XBLA tunnel man requirements

#1 Posted by Undead_Fiend (56 posts) -

I was wondering what tunnel man's requirements were for each level, I've opened the first (jungle) shortcut and he needed

Jungle: 1 bomb, 1 rope then $10000

the next shortcut needed 2 bombs and I was unprepared to give them, I was wondering if anyone else knew what was to come as it can be hard enough getting through once with the right stuff let alone 3 times each

#2 Posted by Croker (1 posts) -

The second tunnel man asked me for 2 bombs, two ropes I think and a shotgun which I haven't managed to give him yet.

#3 Posted by Timing (618 posts) -

Ice caves: 2 bombs, 2 ropes, a shotgun

Temple: 3 bombs, 3 ropes, a golden key from the mines

Space ship: I'm not sure. I've only been there once and it was before I completed the tunnel to the Temple and the guy also asked for a golden key, which at the time I did not have. I wonder if it'd made a tunnel to the Space ship had I given him a key at that point.

#4 Posted by ElCapitan (401 posts) -

I'm at the key from the mines. Holy crap will that be tough to get to the Temple

#5 Posted by Undead_Fiend (56 posts) -

wow this game is insane, the key from mines sounds crazier than getting the gnome through half life 2 ep2

#6 Posted by Apsup (38 posts) -

I managed to get the golden key one the first time I tried, but might have been quite lucky and I have a fair amount of experience from the original version of the game. Most annoying thing about that was that I had to leave shotgun behind.

#7 Edited by Cloneslayer (1624 posts) -

Just made the shortcut to the caves! The key from the mines sounds fucked though!

#8 Posted by takayamasama (439 posts) -

Just delivered him the key from the mines all the way at the end of the ice level. That whole event made me super tense, but I managed to buy the jetpack early on, and it was a bit easier. Was able to fly key to exit, drop it, go back and find the damsel, and keep a high heart total.

Died probably 5 seconds into the Temple again XD. Oh well, yay shortcut!

#9 Posted by web966 (87 posts) -

Fuck the tunnel man. I will never be able to get that key from the mines to the temple. It took me forever to get the shotgun to him.

#10 Edited by Timing (618 posts) -

Hm, there doesn't seem to be a way to make a tunnel to the Space ship, or to any of the other secret areas for that matter. Perhaps the City of Gold, but I haven't been there yet, though I don't expect there to way a way to make a tunnel for that either.

#11 Posted by fox01313 (5061 posts) -

That doesn't sound too bad, then again was playing it on the pc where he just wanted cash, $100000. That's for the first shortcut tunnel.

#12 Posted by Timing (618 posts) -

Okay, there's no tunnel to the City of Gold.

On a side note, I just made it over there. I got the book, killed Anubis II, made it out of there and to the final boss with a jetpack, a shotgun, $250,000+, around 50 sticky bombs and ropes, the chalice and practically everything from the Black Market since I managed to loot it and survived... and I still managed to get crushed by Olmec. Oh well.

#13 Edited by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Timing said:

Okay, there's no tunnel to the

On a side note, I just made it over there.

His name really is Olmec, then. Also, i didn't bought the XBLA version yet, but: Ghostruns. They still exist?
#14 Posted by Timing (618 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

@Timing said:

Okay, there's no tunnel to the City of Gold .

On a side note, I just made it over there. I got the book, killed Anubis II, made it out of there and to the final boss with a jetpack, a shotgun, $250,000+, around 50 sticky bombs and ropes, the chalice and practically everything from the Black Market since I managed to loot it and survived... and I still managed to get crushed by Olmec. Oh well.

His name really is Olmec, then. Also, i didn't bought the XBLA version yet, but: Ghostruns. They still exist?

I haven't seen any, so I don't think so. Though maybe there's a requirement for them which I haven't met yet. Also, you might want to 're-spoiler' my text you just quoted just in case.

#15 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Timing: Oh, c'mon! Ghostruns were soooo fun and tense. I loved them.
#16 Posted by Timing (618 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

@Timing: Oh, c'mon! Ghostruns were soooo fun and tense. I loved them.

Hold on. If this is what you mean

then yes, I don't see why you wouldn't still be able to do this in the XBLA version. I thought you were talking about some sort of official game mode.

#17 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Timing: YES! I dunno, the lack of people talking 'bout it, made me think the Ghost no longer turned gems into diamonds.
#18 Posted by Timing (618 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

@Timing: YES! I dunno, the lack of people talking 'bout it, made me think the Ghost no longer turned gems into diamonds.

No he totally still does. So go nuts.

#19 Posted by Smokey_Earhole (473 posts) -

How in the blue FUCK do you get the key from the mines, all the way to Tunnelman in 3-4?? I must have spent 4 hours just trying to get him a shotgun...

This game is the devil. And the devil rapes you while laughing his ass off. Fuck this game! (I can't stop playing it).

#20 Posted by Village_Guy (2492 posts) -

The requirements aren't to bad really, at least he shows up every time, whereas in the PC version he shows up randomly (granted there he also just wants money).

The shotgun is pretty easy to get, you just need a "The Dead is Restless" type level in the Jungle and then bomb the tombstone that says Ash, since there always is a Shotgun under there.

Getting the Gold Key to the Temple is pretty fun though, a bit of a challenge but it isn't actually that hard - the Mines and Jungle are easy enough to get through if you take it easy, and if the Ice Caves are easy enough if you have the proper equipment (like a compass and a cape/jetpack preferably).

#21 Posted by Smokey_Earhole (473 posts) -

@Village_Guy said:

The requirements aren't to bad really, at least he shows up every time, whereas in the PC version he shows up randomly (granted there he also just wants money).

The shotgun is pretty easy to get, you just need a "The Dead is Restless" type level in the Jungle and then bomb the tombstone that says Ash, since there always is a Shotgun under there.

Getting the Gold Key to the Temple is pretty fun though, a bit of a challenge but it isn't actually that hard - the Mines and Jungle are easy enough to get through if you take it easy, and if the Ice Caves are easy enough if you have the proper equipment (like a compass and a cape/jetpack preferably).

Yeah, I had to do the ASH tombstone thing too, as the shopkeepers kept fucking me up. Strange, I only threw a few bombs at them...

#22 Edited by ashley_falls (2 posts) -

Thanks for the info. I just started playing yesterday and just got Tunnel Man the first bomb.

Now I know what I need to save. This is the hardest game I've played since Super Meat Boy & Demon's/Dark Souls. I'm sticking with it, though. I wish the controls were a less clumsy but, other than that, it's a solid game.

Has anyone gotten to the end yet?

#23 Posted by Sarumarine (2170 posts) -

@ashley_falls said:

Thanks for the info. Now I know what I need to save. This is the hardest game I've played since Super Meat Boy & Demon's/Dark Souls. I'm sticking with it, though. I wish the controls were a less clumsy but, other than that, it's a solid game.

Has anyone gotten to the end yet?

If you mean end by seeing the credits? I've gotten there. There's a bunch of bonus areas I haven't figured out how to reach yet.

#24 Edited by BamSaidTheLady (89 posts) -

I got the key to the temple!

I died so many times trying to do this. Really satisfying though.

#25 Posted by ashley_falls (2 posts) -

Well, I just got home from dinner with my family and immediately set about getting the first shortcut, which I now have. I'm starting to feel the light at the end of the tunnel with this game. It's hard but beatable. I always have to play these kinds of Triple AAA hardcore titles (Super Meat Boy, Ninja Gaiden Black, Demon's/Dark Souls, Halo Reach on Legendary). I've beaten them all. It's satisfying to beat a hard game.

#26 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

You guys are crazy.

#27 Posted by Phoenix778m (238 posts) -
@BamSaidTheLady 1/3 Bad Luck; 1/3 Good Luck; 1/3 Mad Skills made for one exciting run. Did you yell Fuck ya when you made it through the last door? I also got tore up by that mummy after giving him the 3 bombs.
#28 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Fuck the Tunnelman, he's an asshole. If you make tunnels as you're profession then you should already have the supplies.

#29 Posted by bushpusherr (762 posts) -

Finally got the tunnel to the temple. Cape + Climbing hands + spike boots got me there

#30 Posted by bushlemon (172 posts) -

Just got the key to Tunnel Man on my first try

The cape is the way to go

#31 Posted by BamSaidTheLady (89 posts) -

@Phoenix778m: Yeah fist pumps for sure. Re-watching the video I noticed several times where I should have been killed. Sooo lucky. I jump between two spikes at one point!

#32 Posted by yoshisaur (2639 posts) -

Holy shit, just reading some of the spoilers in this thread makes me want to play this game...

#33 Posted by betterboulder (190 posts) -

Finally, made the Ice Cavern shortcut and got the first 2 requirements for the temple shortcut. The key seems doable on the outset but the Jungle area is definitely going to be the problem child. I loathe the darkness levels and I doubt I'll have as much luck as

#34 Posted by Smokey_Earhole (473 posts) -

@ashley_falls said:

Well, I just got home from dinner with my family and immediately set about getting the first shortcut, which I now have. I'm starting to feel the light at the end of the tunnel with this game. It's hard but beatable. I always have to play these kinds of Triple AAA hardcore titles (Super Meat Boy, Ninja Gaiden Black, Demon's/Dark Souls, Halo Reach on Legendary). I've beaten them all. It's satisfying to beat a hard game.

You do not understand what Triple A means.

#35 Posted by Phoenix778m (238 posts) -
@betterboulder Let me know how it goes? I'm trying for it tomorrow.
#36 Posted by betterboulder (190 posts) -

@Phoenix778m: It was alright. I didn't succeed but like always I learned. For me at least, this is a "nothing to do the rest of the day" type challenge that requires all of my focus. Realistically with my luck and skill, I think it might take something almost like 10 tries on a good day for a success. Beyond being careful and prepared, I say try to avoid fights and dont go for out of the way loot. Get crates that are in your path or visit shops for any gear you might want. Also, watch out for some of the smaller creatures. One bat can ruin everything.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.