Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

15 minutes of low level Huttball gameplay.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By CL60

Looks fun, and if you've played Dragon Age you should recognize who the announcer of the Warzone is ;) 

Avatar image for natural_deadhead
    natural_deadhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By natural_deadhead

This looks like really fun PVP
    Yamoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Yamoto

Great another generic mmo 

I understand this is a mmo but MAN grafically this game looks like dog shit

Avatar image for callofspartansofwar1337
    CallofSpartansofWar1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

lol dis looks cool! i wannause force powers on pple and stuff! but i probably cant pay the money :( oh wel

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By N7

All I heard was Tank Dempsey yelling a whole lot.

Was Steven J. Blum in Dragon Age?

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Deusx
    @CallofSpartansofWar1337 said:

lol dis looks cool! i wannause force powers on pple and stuff! but i probably cant pay the money :( oh wel

Really? Again? 

Also, yeah this looks cool. Like 3 year develpment cool, not a lifetime development cool.
    rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

Looks cool.

DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DeviantJoker
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By penguindust

It's good to see some PVP that's different than regular the team A vs team B "to the death" match.

"...that was ninja!"

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By adoggz

that seems like fun

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Red

Looks good, albeit a little gimmicky. So psyched for this.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Meowshi
    @Yamoto said:

Great another generic mmo  I understand this is a mmo but MAN grafically this game looks like dog shit

MMOs are like the only genre people do this for. 

Personally, I never walk up to Japanese dancing simulations and go, "Great another generic Japanese train simulator." 

I accept that I don't like the genre, and move the fuck on.   

I don't know, maybe some criticisms other than, "this MMO looks and plays like an MMO" would be more interesting.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By Seppli

@CL60: Just had to show up to provide the fully functional embed player ;D - now I need to watch the video before I can comment for realz.

Yeah - I'm likely not gonna delve too deep down SW:TOR's PvP. I'm gonna get a fix or two of solo PvE from it and some group dungeons and maybe some easy-going raiding - depending on how much I dig the whole story-aspect of the game and how deeply I'll be immersed by the time I hit max level.

The only MMORPG I currently consider to be worth my time in PvP is Guild Wars 2, with its dedicated-healer-free combat mechanics. This simple change will make every action so much more meaningful, since a loss of health or DPS can't just be compensated with a couple of easy-fix healspells. Healers are such spoilsports. An end to them should make a world of difference. Apparently matched instanced PvP (including official tournaments) will be loot-indipendent too. A completely even playingfield. Everybody gets the same gear and the same choice of skills - even lowlevel characters can instantly play at their full potential, as if they were level 80. I stopped doing WoW PvP when they've separated PvE and PvP gear progression via an arbitrary PvP attribute creating a PvP-specific gear treadmill. Just didn't have it in me to do twice the grind for half the reward. Hated that change so much. This solution though - a perfectly even playingfield by taking out all loot out of instanced matched PvP; now this I dig. It's 100% about the gameplay and playerskill and 0% about a loot-threadmill. Awesome! I bet it's gonna be the World Vs World Vs World where players use their own gear to smash other serverpopulations. The best of both worlds indeed. Massive MMORPG PvP and straight-up eSports.

Then again, I prefer to do my competitive online gaming in more classic genres. Such as FPS (Battlefield) or Fighters (Street Fighter) or Racing (Hot Pursuit) - Games that are all about the moment to moment experience. They're usually way more intense. It's an accomplishment to get me excited for MMORPG PvP. SW:TOR looks like the standard fare. It will be the same as what I've played in WoW; suffering from the same inherent flaws of loot-threadmills and the holy trinity of tank and healer and damage dealer. Tanks are mostly unviable. Healers are spoilsports (ever seen a Healer vs Healer fight?). I hate healers in PvP so much. Huttball is a fun spin on capture the flag, admittedly. Nontheless - it's just Warsong Gulch with Jedi and Sith with classic MMORPG combat mechanics and balancing and quite certainly all the inherent flaws of doing comptitive gameplay with such mechanics in such an environment. I'll pass on that.
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@DeviantJoker said:
    #1 Reason to be a Smuggler seen at the 12m20s mark.
    That moment alone sold me on the pvp.
    I'm all for ballkicking and facestuckying.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15  Edited By Seppli
    @CallofSpartansofWar1337 said:
    Are some sort of ironic mustache?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.