Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Star Wars: The Old Republic Tips

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
    deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

After my first day and having some good times in SWtoR I found out that your;

• Quick travel option will take you to any area that you have discovered.

What are your tips?

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Brians

Imperial Agent is a fun class. Sith Inquisitor is a class where you kinda feel low powered at least in the beta.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Be careful with crafting, the gathering missions will become expensive very fast (300-500 per mission) if you don't keep questing/etc.

Space missions (available when you get your class ship) are a good source of experience and credits, I believe there's daily quests for them too.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By jetsetwillie

wait till it goes free to play.

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Brians

So much I haven't tried also excited about guilds.

Etaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Etaber

When you pick your specialization at level 10 check your inventory to see if there is a package containing starter gear. I didn't realize this when I picked Commando and was walking around for a good while without an assault rifle.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Click on dudes to make die.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sirdesmond

@Etaber said:

When you pick your specialization at level 10 check your inventory to see if there is a package containing starter gear. I didn't realize this when I picked Commando and was walking around for a good while without an assault rifle.

This is super important early on. Luckily, I stumbled upon it but other people I was trying to complete Esseles with had not equipped their specialization gear yet and the first major boss we encountered was pretty much unbeatable.

My tip: Make a point to find the time to play every Flashpoint. They are all great and, so far, the best part of the game I have experienced.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By CL60

In Preference>User Interface add more quickbars and choose one of the side quickbars as a companion quickbar.

@jetsetwillie said:

Good luck with that.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jetsetwillie

@CL60 said:

In Preference>User Interface add more quickbars and choose one of the side quickbars as a companion quickbar.

@jetsetwillie said:

Good luck with that.

well, im in no rush to play and i bet its free to play with in a year.

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DougQuaid

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Be careful with crafting, the gathering missions will become expensive very fast (300-500 per mission) if you don't keep questing/etc. Space missions (available when you get your class ship) are a good source of experience and credits, I believe there's daily quests for them too.

Depending on your crafting classes, you don't need to do those missions to get materials, just turn on resource tracking and keep an eye out for them while questing.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CL60

@jetsetwillie said:

@CL60 said:

@jetsetwillie said:

Good luck with that.

well, im in no rush to play and i bet its free to play with in a year.

Warhammer Online - EA Game - Released in 2008 - Not F2P

Star Wars The Old Republic(Undoubtedly a million times better than Warhammer) - EA Game - Going F2P in a year or less.

Yeah.. right.

But regardless. This isn't the place to discuss this.

Anyway. Here's a pro-tip. Go Republic and join Good Luck Have Bothans ;) Also remember to interact with the bind things so you can fast travel to it.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By sins_of_mosin

You can give your companion(s) new gear so don't forget to upgrade them as you upgrade yourself! A lot of long time beta testers said to buy the extra inventory soon.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's something, is there a way to compare gear to what the companion is wearing? The mouse over tooltip only compares it to what you're wearing, and I'd like an easy way to measure if jorgan could use this new belt.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sirdesmond

@Brodehouse said:

Here's something, is there a way to compare gear to what the companion is wearing? The mouse over tooltip only compares it to what you're wearing, and I'd like an easy way to measure if jorgan could use this new belt.

I was wondering about this as well, but I haven't been able to find a way sadly.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CL60

@sirdesmond said:

@Brodehouse said:

I was wondering about this as well, but I haven't been able to find a way sadly.

preference>user interface and go down to tooltip and check "show detailed tooltips" and "Enable companion comparative tooltips"

Etaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Etaber

Go to UI Configuration and there is a checkbox called something like 'enable companion comparative tooltip'.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By sins_of_mosin

Very nice to know that! Thanks for the tip guys.

Avatar image for white_silhouette
    White_Silhouette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By White_Silhouette

I haven't done much digging yet but is there a way of assigning different attacks to mouse keys instead of number keys?

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DougQuaid

@White_Silhouette: When you pull up the options screen, there's a key bindings tab at the bottom.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By FateOfNever

Datacrons require exploration to find - so don't be afraid to go off the beaten path and look for big glowy things! They're worth trying to find. (Or I guess you could just start looking up guides for where they are, but, that's boring.)

The codex entries for your companions contain info on what kind of responses your companion likes, so if you're having a hard time figuring one of them out, check there to get an idea of what you should be doing to win them over.

Avatar image for white_silhouette
    White_Silhouette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By White_Silhouette

@DougQuaid said:

@White_Silhouette: When you pull up the options screen, there's a key bindings tab at the bottom.

Awesome. Thanks.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@DougQuaid said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Be careful with crafting, the gathering missions will become expensive very fast (300-500 per mission) if you don't keep questing/etc. Space missions (available when you get your class ship) are a good source of experience and credits, I believe there's daily quests for them too.

Depending on your crafting classes, you don't need to do those missions to get materials, just turn on resource tracking and keep an eye out for them while questing.

True enough, but when you get several companions or you're doing flashpoints its easy to keep sending them away.
    Its not major, but still, keep an eye on it!
    FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FateOfNever

Also, to turn of trade channels (such as to turn of general chat, pvp chat, trade chat, etc.) you have to go into preferences -> chat to turn them off. I know at least during the beta you couldn't, say, type /leave general to leave general chat (like you can do in WoW.)

Naldean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Naldean

@Etaber said:

Also, when you go to train, your advanced class skills are in a different tab

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#26  Edited By StarvingGamer

Crafted items (and certain looted items based on your crew skill) that you do not need can be reverse engineered for a fraction of the material components. While this may not always be as cost effective as simply vendoring the items and sending your companions out on subsequent gathering missions, by reverse engineering you can learn a variety of schematics for advanced equipment.

Your companions can craft items using materials from your cargo hold.

If you're going Dark-Side and don't like the way your corruption makes you look like a zombie, you can turn the effect off by visiting the social section of the configuration menu.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#27  Edited By Brackynews

My #1 tip is be careful of modding your weapons until they get some bugs worked out. I was able to *attempt* modding my Bounty Hunter gun at level 4, using my pre-order crystal. But the crystal was destroyed and the mod didn't take. The modification station window itself was showing an "undefined" string error, so there's definitely something amiss. Fortunately I absolutely don't care about my blaster being yellow. ;)

I'd post a screenshot of the glitch, but that leads me to my second tip...

#2 All UI config options and keybinds are per-character. And there's no feedback whether you successfully take a screenshot or not. I'll probably launch via the Steam client from now on since I'm not using Origin.

#3 is the game keeps track of everything you discover on a planet that earns you XP, from bestiary to datacrons. It's a bit buried inside a collapsed menu on the Codex tab, which is connected to the mission Logs window. Worth checking before you leave your training planet!

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By tekmojo

Join a RP-PVP Server instead of straight PVP one, more mature dudes.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Barrock

@Brackynews said:

My #1 tip is be careful of modding your weapons until they get some bugs worked out. I was able to *attempt* modding my Bounty Hunter gun at level 4, using my pre-order crystal. But the crystal was destroyed and the mod didn't take. The modification station window itself was showing an "undefined" string error, so there's definitely something amiss. Fortunately I absolutely don't care about my blaster being yellow. ;)

I'd post a screenshot of the glitch, but that leads me to my second tip...

#2 All UI config options and keybinds are per-character. And there's no feedback whether you successfully take a screenshot or not. I'll probably launch via the Steam client from now on since I'm not using Origin.

#3 is the game keeps track of everything you discover on a planet that earns you XP, from bestiary to datacrons. It's a bit buried inside a collapsed menu on the Codex tab, which is connected to the mission Logs window. Worth checking before you leave your training planet!

You can repurchase your Pre-order and Collector's Edition bonuses at the Space Station.

Floppypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Floppypants
    • People are nice, especially at launch; we're all noobs.  If this is your first MMO, don't be afraid to join groups and socialize a bit.  Group quests and flashpoints offer the best rewards.
    • Buy parts for your ship as soon as you get your ship.  All the Level 1 parts are easily affordable and make a huge difference for the beginning space missions.
    • At level 21, you'll be given a reminder to start saving your money for vehicle training.  At level 25, you'll need about 50k credits to purchase both the training and the vehicle itself.  People who bought the CE or DDE get a free mount, but still have to purchase training.  Stop dumping credits into crew missions and save your money for this expense!
    m16mojo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By m16mojo2

@Barrock: Where do I get the bonuses to begin with? I got the crystal but, nothing else. I have the C.E.

dvdhaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By dvdhaus

@Brians: Is an Imperial Agent easy to use for a beginner? I've played very little MMO's and was leaning towards playing as an Agent.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CL60

@dvdhaus said:

@Brians: Is an Imperial Agent easy to use for a beginner? I've played very little MMO's and was leaning towards playing as an Agent.

The cover mechanic might confuse you at first.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#34  Edited By Jeust

Triangle shapes above npcs heads are a sign of sidequests.

dvdhaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By dvdhaus

@CL60 said:

@dvdhaus said:

The cover mechanic might confuse you at first.

It did at first, but then I figured it out. Pretty cool feature.

bunnymud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By bunnymud

Here is a great protip:roll a healer and join GLHB

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Silver-Streak

@Brackynews: As a general heads up, while that definitely sounds like a bug, it may only occur when you try to use enhancements above your level.

The Preorder Crystal requires level 7 minimum.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By mike

Get some class-appropriate Orange gear and hold onto it if you like how it looks. Orange items have slots that you can put upgrades into (and remove or replace as necessary) and they scale. My double-bladed lightsaber was a class quest reward, and my robes were a drop off a boss in Black Talon. Both will probably stay with me quite some time as I upgrade their mods while leveling. 

Another tip - as in World of Warcraft, don't spend money on gear while you're leveling up, especially early on. It may be tempting to buy greens every time you level, but you'll be leveling so fast and replacing gear so quickly this becomes cost prohibitive. Get your upgrades from drops, quest rewards, and commendations vendors.  

Pick up a crafting skill and complimentary mission & gathering skills that allow you to make items you'll need while leveling. I chose Artifice, Treasure Hunting, and Archaeology. I can make all of my own upgrades and shield generators, help my friends with the same items (including cool color crystals), and will eventually be able to make money with it at higher levels when I start doing a lot of reverse engineering and learning purple schematics.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.