Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

If you were in the beta that just ended, don't uninstall it.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By CL60

According to Stephen Reid they are going to patch that weekend beta up to the early access/launch build, so it's ready to go when it starts.

EDIT: If you get an email telling you to uninstall it, apparently everybody that has ever been in the beta is getting it, but those of you in the thanksgiving beta and up don't have to uninstall it I don't think.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MeierTheRed

@CL60 said:

According to Stephen Reid they are going to patch that weekend beta up to the early access/launch build, so it's ready to go when it starts.

Cool, thanks for the info.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Samaritan

Crap. Too late. -.-

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By DougQuaid

Does early access start on the 15th for everyone that pre ordered?

Avatar image for white_silhouette
    White_Silhouette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By White_Silhouette

@DougQuaid said:

From what I've heard getting in 5 days is the earliest people will get in. I doubt everyone will get in 5 days early. Some will probably be let in 4 - 3 days early. That's at least my understanding of it.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By project343

@Captain_Felafel said:

Crap. Too late. -.-

Hopefully you don't have harsh bandwidth caps. XD

@DougQuaid said:

Relative to when you entered your pre-order code on their website. They haven't officially said how this will scale out, but if you pre-ordered and ran home to put in that code, you'll get 5 days of early access. Chances are, if you just entered that code a few days ago... you're looking at 1-2 days of early access.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Pinworm45

Thanks for the info.

JoMate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JoMate

I didn't know I just have to find the funds to buy it and I will be having a happy christmas.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Thanks duder

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Samaritan

@project343 said:

@Captain_Felafel said:

Crap. Too late. -.-

Does 100GB's a month count as harsh? Cause if so, then crap twice.

Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Kung_Fu_Viking

Who does that? Who finishes a game and then immediately uninstalls it? Do people not have enough space for multiple game installs or something?

Obviously it makes sense for people who have no intention of playing this game after the beta but that's clearly not who this thread is aimed at.

dillinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dillinger

@Kung_Fu_Viking said:

Who does that? Who finishes a game and then immediately uninstalls it? Do people not have enough space for multiple game installs or something?

Obviously it makes sense for people who have no intention of playing this game after the beta but that's clearly not who this thread is aimed at.

Generally developers will ask you to full, fresh install their retail products if you've been running the beta, so it's not very uncommon for people to remove the beta in full once it ends, getting ready for the launch. I'm lucky enough to have kept it, but it's easy to see why someone would delete it.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Funkydupe

@dillinger: Yes, I almost deleted mine after the weekend test. I was hoping that I wouldn't need to re-download the entire game and I'm glad it turned out this way.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SamStrife

If you keep loading it up, even though you can't play you will keep recieving the patches. So if you just log onto it once a week then by the time the early access starts you will be patched up and ready to roll pretty much straight away.

LAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By LAR

@Kung_Fu_Viking: They were telling people to uninstall the game after a phase ended throughout most of the beta. So I'm not surprised people got rid of it already.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By sins_of_mosin

They said the stress test weekend was also used to see how to do the early access roll out. From what I could tell, the servers did really well and I think a lot of people will get at least two days of early access. As long as I get access the Sunday before it comes out, I will be happy. If I get access the Friday or Saturday, I'll dance.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CL60

@sins_of_mosin said:

They said the stress test weekend was also used to see how to do the early access roll out. From what I could tell, the servers did really well and I think a lot of people will get at least two days of early access. As long as I get access the Sunday before it comes out, I will be happy. If I get access the Friday or Saturday, I'll dance.

When did you put your code in? If it was the day the preorders were available or maybe a few days after that you'll get 5 days.

Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Kung_Fu_Viking

@LAR: @dillinger: Fair enough, I didn't realise they had specifically said that.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By sins_of_mosin

No, I didn't pre order until much later so again, I hope for two while three would be great.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Good to know. I have early access, despite having no intentions of buying the game.

At least I'll have characters ready for if/when the game eventually goes F2P.

Declarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Declarius

@Captain_Felafel said:

@project343 said:

@Captain_Felafel said:

Crap. Too late. -.-

Does 100GB's a month count as harsh? Cause if so, then crap twice.

I hear you, I couldn't play the beta cause of my internet cap. I played a few months ago but that version couldn't be updated to this recent one.

Avatar image for beautifulspacecowboy
    BeautifulSpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Thanks for the heads up, duder!

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CL60

If you get an email telling you to uninstall it, apparently everybody that has ever been in the beta is getting it, but those of you in the thanksgiving beta and up don't have to uninstall it I don't think.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Funkydupe

Yes I got the "uninstall" instructions too. They should send a counter if it no longer is the case. It'll save some hopeless internet connections somewhere in the world.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Captain_Felafel said:

Crap. Too late. -.-

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Never got an email but I participated last weekend so I should be good.

15th can't come soon enough.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By tekmojo

Still have it, but I can't login via launcher anymore. Anyone have same problem?

Metalhead79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Metalhead79

@WinterSnowblind said:

Good to know. I have early access, despite having no intentions of buying the game.

At least I'll have characters ready for if/when the game eventually goes F2P.

I have a feeling you'll be waiting a very long time.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Metalhead79: I wouldn't be so sure about that. Even the almighty WoW is seeing dropping subscription numbers, Blizzard are working on a new F2P MMO, and there are a lot of big MMO's coming out in the near future that don't charge monthly. There's just too much competition now, and with a lot of people only interested in the game for the story/single player content, I think they're making a huge mistake by not at least offering some kind of "free member" option. I'm happy to wait it out, and I'm definitely not the only one doing so.

Subscription fee's are just an antiquated way of playing games, I'll be happy when they're gone for good.

Metalhead79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Metalhead79

@WinterSnowblind said:

@Metalhead79: I wouldn't be so sure about that. Even the almighty WoW is seeing dropping subscription numbers, Blizzard are working on a new F2P MMO, and there are a lot of big MMO's coming out in the near future that don't charge monthly. There's just too much competition now, and with a lot of people only interested in the game for the story/single player content, I think they're making a huge mistake by not at least offering some kind of "free member" option. I'm happy to wait it out, and I'm definitely not the only one doing so.

Subscription fee's are just an antiquated way of playing games, I'll be happy when they're gone for good.

I do not believe that's WoW's drop in subscribers has anything to do with it being a subscription based MMORPG. I think it has everything to do with the direction taken by Blizzard with Cataclysm. I think the fact that the massive drop off started a few months after Cataclysm released bears witness to this. F2P is still the realm of failed MMOs. I think The Perfect World being F2P is Funcom realizing that they lack the skillset to play with the big boys - Blizzard, Trion, and now Bioware. Age of Conan was a colossal failure. If I remember correctly, it sold around 1.5 million copies it's first month and was down below 100k subscribers by it's six month. It didn't fail because it was subscription based. It failed because it was a broken, unfinished game.

Warhammer Online failed because, again, it was a broken game. However, it still has enough subscribers to keep it a pay to play game. DCUO had 30k subscribers on PC. Is there any wonder why it went F2P? While I don't disagree that F2P is the future for most MMOs. I think there is still a market for AAA MMORPG's to be subscription based. There's a level of quality to WoW and Rift that you don't see in WAR or AoC. Having been in the SWTOR beta for several months, I think SWTOR has this same level of quality and will survive as a popular subscription based MMO for many years. Time will tell, but in the mean time you will be missing out on what is a truly stellar game.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Metalhead79: But I'd argue that the quality of games like Guild Wars 2 far exceeds even something like WoW and SWTOR, in terms of content and presentation. The fact most developers rush out an MMO as a way to make easy money doesn't mean that only subscription based games can be of decent quality, things like Age of Conan show this perfectly. The publishers/developers are more concerned about bringing in money than actually making a decent product, which has been the problem with most MMO's that aren't WoW.

Charging for the game box and then continuing to release expansions more than covers the cost of development and running the game. I see no need for a subscription, especially when they're asking £40 just for the box. If you think it's a stellar game, have fun with it. In my opinion, it's dated in terms of cost and gameplay, and what fun I did have with it is certainly not worth £160-ish a year. Like I said, I'm perfectly content to wait for the inevitable switch.

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Nephrahim

You're basing your argument on a game that hasn't come out yet and almost everyone who talks about it gets from a single demo that was at PAX. Guilds war 2 isn't even in Beta yet.

TurkFebruary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TurkFebruary

@Metalhead79 said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

I do not believe that's WoW's drop in subscribers has anything to do with it being a subscription based MMORPG. I think it has everything to do with the direction taken by Blizzard with Cataclysm. I think the fact that the massive drop off started a few months after Cataclysm released bears witness to this. F2P is still the realm of failed MMOs. I think The Perfect World being F2P is Funcom realizing that they lack the skillset to play with the big boys - Blizzard, Trion, and now Bioware. Age of Conan was a colossal failure. If I remember correctly, it sold around 1.5 million copies it's first month and was down below 100k subscribers by it's six month. It didn't fail because it was subscription based. It failed because it was a broken, unfinished game.

Warhammer Online failed because, again, it was a broken game. However, it still has enough subscribers to keep it a pay to play game. DCUO had 30k subscribers on PC. Is there any wonder why it went F2P? While I don't disagree that F2P is the future for most MMOs. I think there is still a market for AAA MMORPG's to be subscription based. There's a level of quality to WoW and Rift that you don't see in WAR or AoC. Having been in the SWTOR beta for several months, I think SWTOR has this same level of quality and will survive as a popular subscription based MMO for many years. Time will tell, but in the mean time you will be missing out on what is a truly stellar game.

This. There will always be people who are willing to pay more for higher quality. It may not be the majority but it's certainly enough.

Also, Blizzard is probably not working on a free to play MMO because they think it's the future but rather they just don't want to compete with themselves.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@SamDrugbringer said:

You're basing your argument on a game that hasn't come out yet and almost everyone who talks about it gets from a single demo that was at PAX. Guilds war 2 isn't even in Beta yet.

There have been several demo's of the game over the past year, all featuring different races, classes, areas and tiers of gameplay, so let's not pretend they've only shown a small amount of the game. And yes, while it's still in an unfinished state, that only reinforces my argument. Everything we've seen/played of the game has been incredibly high quality, and that's regardless of the fact it won't be surviving off a subscription. Sorry, but I don't buy into the idea that having a monthly fee increases the quality or stability of the game, period. We've seen too many examples to the contrary, just look at DC Universe, Star Trek Online, Age of Conan, Dungeons & Dragons or Warhammer. All (initially) sub based games, all incredibly poor quality.

The quality of the game simply seems to come down to the developers, no different from any other game.

Metalhead79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Metalhead79

@WinterSnowblind said:

@Metalhead79: But I'd argue that the quality of games like Guild Wars 2 far exceeds even something like WoW and SWTOR, in terms of content and presentation. The fact most developers rush out an MMO as a way to make easy money doesn't mean that only subscription based games can be of decent quality, things like Age of Conan show this perfectly. The publishers/developers are more concerned about bringing in money than actually making a decent product, which has been the problem with most MMO's that aren't WoW.

Charging for the game box and then continuing to release expansions more than covers the cost of development and running the game. I see no need for a subscription, especially when they're asking £40 just for the box. If you think it's a stellar game, have fun with it. In my opinion, it's dated in terms of cost and gameplay, and what fun I did have with it is certainly not worth £160-ish a year. Like I said, I'm perfectly content to wait for the inevitable switch.

Guild Wars 2 hasn't been released and isn't even in beta. I don't think it's vaild to point to it as an example of a better game. SWTOR isn't going to be for everyone. There's nothing wrong with not liking it. It's not SWG 2 - you won't find a sandbox here (other than Tatooine), it's not a revolution in the MMORPG genre. It's directly aimed at people who enjoy games like Rift, WoW and, of course, fans of the KOTOR games. I'm the target demographic. From my experience in the beta over the last several months, I've come to think this game could achieve WoW levels of popularity.

Fenris82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Fenris82

Well, I wish I had known about this before I decided to clean up the beta install to prepare for retail :p

matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By matt

@WinterSnowblind: @Metalhead79: As someone who has played Guild Wars 2 multiple times it's not a redesign of the MMO that Arenanet would have you believe. They are also putting a emphasis on story but I think Bioware have beat them to the punch on this one and done it better. Combat is where Guild Wars 2 is making some changes but like I said it still plays like every MMO ever.

I get the feeling a lot of people are looking past SWTOR to Guild Wars 2 and saying that GW2 is advancing MMOs as we know them but those people are going to be very disappointed. Not saying Guild Wars 2 is bad but from what I've played it's not a game changer.

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

What if I was in the Beta, but did not install the beta?

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By Marz
    @SmasheControllers said:

What if I was in the Beta, but did not install the beta?

then you just install the client normally.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.