Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars 1313

Game » consists of 0 releases.

Players would have taken the role of a bounty hunter in this gritty third-person shooter set in the Star Wars universe. After the shuttering of LucasArts, the game has been canceled.

The big reveal

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By cornbredx

So I asked this in another thread, but I kind of was derailing that thread to ask it (my bad you guys). I'll elaborate more as well.

The big reveal for this game was that it's a "mature" take on Star Wars. That was the focus of this reveal. They showed a little of their lighting and how they are motion-capping actors (which should be standard these days it seems if you want a half way decent game I guess). But the biggest thing they focused on was mentioning how "mature" this new game will be.

For me them saying it's a "mature" take on star wars bothers me. What does that even mean? Was the force unleashed not a mature take on it? What about the Jedi Knight series? What does being mature entail if those don't count? Nudity and Gore? That's a weird thing for them to focus on. I don't mean to imply Star Wars games have been particularly crazy violent (with gore and blood and whatnot), but that doesn't mean they weren't mature before.

Some would say Force Unleashed doesn't count, as it's popcorn theater- the focus was teens and being extreme. I don't entirely agree with that, but I can see how that could be seen. My take on The Force Unleashed was it's more like God of War but Star Wars. I'm not saying mashing these together is bad, but it meant the focus was the action and the story just propelled you forward. Your central character was just an angry force (excuse the pun) taking down titans- only in this context they happened to be Jedi.

Is better writing what being "mature" means for star wars though? I would argue Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2 already kind of did this. Granted it was in a time when story was harder to focus on due to limitations of hardware, but they used FMV cut scenes to tell the story and at the time it was done effectively, I thought. It centered on Kyle Katarn and how he dealt with the loss of his father as the driving force for his journey to becoming a Jedi and your actions in the game determined how he would deal with that (either becoming dark side or light side).

So, ya. It makes me wonder what being "mature" means exactly for a new star wars game. To me the game being mature isn't particularly new and "mature" in video games can come with several different definitions.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By AngelN7

I guess is their way of saying this won't be like Kinect Star Wars so no Han Solo dancing. Blood, gore and nudity doesn't make anything more mature just for adult audiences.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

All that means is that it's not designed for kids. The target audience is 'core gamers'. That's it.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@AngelN7 said:

I guess is their way of saying this won't be like Kinect Star Wars so no Han Solo dancing. Blood, gore and nudity doesn't make anything more mature just for adult audiences.

Han Solo dancing was the greatest thing to come out of kinect.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Bourbon_Warrior said:

@AngelN7 said:

Han Solo dancing was the greatest thing to come out of kinect.

SOLO POSE
    Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By connerthekewlkid

nice to know people can take star wars kinect jokingly and not nerd rage about it like some other places

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SamStrife

I would class the KotoR series as "Mature" Star Wars. I also fully understand that them saying it's going to be a "Mature" Star Wars game is for pure marketing reasons.

Sdoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Sdoots

Well, if Prey 2 ends up not happening, at least I'll have something else with sci-fi bounty hunting to look forward too.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@SamStrife said:

I would class the KotoR series as "Mature" Star Wars. I also fully understand that them saying it's going to be a "Mature" Star Wars game is for pure marketing reasons.

I agree with this to an extent. Truthfully KOTOR felt more like it belonged in the original trilogy. KOTOR 2 felt like a grown-up told a Star Wars story.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By cornbredx

@AngelN7: So, their big reveal on the game they've been working on was "Hey you guys, we made a real video game!" I don't think they would dismiss other star wars games (released fairly recently) so quickly this way.

I agree, blood gore and nudity doesn't make something mature- just limits the audience you should be catering to. I touched on this as well by discussing writing (which covers character development, story, context, and whatnot).

@Brodehouse: This is an interesting thought. Lucas Arts has been basically in black out for a while now, and their first real game reveal the first thing they want to focus on is "it's a real game you guys." My only problem with your post is the indication that kids are not core gamers anymore.

Wow. The world has changed if that is true. That's not what you meant, I know, but kids can be core gamers too.

The games for them are different though. I get it. But why, then, come out of the dark to reveal that the game is mature, if that isn't anything new (they've done that before)? Do they really think the kinect game they released fairly recently would make that a big deal?

I guess the fact that it's a star wars game should be a let down to some people, as that was the only other reveal (and no one was really shocked by that. I mean really- we saw that coming). I know some were hoping they were developing a new franchise.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@CornBREDX: Kinect Star Wars was made for kids, not 'core gamers' and this game is not being made for the same audience as Kinect Star Wars. The entire point of saying mature is to tell core gamers that this is not Kinect Star Wars.

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Jace

@CornBREDX: Well part of their logic is probably to get as far away from the Kinect game as possible. They don't want to imply in any way that this new title will be like that travesty.

I hope there is gore. NOTHING ruins the star wars mood faster for me than seeing people be hit with lightsabers as if they were baseball bats. You could fix this in JK:O/JA with mods on the PC, and it was fucking awesome. They even had decapitation mods.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By connerthekewlkid

the game is going to be about you killing some corrupt politician in 1313 and the entire place is run by criminal organizations so dark and seedy i guess

Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Pop

So any info on it? I went to the site and all I could find was a picture, I googled star wars 1313 and found an article on wookieepedia "CT-1313 was an alias used by Boba Fett on Aargau when he was confronted by a clone trooper close to his own age." Does that mean you play as Boba Fett in the game?

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cornbredx

@Oldirtybearon said:

@SamStrife said:

I agree with this to an extent. Truthfully KOTOR felt more like it belonged in the original trilogy. KOTOR 2 felt like a grown-up told a Star Wars story.

While I agree with you guys, none of the KOTOR games were made by Lucas Arts (licensed and maybe published but they didn't develop them). That's why I didn't mention those.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By nightriff

A mature take on Star Wars? You mean for like 10 year olds? That mature?

Sdoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#17  Edited By Sdoots

@Jace: Actually, I'm pretty sure with JK there was just a cheat you could put in through the console, whereas JA needed a mod.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By Red

The word "mature" in video games is misused a whole friggin' lot.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Jimbo

More: 

Less:

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cornbredx

@Pop: They didn't reveal a whole lot. Mainly just a few details about their engine (lighting, facial animations, motion capture, etc.) and kind of the setting they're going for. There was a video of it I found but I cant find it now, I think it got removed. It was attached to an article that doesn't seem to have it now.

They had a date on it for when they will reveal more (It will be during E3 so soon- their apparently going to have gameplay footage) but I don't remember the exact day.

Googling "LucasArts reveal" gives several articles about it.

Edit: Oh and they specifically did not reveal who you are playing (Geoff Keighley asked and they basically said "We're not talking about that yet"). The biggest speculation, though, is that you will be Bobba Fett.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bane122

I didn't see the gametrailers thing so keep that in mind while reading this but, I think you're probably over-stating the importance of the mature thing. Most of the stories I've read about it today don't seem to focus on the mature aspect. I definitely don't think that's the biggest part of the reveal.

And if the maturity does come through the writing (which I think is probably the case) it doesn't really matter if other SW games have done that first. They didn't claim to be the first mature SW game, did they?

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Empire Strikes Back: mature

Return of The Jedi: not so much

Anyone expecting any gore or sex in a Star Wars game is delusional. In this case mature just means no Jar Jar or E-Woks.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@Nightriff: i guess youve only seen the prequels

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By nightriff

@connerthekewlkid: Nope seen them all, it hasn't been mature since Empire Strikes Back arguably.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By HadesTimes

I really have no idea what Lucasarts is going for anymore. I just think they are throwing a whole bunch of crap out there in hopes that some it makes money; somehow. You know like Kinect Star Wars.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By cornbredx

@Nightriff said:

@connerthekewlkid: Nope seen them all, it hasn't been mature since Empire Strikes Back arguably.

I agree with that completely

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#27  Edited By donutfever

I just presumed they were going for a darker tone.

tariqari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By tariqari

They are using mature in the ESRB sense that the game will be rated M. It doesn't make sense and it never has but that's how its been done for years. Is Call of Duty a more mature game than KotOR? Is Battlefield 3 more mature than Jedi Knight? I'd argue that some of the later JK games were more violent than most of the violent games on the market today, what with the dismemberment and all. Even the idea of The Force Unleashed is way more violent than Assassin's Creed, where you obliterate and torture your enemies as they scream in whirlwinds of fire and pointy objects.

I agree though. It would have been nice to see something different but it looks like we are just getting a game somewhere between The Force Unleashed and Uncharted.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By GunslingerPanda

"Mature" in videogame pretty much means "targeted at teenagers who want to be grown up and cool!"

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Nilazz

@GunslingerPanda said:

"Mature" in videogame pretty much means "targeted at teenagers who want to be grown up and cool!"

ALSO.... TITTIES!

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Tesla

I think in the case of Star Wars 1313, more mature means dealing with shades of gray. Bounty hunters roaming the seedy underbelly of society, as opposed to paragons of justice galavanting about the cosmos. It is this fundamental change that makes me interested in the game at all.

i8246i

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By i8246i

So is there some demo video out there showing anything beyond the 3 minutes of cover based shooting and Uncharted-esque climbing? Because I really didn't see anything in there that warrants any sort of forum post beyond "Gosh, that's pretty!".

Please, if there really is some trailer out there showing people that there's anything to actually discuss about this game, let me know. Otherwise, why make topics about this game...or really anything new shown off at E3?

bomberman294

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By bomberman294

i think they were all mature.. but no nudity and very short dresses if that's not mature for you enough...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.