blank for the beginning of the year, but this is definitely the best game I've played in the last ~six months. I can't wait to find time to finish it.

They accidentally added 5 "debug missions" or something like that, which bumped Missions counter in the game's stats from 30 to 35. People say those debug missions were available and "somewhat playable" for a short period of time before a hotfix was released. United Front Games removed the missions, but the number 30/35 stayed. So now, after doing everything, the game says that my story progress is 85%, and the Completionist stat in Social Hub is stuck at 96,65%. So now I'm locked out from getting two achievements(Chief Inspector - 100% the game, and Gold Rush - 30 gold stats).

Apparently, it only affected people that were mid-story(like me). If someone completed the game pre-patch, the stats probably changed, but achievements once unlocked stayed, of course. Starting a new game past update seems to be the only work-around.

On the official forums a dev said that they are considering adding those missions back(in playable form, hopefully:) to allow players to achieve 100%.

Any grammar or spelling mistakes come from me being not English.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#50  Edited By Kidavenger

I finished this over the weekend and this is definitely my favorite game so far this year, great story, combat manages to be fun and interesting without being difficult, driving was also fun, even the races were entertaining, I honestly liked everything about this game, it looks great and the music was good. Really looking forward to a sequel.

Between this game and Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Eidos is really hitting them out of the park lately, makes me really look forward to Hitman and Tomb Raider coming up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.