Testing For Star Wars: The Old Republic Has Begun

• 58 results
Posted by BradNicholson (1556 posts) -

Get in line if you'd like to get a first crack at Star Wars: The Old Republic (you know, from the people who brought you both The Force Unleashed and Mass Effect). A "Game Testing" version of the title--notice the curious lack of the "beta" tag--is now available to those who have registered on the game's website and registered within its separate Game Testing Portal.

According to official release, the first of "several" phases is now underway. As you can guess, this part of the Game Test will be limited and smaller, focused only for those who live in North America. Later phases will expand the tester base by welcoming those located in other parts of the world.

If you're not picked at first, don't fret: the official FAQ for the Game Testing says clearly that there's a chance you might be chosen for a later test. The FAQ also makes mention that players who provide "excellent feedback" and are good at hunting down bugs may get invites into other phases as well. 

== TEASER ==Got what it takes? Great. Hit the relevant websites above and think happy thoughts. Or use Jedi mind magic on the computer. I heard it wasn't human exclusive.

I've seen The Old Republic a couple of times already, but getting demos for this sort of game is kind of like checking out a Guitar Hero sequel. "Yeah, this is Guitar Hero… with Metallica." Or, in TOR's case, "Yeah, this is an MMO…you click on things until they die while watching cooldown timers." In that sense, I've yet to get a solid feel for the BioWare dialogue and character influence--this grand idea that choice matters to your experience. Perhaps you'll be able get a handle on it with more than a few hours logged.    
#1 Posted by fwylo (3571 posts) -

Do Want.

#2 Posted by OroJackson (688 posts) -

cool

#3 Posted by steelknight2000 (474 posts) -

How about no.

#4 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13807 posts) -

Applied a wile ago. And never got picked. 

#5 Posted by Bones8677 (3362 posts) -

#6 Edited by MMkain (133 posts) -

That screen shot looks like ass.

#7 Posted by General_D23 (1210 posts) -

Another step closer.

Though I'd be perfectly happy to wait for an open beta or game launch to play.  Not to say I signed up for no reason, but...

#8 Edited by MachoFantastico (5441 posts) -

Remember they had some sort of beta signup when The Old Republic site launched. I registered for that, not sure it was the correct beta though.  

Just checked, I signed up for the beta when the official site launched so here's hoping I get a chance. Beta testing isn't easy but it can be a fun challenge. 

#9 Posted by Jedted (2642 posts) -

No luck here.  Fingers crossed though. 
#10 Posted by damswedon (3221 posts) -
@MMkain: MMO's don't really start to look good until a week or two before the release date.
#11 Posted by Ryax (4580 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" Applied a wile ago. And never got picked.  "
same. ive been opted in for testing since i heard about the site and im still not in.
#12 Posted by ribeye (479 posts) -

did
#13 Posted by Nephrahim (1170 posts) -

Um, from the people who brought you force unleashed?  What, Lucasarts?  Beacuse I'm pretty sure Bioware did not.

#14 Posted by brotherlu (66 posts) -

I have been signed up for a while. Hopefully i get in .... please. This is the only MMO i am interested in

#15 Posted by Scooper (7920 posts) -

My computer's crap and I doubt I'll be able to run it but I've signed up. Hopefully I'll be able to play when they open the testing to the UK.

#16 Posted by BlinkinCard41 (24 posts) -
@SamDrugbringer: I was about to say something about that, too.
#17 Posted by Clinkz (1116 posts) -
@SamDrugbringer said:
" Um, from the people who brought you force unleashed?  What, Lucasarts?  Beacuse I'm pretty sure Bioware did not. "
I was scratching my head at this too. Wtf?
#18 Posted by Crispy (240 posts) -

Brad, you sure you didn't mean Knights of the Old Republic, rather than Force Unleashed?

#19 Posted by Gonmog (644 posts) -

They just started doing the invites i think. This is the first "open" closed testing. Everythin else was inhouse i guess.

#20 Posted by Kenshiro28 (73 posts) -
@Scooper:  supposedly it's made for lower-end PCs like WoW because, y'know, they want normal people playing this game too.
#21 Posted by Metal_Mills (3384 posts) -

I signed up ages ago, I want my e-mail!

#22 Posted by AlwaysBeClothing (1588 posts) -

I just signed up, we'll see how it goes.

#23 Posted by Metal_Mills (3384 posts) -
#24 Posted by Ratcabbage (267 posts) -
#25 Posted by Armyof1 (12 posts) -

Would this be a "Darth Beta"? Eh, eh? Alright I'll be over here in the corner trying to forget I said that...

#26 Posted by Glak (580 posts) -
@Ratcabbage said:
" @Metal_Mills said:
"

Star Wars: The Old Republic (you know, from the people who brought you both  The Force Unleashed and Mass Effect). 

Brad...come on. Force Unleashed? It's not like Bioware is some small developer that's easy to confuse with. "
He's referring to Lucas Arts. "
I'm pretty sure Lucas Arts had nothing to do with Mass Effect
#27 Posted by Metal_Mills (3384 posts) -
@Ratcabbage said:
" @Metal_Mills said:
"

Star Wars: The Old Republic (you know, from the people who brought you both  The Force Unleashed and Mass Effect). 

Brad...come on. Force Unleashed? It's not like Bioware is some small developer that's easy to confuse with. "
Lucas isn't developing this and they didn't develop the force unleashed either. He could have said (From the people who brought you Monkey Island and Mass Effect). It's a really poorly written piece if he meant that.
#28 Posted by Ratcabbage (267 posts) -
@Glak said:
" @Ratcabbage said:
" @Metal_Mills said:
"

I'm pretty sure Lucas Arts had nothing to do with Mass Effect "
Both Lucas Arts and Bioware are involed with The Old Republic. So, ToR is from the makers of The Force Unleased (Lucas Arts) and Mass Effect (Bioware). 
#29 Posted by Ratcabbage (267 posts) -
@Metal_Mills said:

" @Ratcabbage said:

" @Metal_Mills said:
"

Lucas isn't developing this and they didn't develop the force unleashed either. He could have said (From the people who brought you Monkey Island and Mass Effect). It's a really poorly written piece if he meant that. "
http://www.lucasarts.com/games/theforceunleashed/
#30 Posted by Seppli (11233 posts) -

Signed up now. Fingers crossed. Looking forward for tasty leaks.

But - not that eager to get into Beta. Don't want to spoil my appetite.

#31 Posted by MeatSim (10988 posts) -

signed up a couple days ago hope I get lucky,

#32 Posted by Metal_Mills (3384 posts) -
@Ratcabbage said:

" @Metal_Mills said:

" @Ratcabbage said:

" @Metal_Mills said:
"

Lucas isn't developing this and they didn't develop the force unleashed either. He could have said (From the people who brought you Monkey Island and Mass Effect). It's a really poorly written piece if he meant that. "
http://www.lucasarts.com/games/theforceunleashed/ "
They published it. Same with this. So what?  Betheasda is publishing Doom 4. You wouldn't put "Who brought you Elder Scrolls 4 and Doom 2".
#33 Posted by Metal_Mills (3384 posts) -
@Ratcabbage said:
" @Glak said:
" @Ratcabbage said:
" @Metal_Mills said:
"

I'm pretty sure Lucas Arts had nothing to do with Mass Effect "
Both Lucas Arts and Bioware are involed with The Old Republic. So, ToR is from the makers of The Force Unleased (Lucas Arts) and Mass Effect (Bioware).  "
Lucas didn't MAKE anything, that's the point. They published.
#34 Posted by Ratcabbage (267 posts) -
@Metal_Mills: LucasArts did develop The Force Unleashed.
#35 Posted by Scooper (7920 posts) -
@Kenshiro28 said:
" @Scooper:  supposedly it's made for lower-end PCs like WoW because, y'know, they want normal people playing this game too. "
Good! That is good!
#36 Posted by Murdouken (766 posts) -

I signed up months ago. d:

#37 Posted by crusader8463 (14744 posts) -

It appears as though they forgot to send me my invite. *cries*

#38 Posted by Otzlowe (338 posts) -

So. I want to like this because it's BioWare and Star Wars, but I have incredibly low expectations for this game.

#39 Posted by Nupraptor (32 posts) -

Been signed up for the beta for nearly a year now :P

Roll on EU testing!

#40 Posted by Nephrahim (1170 posts) -

Saying Lucasarts developed a Star Wars game is like saying Nintendo developed a Zelda game.  Who on earth would make a point of that?

#41 Posted by FireSketch (851 posts) -

Signed up, although I'm not super excited for it yet. I like MMO's and I'm sure Bioware will make it special, but I'm one of the (apparently rare) people who don't like Star Wars.

#42 Posted by detectivepbert (273 posts) -

that guy in the screenshot is like a level 50 character

#43 Posted by eagleon (14 posts) -

zomg...awesomeo

#44 Posted by tariqari (478 posts) -

Hey everyone!  Let's all jump on Brad for making a silly confusing comment about Bioware making TFU and LA making ME!

#45 Posted by Stubee (402 posts) -

I was bummed as hell when this wasn't announced for 360 but now that ive seen some of it, i dont think im missing much at all. The art style reaaaly isnt my thing 

#46 Posted by superpope (131 posts) -

User agreement for the beta says that you can reveal that you've been picked, just cant talk about the game. Since no is posting topics in all caps screaming about getting in, it seems like the invites haven't been sent. 

What that means is we need a big showing of Giant Bombers to sign up so we can get another Space Neon Lobster force assembled. 

Should the sith verson be the Sith Neon Lobsters? 

Heres hoping they dont run the beta like APB with  'play windows' where the servers will only be open one or two 6 hour periods each week. I never even got to log on to test it.

#47 Posted by TaccyP (309 posts) -

Been signed up for almost 6 months, hopefully I'll get my invite soon.

#48 Posted by m1k3 (1423 posts) -

this will probably end up like all the other beta tests i signed up for in the past years. probably cause i never beta tested anything and always leave that field blank.

#49 Posted by MacGyver (290 posts) -

this might be my way back into the world of MMO's.......ahhhhh

#50 Posted by IncredibleBulk92 (949 posts) -

It's weird that demo-betas that the consoles keep using mean that real betas now have to call themselves something else.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.