Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Spec Ops: The Line

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 26, 2012

Spec Ops: The Line is a narrative-driven modern military third-person shooter set in Dubai during the aftermath of a series of destructive sandstorms.

easy mode for story?

MrT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MrT

Is this game worth playing threw on easy just for the story. I have maybe 6 hours a week to play video games.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Ravenlight

As someone who lost at least two dozen hours to that game over every difficulty, yes. Set that shit to easy and enjoy the ride.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By musubi

@MrT: If the story is the only thing you care about then go for it. Personally I loved playing on Hard mode but if the story is all your after out of it then just crank it down and go at it.

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By UitDeToekomst

That's the very thing I did. Got through it in two sittings (maybe 6 or so hours total). Enjoyed the story, easily one of the best of the year and probably worth experiencing. And that is coming from someone who tends to dislike most military-themed stories/games.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By bybeach

I was playing the game on medium, but reallly playing for the story. After enough of the the twists, and seeing the results of cirtain actions, I cheated near the end, read the plot, and made my personal decision, which was based on personal disgust.. I am going over it a bit more more because I am am still not sure I fully understand, especiallly if I am trying to persist using a 'Good guy/Bad guy' template to overlay the whole thing.

I got a little lost....

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By warxsnake

Watch a playthrough on youtube.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#7  Edited By pyromagnestir

I'm playing through on normal and it ain't so bad. The checkpoints can be a bit rough on occasion, in that they're always at the beginning of a fight, and sometimes include cutscenes/discussions/stuff like that which you can't skip past which makes dying even more of a hassle. Especially if you died at the very end of a fight because you were scrounging for ammo.

So yea go ahead and play on easy if you want minimal hassle.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By RobotHamster

I knew the game was short so I figured I start on hard to maybe give it a bit more length and if anything I'd just drop the difficulty. But aside from the sometimes terrible checkpoints I still managed to beat it in about 7 hours which I did in one day, not too challenging but not easy as well.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Rhaknar

i played it on normal and it was fine. Its not fucking Dark Souls, and this rep the game gets for being some sort of horrible third person shooter mechanically is a complete myth, the game plays fine

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Morrow

Do it.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RE_Player1

That's what I'm currently doing and having a good time.

MrT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrT

I went with easy just under 3 hrs in and I'm in chapter 12.

chrjz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By chrjz

I beat it on easy in 4.5 hours. On the PC it's a nice looking game (other than those cutscenes) and mechanically it's fine; if I wasn't totally disiniterested in playing another fps campaign I would have put it on a higher difficulty.

I think it's better than some people give it credit for.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By Hunter5024

Hell yeah. I actually kind of enjoyed the gameplay on easy, and the story is totally awesome (or at least interesting).

barnell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By barnell

It is 100% worth playing through on easy just to experience the story. You'll lose something just watching a play through on youtube.

Vod_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Vod_Crack

Just play it on normal. It's not remotely hard. Be a man. This "OH I WILL PLAY IT ON EASY JUST SO I CAN GET THE WONDERFUL STORY" talk is utter bullshit. If you really feel that way, just watch the cutscenes on YouTube.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#17  Edited By TheMasterDS

I played it on easy. I still died a bunch, I think it should be easier. I still got a lot out of the story and presentation, real good stuff.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18  Edited By me3639
    @Ravenlight said:

As someone who lost at least two dozen hours to that game over every difficulty, yes. Set that shit to easy and enjoy the ride.

I was going to go back though for the last achievement but i tried a few times on the chapter "Adams" where the difficulty seems to spikes in hard mode. I kept getting plowed so i just called it a day and added it to my growing list of games missing 1 achievement. 
    Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Morrow

@Vod_Crack said:

Just play it on normal. It's not remotely hard. Be a man. This "OH I WILL PLAY IT ON EASY JUST SO I CAN GET THE WONDERFUL STORY" talk is utter bullshit. If you really feel that way, just watch the cutscenes on YouTube.

That won't do. I watched all the cutscenes on YouTube because I usually avoid shooters. But the impact on you is just not as intense as actually playing it. And I agree with the others on difficulty influencing your experience with the game. If you get frustrated because you constantly die you won't be able to concentrate on the plot, and especially, on all the environmental details that enhance your experience, like the Konrad billboards or the tree in chapter 8.

The easiest difficulty setting of Deus Ex: Human Revolution by the way is called "Tell me a Story", which is also an indication that you will get smoother and more relaxed through the game and can therefore concentrate on the story more.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ravenlight

@me3639 said:

@Ravenlight said:

I was going to go back though for the last achievement but i tried a few times on the chapter "Adams" where the difficulty seems to spikes in hard mode. I kept getting plowed so i just called it a day and added it to my growing list of games missing 1 achievement.

Yeah, I banged my head against that part for a long time. It seemed to come down to a combination of luck and patience. The final fight in the game was great catharsis because you have the full-auto shotgun at that point and everyone just melts.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By hollitz

There's no particularly difficult parts of this game on normal mode. Unless you really really hate shooters or just aren't that good at them, there's no reason to set it to easy. Play it on normal and see for yourself. If you want to, set it to easy. If you go in with the "easy for story" mentality, you're already handicapping any enjoyment you'll actually get from playing the game. Going in with that kind of defeatist attitude is absurd.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#22  Edited By pyromagnestir

Upon further review, I'm changing my vote. Play on normal. The game really isn't that hard until towards the very end, and I found the frustration of the sudden spike in difficulty enhanced the story's tone and message quite effectively. Still think they should've had a better checkpoint system.

@hollitz:

Parts of those last few chapters can be a bit rough if you're impatient or find yourself low on ammo. Or in my case quite often both.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By djou

@MrT Play it on easy if what you care about is the story, the gameplay is nothing special, cover based 3rd person shooting with some squad stuff. I was playing hard and eventually dropped it to normal on PC. There are a few spots with some cheap deaths. You can give your squad targets to attack but not control their position on the field which leads to them going down if you don't babysit them. They occasionally run into stupid spots and I found myself dying more than a few times going to revive them. The revive animation is slightly broken in that the camera rotates to an awkward angle after the revival and you can't immediately find cover. No point in having minor niggles like this eat up your time if you don't have much of it to spend playing.

FrankieSpankie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FrankieSpankie

I would also agree to put it on easy for the story. I played through it on normal and didn't die very often but the gameplay is just really average and not worth the headache of a challenge. =P Seriously, the story is really cool which is shocking for any modern war shooter. Play through it to enjoy the story and don't get frustrated over something stupid that could happen on a higher difficulty.

priorityseven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By priorityseven

Just finished the game on easy today. It's totally worth your time to go through on easy just for the story. An amazing ride.

SeanCoughing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SeanCoughing

I rented it and did just that, no regrets.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27  Edited By jonnyboy

I rented it and played it on hard, and never saw the ending. By the end you are dead ten seconds from a checkpoint on the most linear level you've ever seen. You will stay in that ten second loop indefinitely.

Yes, play on easy.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By korolev

It's perfectly playable in Normal - it only gets a little bit difficult towards the end. But if you just want to experience the story, set it to Easy. The gameplay is perfectly.... serviceable. But not very enjoyable.

CoolMarquis97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CoolMarquis97

Yeah just play it on easy mode, seeing how it allows you to enjoy the story more than you would if you attempted to beat it on the hardest difficulty.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.