Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Need help to see if this can run on my new laptop

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By N7

So, I'm incredibly hyped up for The Old Republic. Since getting a new PC, I decided that if it could run it well enough, I would buy the hell out of that game.

Problem. I'm not tech savy enough to know anything about if my new laptop can run it. I don't even know how I would find that out.

Are there any helpful duders out there that want to help a brother out? I have no idea where to start. Even though it appears to be a pretty rugged machine, I just want to know if I can run TOR on the lowest settings possible so I don't buy an $80 heartbreaker.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

@N7: Do you have any idea what kind of hardware the laptop has? Processor, memory, video card if any?

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By N7

I'm extremely new to this so I wasn't sure what I should have put down.

4.00 GB of memory. 64 bit operating system (Windows 7 Home Premium). HP.

AMD E-350 Processor 1.60 GHz

And apparently the video card has 1.9GB of memory on that to boot.

Ihmishylje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Ihmishylje

SWTOR has pretty modest minimum hardware requirements, so a new laptop (unless it was something really cheap with a shitty intel graphics chip, etc.) should run it at low settings. However, you need to find out the specs on your laptop to be sure. What make & model is your laptop?

Ihmishylje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ihmishylje

@N7: Is that memory on the chip shared memory?

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By N7
    @Ihmishylje: Make: Hewlett -Packard. Model: HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC.

EDIT: I don't even know what shared memory is. Again. Extremely new to this. Mad apologies.
    mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By mosdl

Describe your Laptop (or link to its specs)?

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By N7
    @mosdl: I'm not sure where to link to. :X

I tried looking at the website for this model, and all it came up with was a list of billions of possible computing combinations instead of a direct and solid "Hey, this is what you have".

But here's what it came up with, just in case this helps. LINK
    Ihmishylje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ihmishylje

@N7: Yeah, that's because the model is a general line-up of bargain laptops and is sold with a variety of components.

What you have is a cheap ass laptop, which doesn't really meet the minimum requirements for the game, whish are listed here:

Processor:

• AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better
    • Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz or better
    • Operating System:
    • Windows XP or later

RAM:

• Windows XP: 1.5GB RAM
    • Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB RAM

Note: PCs using a built-in graphical chipset are recommended to have 2GB of RAM.

Star Wars: The Old Republic requires a video card that has a minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM as well as support for Shader 3.0 or better. Examples include:

• ATI X1800 or better
    • nVidia 7800 or better
    • Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better
    DVD-ROM drive – 8x speed or better (required for installation from physical editions only) Internet connection required to play.

Whether it will run the game even so, is another matter. But I wouldn't buy the game for that laptop.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CaptainCody

@N7: Ehhh, it's going to run okay on low at best. Still, definitely playable on those setting so if you don't mind some jaggy graphics everything should be fine assuming you got a decent deal for the laptop.

@Ihmishylje: On my old desktop I could play WoW decently well under the minimum settings so I think it should still run it hopefully. People need to realize, Good graphics card, good processor, good power supply, nothing else is going to be that much of a difference maker considering every laptop has pretty much 4 gigs of RAM. It is also not posible to buy a good computer for a fair deal, either you build one or you don't.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mike

, you said your laptop had an AMD processor but then linked to a product which only features Intel processors...so I'm not sure exactly what you have. Based on what you've told us though, I would be hesitant about playing this game on that machine. If you are able to run it, it's probably going to be on the lowest settings possible and you may not even get playable framerates.

One thing you could do for people trying to help you is go to your start menu, find the Run box, then type in dxdiag and hit run. Once dxdiag comes up, go through the tabs to perform all tests, then click "save all information" and save to a text file on your desktop. Open that text file, copy everything, then paste it into this thread so we can see exactly what kind of hardware you have. You'll get a better answer that way.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

If you're unsure of your laptops hardware, use the system requirements lab, it'll tell you your system specs and if you meet the minimum requirements for the game.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By project343

@N7: Going to go ahead and say that you'll run this game terribly, if at all. Save your money. The poor performance and graphical quality will certainly bog down your experience. :(

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By N7
    @MB:
    JoMate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By JoMate

@N7
    It will probably run it at 720p and on low (which isn't even all that bad looking) but I am afraid your cpu might not cut it though. But maybe this site will tell you more: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mike

@N7: While your video hardware is barely sufficient to run the game on low, your CPU is far, far below the minimum requirement of an Athlon 64 X2 4,000+.The Athlon 64 X2 4000+ scores around 1,100 on CPU Mark, your CPU scores about 730. For comparison, my mid-range desktop CPU, an AMD 965 running at 3.9ghz, scored about 4,700 on the same benchmark. Ultra high end processors like the i7-2600k are benching around the 10,000 mark on stock clock speeds.

If the game will SWTOR at all, it's going to be poorly. If you don't have another machine as a backup in case your laptop won't run the game, my advice would be for you to wait until a free trial or some kind of guest pass system comes out so you don't waste $60.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Driadon

I'm with MB here, that processor is incredibly underpowered. I've seen a few videos showing what games a setup like that could run, but nearly all of them were more GPU dependent, and SWTOR is rather processor dependent from what I can see.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Grillbar

@N7 said:

So, I'm incredibly hyped up for The Old Republic. Since getting a new PC, I decided that if it could run it well enough, I would buy the hell out of that game. Problem. I'm not tech savy enough to know anything about if my new laptop can run it. I don't even know how I would find that out. Are there any helpful duders out there that want to help a brother out? I have no idea where to start. Even though it appears to be a pretty rugged machine, I just want to know if I can run TOR on the lowest settings possible so I don't buy an $80 heartbreaker.

you can go to the site canyourunit.com and check it gives a basic estimate. it scannes your hardware and then tells you if you can run it on min or req and so on

heres the min that it tells me

Minimum:AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better, Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0 GHz or better
    RAM
    Minimum:Windows XP: 1.5 GB, Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB, PCs using a built-in graphic chipset: 2 GB
    OS
    Minimum:Windows XP, Vista, 7
    Video Card
    Minimum:256 MB of on-board RAM and Shader model 3.0 or better support (ATI Radeon X1800 or better, NVIDIA GeForce 7800 or better, Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better).
    Video RAM256 MB
    Pixel Shader version3.0
    Vertex Shader version3.0

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.