Demo is out now (PSN at least)

  • 62 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Edited by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -

I haven't really played it much but from the 10 minutes I saw this game actually seems ok (considering Rebellion and 505 games both have a pretty awful track record).  I'd definitely have to play more but for the basic sniping aspect seemed pretty cool, and the kill cam is extremely awesome.  It showed a natzis testicles explode when I shot him.... take that for what you will... 
 
So finally got to play the demo, went through it twice and its just as I thought.  It seems like an OK game. Nothing seems to be deathly wrong with it but nothing tends to really stand out. The sniping stuff seems to be well handled and pretty cool ( judging bullet drop, heart rate, and even wind) You really can't just do some quick shots and get away with it. My guess is it may have a good cult following that tends to like the "hardcore" sniping stuff. I will possibly give it a shot on a steam sale or sometime on ps3.

#2 Posted by Redbullet685 (6025 posts) -

Guess I'll try it because sniping is cool.

#3 Posted by mordukai (7133 posts) -

@Sackmanjones: Is that the one where you have to calculate for wind and other factors?

#4 Edited by Let1Down (15 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

It showed a natzis testicles explode when I shot him.... take that for what you will...

I take that to mean you're a very good (if vindictive) shot. I'll give it a go on the morrow, but it has Rebellion's name attached to it. Doesn't mean I'm writing it off, just means it'll have to be a hell of a demo to convince me. A hell of a demo and a lot of good reviews.

#5 Posted by CreepingDeath0 (176 posts) -

It's up on 360 too, I saw it earlier this evening. Haven't quite decided if I want to try it yet.... I guess my evening HAS been pretty dull so far.

#6 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -
@mordukai: Yeah, there are 3 difficulty types. One is basically shoot where the sights line up and thats where you hit, the 2nd tier involves heart rate and drop of bullets. The third adds wind.
#7 Posted by mordukai (7133 posts) -

@Sackmanjones: oh wow. Sound like something I'll enjoy. Thanks. Will Download the demo. Sound like a game I played on the first Xbox that was set in WWII.

#8 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -
@Let1Down said:

@Sackmanjones said:

It showed a natzis testicles explode when I shot him.... take that for what you will...

I take that to mean you're a very good (if vindictive) shot. I'll give it a go on the morrow, but it has Rebellion's name attached to it. Doesn't mean I'm writing it off, just means it'll have to be a hell of a demo to convince me. A hell of a demo and a lot of good reviews.

Trust me, I understand how terrible both 505 games and Rebellions track record is. Like I said I only played it for about 10 minutes and it at least seemed like an ok game. I will definitely have to wait for reviews too even consider getting it. 
Also I totally aimed for the dudes head but the bullet dropped right to the sack. I actually had a bit a remorse for the man...  
#9 Posted by Let1Down (15 posts) -

@Sackmanjones: I'm going to follow my usual rule on games that come from companies without recent success. Believe it'll be bad, and then it's an awesome surprise if it isn't.

#10 Posted by BigDre (116 posts) -

I've seen some gameplay and the game has a cool kill shot bulletcam showing an xray of the body and the bullet shattering bones. Might get old quick but it doesn't look like it happens all of the time.

#11 Posted by awesomeusername (4154 posts) -

Played it today. I don't understand why it takes 3-4 sniper bullets to kill enemies. On top of that, the controls feel like crap. Worst demo I've ever played actually.

#12 Edited by deerokus (533 posts) -

This is great, loved the demo.

BTW, while Rebellion's recent track record has been poor, the first Sniper Elite was a cult classic (that is probably the game mordukai is thinking of(, and they also made the excellent Rogue Trooper (not to be confused with Rogue Warrior).

#13 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1544 posts) -

PC demo isn't out yet. I quite enjoyed the original Sniper Elite, curious to see how good or bad this is.

#14 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

Can't wait to not play it!

#15 Posted by pantzing_nome (583 posts) -

I had no expectations going in this but I really enjoyed the demo, also I never thought of aiming for the balls @Sackmanjones: thanks for the tip I'm definitely going to play the demo again just to try and shoot some nazis in the testicles.

#16 Posted by handlas (2659 posts) -

Merely passable I'd say. If I had this knowledge prior I probably wouldn't download the demo. I got an X-Ray bullet-time kill that was kinda kewl. That's about it. The SMG sound is so subtle... that annoyed me.

#17 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -
@awesomeusername: Your probably missing.  There is a good amount of bullet drop. But the controls feel weird. As far as the worst demo, try cursed crusade.
#18 Posted by Redbullet685 (6025 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

Played it today. I don't understand why it takes 3-4 sniper bullets to kill enemies. On top of that, the controls feel like crap. Worst demo I've ever played actually.

What are you talking about? I have been playing for about 5 mins and every time I hit a guy, they died in a single shot. This game is pretty damn awesome. Definitely worth a rental coming off from the demo.

#19 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -
@pantzing_nome said:

I had no expectations going in this but I really enjoyed the demo, also I never thought of aiming for the balls @Sackmanjones: thanks for the tip I'm definitely going to play the demo again just to try and shoot some nazis in the testicles.

Its pretty brutal I must say.  
 
Currently enrolled in an Anatomy class has shed some light on how well they modeled by body stuff. They did a pretty excellent job with most of the muscles, bones and organs.
#20 Posted by bighat_logan (182 posts) -

Sniper Elite 1 on the ps2 was actually pretty good

#21 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Loved the original, played the demo for V2 today and I absolutely loved it. Can't wait for the full game.

#22 Posted by Scottish_Sin (221 posts) -

Played the demo and I quite enjoyed it, will deffo give it a rent. I saw that they'll have some co-op modes in there but does anybody know if they're doing the campaign in co-op as well? Might be fun to play through with a friend.

#23 Posted by X19 (2304 posts) -

360 degree no scoping here I come.

#24 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Man I loving shooting dudes in the head and watching the bullet bang around in the helmet on the way out.

#25 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

That was pretty fun. I shot out a lot of eyeballs.

#26 Posted by GunstarRed (5027 posts) -

I sniped a bunch of people in the head and got killcams of them being shot in the knees. It was alright in a I'm-wasting-twenty-minutes-and-I-have-no-intention-of-buying-this kind of way... Until I got to the bit where you had to shoot the bomb to stop the trucks. I think it failed to register me shooting it ten or so times before it decided to go into the car blowing up cut scene, and i'm still not entirely sure what I did differently. All of the enemies run to the same bit of cover seconds after you have murdered their friends. It seems like a pretty bad game.

#27 Posted by awesomeusername (4154 posts) -

@Redbullet685: @Sackmanjones: I'm positive I was hitting them. They fell and got right back up to run. The slow motion killcam is cool but everything is just bad imo.

#28 Edited by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -
@GunstarRed: Unless you have it on the easiest difficulty setting, bullets drop quick you you need to aim up (hence your shooting in the head, kill cam in the knees) This is even more true when the game adds wind on the harder difficulty. Maybe you did this but from the sound of it, especially the bomb part it sounds like you were aiming low 
 
@awesomeusername: If you shoot near an enemy they tend to stumble or even fall down. I played it twice to see If I could find this issue and I just didnt, 95% of my shots with the sniper were deadly. I have had people survive from a shot before in the leg or arm, (which caused one of his buddies to run and pick him up which followed in me shooting the grenade on his belt kiling them both). WITH THAT SAID, it seems like a OK game that a small crowd will really dig.
#29 Posted by MB (11982 posts) -

I can't wait to buy this...when it's 75% off on Steam a month or two after release.

Moderator
#30 Posted by awesomeusername (4154 posts) -

@Sackmanjones: I know they stumble when you shoot near them but I'm damn sure my bullets are connecting! Either that or I'm just a blind fuck.

#31 Posted by Akeldama (4238 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

Played it today. I don't understand why it takes 3-4 sniper bullets to kill enemies. On top of that, the controls feel like crap. Worst demo I've ever played actually.

Protip: Aim for the head. Also, reading your list of the worst games this gen, you sound really bitchy with little to backup your choices.

#32 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

Played the demo and it seemed like a fun game to pick up when the price drops. I was having a tough time being as methodical as I'd like to be in a game like that. Got stuck in a few firefights, didn't get to use any trip mines.

#33 Posted by Bollard (5254 posts) -

The important question is, is it better than Sniper: Ghost Warrior? Cause that game burned me bad on the hope of a current system Sniper Elite being good!

#34 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

Seems pretty cool actually, took me a few minutes to figure out how the fuck to properly shoot anything but once I got it down it was alright, the little bullet-cam thing never gets old either.

#35 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2682 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

Worst demo I've ever played actually.

@deerokus said:

This is great, loved the demo.

Well that settles that then.

#36 Posted by GentlemanlyGentleman (319 posts) -

I thought it was great. I've played the demo about 8 times, only on Sniper Elite difficulty. I never had any of the problems that people have had here. The kill cams are bloody great too, I got a x-ray nose shot into a x-ray heart shot. I love the way the bullet tumbles through the air after the first hit and how it's path deviates whilst doing so. I've been trying for that ball shot as well, but it seems damn near impossible to get.
 
My one worry is that they'll make it too linear. The first game could be pretty open, as far as my memory serves. So I hope it'll remain that way with this.

#37 Posted by Fyllikall (13 posts) -

Actually started to like this game, I replayed the original a while back and hell it was abysmal, that game really needed a cover system and v2 has it. That being said the demo is free to play so I recommend testing it out. And I never got issues with my bullets not hitting, its so hard to say that your bullet should hit everything you shoot at considering bulletdrop and movement of targets. But I have one problem, the demo doesnt have sound masking, like the originals, when you could shoot at the same time a bomb would fall somewhere and therefore hide the sound and nobody could pinpoint your position :)

#38 Posted by poisonmonkey (326 posts) -

Great demo, really enjoyable, can't wait for the final game.

#39 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -
@Rolyatkcinmai said:

@awesomeusername said:

Worst demo I've ever played actually.

@deerokus said:

This is great, loved the demo.

Well that settles that then.

Excellent ha
#40 Posted by awesomeusername (4154 posts) -

@Akeldama said:

you sound really bitchy with little to backup your choices.

If you read the bottom of my post, I wrote 'My reasons for disliking these games are vague because I'm lazy. Your turn!'. If I were to write the reasons I disliked the games, it'd turn into a wall of text. I have no time to make wall of texts.

#41 Posted by justinsimonin (45 posts) -

Wwwwhhhhhyyyyy is this demo so much better than it has any right to be? Rebellion has one of the worst track records ever and until this demo came out I don't think I'd ever heard of this game (or was mixing it up with sniper ghost warrior?) the graphics are actually pretty solid, the sound/music is fairly good, but most importantly the shooting just feels really satisfying? The kill cam seems like it should be really gimmicky but is surprisingly addictive and honestly kind of awesome. The attention to detail (in some of the lighting, smoke, the way you can shoot a guys fingers off or shatter his spine) is completely unexpected? Man I am not sold on the price point ( wondering how long the game will be or replayability) but I seriously might have to pick this one up

#42 Posted by Redbullet685 (6025 posts) -

I've played the demo about 10 times and that kill cam is sooooo fucking satisfying and addicting (the testicles shot is especially satisfying). I hope the full game is more open, though and there also should be some kind of melee.

#43 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Jesus, that was so fun. I want this on the PC now.

#44 Posted by Akeldama (4238 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

@Akeldama said:

you sound really bitchy with little to backup your choices.

If you read the bottom of my post, I wrote 'My reasons for disliking these games are vague because I'm lazy. Your turn!'. If I were to write the reasons I disliked the games, it'd turn into a wall of text. I have no time to make wall of texts.

Why bother posting then? "This is the worst game I have played this gen. Why? It sucks. Why? It just does."

Nice.

#45 Posted by awesomeusername (4154 posts) -

@Akeldama said:

@awesomeusername said:

@Akeldama said:

you sound really bitchy with little to backup your choices.

If you read the bottom of my post, I wrote 'My reasons for disliking these games are vague because I'm lazy. Your turn!'. If I were to write the reasons I disliked the games, it'd turn into a wall of text. I have no time to make wall of texts.

Why bother posting then? "This is the worst game I have played this gen. Why? It sucks. Why? It just does."

Nice.

Because I'm just as lazy as everyone else and people don't want to read huge essays from some random guy about why he dislikes certain games. 90% of the people who replied to my thread just wrote names and no reasons why. Some of those games were great games also. So please, just leave me alone if you're going to bitch about me not giving deep, reasonable answers to why I dislike the games that I do.

#46 Posted by Akeldama (4238 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

@Akeldama said:

@awesomeusername said:

@Akeldama said:

you sound really bitchy with little to backup your choices.

If you read the bottom of my post, I wrote 'My reasons for disliking these games are vague because I'm lazy. Your turn!'. If I were to write the reasons I disliked the games, it'd turn into a wall of text. I have no time to make wall of texts.

Why bother posting then? "This is the worst game I have played this gen. Why? It sucks. Why? It just does."

Nice.

Because I'm just as lazy as everyone else and people don't want to read huge essays from some random guy about why he dislikes certain games. 90% of the people who replied to my thread just wrote names and no reasons why. Some of those games were great games also. So please, just leave me alone if you're going to bitch about me not giving deep, reasonable answers to why I dislike the games that I do.

A few sentences would have been better than just "just cuz."

You and your posts suck balls. Just cuz.

#47 Posted by Humanity (8809 posts) -

I thought the demo was fun but I'm worried about how much MORE of that type of gameplay can sustain my interest. The bullet cam didn't get old for a 15-20 min demo but over a 6-8 hour game? Also I dunno it's been years but I'm STILL burned out on the WWII setting.

Some of the enemy snipers saw me from a mile away even when I was slowly crawling towards them so I hope the AI isn't as all-seeing in the full game (but it probably will)

What difficulty did everyone play on? I did the one thats above "Normal" I guess and you have to compensate for wind.

Also RB/R1 for slo-mo time is a very poorly mapped button since you can't shoot unless you do some fancy fingerwork.

#48 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

@Humanity said:

I thought the demo was fun but I'm worried about how much MORE of that type of gameplay can sustain my interest. The bullet cam didn't get old for a 15-20 min demo but over a 6-8 hour game? Also I dunno it's been years but I'm STILL burned out on the WWII setting.

Some of the enemy snipers saw me from a mile away even when I was slowly crawling towards them so I hope the AI isn't as all-seeing in the full game (but it probably will)

What difficulty did everyone play on? I did the one thats above "Normal" I guess and you have to compensate for wind.

Also RB/R1 for slo-mo time is a very poorly mapped button since you can't shoot unless you do some fancy fingerwork.

I thought it was OK but I have both a middle and index finger on my right hand, your mileage may vary.

#49 Edited by X19 (2304 posts) -

I have played through it 3 times and have really enjoyed it. Maxed everything out on the hardest difficulty for the third attempt and if I got the game I would play through it like that. Reminds me of that sniper level in Medal of Honor: Allied Assault which I must of played 30 times. 
 
It seems to have a couple of problems just like the last game. Honestly though this is the closest I'm going to get to a shooter I want to play till that tactical kickstarter gets made. Really fucking bored of the on rails COD clones which publishers are obsessed with. What happened to playing through the same level multiple times and trying different strategies? The WW2 setting doesn't bother me as it's more based on sniping rather than what Brothers in Arms or Medal of Honor did. 
 
Try the demo people, I put the machinarium soundtrack on and it was a very chilled out experience XD Really not a fan of the music they have for it. 
 
Edit: Btw they can't sell this at £40 it needs to be £20-25 before I jump in. That co op mode seems like a cool idea too.

#50 Posted by BleedingStarX (279 posts) -

First headshot was cool, drop down and the game bombs. Horrible controls, pretty poor aiming and I guess you could call it stealth mechanics

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.