Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Zipper Interactive returns to the SOCOM series with a new installment on PlayStation 3 that features squad-based gameplay, 32 player online modes, and PlayStation Move support.

Is SOCOM 4 DOA?

Avatar image for deactivated-5be09b084ef21
    deactivated-5be09b084ef21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

There are three major releases this week, Mortal Kombat, Portal 2 and SOCOM 4 but outside of the SOCOM community the silence over this game is deafening.

Ever since it was announced the Mortal Kombat boards on GB have been vibrant with discussions over topics ranging from debates about the game's content, speculation over unnanounced features and long threads about everyones favourite ninja.

Similarly Valve have been true to form over the promotion of Portal 2 getting people all giddy out there over things like Steam for PSN and potatoes.

With SOCOM 4 though... silence.
    Outside of the SOCOM community tearing each other apart on the official forum and SOCOM-centric boards, the lack of interest seems really odd for a game that used to be relatively huge.
    Even Jeff at one point said that he's had the review copy of this game for the past couple of weeks and never got around to playing it but I bet the second that MK arrived he dropped everything to go and play that instead.

Just what is going on with SOCOM 4 that is making people outside of the SOCOM bubble not care or even be aware of the games existance?

& Is the SOCOM community large enough to make this game successful without the wider gaming audience's involvement?

DaemonBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By DaemonBlack

Maybe people just don't get as excited about modern military shooters in this post Call of Duty world? I dunno that's my guess.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Gabriel

That game also looks average as hell. If that game were Spec-Ops though I'd be a lot more interested. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DaemonBlack: 
    Battlefield 3 and Brink are getting a lot of interest and they're pretty shooty and modern.

@Gabriel:
    I played SpecOps Stealth Patrol for the PS1. That just made me hate games.
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By scarace360

probably

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By tebbit

Why they are choosing to release in the same week as Portal 2 and MK9 is totally beyond me. These are two of the biggest games of the year, people.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Burns098356GX

They haven't made a good SOCOM game since 2 on the PS2. Thats why nobody cares.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By yakov456

I care, I'll be getting it. All Socom games have been enjoyable to me in one way or another, this one will be no different. MK is a tempting choice but I would be done with it within a month.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Enigma777

The Socrack addicts will still eat it up since it's really their only choice (unless they want to go back to Confrontation... lol).

With that said, I did enjoy the beta for what it was, so I certainly plan on picking up a copy when it drops down in price.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By KaosAngel

After the beta and the reviews, it's a pass.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Tebbit:
    Portal and MK are huge games but cater to different audiences. It's not as if another shooter is stealing the limelight & it's just weird to see a game like this not getting any attention when it's a couple of days away from release.

@yakov456:
    Most SOCOM vets would have already decided if S4 was a buy or not. Zipper said they are chasing a more casual audience with S4, those who might have never played a SOCOM title before, but none of these people seem to be interested. It can't be good for the longevity of the game.
    fuddles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By fuddles

Honestly, because it doesn't exactly look...that good.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Ramone
    @MuftyRiots said:

" @DaemonBlack: 
    Battlefield 3 and Brink are getting a lot of interest and they're pretty shooty and modern.

@Gabriel: I played SpecOps Stealth Patrol for the PS1. That just made me hate games. "

Battlefield 3 has history and a massive fanbase and I wouldn't consider Brink modern or at least contemporary. I think SOCOM just doesn't have the fan base that either Portal or MK do and that's why we aren't hearing much hype
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Not at all, Socom has a loyal ass fanbase.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Devil240Z

Socom is a game that if you don't understand it you never will. I love it with a passion. Its the only online shooter that I find remotely fun. The tacticalness and teamwork are something that is rare in videogames. 

I don't get why people feel the need to shit on socom. Its not for everybody. Its for me though. and there are alot more like me out there. 

I LOVE SOCOM. 

Socom has been out for a matter of hours and already has a thriving community. Its gonna be just fine.
    SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SSully
    @KaosAngel said:
    " After the beta and the reviews, it's a pass. "
    Agreed. I am a huge socom fan, I am one of the few who actually enjoyed confrontation and played it up until the summer of 2010. The beta showed me that this is nothing but a average military shooter. I had fun with it, but it simply is not worth a purchase from what I have played. 
    gunharp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By gunharp
     'Naw I don't think it is dead on arrival. 

I picked up SOCOM 4 and Portal 2 on the PS3 this week, and not the new Mortal Kombat. At the midnight launch for the three games, there were guys just picking up SOCOM. But most folks were walking out with MK. I wish Jeff had weighed in his opinion the title or wrote a review. Given his fondness for the franchise in the PS2 era, and how he has talked about the games on the podcast more than maybe 10 times? Plus I think he did two interviews with Zipper about Socom 4.

While like most I was expecting something average, I got better than that. I probably should have not purchased the game with so little to go on, (only played the beta) but damn am I a sucker really for anything that hearkens back to the older Tom Clancy games. My favorite shooters on the PC were Ghost Recon and most of all Rainbow Six 3. Socom 4 has enough of those touches that I enjoy it. The campaign is enjoyable and contains some intense stealth missions. I wouldn't call this game average at all, average for me at least would mean another  Syphon Filter Army of Two, or a  Ghost Recon that plays like the last two in that franchise. Thats just my call though. 

@MuftyRiots  said:  

" Jeff at one point said that he's had the review copy of this game for the past couple of weeks and never got around to playing it but I bet the second that MK arrived he dropped everything to go and play that instead.

Wow you just actually made me think about that. He did totally devote a lot to MK. GiantBomb really does cover whatever the fuck they want (which is awesome).  I'm not going to chalk SOCOM up to Red Dead or anything, but damn MK. 

Just what is going on with SOCOM 4 that is making people outside of the SOCOM bubble not care or even be aware of the games existance?& Is the SOCOM community large enough to make this game successful without the wider gaming audience's involvement? "

Good question, I don't visit the official site and I never played the original SOCOM's so I wouldn't put myself in that bubble. But I am that guy who bought the last Operation Flashpoint on Steam and dabbles in ArmA. While there wasn't much fervor on the GB forums we have no idea about other VG focused sites really. I am not sure how Zipper and Sony want to measure success with this title, is the goal a million plus sold like EA's Medal of Honor? *shrug*

I am sure the game will thrive, and eventually will be a title that gets the "greatest hits" packaging.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KaosAngel

Well, we can all agree that after one week of release, NO ONE is playing this game online.  That should say something, right?

Right, guys?  Hehe.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@KaosAngel said:
    " Well, we can all agree that after one week of release, NO ONE is playing this game online.  That should say something, right?Right, guys?  Hehe. "
    I see what you did thur.

OH KAOS!
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By JJWeatherman

It's hurtin' on Metacritic; only a 66 overall.

I'm not one to believe that Metacritic is a definitive indicator of game quality, but that's kinda rough for a huge release like this.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Bucketdeth: But seriously, the game would be doing fine if PSN was up.  I heard it sold well enough with the week it was in.
    N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By N7

SOCOM 4 confuses me to no end. It was mostly what Jeff said that brought it up. I forget tee hee who asked, but Jeff said something along the lines of "It feels a lot like the older SOCOM games", and in such a negative way. SOCOM 2 in particular was the orgasmatron multiplayer game of the PS2(Or so everyone with a mind tells me), and in that one interview with the Zipper dudes, Jeff said he was glad to see SOCOM go back to its roots to the older games... And... I mean, I'm so confused here.

SOCOM fans know what SOCOM fans want and no reviews are going to get in the way of that. People take the game very seriously. But, I don't know.

Also, there was only, what, 33 reviews on the SOCOM 4 page on Metacritic? Well Killzone 3 is one of the worst games to come out this year and it's got a pretty solid score on Metacritic due to its 80+ reviews. I'm assuming that most people are waiting for the PSN to go up to finalize and publish their reviews. I played the beta and it had an intricate level of tacticalism and teamwork that I haven't seen since MAG, and it was a really good experience, so I refuse to believe it's a 66. I'm not even a SOCOM fan but the game looked like it was more of an "8". It's not all there, but it isn't bad and does well with what it has.

Aside from how the maps look like they were ripped straight out of MAG, the beta seemed like, if it was going to keep doing what it was doing, there's no way it's going to be as bad as that 66 makes it look.

That's the impression I got with it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@KaosAngel said:
    " @Bucketdeth: But seriously, the game would be doing fine if PSN was up.  I heard it sold well enough with the week it was in. "
    Yeah I agree, hoping PSN is up by tommorow.
    DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

#24  Edited By DarkbeatDK

I haven't gotten Portal 2 or MK yet, but when people go on about how this generation is only brown and bloom shooters, it's always nice to be able to point to a week like this and say that the two biggest games was a puzzle game and a fighting game that outranked a sequel to a popular shooter game.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By Jackel2072

PSN being down is surely killing sales and it coming out after COD has been the staple for shooters for such a long time now isn't helping either. on a personal note 2 things have kept me from buying socom 4. 1 PSN is down and i hear the campaign is pretty standard in the not fun kind of way and 2. Im a bit disappointed zipper chose the safe route with another socom then working and tweaking MAG. Now maybe thats a bit harsh of me to say (taking the safe route) a studio could have more then 1 game in development at a time and maybe MAG 2 has been in the works? I just felt MAG was fresh and exciting. the excution of the game it self was a little lacking and the balance felt a bit off. but the whole "shadow war" concept was really fucking cool and needed to be more focused on... Ok sorry this is not a MAG discussion its a Socom one. point is, yes. i think Socom is DOA. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.